Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Sin is starting a new RP!
Welcome to Espada of Alexandria. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DEW IT
KILL HIM (yes) 4 (100%)
No Anakin, it is not our way! (no) 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 4
WHAT PLOT DO YOU LIKE (PICK 2)?
As Elven Refugees pour into Viskard Kingdom, native Humans feel threatened. Movements of Pro- and Anti-Elf Sentiment grow, and when riots are met with military action people begin to choose sides. A Civil War might happen. 1 (14.3%)
The Dwarves built the siege engines that helped breach the Demon King's Castle. They stole some of the Demon King's own plans, and when they begin to build WMDs an arms race begins among all the nations. 0 (0%)
Ashyra, the desert empire, causes trouble. "Settlers" move into now-empty land that belonged to other nations. "Traders" aren't trusted, wherever they go children disappear. "Missionaries" spread fanaticism. War comes aga 4 (57.1%)
With everyone falling on hard times, demands for food, medicine, shelter, and other needs are not always met. "Some" peasants are convinced it is time for the "commoners" to seize power from the "aristocrats." Rebellion. 2 (28.6%)
I will suggest my own plot! (TELL US IN DETAIL) 0 (0%)
Let us Free-Roam and make all our own stuff! (TELL ME SOME OF YOUR IDEAS AND WHAT LANDMARKS/SIDEQUESTS/ETC YOU'D LIKE TO SEE) 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 7
WAIT *throws out hands like Robin Williams* NEW IDEA
Topic Started: June 21, 2018, 6:18 pm (416 Views)
Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
I'll be your Undertaker this evening
Okay so Gryphon Wing bombed because people stopped posting. I blame Matt. And Kaze.

We have so few people here now, it's pretty pointless to try and do anything that would rely on a larger group for epic storytelling. In fact, because we're all so busy, I'd say it's pretty pointless to do any kind of "epic storytelling," at least in the sense that we USUALLY try.

See, here's what we usually do: We start our story like EVERY story starts. At the beginning. We are Level One. We are the Rag Tag Misfits. We are the New Generation. Whatever. And we have all these ideas right? When I grow up, I'm gonna be king! When I level up, I'm gonna get that sick new Feat! When I get my next Skill Point, I'm gonna rank up my cool move into something EVEN COOLER.

That's why we RP, right? I know I do it for cool characters with hype ass fights like something out of DBZ. I know Kaze does it because he likes to break rocks with his head and fulfill his scaly fantasies. And so on and so forth.

SO WHY NOT JUST FUCKIN' DO THAT?

Here's the thing--I've been reading and watching a LOT of stuff lately that shows how an Overpowered Character--like One Punch Man, Kageyama Mob, and various Isekai Heroes blessed with all their Cheat abilities and big swingin' harem dicks--CAN, sometimes, make a story interesting. Because those stories focus on the CHARACTERS themselves, and their INTERACTIONS, and sometimes deeper stuff like philosophy and all that crap. Like how Saitama is clinically depressed because he's so strong there are no challenges for him anymore and he lives every day in perpetual boredom. Or how Mob is desperately trying to find a meaning to his life besides being "the guy who can use his powers to do anything," and thus tries to not even use his abilities at all.

SO TRY THIS IDEA ON FOR SIZE, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK, AND IF WE DO IT WE CAN USE ALL THE CHARACTERS WE ALWAYS WANTED TO USE AT END-GAME LEVELS BUT NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO.

A few quick notes:
+It's fantasy, because it always has to be and we love it.
+We PROBABLY won't use stats cause there's no real point to them. Unless you guys just absolutely have to have it.
+The only people who are here regularly enough to do this are me, Sin, Kaze, and Onis. So if we get 3/4 of a vote I'mma do it.
+Feel free, after the initial stuff is established, to come up with your own shit. Let's just throw this all together, Calatia's Throne style.

THE GENERAL IDEA

What happens to all the monster armies when the Dark Lord/Demon King is defeated? How would a Fantasy world with so many sentient creatures really function--after all, Humans in the real world have trouble finding enough resources with just us on the planet. When you throw Orcs, Lizardmen, and others into that equation, surely it's not as simple as the stories make it seem? And would "humanoid" races, like Elves and Dwarves, really be so much better than "vanilla" humans with their long lives and better magic and so on and so forth? What's more, what do the Hero and Party do after they've accomplished their mission? And what happened to the Hero's evil counterparts, the Dark Generals that once served as the Big Bad's right-hand men (or women)?

EXCERPTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

Though it had won the war, the kingdom of Viskard had not returned to peace. Razed fields did not regrow in time for the harvest, and the burnt out husks of many a town or fortress littered the countryside. Its roughly four-and-a-half million citizens had been cut by nearly a third; of those, most scholars reckoned the actual war and the sickness or starvation caused by wartime conditions had effectively broken even in their efforts to depopulate the land. With a lesser harvest, the price of food went up; so did the desperation of the peasantry, and now banditry and violent crimes rose as well. Viskard had, in its benevolence, chosen to shelter those Elves of neighboring Ascelin who no longer felt safe in the forests after their own defenses fell...but the wisdom of that decision now did not seem so, when Viskard could barely find enough for its own. On top of all this, the enemy's forces had not ceased their attacks despite the fact that their army had been shattered. Indeed, the united tribes had once more dissolved into the relatively weak and ineffectual disease that pockmarked the kingdom; but an army moved in intelligent ways, made decisions based on strategy and logistics, and especially in the army of the Demon King, the soldiers followed generals and the generals followed their ruler. When the Demon King fell, this cohesive structure fell apart. Now, Orcs raided settlements when and wherever they pleased. Lizardmen rode their rafts and canoes down the rivers and coasts, taking to shore in the night and off with their ill-gotten booty before first light. Greater beasts, freed from chains and riders, hunted the roads with ravenous appetites. The Royal Army had become too spread out, securing the borders and aiding in recovery, and these groups were often so small that they were done and away with their wicked deeds before a regiment could even start a march.

