Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kardashev - OOC
Topic Started: Dec 16 2017, 09:57 AM (2,674 Views)
Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Kardashev

I decided to create an OOC thread early, as there's been some discussion about it, and I thought it makes sense to show some things related to species creation, even if it's still heavily WIP.

1) How Kardashev is played
In Kardashev you assume control over an alien civilization. Your species has just developed its first FTL method. Most species' homeworlds are still divided into various independent nations and although you are FTL capable, it will likely take some time until you meet other aliens. The game is played by posting your actions in turns, with the gamemaster (me) posting the results of said actions in between.

2) About the setting

a) FTL
There is only one 'playable' FTL method in this game. FTL travel is achieved through a type of wormhole technology. Two distant locations will be linked via a space-time tunnel, allowing for instantaneous communications and transportation across the galaxy. There is a catch (two really). In order to create such a tunnel, you first need to "drill" a hole through space-time, for the lack of a better metaphor. (You can decide how your empire calls this process yourself.) This means you first have to create a portal which acts as one half of the tunnel. The exit point will then be drilled by pointing it at another location in the galaxy. Wormhole-drilling has a limited range, though this can be increased with technologies. The newly created wormhole on the other end is extremely unstable as there is no construction supporting it and is only held open through a constant energy supply several magnitudes greater than that of a stable wormhole. In order to stabilize the wormhole, another portal needs to be built on the other side, meaning you'll have to send construction materials and, possibly automated, construction units to the other side to build a "receiving" portal. You can also first send a scout through to survey the new system, before you decide to colonize it. Wormholes come in all sizes, from microscopic (only useful for transmitting information) to massive enough to let entire ships through (or if you wanted even bigger). Note that larger wormholes require higher energy maintenance.

In summary the steps of FTL tunneling are as follows:
  • Build an entry portal
  • Choose a star within range (You can only choose the type of star, but not the location, as I want to prevent people using OOC information to rush towards other players' positions. Exceptions are when the location can be justified by IC information, for instance choosing a star between two of your own, as a bridge. Or tunneling towards a signal you have detected.)
  • Create unstable exit wormhole
  • Send construction units or scouts through the portal, or simply scan the system remotely through a tiny wormhole
  • Build exit portal
  • Connect both portals, you're done

Of course you can also use a one-sided tunnel (one portal and one unstable wormhole) to "catapult" a fleet of yours into enemy territory, but bear in mind that this is not only expensive, but also risky. Alternatively, you use stealth technology to build a hidden portal in enemy territory and use that as a staging ground for an invasion. Technologies will modify FTL tunneling, so you can tailor your warfare to your preferences.

Warp is theoretically a second FTL method, which is however largely inconsequential for gameplay. While warp is technically FTL, it is not by much though, so moving between neighboring stars would still take generations and as such is vastly outclassed by FTL tunneling in practise.

b) Detecting other players
Drilling a new wormhole creates ripples in space-time which are detectable by other civilizations across the galaxy. Technologies can mask these ripples or allow more finetuned detection methods. So when another player drills a new wormhole, they might be able to be detected by nearby civilizations. Note that larger wormholes create stronger ripples and are thus harder to mask and easier to detect.

c) Soft vs Hard Sci-Fi
I'm leaning towards hard sci-fi, though there will be plenty of handwaves, as you can already see with the FTL in this setting. Don't expect any blatant fantasy elements like the force or energy beings, but also don't expect me to be able to scientifically explain every detail.

d) Life
Life is common in Kardashev and very varied. I want to allow all speculative biochemistries unless they really are too outlandish. (Gaseous lifeforms are a no.) Make sure that all your species are still biological, so no crystalline silicoids and the like. Afterall carbon-based life doesn't look like clumps of coal.

I'm still tweaking the numbers as to which biochemistries are most common, but I can say this much: Carbon-based life makes up the majority.

e) Psychic Powers
There are no psychic powers in this game. I tried to make it work, but I couldn't come up with anything I was happy with.

f) Gestalt Consciousness
Actually I lied, there is one psychic power in this game, but it's reserved for organic gestalt consciousness and exists only to make them possible. It has minimal influence on gameplay. Basically, organic gestalts are made up of animalistic individuals which can link their minds through some handwavey FTL transmitting brain waves, so they can communicate over vast distances in real time.

Additionally, the gestalts in this game aren't emergent properties like that of an ant-hill. The reason for that is because such consciousness would be too slow to react and likely have no real self-awareness, but by creating an actually thinking entity by literally linking multiple organisms together, just like neurons in a brain, it creates a self-aware entity that can interact with the other species.

g) Timeframe
A turn spans an entire (earth) year.

Creating a civilization
If you wish to join the game, you have to create an alien civilization. Note that playing as humans is not possible as they will enter the game as NPCs later on.

Furthermore your species must be able to create FTL capable spacecraft. This would normally limit organic or jovian species, though some traits can mitigate this. (Check the list of traits for more information.)

The steps for creating a civilization are as follows:

Archetypes, Modifiers, Traits, Combos and Resources

Archetype
First you choose an archetype. This means you decide whether your species is composed of individuals or makes up a gestalt and whether your species is organic or synthetic. Each combination gives you a different amount of starting traits.

Modifiers
Modifiers can, well, modify your number of starting traits in return for advantages or disadvantages. Note that you can't go below 0 trait points. There is also a number of special traits that do neither but instead augment your gameplay.

Modifiers which don't apply to your archetype can still be chosen for flavour. (Except for the special modifiers of course.)

Traits
After you have your final amount of starting traits, you can actually choose your traits. Each trait category comes in multiple tiers. A trait costs as much as its tier. So a tier III trait costs 3 trait points.

All traits inside a trait category are mutually exclusive, as the higher traits contain the lower ones, so you don't have to choose Aerostat Colonies and Jovian Satellites, Jovian Satellites comes together with Aerostat Colonies.

Additionally, some traits "combo" with others. This basically means that if you take both traits, you get an additional "technology" or whatever. As an example, genetic engineering normally only allows the writing of a genome, but the new DNA needs to be grown into a new organism, but combo it with nanotechnology, and you can build small robots that can change the genome of each cell inside a living organism, allowing for genetic modification on the living being. This is a "new" technology, as it is not covered by either genetic engineering or nanotechnology each by itself.

