Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Poll Only
Which Nightmare should win?
Tomb-lurker by Tenno 4 (10.8%)
Texixilihua by Carlos 4 (10.8%)
Fovopoids by WaterWitch 6 (16.2%)
Afanc by Scrublord 3 (8.1%)
American crusher by CeratosaurusKing 0 (0%)
Sickledrakes by GlarnBoudin 3 (8.1%)
Dropbear by Zorcuspine 4 (10.8%)
Bay Gambonca by Corecin 1 (2.7%)
Chameleon Crab by Hananas59 7 (18.9%)
Ashen Hellsquab by Talenkauen 5 (13.5%)
Total Votes: 37
COM #82: From Nothing to Nightmare
Topic Started: Jan 2 2018, 07:58 PM (6,671 Views)
Dragonthunders
Member Avatar
The ethereal archosaur in blue

Posted Image
COM #82: From Nothing to Nightmare

Create a species (or a group) of major predatory animals descended from a small species typically thought of as being harmless or insignificant.

• Entries must be submitted to this topic
  • Entries due by 2018/02/01
  • Entries must be original and made specifically for this contest (no entering creatures you've already made).
  • Illustration preferred but not required.

Alright, welcome to the first competence of 2018 everybody, and is time to monsters to rise.
This time is to create a species or groups of species that have taken the role of major predators on its environment, but being descendants of mostly harmless or insignificant animals. To be specific, any harmless animals would be any animal that does not generate any fatal or much harmful threat to a human or any animal not smaller than a meter

-Your entry should be future or alternate evolution.

- This animal must become a specialized carnivore. It can be partially omnivorous, but all its behavior and lifestyle must be predominantly of a predator.

-The ancestor of the predator must be smaller (less than 50 cm).

- In the case of choosing a harmless herbivore please elaborate about what drive the change to a carnivorous diet, unlike "carnivores to herbivores", an herbivore is more specialized so it is more difficult to change to a different diet.

-Your entry can be a species on a terraformed world, but its evolution cannot involve genetic modification and must be reasonably plausible.

Image: On the left, a rat, that in spite of being an animal that has caused calamities and has become plague across continents, in its natural habitat they are not more than one of several small prey for larger predators, and to its right, the Falanx, a wolf-sized descendant of this from the book After Man, in 50 millions of years in the future, has taken the niche of predator after the extinction of the carnivora.

Projects

"Active" projects

The Future is Far
Welcome to the next chapters of the evolution of life on earth, travel the across the earth on a journey that goes beyond the limits, a billion years of future history in the making.

The SE giants project
Wonder what is the big of the big on speculative evolution? no problem, here is the answer

Coming one day
Age of Mankind
Humanity fate and its possible finals.

The Long Cosmic Journey
The history outside our world.

The alternative paths
The multiverse, the final frontier...

Holocene park: Welcome to the biggest adventure of the last 215 million years, where the age of mammals comes to life again!
Cambrian mars: An interesting experiment on an unprecedented scale, the life of a particular and important period in the history of our planet, the cambric life, has been transported to a terraformed and habitable mars in an alternative past.
Two different paths, two different worlds, but same life and same weirdness.

My deviantart

Offline Profile Goto Top

IIGSY
Member Avatar
A huntsman spider that wastes time on the internet because it has nothing better to do
Hoverfly larvae are predators of similar sized insects. I assume they count
Projects
Punga: A terraformed world with no vertebrates
Last one crawling: The last arthropod

ARTH-6810: A world without vertebrates (It's ded, but you can still read I guess)

Potential ideas-
Swamp world: A world covered in lakes, with the largest being caspian sized.
Nematozoic: After a mass extinction of ultimate proportions, a single species of nematode is the only surviving animal.
Tri-devonian: A devonian like ecosystem with holocene species on three different continents.

Quotes

Phylogeny of the arthropods and some related groups

In honor of the greatest clade of all time

More pictures

Other cool things

All African countries can fit into Brazil
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tenno
Newborn
How far in the future can this be? I'm tempted to unleash my arrow-worm-sharks (Chaetosharks? Sharkognaths?)
Posted Image Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dragonthunders
Member Avatar

Quote:

Hoverfly larvae are predators of similar sized insects. I assume they count

If its descendant can kill or harm enough human sized creatures, It could be okay.

Quote:

How far in the future can this be?

There is not limit so, any time.
Projects

"Active" projects

The Future is Far
Welcome to the next chapters of the evolution of life on earth, travel the across the earth on a journey that goes beyond the limits, a billion years of future history in the making.