No, Viskard had not yet won its peace. But it had not lost its hope either. Where the local Watch or the militia could not handle problems outside their experience, or the Army could not spare the men and supplies, a third group entered the picture: the Adventurer's Guild. Everyone knew they were just dressed up mercenaries--these were not story times, and gone were the naive days of doing something out of the goodness of one's heart--but they would certainly do the job if the coin was good and they were able. The Hero himself--who now they called Prince, because he was betrothed to Viskard's Princess and soon would be their new King--had come from the Adventurer's Guild, in the beginning. Many soldiers had joined their ranks recently, as their service had ended yet their homes were little more than ash. Many young men looking for something other than highway robbery to fill their empty purses had joined as well--if anyone had gotten some sort of profit from all this, it was the Guild's due collectors. But, it seemed as though, as of late, some rather strange characters, even for this raggedy bunch, had begun to show up...

The Elvin King Gwennaiel of Ascelin still lived, it seemed, despite a large portion of his kingdom being in shambles and their sacred forest charred to ash. One of the Archdevils had cursed the elf king as well..._______ wondered if he would still be alive by the time they got there. He knew for certain that there were only three of the seven dwarf Mountain Lords left in the Oberlands, and the region had been torn between recovery from the war and civil unrest as the various clans jockeyed for the remaining thrones. Ashyra and its Sultan, on the other hand, had made out like bandits in all of this. The desert nation had been the furthest from the front lines, and had allied themselves with the others mostly so they could cut out a chunk of plunder for themselves and call it goodwill. There were even some rumors going about that they had used their assistance in the war to leverage trade, and that they were spending their new wealth to prepare for another war.

There were even rulers from across the ocean, in places like Jiang-Hu and Wakoku. ________ wondered if they had ever even heard of Demon Kings. From what he had seen at the docks, they were reserved peoples who didn't meddle much with the rest of the world, although Wakoku had some kind of warrior caste that liked to go on what they called "Warrior's Pilgrimage." One of these sword masters had been part of the Hero's Companions, and if you judged him solely on fencing ability Grayson doubted the man had an equal.

But of course, the closest of these leaders of men were King Alvis Viskardes IV and Queen Lynnette of Viskard. And their daughter, Princess Runa, had been betrothed to the Hero himself.

((By a Character who Hates Elves))

The hills evened out into plains, but as their travel wore on the grass began to yellow. Soon the fields were patchy, the dirt cracked. When the trees of Ascelin--the so called Sea of Trees--finally came into view, the famous old-growth canopy was bare and blackened. Ancient hardwoods, ash and oak and yew, all rendered into twisted, dry and cracked remnants of themselves. They only passed one battlefield, but _______ remembered it, and there were still many weapons--most of them rusted or chipped beyond use now--planted upright in the ground where their masters had fallen.

But there were still parts of the forest that had not been burned or scarred by the war, and after a year some of the regrowth efforts were beginning to show fruit. The closer the roads came to the heart of the forest, the trees closing in around them until the carriage could barely get through, the more green it became and the thicker the underbrush. _______ had dozed for most of the trip thus far, but now he sat upright and watched their windows like a hawk. Every so often he saw flickers of movement and heard birdsong, and he knew that these things were not what they seemed.

He hated Elves. Like Dwarves, they tended to live longer than humans--a human lifespan, at best, topped out around eighty these days unless they were very lucky or had magic, whereas Dwarves and Elves could both easily make it to two hundred--but unlike the Dwarves who had adapted to an extremely rigorous environment in the mountains and had hearty bodies, _______ was convinced that the reason Elves lived so long was because they never did anything, and so never spent their energy or effort. The High Elves were just as bad, but they at least had some get-up-and-go and ambition in them...or they had, before they had wiped themselves out in a fantastic display of stupidity centuries ago. But these dregs weren't even a shadow of their former selves.

The Elves prided themselves on their communion with nature, and the race's inborn magic was an extra sense for the flow of life--they were so sensitive, in fact, that one of the things other races laughed at them about was their tendency to burst into tears or start shaking with rage at so much as the implication that something was not as they felt it should be...sometimes they were so overcome they would shut down into a near catatonic state, ridiculed by other races with the phrase, "Elves just can't even." Nonetheless, their connection with nature had driven them, in times long ago, to migrate to the lands richest in natural resources and claim them for themselves...and then promptly do almost absolutely nothing with them.

Some might argue, well why should they? No need to farm when you can just pluck fruit from the nearest tree, shake berries out of a bush, break off a root, or even just shove flowers into your stupid pointy face. No need to learn more than the basics of architecture when the trees grew so big their hollows could fit a family, or when you could find some animal's abandoned hole in the ground and use a single leaf for a blanket. Because of their natural life force and how rich the forest's bounty was, they had barely even developed medicine up until other races had started to trade knowledge and ingredients with them.

Because of their sensitivity, they couldn't bear to kill animals either, so they were naturally thin and, in _______ opinion, weak and gangly looking. Only their warriors ate meat--because at some point they must have learned they had to if they wanted any muscle--and even then there were all sorts of ceremonies about "giving thanks" and "cleansing the bloodlust." Forests weren't much good for mining metal either, so while their bows, spears, and magics were considered of excellent quality they didn't have the raw materials or the ambition (because they never really had much reason to develop it, like anything else) to develop the technology and metallurgy that the Human and Dwarven Kingdoms had in spades. That was a major reason why the Demon King had decided to hit them first, and to press them the hardest until Viskard proved itself enough of a threat that they had to focus their efforts on it lest they be spread too thin.