Note that the higher both traits' tiers are the better your combo becomes.

Resources
Kardashev features a simple resource system. This means your species focuses on a set of resources, which it uses for various things. Since some resources are found on different celestial bodies and species may use different sets of resources, this makes it possible for species to coexist or even trade, but also allow for rivalries, when two empires want the same thing.

Resources are divided into two categories: There is fuel for sub-FTL drives and construction materials for ships and space stations. (Construction materials will in reality be an assortment of composite materials, but the resource you choose here creates the base.)

You are not locked into your starting resources and technological progress may make different resources (possibly even new ones) available for you, but your people have knowledge about the starting resource that they don't about the new one and catching up to that level will take time.

Resources are found on certain celestial bodies. Deposits come in three different qualities: Poor, Rich and Abundant. These qualities take into account both the quanity of the resource and how easy it is to extract it. For example, a water planet is literally flooded in hydrogen, but being bound to oxygen, it is harder to extract, so a water planet might get a rich deposit, while a gas giant which is like 80% H2, gets an abundant one. In the same vein, even though technically all elements should be found on nearly all celestial bodies, in most cases the deposits are too poor to even bother. Earth for instance has helium in its atmosphere, but not enough to make mining helium even remotely profitable. As such Earth wouldn't have a helium deposit in Kardashev.

Not all planets will have resource deposits, though some planet types are semi-guaranteed to have certain resources (like water planets will always have hydrogen deposits) and your home system will have guaranteed deposits of whatever resources you choose.

Template

Any information you do not provide, especially regarding their biology and homeworld, will be filled in by me. This is not necessarily a warning. If you don't care about the gravity on your homeworld, that's fine. Just make sure to provide the bare essentials.

Note that you are creating a civilization or nation, so unless you have chosen Consolidated Planets as a starting trait, your home system will have a number of independent civilizations. This goes even for gestalts. (Though to a lesser degree.) Some traits will count for the entire species, while others might be special for your civilization.

Note that some things might still be subject to change, but I will try to announce any changes I make to the post in here. Of course, if you have any suggestions, you are more than welcome to lay them on me.

Due to the fact that the thing isn't finalized yet, it doesn't make much sense to sign up yet with actual civilization templates, but if you want me to look over an early draft of yours, you can post that here. (Maybe in a spoiler so it doesn't clutter the topic.)

One important note about player number:

The past has shown that starting with too many people can kill an RP, so I'll likely restrict myself to a number of players. As I find a first-come-first-serve system a bit unfair in an environment that spans multiple time-zones, I decided to use a lottery system to determine who starts in the game and who joins later.

Don't worry though, I plan to add players into the game early though, so you don't have to wait too long.

Of course, after the game has started, the waiting list will be in chronological order of signing up.

Players:
  • Fazaner
  • Nano
  • Corecin
  • Nitwhite
  • Sphenodon

Waiting list (in order):
  • Bob
  • DroidSyber
  • Planetace
  • Tet
  • Citrakayah

Edited by Flisch, Mar 19 2018, 03:09 PM.
We have a discord. If you want to join, simply message me, Icthyander or Sphenodon.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
There's a few things I wanted to mention about modifiers and traits but forgot.

First is actually a relevant game mechanic. You might have seen in the wip document that some traits "combo" with others. This basically means that if you take both traits, you get an additional "technology" or whatever. As an example, genetic engineering normally only allows the writing of a genome, but the new DNA needs to be grown into a new organism, but combo it with nanotechnology, and you can build small robots that can change the genome of each cell inside a living organism, allowing for genetic modification on the living being. This is a "new" technology, as it is not covered by either genetic engineering or nanotechnology each by itself.

Note that the higher both traits' tiers are the better your combo becomes. (Gosh this sounds like I'm talking about an arcade game.)

The two other things are more advice-related.

First, go easy on bad modifiers. (disadvantages that give you additional trait points) They're not designed to be played gotta-catch-em-all with. If you pick a lot of bad modifiers, you'll basically become an underdog, specialized in a certain area, but power-wise at a disadvantage when you meet other players. I'm not going to punish people for taking a lot of bad modifiers, but the meta-game (aka other players) might. Honestly the modifiers were more as an additional option to tailor your civ, so you can pick more traits that you might normally be able to. But people on discord are beginning to min-max and I just wanted to warn you of possible consequences down the line. You're not competing with me in this game primarily, but with the other players.

And another thing, I tried to make the modifiers as vague sounding as possible (often even suggesting alternative and opposing variants in the description texts) so you can interpret them liberally. Bleak world is basically a naturally below-average hospitable world. It doesn't have to be a desert or an ice age world. It could also be a planet that is still recovering from a recent mass extinction. If something doesn't fit your vision perfectly, pick the closest and/or ask if it can work with that.
We have a discord. If you want to join, simply message me, Icthyander or Sphenodon.

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Small update on the file:

I allowed for comments, so if you have any suggestions (or questions) you can do it directly in the file linked in the main post. This should be especially nifty for people who aren't on the discord.

Another thing I wanted to talk about: When do you guys want this to start? There are two possibilities:

We either get a very short sign-up phase of about a week over christmas and the game start around the 27th or 28th as I am gone from the 19th to 3rd and thus not available.

The other possibility is having a longer sign-up time (two weeks or something) and the game starts in january.

I don't know how busy people are going to be over christmas and whether they prefer a short sign-up phase or a long one. Let your voices be heard!

Fazaner
Member Avatar
Шашава птичурина
I think longer sign up is beater, people who celebrate Christmas might be busy in that time, so that way they might get more time. And it might be cool, like new year, new roleplay.
Projects (they are not dead, just updated realy slowly, feel free to comment):
-World after plague After a horrible plague unleashed by man nature slowly recovers. Now 36 million years later we take a look at this weird and wonderful world.
-Galaxy on fire. They have left their home to get out of war. They had no idea what awaits them.

My Deviant art profile, if you're curious.
Before you get offended or butthurt read this

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Attention personnel!

The document has been updated to a point where I consider it final, or would, if I didn't want you to read over it in case you feel something is missing or unclear. :)

Otherwise I will post the sign-up sheet with template tomorrow and then registrations can begin proper.

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Happy christmas eve everyone.