The SE giants project
Wonder what is the big of the big on speculative evolution? no problem, here is the answer

Coming one day
Age of Mankind

The Long Cosmic Journey

The alternative paths

Holocene park: Welcome to the biggest adventure of the last 215 million years, where the age of mammals comes to life again!
Cambrian mars: An interesting experiment on an unprecedented scale, the life of a particular and important period in the history of our planet, the cambric life, has been transported to a terraformed and habitable mars in an alternative past.

My deviantart

Offline Profile Goto Top

LλmbdaExplosion
Member Avatar
Vieja Argentea the oscar cichlid
Hahaha,aren't rat pests already dangerous to us already?You know what i mean.
When life give you lemons.............Don't make lemonade!Make life to take the lemons back!Get mad and than.........Yell,demand and burn down their homes.

Prepare for unforeseen consequences,Mr. Freeman!
Online Profile Goto Top

Corecin
Member Avatar
Won the Thottery! Send help!
Jewel Cichlid the elite soldier
Jan 3 2018, 03:40 PM
Hahaha,aren't rat pests already dangerous to us already?You know what i mean.

Dragonthunders
Jan 2 2018, 07:58 PM
a rat, that in spite of being an animal that has caused calamities and has become plague across continents, in its natural habitat they are not more than one of several small prey for larger predators
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dakka!
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Dragonthunders
Jan 3 2018, 11:24 AM

There is not limit so, any time.
Really? I see. Very interesting.

Do we still have to conform to the standard models that say Earth will become uninhabitable in 1 billion or so years? Or can we handwave and say that Earth’s orbit will move far enough so that it isn’t engulfed or fried by the expanding Sun?
"I was a Psychiatrist in Florida! For 3 weeks! Have you ever been to Florida?"

Some project ideas
The Future is Right
Ediacaran Explosion
Great Old Ones
Skinkworld

Unrelated:The Final Spec:What Could Have Been, And Still Can
Offline Profile Goto Top

LittleLazyLass
Member Avatar
Mod-Chan

I mean, I suppose you could handwave that, but I don't see the voters liking it very much.
totally not British, b-baka!
Posted Image You like me (Unlike)
I don't even really like this song that much but the title is pretty relatable sometimes, I guess.
Me
Important Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tenno
Newborn
Tomb-lurker (Xenohades sp.)

Size: 1.5-2m from head to tail
Ancestor: Chitons (Polyplacophora)
Diet: Large herbivores, other chiton descendants

Posted Image

The humble chiton, an oft-ignored denizen of tide pools, scraping scum off rocks, now the monarch of the seas. Already, current-day chitons envelop their shells in their mantle, like the gumboot (Cryptochiton stelleri) chiton, and display carnivory, as seen in the veiled chitons (Placiphorella sp.). The tomb-lurker takes this to the extreme, filling the niche left behind by predatory teleost fishes and sharks, as well as becoming a "neo-tetrapod" of sorts, with its internal skeleton.

Save for a fused head capsule and thorax which function as both armor and rigid muscle attachment points, the "shell" of Xenohades is now internal, acting as a spinal column and ribcage. Muscular projections from the mantle form fins and a tail, powering the tomb-lurker through the open water with dorsal-ventral flexions. The ancestral aragonite eyes are now a 4-part compound eye with almost glassy lenses. A pore on each side sucks oxygenated water in and expels it once it has passed over the efficient gills.

Lesser creatures scatter before it, fearing the twin needle-like projections jutting out from the tomb-lurker's head. Modified from "love-darts" seen in some current-day gastropods, each of these darts can be launched a great distance at prey, leaving a chemical trail that the tomb-lurker can track. A new one lies in wait in a specialized pouch and secreting organ. Each subspecies of tomb-lurker has a slightly differently shaped dart, and they can be used to tell them apart.

The individual teeth of the radula have been modified into specialized roles. Some magnetite-infused teeth, already present in chitons now, have become specialized organs dedicated to sensing magnetic fields, giving the tomb-lurker an excellent sense of direction. Research craft on expeditions have been harassed by Xenohades individuals mistaking their electromagnetic fields for some disturbance. Other teeth have grown huge and fused together in a sort of neo-Aristotle's-Lantern, which one xenobiologist described as a "living meat grinder plus combine harvester".