Yet despite all these flaws, the Elves felt like they were so much better than any other race, that they were so special and unique and anyone who said otherwise about them was a hateful bigot. They liked to claim that they had such a long and illustrious history, and that they had created a perfect paradise where nothing was wasted and no one was greedy and everyone shared everything. But _______ always figured it just dragged them all down to the level of the lowest common denominator, and thus their society as a whole had been outdone in almost every aspect. The only thing they had over other races is that they had a higher capacity for magic than Dwarves, which combined with their long lives allowed them to study and research and amass more knowledge than any other race of wizard or witch.

But too bad, that hadn't been enough to save them. Archdevil Virulentus had cast a curse on their King, Gwennaiel, that had wracked his body with consumption and destroyed his "defenses against nature," meaning that the very thing the Elves loved so much was now killing him, as if he had no immunity to any sickness, any toxin. _______ wondered how he had made it this far. But, in the end, Ascelin was probably still doomed; they had no heir, their king was going to die soon, at least a third of their territory, if not half, had been so thoroughly destroyed that it would take at least a century to recover, and their people were fleeing to the safety of other nations that were just as hard pressed to provide for them.

They finally arrived at Ashvatha, the elven capital. The trees here were larger than anywhere else, their trunks so massive twenty people couldn't have linked hands around it, and they had been coaxed to grow out wide branches that intertwined to make bridges or support structures built upon them. Spiral staircases wound about their trunks like vines, and where their roots arched up like great serpents cloths and tarps had been stretched down from them to form huge tents. Walls were mostly wattle-and-daub with preserving coats of paint or resin over them, or logs fitted together through simple notching and a little bit of thatch here and there. It looked nice enough at first glance, but as one walked the roads--simple paths that had been worn by time, never paved or cobbled--and saw more and more of the blemishes--the burned and broken husks, the snapped branches and collapsed bridges--it became obvious that for all their beauty and the lifespans of their creators, the works of the Elves were fragile.

ALL OF THE ABOVE MAY BE CHANGED AS NEEDED SO LONG AS IT STAYS AN INTERESTING NARRATIVE AND NOT 100% PURE WISH FULFILLMENT

So what do you guys think? Wanna make some End-Game, Overpowered as Fuck Characters, and wander around in a world where the "Story" has already happened, and we're having to find our place in the world and deal with all the consequences?
PM Offline Member Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sin
Member Avatar
Slow and steady...
I'll say I'm not a huge fan of being overpowered from the get-go.

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
Sin
June 21, 2018, 6:53 pm
I'll say I'm not a huge fan of being overpowered from the get-go.
Maybe not overpowered as in "can easily handle anything without any kind of struggle at all" but more like...fully realized? Like, whatever this character was intended to "work up to," that's the level they're at?

It's not that the character doesn't have any more growth to do in terms of their actual CHARACTER, they can still form relationships and change their ways of thinking and explore aspects of their personality and whatever. And maybe they CAN even gain a few new powers if you'd like to do that.

But I'm just saying skip all the rigmarole of starting at level one, helping the Innkeeper clear his basement of Dire Rats or whatever--unless what you find fun is to go into the basement, and then just immediately set the entire thing on fire and obliterate the rats with a snap of your fingers.

Think of it as a sort of free-form thing like Calatia's Throne, maybe?

oniskieth
Member Avatar
The Silver Light
I like the idea and would join. It would be a nice change of pace, but we would probably have to draw a line somewhere on powerscales.

Alternatively, we could take this same idea and reapply it to Gryphon Wing. I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I was really fond of our characters. Sin has mentioned liking ivory, so S Rank trials anyone?
Edited by oniskieth, June 21, 2018, 8:34 pm.
Katherine's Approval

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
oniskieth
June 21, 2018, 8:21 pm
I like the idea and would join. It would be a nice change of pace, but we would probably have to draw a line somewhere on powerscales.

Alternatively, we could take this same idea and reapply it to Gryphon Wing. I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I was really fond of our characters. Sin has mentioned liking ivory, so S Rank trials anyone?
I think for powerscales, we'd want something less OMG RIDICULOUS like One Punch Man, Dragon Ball Z, or anything where someone can literally destroy a planet or depopulate an entire nation or continent with few problems.

I think the upper tier of stuff like the Fate Series--a sword that can cut dimensions, but has lots of conditions before it can even be drawn; a muscular hero capable of withstanding a building falling on them and using an entire tree as a javelin; a person whose regeneration abilities makes them impossible to decapitate or dismember but who could still be choked out or drowned--things like that would work. Basically a world where moving at the speed of sound, or having line-of-sight teleportation, or being able to create artillery-level blasts of power, would be pretty much top tier abilities in terms of raw ability, and then where your "weird Hax" type powers could potentially be more broken than that, but would always have these different catches or weaknesses in their usage.

As for Gryphon Wing...I mean, I GUESS I could puppet Matt and Kaze's characters until we get to a point where we could leave them behind and then me, you, and Sin go on an adventure, but I just feel like it'd leave such gaping plot holes, you know? Maybe just reboot it completely again, but I hate to just discard it and start over when I had all these ideas. Almost feels better to leave it unfinished as a testament.

oniskieth
Member Avatar
The Silver Light
Onime No Ryu
June 22, 2018, 3:40 pm
oniskieth
June 21, 2018, 8:21 pm

I think for powerscales, we'd want something less OMG RIDICULOUS like One Punch Man, Dragon Ball Z, or anything where someone can literally destroy a planet or depopulate an entire nation or continent with few problems.