Here's the signup sheet. You can add as much information as you want, but the minimum information I want to see is underlined. Note that everything that isn't specified will be decided by me. (Again, not a warning necessarily. If you're fine with me filling in the blanks, it's I'm fine with it too.)

Species: <name of species>
Nation: <name of nation>
Homeworld: <name of homeworld>
Home Star: <name of home star>

Archetype: <archetype>
Modifiers:
  • Example entries:
  • Big Planet -1
  • Mineral Poor (For modifiers you choose purely for flavour but don't affect your archetype)
  • Alien Artifacts

Traits:
  • Example entry:
  • Ablative Plating I (Singular Layer)
  • Also list combos, if you wish to specify what you want to go for:
  • Combo: Artificial Intelligence I & Cybernetics II (Limited memory extraction)
  • Don't worry about the combos though, I will automatically apply them anyway. Mentioning them here is mainly important if you have a specific vision in mind.

Resources:
  • Fuel: <resource>
  • Construction Material: <resource>

Biology: Describe your species' biology a little bit, such as biochemistry, physical characteristics like size, and of course its psychology. Make sure to decouple psychology from culture and try not to make too many "universal" behaviours. Just remember that animals, especially itnelligent ones are inherently unpredictable. Apart from reflexes, there is always a certain margin of possible reactions towards a certain stimulus. However, there are certainly tendencies you can mention. For instance, a species may be aggressive, relatively speaking, but that doesn't mean they always kill everything as soon as they get insulted etc.
Homeworld: Describe your homeworld a little bit, especially its temperature and humidity. Gravity, atmospheric density and actual biomes are bonus. Note that everything not directly related to your homeworld and location will be generated at game start, but you can describe moons and/or your homeworld's parent planet as they are part of your homeworld setup. Same goes for your location if you're starting as a space colony.
History: Optional. You can describe a bit how your species got where it is now. Note that you can't get into detail about the other nations as I will create them, but giving a bit of a background gives me something to work from. You can for example mention the broad political dynamics between big regions like continents, but not mention specific nations.

Location: As you don't necessarily have to start on your homeworld, please at least state where your nation is located. If the colony is in space, describe the planet shortly and how it has been colonized.
Government / Organization: For individual-based species, describe the government, most importantly how the ruling class is determined. For gestalts, describe the hierarchical organization, how exactly is the gestalt formed. Is it really just a central porcessing core that controls all units like extensions of its body, is the gestalt diffused among all sub-organisms equally or is there even an actual hierarchy like with the zerg.
Culture: Culture is a vague thing, but for me interesting points are: What does your people value? What do they seek in the long run? What are their ambitions? It's fine if you can't give definite answers. Just try to paint a broad picture of how their society functions. How important is family? How do they view outsiders? You know, all that stuff. As I said before, try your best to decouple culture from psychology.
Military Doctrine: Explain how your nation aproaches warfare. Do they bring big guns to the fight, hoping to win through sheer firepower? Do they prefer hit-and-run techniques? Do they try to steamroll their opposition blitzkrieg-style, and thus win before the fight even really started? Few heavily armoured ships or swarms of small fighters? Make sure to take advantage of the traits in this area. Some are specifically designed to enable certain fighting styles.

This is not part of the sheet, but here's some information on starting conditions:

Your default technology level is roughly modern earth (though set about 50 to 100 years into the future), excluding specifically mentioned technologies in traits. For example, I would classify modern robotics as Tier I, so they're not included in the default tech level. But radio, which is not mentioned in the traits is considered a technology that most, if not all, FTL-capable civilizations have developed. Weapons (without traits) are restricted to projectiles and missiles.

The number of independent nations in your home system may vary, but will likely be somewhere around 7 on your homeworld and half as many independent space colonies. There will also be a number of colonies belonging to the various homeworld nations, including yours if applicable. The number of colonies, of both variations, is increased with the Space Colonization trait.

And with that registrations are open! I am gone over new year, so I'll be back on the 3rd of January, going through all the entries, drafting the starting players and building the home systems. So we'll probably start a few days after that.

Speaking of starting players. I'm currently aiming for 5 players at the beginning with one player joining the game on each subsequent turn.
Edited by Flisch, Jan 4 2018, 08:44 PM.

Fazaner
Member Avatar
Шашава птичурина
Species:
  • Primary; Isaly
  • Co-sapient; Yonala

Nation: United Demadeh Confederacy; UDC
Homeworld: Demadeh
Home star: Ade'sh
Archetype: Organic Individuals +4
Modifiers:
  • Bleak World +1
  • Strict Carnivores +1
  • Alien Artifacts

Traits:
  • Syncretic Evolution - Tier III: Cosapients
  • International Unification - Tier II: Consolidated Nations
  • Sub-FTL Drives - Tier I: Cooled Combustors

Resources:
  • Fuel: Helium
  • Construction: Titanium

Biology: Life on Demadeh is carbon-based, and primary form of 'vertebrates' are hexopodal, one of features are twin-tails, and universal fur-like body covering.
Posted Image
Isaly are large quadrupedal hexopods, being 2 m tall on highest point the withers, they have pronounced second pair of legs and relatively short body, giving it somewhat hunchbacked appearance, with two short tails on the back. First pair of extremities is in form of strong grasping hands, placed close to first pair of legs, and than strong neck and head. Head is somewhat theropodal in shape, lined with sharp teeth, and with series of bumps on the top if head, eyes come in two pairs, two upfront and two on sides, giving them excellent sight, 'ears' are internal, but still acute, while smell is not very developed. Descendant from planets large predators, they still have some features from that time, they can sometimes be easy to anger and eager to fight, and are very hardy, as they have evolved on cold and unforgiving world. This also had another side-effect, as a species they are highly protective of those they consider their own kind(note that this extend to other species), as they had to maintain close knit communities to survive, and that might be what brought Yonala to them.

Yonala are another species of hexapods, but unlike lumbering Isaly are smaller, leaner flayers, being 1,4 m tall at max, and having wingspan of 3 m. They are bipedal, walking on hindmost pair of legs, wings in the middle and hands up front. Body-shape is upright, with long lags, two long stabilizing tails, and long neck, ending with little shorter head and jaw, its eyes are in pairs, with one pair placed on sides and two at front. They descend from nomadic opportunists, feeding on small animals and carcasses, and fallowing larger animals. This is what put them in contact with Isaly, at first for scavenging from their meals, and than for cleaning, and even further as a nimble craftsmen after reaching sapience. Their fates have become intertwined for good. As a species they have embraced protective attitude of their bigger companions, although some part of opportunism is still there, as old saying on Demadeh goes 'It steals like Yona'.