Is Xenohades dangerous to humans? Assuming you were caught outside of your pressurized inter-dimensional travel vehicle without any personal protective equipment and the lack of oxygen and pressure difference didn't kill you, and the tomb-lurker decided that the 4-limbed pink flailing object meant "FOOD", then, yes, you'd be lanced through with calcium blades and devoured.
Edited by Tenno, Jan 13 2018, 12:02 AM.
Posted Image Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Carlos
Member Avatar
Adveho in me Lucifero
Texixilihua (Huitzilocatl terriblis)

12 million years from now, the world's apex predator is a rather unusual one. A bird, the texixilihua is an almost exclusively aerial animal, spending most of its life on the wing aside nesting. It is the world's largest flying bird, bearing a wingspan of twenty meters. In the rather moments it is grounded, it launches by rotating its wings furiously, creating a vortex that allows for rapid launching. This is derived from its unique wing structure: only the finger supports the wing feathers, the rest of the arm concealed next to the body.

Its ancestors used this unique wing morphology to hover. They were nectar-drinkers, occuring across what were then the Americas. Some time after mankind's extinction, one of these diminute flutterers discovered a new food source: blood. It wasn't as nutrious as nectar, but it was more abundant and reliable. Over time, secreations in its mouth allowed to dissolve meat, and so these animals converted to full carnivory.

From then on, an increase in size followed, alongside a shift from fluttering to gliding (not an extreme shift, as another related lineage, the swifts were already apt soarers, just without the rotation capacities of the hummingbird wing), and eventually a cosmopolitan distribution. As soarers, their heart beat didn't need to be as high, and in fact it is often quite slow as the bird mostly glides and soars, though it can still go through moments of activity unparalleled by any other vertebrate in occasions such as launching or hovering.

Eventually, one species became a large sized, prolific carnivore. And much as the evolution of the orca altered the dynamics of the sea, so did on land all the large carnivores perished before this new one, aside from the dense forest biomes where it cannot reach.

Like its distant ancestors, the texixilihua has bright reflective plummage. It offers it a metallic blue colouration, with dashes of purple on its head and back. On low light conditions, this brightness is traded by a still striking but natural orange and red. The eyes are adorned by white patches of naked skin, and a wattle descends from them like a teardrop. The overal wing and tail shape haven't changed too much, being still useful in an agile aerial predator, though the former have a more curved shape in other to be more effective at soaring.

The texixilihua occurs all over the world, there being no geographic barriers to it, flying wherever it pleases whenever it pleases. It usually occurs alone or in pairs, though unlike its territorial ancestors it has no compulsion to defend territories or even fight with others of its species, aside when selecting nesting spots. Spending most of its life in the air, it is cathemeral, sleeping at high altitudes for a few minutes before descending down to hunt, all throught the day and night.

Large as it is, there is no need for ambush. The bird swoops down at high speeds, far outspeeding most ot its prey, the only escape being last moment turning, though even this may not suffice as the texixilihua is quite agile for its size and can turn at tight angles with ease. The prey is speared on its 5 meter long beak while the bird is still flying, and as it ascends the prey's corpse descends, a combination of dissolving acids and beak serrations emptying it of its soft tissues. The corpse usually meets a halt near the beak's base, so the bird often flies as high as it can and it dislodges the carcasse, letting it fall and stabbing it again midair. The process repeats until only a husk remains, and the emptied corpse is left to fall on the ground, while the texixilihua looks for new prey.

The bird's preffered targets are animals from 1 to 100 kilos. Larger prey cannot be lifted, but the bird gets around this by simply stabbing them, injecting them with its saliva. The initial stab alone is violent enough to shock the victim, and so all the bird has to do is hover and slurp up the quickly dissolving victim. As hovering is extremely demanding, however, it usually only attempts to do this on large animals such as elephants.

Unlike its polygamous ancestors, the texixilihua is permanently monogamous, forming lasting pairs that breed across the year. They usually build their nests on mountains or tall trees, though they can also do so on open ground. The incubation of their single egg lasts for two months, during which the parents take turns incubating and hunting. The continues when the chick hatches and afterwards for a period of fifteen months, until it can fly. But unlike raptors, in which the parents simply abandon the chick to prompt it to fly, the texixilihua stick around, luring it into the air by hovering with prey on their beaks. Once the young learns how to fly, it still stick with its parents for over two years, learning how to hunt, before it gradually leaves them.
Lemuria:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/5724950/

Terra Alternativa:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/forum/460637/

My Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Yiqi15
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Giant killer hummingbirds. I love it.

Question: Are we allowed to do islands other otherwise isolated ecosystems like mountains or plateaus?
Current/Completed Projects
- After the Holocene: Your run-of-the-mill future evolution project.
- A History of the Odessa Rhinoceros: What happens when you ship 28 southern white rhinoceri to Texas and try and farm them? Quite a lot, actually.