I think the upper tier of stuff like the Fate Series--a sword that can cut dimensions, but has lots of conditions before it can even be drawn; a muscular hero capable of withstanding a building falling on them and using an entire tree as a javelin; a person whose regeneration abilities makes them impossible to decapitate or dismember but who could still be choked out or drowned--things like that would work. Basically a world where moving at the speed of sound, or having line-of-sight teleportation, or being able to create artillery-level blasts of power, would be pretty much top tier abilities in terms of raw ability, and then where your "weird Hax" type powers could potentially be more broken than that, but would always have these different catches or weaknesses in their usage.

As for Gryphon Wing...I mean, I GUESS I could puppet Matt and Kaze's characters until we get to a point where we could leave them behind and then me, you, and Sin go on an adventure, but I just feel like it'd leave such gaping plot holes, you know? Maybe just reboot it completely again, but I hate to just discard it and start over when I had all these ideas. Almost feels better to leave it unfinished as a testament.
Like, let's not even continue the current quest and just jump ahead like 1-4 years. We can use our same characters and not even reference that one time. It would basically be a soft reset and put us at that power level (atleast for fairy tail)
Edited by oniskieth, June 22, 2018, 4:24 pm.
Katherine's Approval

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
oniskieth
June 22, 2018, 4:14 pm
Like, let's not even continue the current quest and just jump ahead like 1-4 years. We can use our same characters and not even reference that one time. It would basically be a soft reset and put us at that power level (atleast for fairy tail)
Well, another thing about that now that I'm thinking on it, though.

An RP like that NEEDS the slower start and the build up over time. Our characters don't have as much impact, or get as much development, or interact and bond with each other and with the NPCs as much, if we just jump straight to the S-Class Trials or the Grand Magic Games. The whole theme of Fairy Tail is Friendship and Family, so without the bonds based around that all the cool magic battles fall flat.

I think if we did anything, we'd just need to do a soft reset and start the mission over without Kaze and Matt's characters being there or something.

EDIT but in all honesty i do kinda wanna give this thing a try cause I have at least one character for sure i think would be cool as fuck to use but really doubt I'd ever get to use him outside of this kind of setting where being OP is okay >_>
Edited by Onime No Ryu, June 22, 2018, 4:38 pm.

oniskieth
Member Avatar
The Silver Light
I'm down for either option. If we use the world from your original post how much freedom would we have in backstories? I have a lich character I've been itching to use for a while.
Katherine's Approval

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
oniskieth
June 22, 2018, 6:00 pm
I'm down for either option. If we use the world from your original post how much freedom would we have in backstories? I have a lich character I've been itching to use for a while.
as much freedom as you need I guess, as long as it's not some stupid stuff that just sounds ridiculous (cough Octy) and as long as it doesn't contradict TOO much stuff--if people don't like certain names, or how certain races are, they can feel free to change that. The Excerpts I posted were mostly just to give an idea of the "flavor" of the world--it's war torn, life sucks for the common person, the Dwarves and Elves and all the other Races have their own problems, none of them are perfect or better than Humans in every conceivable way, etc. At the same time there's tons of adventure, monsters to fight, ruins to explore, etc.

A Lich would work pretty good in terms of flavor and OPness, but they wouldn't be the ULTIMATE end tier bad guy like in D&D. Cause this is a world where the Demon King/Dark Lord/Whatever united all the "monsters" under HIS rule, meaning whatever species he was is the strongest. More than likely that means some kind of Archdevil or Satan himself or something.

Is your Lich gonna be like Steve?

Posted Image

oniskieth
Member Avatar
The Silver Light
Onime No Ryu
June 22, 2018, 7:22 pm
oniskieth
June 22, 2018, 6:00 pm
as much freedom as you need I guess, as long as it's not some stupid stuff that just sounds ridiculous (cough Octy) and as long as it doesn't contradict TOO much stuff--if people don't like certain names, or how certain races are, they can feel free to change that. The Excerpts I posted were mostly just to give an idea of the "flavor" of the world--it's war torn, life sucks for the common person, the Dwarves and Elves and all the other Races have their own problems, none of them are perfect or better than Humans in every conceivable way, etc. At the same time there's tons of adventure, monsters to fight, ruins to explore, etc.

A Lich would work pretty good in terms of flavor and OPness, but they wouldn't be the ULTIMATE end tier bad guy like in D&D. Cause this is a world where the Demon King/Dark Lord/Whatever united all the "monsters" under HIS rule, meaning whatever species he was is the strongest. More than likely that means some kind of Archdevil or Satan himself or something.

Is your Lich gonna be like Steve?

Posted Image
Less steve more Arthas.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Katherine's Approval

Primera Espada Yggdra
Member Avatar
The Kitty Cat, Mew!~
Personally, I think this is a breath of fresh air. The whole "start from level 1 and kill all the weak goblins" kind of thing every single time has become super boring for me. The fact that our RPs also tend to die before we actually blow things up is also an adding factor. At this point, there's nothing to lose by experimenting with new ideas.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Because...

My Imagination When talking with you. - Person A

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
Primera Espada Yggdra
June 22, 2018, 9:53 pm
Personally, I think this is a breath of fresh air. The whole "start from level 1 and kill all the weak goblins" kind of thing every single time has become super boring for me. The fact that our RPs also tend to die before we actually blow things up is also an adding factor. At this point, there's nothing to lose by experimenting with new ideas.
EXACTLY, WE NEVER GET TO BLOW STUFF UP REAL BIG OR UNLEASH OUR DEVASTATING FINISHING MOVES OR TRANSFORM WITH OUR SUPER SAIYAN BANKAIS.