Homeworld: Demadeh is a cold and dry world, akin to Earth during ice ages, and cold 'steppe' dominate the landscape, and 'plantlife' reddish in color. There are 4 large continents, predominantly dry, but there are some patches of forests here and there. Gravity and the atmosphere is Earth-like.

History: Engraved on Isaly-Yona messaging probe:'' Hail fellow star-wanderers, you have found one of many messenger probes sent by us, Isaly-Yona. Don't be alarmed, we are not the ones who you should fear. You might not have encountered signs of other life until now, so hear our story. We were once like you, unaware of wider cosmos, until we found artifacts. Many tried to explain them, and many more died for them, but we now understand. We were once sitting on the other throats, blind to the truth, but we now see. We thought that only two people exist, but we were wrong. Artifacts showed us what once were, and what might repeat. Creators of them are no longer here, but their legacy remains. They were once guarding us, all of us, but now are gone. What they were guarding us against is gone too, but beasts might return. We do not know what or who were they, but we are going to continue Ancients mission, to guard life, protect civilization, wherever it is, whoever they are. Do not fear us, for we come to help you, whoever you are, wherever you are.''

Government / Organization: Planetary government, ruled by council from all nations. Council members are drawn from aristocrats, generals, and scholars. Both species can become members. Election is based on personal expertise, as only the best and brightest can get a sit in council, and any applicant must prove themselves in it's expertise, effectively weeding out incompetent rulers.
Culture: Being from two species some roles are divided. Isaly form bulk of workforce, being farmers, miners and other professions that demand strength, while Yonala for most of craftsman, scholars, pilots and other thought oriented professions. Both species view themselves as a equal member of society, and roles are divided based on individual strengths and attributes. Family is important part of society in both species, and insulting ones family can sometimes result in insulter ending two meters under ground, if you know what I mean. Developing in the shadow of ancient artifacts, and after finding out it's history, new purpose is discovered. Isaly and Yona have took on themselves mission of the Ancients, to find, help and protect other civilizations and races, and their space program is dedicated to that, wherever it took them.
Military Doctrine: Isaly-Yona military is a important part of their nation, do to their mission to find and protect. There are two main doctrines:

• Ground combat: Fighting on planets and other large objects, they prefer to use brute force, as sneaky tactics are considered cowardly. Isaly make up most of members of this doctrine, brave and strong, they are able to put up hell of a fight, but they have nasty tendency for getting into melee, charging into firing lines, trusting into heavy armor and shear resilience to get the job done, and so far it was devastatingly effective. Yona makes up smaller in number, but not less important role of pilots, engineers, medical personnel, logistic and other utility personnel. When fighting they are mostly seen as a hexo-mech and aircraft pilots, with machines themselves being made in line with general tactics, being large, heavily armed and armored, but also slow. As you can see, their slow and armored equipment makes them really good as a defenders, and every Isaly or Yona would rather die than to run away.

• Void doctrine: Combat in void and on ships and stations. Yona makes up most of crews here, as they are smaller than lumbering Isaly, who serve as a boarders and security personnel. Their ships are floating fortresses, made to endure insane punishment, and give it back with vengeance. As a side-effect their ships are slow, but as a condensation, every ship is accompanied with swarms of Yona piloted fighters, granted these fighters also fallow their traditional doctrine being armored and pucking a punch, but relatively slow and clumsy, although they are nimbler than their cruisers. Planetary bombings are made only against military targets, bombing civilians is considers shameful if accidental, and crime if intentional, being punishable by death if civilian casualties are too severe.

It must be noted that war with other civilization is to be avoided, as Isaly-Yona are fanatical in protection of life, and will first try to commit diplomacy, to avoid conflict, and possibly allow race in question to join as a guardian of life, although even if they refuse, Isaly-Yona will come to an aid if needed, even if relation are not best.

Ok this is huge, is all right here? Tell me if I am wrong in something.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DSC_vabz.jpg (54.05 KB)
Edited by Fazaner, Jan 13 2018, 08:27 AM.
-World after plague After a horrible plague unleashed by man nature slowly recovers. Now 36 million years later we take a look at this weird and wonderful world.
-Galaxy on fire. They have left their home to get out of war. They had no idea what awaits them.

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
I'm going back to basics.
Pfft, you think that's huge? Try this out-

Species: Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk (pronounced 'high-pitched snap, deep gear-grinding, pop', derived from words roughly meaning 'we who are uplifted')
Nation: Celestial Social Technocrat Heirarchy
Homeworld: Ven'kuph (pronounced with a slightly overlapping 'buzzsaw noise, sweeping noise', literal rough translation is 'The Most Awful Place')
Home Star: Zyk'zrrka (pronounced with a slightly overlapping 'flicking a comb, repeated slowly with a crack at the end', literal rough translation is 'great light'.)

Archetype: Organic Individuals
Modifiers:
  • Bleak World +1
  • Tidally Locked Planet +1
  • Weak Magnetic Field

Traits:
  • Interplanetary Unification III (Consolidated Planets)
  • Cybernetics II (Advanced Implants)
  • Robotics I (Simple Robotics)
  • Combo: Cybernetics II & Robotics I (Widespread Cyberdomesticates)

Resources:
  • Fuel: Lithium (+agility, somewhat common, poor rocky deposits)
  • Construction: Iron (-speed, common and rich, mainly asteroids, otherwise rocky)

Biology: Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk are a physically imposing deathworld species with an iron oxide biochemistry and that utilise sulphuric acid as a solvent. While iron oxide biochemistry is resilient enough to withstand a massive range of temperatures should the environment call for it, their proteins denature above 280'C, and below 170'C there's simply nowhere to evolve such resistance. The Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk in particular have an internal body temperature of around 250'C, limited by their water content. The concentration of water in their tissues can cope with a water content of around 11-12%- their osmoregulation becomes stressed beyond the 230-250'C range, and below 220'C or above 270'C, their osmoregulation fails. Bizarrely, this means Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk literally die of dehydration when too hot, even though they lack a water-based biochemistry.