Future Projects
- XenoSphere: The greatest zoo in the galaxy.
- The Curious Case of the Woolly Giraffe: A case study of an eocene relic.
- Untittled Asylum Studios-Based Project: The truth behind all the CGI schlock
- Riggslandia V.II: A World 150 million years in the making

Potential Projects
- Klowns: The biology and culture of a creepy-yet-fascinating being

My Zoochat and Fadom Accounts
- Zoochat
- Fandom
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ebervalius
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Leptictidium was about 60cm. May I just use some generic, unnamed leptictid below 50cm?
The Sirens of the Land of Fire
Codex Ebervaliorum

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dragonthunders
Member Avatar

Quote:

Are we allowed to do islands other otherwise isolated ecosystems like mountains or plateaus?

Yes

Quote:

Leptictidium was about 60cm. May I just use some generic, unnamed leptictid below 50cm?

I would say you can use it with its original length, since half the body corresponds to the tail.
And to emphasize, the no more than 50 cm only corresponds only to the body length.
Projects

"Active" projects

The Future is Far

The SE giants project

Coming one day
Age of Mankind

The Long Cosmic Journey

The alternative paths

My deviantart

Offline Profile Goto Top

WaterWitch
Member Avatar
Might manage to hold down a project some day
Fovopoids

On a distant star lies a planet, seeded with Aquilops americanus, Orodromeus makelai, and Scutellosaurus lawleri as the only animals on land. With no land predators, the niche was open to any of the three species. While both Orodromeus and Scutellosaurus would give rise to predatory forms, the most successful lineage belonged to the descendents of Aquilops: The Fovopoids.

The Fovopoids saw humble beginnings from the small Aquilops as they diverged soon after the seeding event. Their sister lineage would develop into forms that resemble Earth's Ceratopsians. From small herbivores to slightly larger omnivores, they would see immediate competition with another lineage when they begin to adapt towards predatory from a carnivorous leaning lineage of scutellosaurs, but early Fovopoids would manage to outcompete them with strong jaws and sharp beaks. Fovopoids would quickly begin to see a rapid size increase over the next few million years, reaching sizes of Theropods on Earth.

The Fovopoids would soon develop into the top predator in their ecosystems in many places all over their world, and shape multiple ecosystems in the process. One of the most prolific of this clade would be Fovops sarcophagus, the first of the clade to be discovered. At first it seemed to be an oversized basal Ceratopsian, but what was found was a 9 meter predator. While not the largest to be discovered (that title would belong to Tyrannops rex), it became the most well known through the discovery of many specimens.

Posted Image
Reconstruction of a male Fovops sarcophagus (Flesh Eating Fear Face). Human for scale.

Fovops sarcophagus was found in a forested floodplain environment, and shared its habitat with large, unarmored herbivores similar to hadrosaurs that were likely one of their prey items. With the use of it's sharp beak and strong neck and jaws, it may have taken chunks out of their prey until it bled out. Long legs likely helped them chase down quicker targets. It may have also used it's jaws to pierce through in between armored prey items as well. Some bones of juvenile animals have been found inside the body cavities of multiple F. sarcophagus suggesting that they would mainly go after younger individuals.

An interesting feature of F. sarcophagus is a small horn at the top of the nose. A relic of their ancestry that may have been used for display. It is possible that only males expressed these horns, as there are fully grown individuals who do not have any nose horn to speak of.

Fovopoids would sadly go extinct around 34 million years before the discovery of their planet, along with many of the other large forms that they coexisted with. But their extinction would give rise to many new forms including new clades of carnivorous ornithischian to fill their place.
Current Projects
The Modern Mesozoic
Offline Profile Goto Top

CaledonianWarrior96
Member Avatar
An Awesome Reptile
If we submit an original creature here can we use that creature, or a modified version of it again for own projects or can it only be on this COM
Come check out and subscribe to my projects on the following subforums;

Future Planet (V.2): the Future Evolution of Life on Earth (Evolutionary Continuum)
The Meuse Legacy: An Alternative Outcome of the Mosasaur (Alternative Evolution)
Terra Cascus: The Last Refuge of the Dinosaurs (Alternative Evolution)
- Official Project
- Foundation
The Beryoni Galaxy: The Biologically Rich and Politically Complex State of our Galaxy (Habitational Zone)

- Beryoni Critique Thread (formerly: Aliens of Beryoni)
The Ecology of Skull Island: An Open Project for the Home of King Kong (Alternative Universe)
The Ecology of Wakanda: An Open Project for the Home of Marvel's Black Panther (Alternative Universe)

(Click bold titles to go to page. To subscribe click on a project, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "track topic" on the bottom right corner)
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Official Competitions · Next Topic »
Poll Only