Would your schedule let you do this on the reg, tho? No offense Yggy but you haven't been active in a long time, I don't want people to join in and then bail suddenly *glares at Matt*

Also no copying Sin's dragonkin or whatever she makes this time.

Kazemitsu
Member Avatar
Assassin
Dragon-kin are MY thing, tyvm.
Posted Image

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
Here's a CS for you guys, since things like stats and skill ranks probably won't be used for this I think we can afford to change up our usual template too.

Also, I've found when I struggle with figuring out "who" a character is, not just what they do in a fight or what powers they have, using THIS website helps me A LOT. Using it is easy--you read through it, and then think about which set of Ego, Self, and Soul matches your character. Based on those archetypes, you mix and match a little bit based on what you've ALREADY decided about your character--for example, I've decided my character wants to be strong, and pursue the Goal of "expert mastery in a way that improves the world." But WHY is he pursuing that goal? If his Core Desire is "to protect and care for others," then his quest to be the Best There Ever Was or the World's Strongest Man takes on an entirely different meaning than if his Core Desire was instead "revenge or revolution."

By mixing, matching, combining, or compromising between the Three Archetypes that make up the One Character, I tend to get a WAY BETTER picture of who my character actually IS.

BLANK CS

MY CHARACTER EXAMPLE

CODE CS

If you guys think that's too much shit or think the format could be streamlined in some way, feel free to do so yourself when you submit a character or to make suggestions to change the overall form if you think other people would prefer your idea.

EDIT: 1st suggestions are to get rid of the Details and Personality sections. I had kind of hoped this would help lend to other people's writing, since they know more about another character they are describing THEIR character seeing, and that the other stuff would help develop the character since they won't be going through the whole "beginning of the adventure" where we form bonds with each other and learn what each character is about. But I agree that in some aspects it's too much and that most of the details would also be covered by the appearance. Is anyone else in favor of removing these sections?

EDIT 2: HELP ME PICK AN IMAGE TO USE AS GRAYSON THE BLACK KNIGHT'S APPEARANCE CAUSE I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD USE THAT ONE UP THERE OR A DIFFERENT ONE
CHOICES
Edited by Onime No Ryu, June 23, 2018, 8:26 pm.

Primera Espada Yggdra
Member Avatar
The Kitty Cat, Mew!~
Onime No Ryu
June 23, 2018, 4:49 am
Primera Espada Yggdra
June 22, 2018, 9:53 pm
EXACTLY, WE NEVER GET TO BLOW STUFF UP REAL BIG OR UNLEASH OUR DEVASTATING FINISHING MOVES OR TRANSFORM WITH OUR SUPER SAIYAN BANKAIS.

Would your schedule let you do this on the reg, tho? No offense Yggy but you haven't been active in a long time, I don't want people to join in and then bail suddenly *glares at Matt*

Also no copying Sin's dragonkin or whatever she makes this time.
I think schedule-wise I would be fine just I won't be online 24/7.. Heads up though, I'll be away on vacation in two weeks for a week duration though.

Choice 2 doesn't look very black knight. Choice 3 aka Charles Henri Sanson doesn't look intimidating enough. Choice 4 aka Lancelot maybe could work except for the suit. Choice 5 looks decent enough. Choice 6 aka younger Iskandar... meh. Choice 7 aka something from Granblue doesn't feel very black knight.
Because...

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
Primera Espada Yggdra
June 23, 2018, 10:49 pm
Choice 2 doesn't look very black knight. Choice 3 aka Charles Henri Sanson doesn't look intimidating enough. Choice 4 aka Lancelot maybe could work except for the suit. Choice 5 looks decent enough. Choice 6 aka younger Iskandar... meh. Choice 7 aka something from Granblue doesn't feel very black knight.
They're all stolen images from an imageboard basically because I don't have the time or skill or patience to draw things very much anymore. If I ever work my way back into doing it I'm going to try using a more realistic or painterly style anyway and go for a more Greek/Roman/Western Europe aesthetic instead of anime all the time because I want to reconnect with my heritage, but I'm having to basically start over from scratch because drawing nothing but anime fucks up your fundamentals when it comes to anatomy, proportion, and posing.

oniskieth
Member Avatar
The Silver Light

Posted Image

Posted Image

Snowflake Lullaby

”All things die.”

Backstory
When the Demon King first rose to power it created powerful entities to fill its ranks. Among these monstrosities came the dread tree, Daudrasil. From the murdered core of the ancient Water Elemental Hydrassion, a branch of the Divine Tree, and the Demon King’s own seed the Dread Tree took root in the throat of the world. With the powers of life and water forever bastardized, the Demon King laughed as the north was wrapped in a never ending winter and the dead rose to serve their new master.

Bound by the Demon King’s terrible will, Daudrasil enslaved countless souls within its branches and sought to create vessels to spread its evil to the warm lands beyond its domain. From the corpses of might mages, the dread tree created the first of its many Liches.

As the war waged on, brave adventures journeyed to the farthest reaches north and burned Daudrasil to the ground. As the tree was engulfed in flames, the undead were freed of their slavery. Most souls were corrupted beyond redemption, but a handful gained sentience and control over their new forms.

From a dark lair, Skorge journeyed forth into the new world, unsure of his humanity and what life offered the last Lich.