They exist as symbiotes to a larger tree organism, alongside other such species, and so are naturally arboreal. They also possess limited flight- fast at up to 60mph due to their size, but only for about 20 minutes if unburdened (half that if precision-flying or hovering) before an average individual needs to rest. They have an oval- or disk-shaped main body, around two metres long and bilaterally symmetrical. They possess eight limbs with six digits each, as well as a single wing finger and a pair of scissor-like blades protected by a fleshy padded heel. These two blades rest under silk glands and are coated in silk-dissolving enzymes, allowing them to improvise it as tape or scale sheer surfaces by sticking onto them. Their wing fingers connect in pairs to form four wings, also letting them move their legs in pairs for freedom of movement. Their lung spiracles open just above each limb.

Their jaws are double-layered, five-pointed, very large and on the underside of the body, skewed towards the front. Within it there are four limb-mouthparts- a longer front pair and a more delicate rear pair- with a gizzard and a long, toothy tongue each. These gizzards are large to let them store items and food without sacrificng aerodynamics. The tongues, meanwhile, developed to allow the arms to specialise for manipulation. Each arm is four-jointed, with the two innermost elbows possessing complex combs for vocal communication. Their digestive system lacks a through-gut.

The upper body surface possesses four appendages. The front is a single large eye stalk; the middle pair are long tactile halteres or antennae, and the rear is a muscular tail. Each is supported by compressed liquid bags rather than bone like the rest of the skeleton, which is a flexible jointed disk to which ribs, limbs and so on are attached. They possess a major brain at the front, and three smaller brains below each upper appendage. As well as conventional senses (middling eyesight and a strong sense of smell primarily), they have strong equilibroreception. Their sense of balance and motion extends to individual parts of the body, helping them respond to breaking branches and other such dangers.

Juveniles have four-way radial symmetry, save for the jaws and certain internal organs. They are flightless, taking 3 years to develop a wing membrane, another 6 for flight and another 5 to become mini-adults of sexual maturity. The direction of their bilateral symmetry depends on which brain is least damaged- it will become the front, dominant one. They habitually explore branches too thin for adults, often falling, being attacked by volant predators or getting mauled by jealous pollenators, which is why they generally do take brain damage before they become adults. Controlled minor brain damage is a common operation to ensure proper development, usually by injecting vaccine shots into the planned rear brain. Their offspring are more independent than those of humans, often catching and killing small animals to eat while adventuring.

They reproduce by mating with others of a different sex (out of 378 sexes, generated from 21 A-chromosomes and 18 B-chromosomes). This reduces inbreeding without otherwise limiting mate choice. Mating conventionally involves mutual stimulation of the mouth, to provoke the fusing of their two nuclei in their reproductive organs and the laying of a single egg afterwards. These eggs grow into a nest and dog-like morph, which then mate to exchange chromosomes and give live birth to a single juvenile- in times of war, growth or crisis, a brood's numbers can grow triangularly from keeping a growing number of these haploid morphs should they possess the resources, though in peaceful times of stable numbers they tend to have two or three offspring before they use their sopoforic saliva to let the nest be eaten whole.

Psychologically, they are very different from humans. Being taken advantage of- being lied to, being treated unequally, recieving unfair deals and so on- provokes immediate disgust, righteous anger and outgrouping of the culprit, often taking the form of lynch mobs in the past, though modern society tends to prefer sterilisation and either cybernetic mental alteration or asylums for their liars and other percieved traitors. As any liars must first break off from the group, they are easily able to crush these splinters as a united force, preserving their ability to cooperate without fear of being taken advantage of. They naturally form fluid heirarchies rather than static, human-like groups.

This in turn affects the rest of their psychology. Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk refuse to hold onto power if the majority disapproves of them, as doing otherwise wpuld provoke them. They are more rational and less gullible than humans, as they lack a need to accept lies, propeganda and so on in order to avoid losing their in-group. And as long as an opposing point of view doesn't seem utterly insane, debates will not escalate beyond ritual violence to determine the stronger party. This may seem advantageous- and indeed, Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk societies have a very high average quality of life compared to most species when observed at a similar technological level. However, these same advantages make Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk capable of doing much more before they fully understand the consequences than a comparable society, and are liable to be thinking of those that run on different logic as violently insane, making it a double-edged sword.

Emotionally, Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk aren't enormously dissimilar to humans. There are, however, notable exceptions. Loneliness is experienced as a fearful emotion that provokes giddiness and lack of hunger, as a tree without its symbionts will not produce food; homesickness is similar but provokes gluttony. Together it provokes them to leave the tree, rest and recuperate once friends are found, then return with a new symbiont group. Maternal emotions are only felt for the nest and dog morphs- juveniles are seen more as a teacher sees students, and kinship is unrelated, though the feeling is strongest for same-sex juveniles. Friendship is similar- it could be defined as being friends with everyone by default, or as being more similar to institutes and sports clubs than conventional friendship. And their experience of envy, inadequacy and rebelliousness are one and the same, leading to either a surge of motivation in beating the subject at their own skill, being discouraged from that goal or complacency at their current level of skill.

Their trees (gyyrvvk, after their creaking) are tall, thick, smooth and redwood-like, with bulbous branches sticking out below the leafier photosynthetic canopy. These bulbous branches support Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk habitations, producing rich food and necessary comforting pheromones (though not enough food to subsist on). Branches are pheromone-coded to ensure only small enough life stages move across any particular branch- injured branches are often wrapped in silk bandages to make it stronger and hide the scent. A third, only-volant symbiont exists in the flowers- Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk call them zvyuum, and instinctively feed them their dead after hanging them off branches.

Homeworld and Governed Colonies: Ven'Kuph is a dry, tidally locked world of scorching temperatures and saline sulphuric acid seas. On its sunward side, temperatures can rise as high as 290'C- hot enough to melt bismuth and tin. On the nightward side it reaches 170'C, cold enough to solidify lithium. Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk can withstand living at environments of 200'C to 270'C- above or below that, it's just not worth living there.