Details

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 27 Lbs
Eyes: None
Hair: None
Aura: Cold, Ominous, Forsaken

Personality

Goals:
+ To care for its pet cat
+ To regain lost humanity
+ To remember lost life
+ To find a place where he is welcome
Notable Traits:
+ How do you BEHAVE on a GENERAL BASIS?
+ How do you behave in JUST A FEW specific instances?
+ What other notable traits do you think this character has?
Weaknesses:
+ Foreboding demeanor
+ Ignorantly apathetic
+ Unhinged from enslavement
Fears:
+ Soul becoming corrupted
+ Daudrasil returning
+ Becoming a mindless slave
+ Loneliness
+ Animals
+ Painting/Art
Hates:
+ Immortallity

Abilities

Necromancy
Skorge commands great control over the dead, though he never enslaves souls and chooses to only reanimate dead bodies using his own soul.

Ice Sorcery
Daudrasil's speciality, Ice Magic allows the user to manipulate or create the element of ice

Telepathy
Skorge is able to speak directly to the soul of another through his own. He also hears the anguished screams of lost souls.
Edited by oniskieth, June 25, 2018, 8:50 am.
Katherine's Approval

Primera Espada Yggdra
Member Avatar
The Kitty Cat, Mew!~
Inanna Uruk

Posted Image

Goddess of Rhongomyniad

"This kingdom has grown uninteresting. There is nothing but ugly rabble running amok and its defenders are no more than ants to be swatted. The people have become uninspiring."

Backstory

During the war against the Demon King, all sorts of people emerged to combat the darkness. Among them was Inanna, who seemingly appeared out of the blue as no one really knew who she was. Her skills quickly gained her recognition that distinguished her from the rank-and-files that dominated the coalition army, although she never had a real opportunity to fight the Demon King himself or his subordinates.

When the war ended and the rebuilding of Viskard commenced, Inanna felt unsatisfied with the results. Though she had power, she felt she was unable to really use it, let alone being able to actually enjoy a battle as the strongest opponents she actually fought against were easily-swatted minor officers in the Demon King's army. The strength and bravery she saw from the war was no longer there as the militias, the main defenders against the scattered remnants of monsters, lacked either of those qualities. The invading monsters that were left were too easy for her to defeat and the extent of the kingdom's ruination left the society dull.

A year has passed and everything remained mostly the same, but Inanna knew that the world is ever changing and one day she may get another opportunity to find what she's looking for.

Details

Height:
5'7
Weight:
Are you really going to ask a girl her weight?
Eyes:
Blue, sharp, passive
Hair:
Grayish-white, silky
Aura:
Radiant that invokes awe with a hint a mysteriousness.

Personality

Goals:
- To live a life full of interest, entertainment and satisfaction.
- Secretly wants to see the country rise to greatness with a strong people, even if it has to resort with her taking over the country.
- Has secretly considered marriage.
- Wants the opportunity to fight and defeat powerful and worthy opponents.

Notable Traits:
- Generally looks emotionless and bored. The expression disappears when she finds something interesting.
- Will apply minimal effort in battle against the weak are those she doesn't consider to be worthy, but will try hard if she finds a worthy opponent or if her life really depends on it. She may also choose to take a battle seriously depending on the reason for the fight in the first place.
- Warmer and generous towards those who she is willing to respect.
- Has a habit of collecting weapons from fallen enemies as prizes.

Weaknesses:
- Can underestimate those she deems to be weak or unworthy in combat, hence will also apply minimal effort in combat. If she is bored enough, she will leave the battlefield. However if there is a righteous cause and there's nobody else to do it, she may stay.
- Does not take insults kindly. Will utilize force if necessary as a means to teach a lesson.
- Will insult those she considers to be scum, which would mostly include criminals and those who inflict horrifying injustices.
- Blunt when giving criticism.
- May be socially awkward to those she grows warm enough towards.

Fears:
- Living a life of boredom and dying with a lack of satisfaction.
- Being denied the opportunity fight worthy and powerful opponents.
- Being enslaved, humiliated and violated.

- People with conviction.
- People with loyalty.
- Quality commodities, including luxurious items.
- Sweet foods.
- Entertainment, including actions committed by others that she finds to be interesting enough.

Hates:
- Those who are weak and foolish.
- Criminals of all kinds and those who commit horrifying injustices (which is the majority of those she considers scum).
- Mindless beasts.
- The corrupt, especially those in government positions.
- Dirty and messy environments.
- Slavery.

Abilities

Flight of the Legion
She is able to summon her collection of weapons from her stash in any amount, enchanted by magic, where she can utilize them as projectiles and control them telepathically. Weapons that collide into objects disintegrate back into the stash.

Danger Perception
She can sense hostile intent from people in a relatively close proximity around her.

Serpent's Gaze
Making eye contact with a target as her eye pupils transform into the shape of a lizard's, she can render them completely immobilized.

Ereshkigal
A sword she carries around but seems to have it sheathed at all times. What is the secret of this weapon?

Edited by Primera Espada Yggdra, June 27, 2018, 1:34 am.
Because...

Sin
Member Avatar
Slow and steady...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Theme Music
Mud and Lead, Blood Red
Zombie

I serve only one purpose...

Backstory
Deaestra's story began with the abduction of her little sister, Lieri several years ago when they were both young. Lieri was taken because of a special mutation within her body that made her very unique, possessing traits of classic Vampirism. While not unique like her sister, Deaestra had powers of her own, granted to her by her mixed race origin. Her mother, a human and her father a Celestial; their union guaranteed that the children would be special.

Deaestra, at the behest of her sister's captors, acted as an extension of their will, performing jobs and tasks that they instructed her to, all with the promise that if she did as they requested, her sister would be freed. This went on for years, always with the explanation being "just one more task" yet she never did get to see her sister... no confirmation if she was even alive, not a word.

Deaestra was eventually defeated in battle by a group of heroes who, instead of killing her, gave her the option to aid them so that she could strike back against her sister's captors and free her herself. Deaestra accepted the proposition and accompanied the heroes, her only desire being to find her sister so that they could be together again.