They lack a moon of their own, but the neighbouring, spaceward greenhouse planet of Xyktivern has a large moon that preserves fossils of primitive bacterial colonies from before its atmosphere bled away. These fossils have mysterious chemical signatures, and the leading hypothesis is that they incorporated carbon molecules into their cell membranes in some strange and alien manner. Both Xyktivern and its moon are colonised, the largest of their numerous colonies within the solar system- helped by the relative ease by which supplies can be transferred back and forth between the two. So far, no multicellular life has been discovered. Some have suggested looking into the dihydrogen monoxide and methane moons of the gas giants, but such frigid moons are seen as unlikely candidates due to a lack of the energy needed for complex biological reactions.

History: Modern Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk society is descended from a primal and rather fluid society of wandering people being brought in and sent to the most suitable place by wise elders. As time went on and times got less scarce, their alien psychology naturally formed itself into a heirarchy- where elders were replaced by knowledgeable groups, that would accept the counsel of lower groups and rely on those lower groups to ensure the whole society was assured their commands were for the greater good. This structure is the foundation of their government, just like politics is the foundation of ours- though due to already being at the ideal solution of the prisoner's dilemma, there aren't ideas as radical as us replacing politics with absolute or common rule, for example.

Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk have had a number of 'Great Failures', where a lack of understanding before full implementation of technology led to disastrous consequences for society. (The modern, greater understanding generally means that they are more seen as great tragedies to be learned from rather than signs something is morally wrong.) The first was the Failure of Religion, where the worship of morally-incompatible gods led to great, sometimes even world-spanning wars (lacking much of the isolation that oceans offer due to being a very dry planet). Luck and banding together meant that more moderate religions survived, destroying those enemy religions until they either saw proof they were wrong or they were annihilated. With the advent of science and the concept of uniformitarianism, it is unlikely that such religions will become large enough to cause civil war once more- new moral incompatibilities will be required, a list that shrinks with their maturity.

As the modern age began and science grew ever more popular, new theories led to further mistakes, many of them similar to our own. The Failure of Warming would be fairly familiar to us, though it wasn't as bad. The Failure of Eugenics led to inbreeding, and archaeogenetic evidence suggests that entire sexes may have been lost to it. The Failure of Control led to enormous environmental from overzealous use of pesticides and introduced species, while the Failure of Isolation happened before the Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk realised that they, their symbionts and their domesticated were psychologically and physically dependent on a working ecology. And the Failure of Medicine was caused by overuse of antibiotics, leading to multiple failed breeding seasons for their symbionts after instinctive sky burials lead to the trees' pollenators being poisoned by them, in turn resulting in Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk going through a period where there were neither the homes nor the food for the next generation.

These mistakes have led to increased testing where possible, and paranoia where not. The memory of performing the irreversible- combined with empirical evidence of other races' capacity for good through philosophy and history is likely to help preserve and enable coexistence with less naturally-cooperative races. Military growth is likely on encountering alien civilization, to ensure aliens cannot harm them before they finish progression from a dementedly evil society to a sane and rational one. Any society where conditions deteriorate over time, however, is likely to be seen as a threat worthy of correction- through conquest, eugenics, genocide or any other methods the Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk deem necessary.

Location: The Celestial Heirarchy stretches across the solar system, Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk having been united under the light of their sun Zyk'zrrka since before they even left their homeworld. It is considered unlikely that they will fracture in the future, beyond maybe town-level holdings attempting to revive old religions in the names of thirsty gods.

Government / Organization: Roles are assigned democratically and/or by experts, forming a complex heirarchy that translates orders for the greater good to the people at the bottom. They serve the people- self-serving politicians do not last long at all, usually not even long enough to become a politician in the first place. A more appropriate term for their governors might be 'administrator'. Decisions on who is assigned to which administratorial body are based on competency at a given task, making their society as a whole function as what we would call a heirarchal socialist technocracy (though for them the heirarchy is more important, as the social and technocratic parts are seen as a given more than anything). As a generalisation, the higher you go, the less the government is concerned with individual welfare and the more it is concerned with resource distribution wnd protection of society as a whole. All levels of government possess some level of combat ability for tie-breaking- ranging from martial arts teams for local levels too small for lethal combat, to entire militaries at the higher levels.

Culture: The Gyk-Zurr-Dahkks' most noticeable societal feature is the widespread use of cybernetically-enhanced animals instead of vehicles. Their chosen mount is the drikk, a species with a low-slung body and highly dexterous front-oriented mouthparts. They terrestrially and aquatically outperform Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk, reproduce rapidly, and due to various technological and biological quirks- superior acceptance for amputation and prosthetics compared to their riders, the late appearance of the combustion engine and the difficulty in getting a car into a tree to name a few. By the time cars became economically viable, they were sidelined to specialist vehicles for extreme environments or loads that a cyberdrikk couldn't handle- and due to being as vital to their society as the car is to ours, these drikk have travelled with their masters to the stars.

Recent advancements in cybernetic implants have allowed two-way sensory transfer between Gyk and animal, allowing for precise military control, better care and active domestication of species otherwise difficult to control. Current projects include their equivalents of whales, bears, oxen and megamammoths- they were conventionally limited to drikk for large mounts, the rest being equivalent to bees, pigeons, squirrels and- in one case- dogs. These creatures (called greklix) have large, kangaroo-like back legs and brachiating forelimbs, with a single middle limb for grasping purposes and a pair of spurs behind that. They are somewhat more catlike than dogs in behaviour, with a distinct rattish tinge. They still function to turn spits, scent and other such behaviours in modern society, though their binocular vision from an extra pair of eyes rather than halteres is the main reason for cybernetic sensory transfer. These creatures are bred naturally, and there are laws against cybernetic implants preventing reproduction in them, other domesticates and the Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk themselves- to ensure continuation of said species is possible even in the event of total industrial collapse.

Cybernetics are also applied in more conventional ways- despite not seeing nature as primitive technologically (thus using bee creatures as smelling-boxes where practical and so on), they are still an industrialised society on par with our own. Their internet is (like most things) state-owned and used as a democratic, manufacturing and social platform, for example letting a group of Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk to choose and order their allotted luxury goods and foods from state factories. VR video games utilise implants to gain additional data not easily gathered by conventional controllers, often taking advantage of equilibroreception, while other programs allow simulations of handcrafting goods for reproduction in factories. And they all provide a basic overview of individual wellbeing for the government, helping ensure their society really is equal.

Prosthetics are less common, due to their less advanced state, save for in the military or on animals. They are designed to be rugged, able to maintain quality of life without being maintained themselves. While common in nearly all forms, boating and aeronautics are largely vehicle-only. Cruise ships, physically isolated expeditions, forts and spacecraft, on the other hand, utilise room-sized cuttings from their trees to allow the comfort of their hosts. Actual trees are used for housing in pretty much all other scenarios- other buildings are for work or recreation only.

Due to their psychology, Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk generally lack a concept of Hell or being damned for a lack of worship. In the past, then, religious war wasn't caused by people raising up a superior god- they would be proved superior or not by skirmish or debate, and then usually put in a heirarchy, resulting in a Hellenic-like pantheon of various gods. Rather, it was gods with conflicting moral codes- the most obvious being the necessity of human sacrifice versus the necessity of not killing- that drove the great religious wars. Religious discrimination is outlawed by the current government, and their history plus the scientific notion of uniformitarianism has since crippled many of the more extreme sacrificial religions. The most popular religious choice is atheism, much like with humans, while second place is the worship of a benevolent sky god and the lesser gods of everything- drugs are used to identify these lesser gods, and it's likely that other planets' religions would be accepted at some level and drawn into the heirarchy.

Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk take great pride in symbols of office. These are things of cultural or personal importance, but not actually of additional practical use- such as a fur coat made from a rare animal (though those are usually made from zoo animals post-Failure of Isolation), or a statue to hang on the porch of one's residence. Their ultimate administrators each possess a number of trinkets representing each Failure- the skull of a pollenator poisoned by drugs, a helmet forged from cannons last used as the Failure of Religion ended, glass rings forged from the sand of exposed seabed, and so on- to keep them from ever being repeated or forgotten.

For those greatest and most honoured Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk, recent times have brought a newfound tradition. When their skeletons have been stripped clean by the pollenators, and when their bones are to return to the soil beneath, they are gently picked up to be reforged anew. The iron oxides in their last remains can be extracted and made pure, until finally, the remnants of their bones join the material reserved for something far greater- a ship that sails the stars, so that even in death they may bring their people into the stars,

Military Doctrine: The Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk military is a fragmented structure, designed to represent resources of administrative groups and resolve internal deadlock rather than to occupy territory or other such things. However, the government as a whole keeps its own military should it ever be needed- in case of deadlock with an alien polity. Equipment and advancements are standardised, and the skirmishes ensure they never quite get rusty, although their military would still be considered quite small by many standards.

Fleets consist of small, fast ships protecting and attacking larger and more defensive ships- composed of iron for its cheapness and ease of mining, and fuelled by lithium for its relative density and ease of storage compared to gas ions. Likewise, ground units consist of rapid fortifications and rapid small-unit assaults, designed to shock and awe opponents into submission. Cyberdrikk cavalry acts as their main infantry, while cybernetic implants let them aim from within protected structures like armoured saddles and fortresses- not even needing sight holes. As drikk can use cover, move multidirectionally and move faster than a low-profile Gyk-Zurr-Dahkk can, they act more like infantry than the real infantry do, and their implants prevent the panic expected from animals. Animals are often used as drones- small animals carrying explosives, for example, or greklix being controlled from long distances to snipe targets. Air support comes in the form of jets and artillery. Their military can be summed up as efficient, highly proficient in guerilla and raiding tactics, and reasonable at defense, but poor at open warfare and lacking in vital areas such as occupation of territory.

Corecin
Member Avatar
Won the Thottery! Send help!
Species: Corite (Silvanatus novus) & The Southern Subspecies (Silvanatus australis)
Nation: Nirn
Homeworld: Mardima
Home Star: Fael
Modifiers:
  • Small Planet +1
  • Mineral Rich
  • Weak Magnetic Field
  • Alien Artifacts

Traits:
  • Armor I (Carbon Nanotubes)
  • Artificial Intelligence I (Neural Network)
  • Cybernetics I (Basic Implants)
  • Field Manipulators I (Deflectors)
  • Robotics I (Simple Robotics)

Combos:
  • Artificial Intelligence I & Cybernetics I (memory extractions, recording and livestreaming one's sights, and a highly complex communication between other cybernetics, cybernetic animals, and droids)
  • Artificial Intelligence I & Robotics I (Common droids and robots, used from military purposes, to more domestic ones)
  • Cybernetics I & Robotics (Replacement of limbs, body parts, and even parts of the internal, or external skeleton, used commonly for a mix of utility, and fashion, also allows great interfacing with droids and vehicles, meaning a ship can be controlled with only one's mind)

Resources:
  • Fuel: Lithium allows for fast and maneuverable ships, perfect for the Nirn military, and for exploration and trading vessels.
  • Construction Material: Aluminium is commonly used for the great fleets of Nirn, allowing for overwhelming numbers.

Biology: Life on Mardima is carbon based, though due to hailing from a planet of the ice and snow, life makes use of various anti-freezing agents in its cells and blood.

Corites belong to an order of (largely) terrestrial animals which are characterized by both an internal and external exoskeleton (though even the external skeleton tends to be covered in a layer of skin or flesh), three eyes, and three ancestrally internal organs turned external. The corite's clade is characterized by their three tentacles (internal organs turned external), a thin layer of flesh over their shell, and their highly complex feather like coat, the clade is best known for their highly advanced coating, and their three tentacles, which allow the clade highly complex visual communication, manipulatory capabilities, which brings efficiency when it comes to grazing, feeding, hunting, and everything else.

Corites of the modern day are modestly sized beings, their shoulders usually as high off the ground as a human's knees. They have a periscope like head and neck, four thin legs, and (usually) a coat of highly advanced and mobile fuzz, all in all making them look like some small, alien antelope. Their head is characterized by a large, cyclopean, forward facing eye, and two smaller eyes on the side, with around three holes under each eye, which function as nostrils and ears of sorts. Under their head is their mouth, which would be constantly agape if not for four large teeth on each side, which seal the entrance and crush food like plants, meats, and in the case of their ancestors, shelled creeping animals and carrion. Their feet are like hooves with many, many toes, and on each leg is a single, large, raptor-like claw jutting out just above the base of the foot itself, having been commonly used for fighting rivals and predators off, as well as aiding in climbing and supplying an extra grip. Like all members of their group, they have three tentacles jutting out of their chest

The details above are quite vague, leaving out more specific details such as color or physical capabilities, this is because, in the modern day, corites can vary in nearly all respects. This is because variation in the species is at an all-time high (or low, depending on who you ask), with 'biracial' corites being the majority of the population in most countries. The advent of cybernetics and the cultural practice of replacing parts of the body with robotic equivalents (or upgrades), spearheaded by the nation of Nirn for practical and aesthetic purposes, has brought an even greater variety of appearances into the species, such as additional body parts, animated shells, and much more. Still, in your average (largely) unaltered corite, there are a few traits that are to be expected.