Details
Looking at Deaestra as an outsider, one would immediately notice her exotic appearance, suggesting as to her Celestial heritage. Her bright platinum hair and violet eyes contrast significantly with her dark skin. A petite woman, standing at only five feet, two inches tall and weighing a feathery ninety pounds, she does not leave an imposing visage.

She wears a simple violet gown, leather shoes and several bracelets. A long pale blue coat with a fur collar is worn to keep warm in cooler weather. Finally, a gold hairband, choker and stud earrings are worn as accessories.

Height:
5' 2"

Weight:
85 lbs.

Eyes:
Violet

Hair:
Platinum, short

Personality
Meek and undemanding, Deaestra is never the most talkative person in the room. She more often than not offers no resistance to plans or schemes and will simply do as instructed.

Goals:
■ To find and free her sister, Lieri ■

Notable Traits:
■ Very loyal ■
■ Follows orders and commands to the best of her ability ■

Weaknesses:
■ Meek ■
■ Quiet ■
■ Physically inept and fragile ■

Fears:
■ Harm coming to her sister, Lieri ■

Hates:
■ People who threaten her sister, Lieri ■

Abilities

God's Eye
Deaestra possesses an instrument called the 'God's Eye' that was given to her by her father. The Eye is a golden sphere roughly the size of her head that has an eye etched into one side. The eye constantly glows a bright yellow colour. Many smaller golden spheres follow the Eye and the collection move and act based on Deaestra's will allowing for a large variety of uses from attacking and defending to compensating for her frail body's inadequacies.

Celestial Dominion
Much like her father, Deaestra possesses dominion over the energies provided by light which she can manipulate in order to attack, defend or support herself or others. Her understanding of said manipulation is stunted however so she will never be able to wield power anything close to that of a full-blooded Celestial.

Kazemitsu
Member Avatar
Assassin
Spoiler: click to toggle
Posted Image

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
oniskieth

SKORGE SOULWHISPER
BORN OF THE DREAD TREE, DAUDRASIL, WHICH IN THE OLD TONGUE MEANS "METAL AS FUCK"
A MAGICAL, ICY, BONY BOI

PERFECT. Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! Still need to finish a few traits but it's easy to see this is pretty much the standard for what kind of characters we should expect to see, provided we're going for "the end-game dudes who are left to deal with the fallout now that the Hero has killed the shit out of the Demon King."

Yggdra

FIRST-NAME-REFERENCE-TO-MESOPOTAMIAN-PANTHEON, LAST-NAME-REFERENCE-TO-MESOPOTAMIAN-PANTHEON
LANCER ARTURIA, GILGAMESH FROM THE MESOPOTAMIAN PANTHEON, THOSE TWO PSEUDO-SERVANTS POSSESSING RIN TOHSAKA (FROM THE MESOPOTAMIAN PANTHEON)
EVEN MORE GILGAMESH AND EVEN AN "EA" THAT ISN'T CALLED EA

I don't actually care about originality because I'm basically playing Lancelot with access to the Gate of Babylon myself. But see that's also kind of the problem, or at least the combat-oriented one--your character and mine are basically going to do the same thing, using a stash of weaponry they've collected with all different kinds of shapes, sizes, and enchantments. The only difference in their combat style is going to be that my guy actually uses the weapons, and your girl is going to launch them like missiles.

Aside from that, though, there are some things that aren't really PROBLEMS so much as they are just things I worry about when it comes to CHARACTER INTERACTION.

1) She wants to take over a kingdom.
While this could definitely be worked in somehow, and could even drive a lot of plot-significant things, this goal and the rest of her personality immediately establish two things to me. One, she's going to think and act as if she is better than everyone else and Two, she is going to act as if the things she does, the choices she makes, her methods of ruling, etc etc are DA BEST EVAH no matter how much the circumstances actually happening around her, or the other people in contact with her, observe and establish that the things she does, the choices she makes, or her methods of ruling are NOT da best evah. I worry that it's going to be just like Eduardo was in VoC, and just like Thalia was in DUSK--both of those characters weren't just "convinced" they were in the right; they weren't just ACTING that way but then getting shown up by the real world until they finally broke and admitted "okay, I was wrong, I've got to try changing something or doing something new and different," or otherwise made some kind of character development or at least addressed the issue in interaction with other characters. Those characters weren't just CONVINCED they were in the right, whenever you posted the NARRATIVE with them, you had the NARRATIVE ITSELF ASSUME that they were also in the right. It basically created this weird, sometimes hilarious and sometimes incredibly cringy effect where we would read a post from everyone else establishing "What is Really Happening Right Now," and then Ed or Thalia's post where it was basically "What is Happening In the Make-Believe World of This Character." And I'd REALLY like to AVOID that.

2) She wants to find exciting battles and meet interesting people, but belittles, doesn't care about, insults, etc people that are weak or uninteresting or "scum." And like with ruling the kingdom, she "might" be motivated by a righteous cause.
For one thing, it contradicts itself and then REMOVES her ability to get involved in a lot of things right off the bat. Much like a carbon-copy of Grayson's own motivations of battle, glory, etc, but twisted the wrong way around--Grayson doesn't like "weak" people either, but he doesn't leave the battlefield because of boredom. He would get angry, and be more vicious towards those he blames for that anger, but he doesn't REMOVE himself from the situation. Your character, on the other hand, would not only just waltz out if she wasn't entertained enough, she would probably also ACTIVELY AVOID things that don't immediately catch her interest--as 90% of things probably won't, because the idea here is that most of the characters aren't going to be challenged in life-or-death scenarios the way they would in other RPs, because we've surpassed the usual power thresholds. At the same time, her "self-righteous" attitude immediately screams at me in a way that reinforces the issues I talked about in (1), and also tells me she's going to be INCREDIBLY STUBBORN in insisting that her way is the RIGHT and ONLY way.

3) Her desire for battles, for interesting people, and for defeating interesting people in battles, is going to IMMEDIATELY and CONSTANTLY set her in opposition to other players.
It just screams "PVP" at the top of its lungs. Grayson is also a blood knight who wants to fight, and all of the OP characters are probably going to strike her as "interesting." But the problem is, PVP is not the point of this RP. It's not about who has the biggest swingingest dick. It's about having fun with these characters in this free-roaming world. And if every meeting with your character has the possibility to turn into a never ending, world-shattering battle between two OP beings, it's going to take away from the rest of the fun--which is seeing how these world-shattering OP beings deal with THE REST OF THE WORLD.

I'd like to see these three fears, especially, addressed in some way, whether that be PMing me your plans if you're worried about giving away spoilers, or just changing up some things to really get at the "meat" of this character, and not just the "action figure" bits that are all based around combat and thus can't be incorporated into a story where combat is easy and not the end-all-be-all goal.

Sin

Deaestra Vinheim
A cutie-patootie with a sad story :(
Non-OP and adorable, must be protected!

It looks good, maybe working her backstory and the search for Lieri into something plot related would be cool! Also interested in seeing how she'll battle with her weapon, I've seen a couple of "floating orb/chakram/object" type fighters before but I think this is the first time one's been in an RP (not counting Frontier Tales, at least).

Kaze

Rafael
A BABBY BOI WITH NO BACKSTORY
HE'S JUST A POOR BOI NOBODY LOVES HIM

Honestly, thanks to the fact that you've actually put some work into a personality and given him some humanizing traits and something to work towards, he IS one of your better characters. But this is really probably the BEST example yet of WHY YOU NEED TO DO BACKSTORIES.

We know basically nothing about him as a being, outside of his personality. What he's based on, what his origins were, whether he's a mutant, or cursed, or a specific type of demon, nothing. And that makes it REALLY hard to incorporate anything about him into a plotline--How is he supposed to "find a way to return to normal," if we don't know WHAT was normal for him to begin with, or if we have NO CLUE how he got like this? You don't need to spoil the whole thing or give us a novel's worth of history, but we need SOMETHING to go on. Was he created by the Demon King as a new type of super soldier? If so, maybe the search for his "cure" starts in one of the ancient magical tower dungeons where the Demon King once did experiments. Stuff like that is what needs to be in the backstory! THAT'S WHY IT'S IMPORTANT.

I'M GONNA ADD A POLL IN A BIT MAKE SURE TO VOTE IN IT

EDIT: ALSO HERE'S A MAP.
Posted Image

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK THE DETAILS SHOULD LOOK LIKE AND WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO ADD.
Edited by Onime No Ryu, June 25, 2018, 5:31 pm.

oniskieth
Member Avatar
The Silver Light
To me, it seems odd that a desert would be so close to the planet's north pole. Obviously this isn't Earth, but the desert should be closer to the planet's equator. I suggest swapping the Demon King's Former Territory and Ashyra/Hellscape. Maybe even flipping everything between the two for good measure. I also think it would make sense for the Demon King's Territory to be close to the former domain of Daudrasil. That way it's less random that he crossed the continent to plant the demon tree, and it would make everything beyond Oberland a good, singular forsaken land.
Edited by oniskieth, June 25, 2018, 5:58 pm.
Katherine's Approval

Onime No Ryu
Member Avatar
oniskieth
June 25, 2018, 5:55 pm
To me, it seems odd that a desert would be so close to the planet's north pole. Obviously this isn't Earth, but the desert should be closer to the planet's equator. I suggest swapping the Demon King's Former Territory and Ashyra/Hellscape. Maybe even flipping everything between the two for good measure. I also think it would make sense for the Demon King's Territory to be close to the former domain of Daudrasil. That way it's less random that he crossed the continent to plant the demon tree.
A desert technically doesn't HAVE to be hot. The plan was for the Oberland Mountains to be part of the cause of the desertification, with the way wind and rain are affected by large mountain ranges, and the lands they block from receiving that weather become deserts. The further north you go, the colder the desert becomes overall, but with no trees for cover, no water or wind to cool things down, and with the sun beating down all the time, THAT'S what makes a desert hot. But what makes it a DESERT is the lack of precipitation.

But it's mostly only there cause I wanted the Oberland mountains to be..."over" the other lands. And a desert always has to be divided from civilized lands by a mountain range in fantasy.

Good point about the Demon King crossing the continent though. I'll do some research on desert formations, and probably make some of those changes you suggested.

Primera Espada Yggdra
Member Avatar
The Kitty Cat, Mew!~
Seeing that the majority vote is fighting against Ashyra, what ideas so far do you have on this desert empire? What can you tell us about the caliph, the ruler of the empire? Social norms, social conditions? Are the rural areas a lot more rough than the urban areas? Etc.
Because...

oniskieth
Member Avatar
The Silver Light
For introductions, I would prefer it if someone(s) stumbled upon Skorge, either in his lair or out in the field. I can hold off on posting for a few days to get everyone moving towards the first big encounter, and use that time to describe Skorge's library and what not. I can also put him out in the open so everyone crosses paths.

It all depends on how the RP starts, of course. I wasn't planning for Skorge to look like anything but a floating/walking skeleton with a pet kitty, so illusion magic is off the table unless that's preferred.
Katherine's Approval

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · RP ideas · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Systematic made by Phaede of the SZ..