The three tentacles and digestive system of the average corite are often immune to poisons and venoms, though due to so much genetic interchange between different ethnic groups (and even between the two corite subspecies), the substances the tentacles are immune to can vary, though they can still recover and regenerate from great wounds and injuries, such as partial dismemberment. While corites can walk at any sort of pace for days on end, they are also capable of intense bursts of speed which clock an average of 35 MPH (48 KM), along with repeated hops, leaps, and even some surprising climbing and swimming capabilities. The best senses of a corite are touch and sight, their tentacles capable of feeling such minuscule details which ancestrally helped them scavenge for food along the forest floor, though their highly advanced and complex fuzz can also function similarly to whiskers. A corite's sight is highly advanced too, allowing them to see a wide variety of colors while also capable of excellent night vision, also useful in their ancestral forest life.

For a corite, raising young is quite the interesting experience, with young being born en masse, but not growing into their sapience as the young of humans would, which leads corites to be raised more like highly treasured and beloved pets, rather than children. Only during a corite's fifth year are when they become sapient, and during this time they can absorb knowledge like a sponge. Before the advent of advanced cybernetics, this fifth year was dedicated to putting corites in schooling, finding the greatest teachers, and expending many resources on them, though after the advent of said cybernetics, knowledge could be directly uploaded into the young corite's brain from a gigantic database. These knowledge stuffed corites have a ways to go before physically maturing, though they are still of use in less manual labor based jobs. Still, childcare supplies for the non-sapient young are a major market.

Homeworld:

Posted Image[1]
A map of Mardima.
The northwestern continent, which the ancestor of the corites evolved on, is known as Heikelm. The southeastern continent being known as Leilelm.
To the east of the sister continents is Earon, a continent which has been isolated from the two for far longer than they have each other.
The planet is dotted by a myriad of islands, icebergs, and ice-sheets.

Mardima is a planet similar to Mars, both in size and in distance from its sun, Fael.

Despite being an icy planet, which normally results in poor conditions for carbon-based life, its crust and oceans contain abnormal amounts of salts, most importantly natrium chloride, which prevents polar ice caps from forming, not to mention the aforementioned anti-freezing agents in most life's cells andblood. This allows for a thriving biosphere with forests where normally bleak tundra would dominate the landscape. Nevertheless, precipitation comes in the form of snow and many inland regions are covered in glaciers.

Mardima, aside from its starkly out of place forests, is also notable for the great megafauna of its various environs, which can range in size from that of a dog, to those of the non-avian dinosaurs. Ever since the dawn of corite civilization, megafauna hasn't been so negatively effected, with no corite based mass extinctions or natural climate change having occurred for any corites to have witnessed. Of course, some species have gone extinct (or more commonly been driven out of their ancestral ranges) from corite based issues, such as empire building, wars, and pollution from nations which care little for the environment, though these are a minority, with ancient gods usually endowing their followers a respect for nature.

History: The ancestors of modern corites, known as aranites, evolved in the southern forests of Heikelm, being comparable to the wild pigs or even forests elephants of Earth. They were thought to have modeled the environment according to their needs early on, in the form of digging out homes, planting trees and raising smaller organisms, and creating and spreading puddles and streams. The aranites would spread out from their forest soon enough, with some corites spreading to the southern continent and various islands, eventually evolving into the southern subspecies. For five million years, corites would not have any geologically notable empires, though eventually some cultures would sail to the far off eastern continent of Earon, where one nation would develop industrialization, eventually leading to the species breaching the atmosphere and achieving space travel.

Location: The nation of Nirn is the largest and most widespread nation on the planet, found among the southern and northern areas of Heikelm and Leilem respectively, along with owning much of the nearby oceans and islands. Throughout history, Nirn has been a nation of trade and exploration, having been very important in transporting goods, ideas, and technological progress throughout the world, making them very wealthy even in the modern day.

Government / Organization: Nirn has had many different governments throughout its time, though nowadays it's become a monarchy with a great royal family, whose children are raised with the ideas of them being figures of fame, along with politicians, scientists, generals, and celebrities, not to say that all in those fields have royal blood. The King is the most powerful individual in Nirn, though his queens have more power combined than he does. The King himself usually appoints many trusted and skilled individuals to positions of power, though many tend to get their with citizen help, or purely be themselves.

Culture: Nirn has long been a nation of the coasts and seas, long having had a great focus on colonization and exploration too, which has brought with it many ideas, goods, information, and peoples into the nation, which once made it a cultural melting pot, though over time it has formed its own unique culture, with only roots from others. As a consequence, Nirn has collected a myriad of different crops. livestock, and dishes, which give the nation a wide range of diet. Covering such a wide and diverse array of climates, biomes, ecosystems, and landmarks means that the people of Nirn usually practice a myriad of different activities, hobbies, sports, and games, all of this leading to Nirn being far more active and healthy than most other nations.

As another effect of Nirn's cultural exchanges, exploration, and wide range of islands, a variety of folktales, stories, and myths have ingrained themselves within Nirn's culture, with a main mythos making itself known, along with fantasy and scifi settings having been developed in media. Nirn's main religion is not affiliated with these fictional places, peoples, and creatures, now being known to be misidentifications of real things, or purely made up stories, though they're still deeply ingrained in Nirn's culture, and well known in other cultures and nations. The various creatures and places of these myths are often used as mascots, names of companies or businesses, and even items, goods, locations, and animals have been named after them.

The main religion of Nirn is that of The Sibling Gods, an ancient religion which is widely practiced throughout the world, and solar system. The Siblings are known as Skay and Lant, who are associated with any and everything that can be found throughout the universe. Lant is seen as the more controlled and collected god, and is associated with life, planets, heavenly bodies, and other things of the sort, while Skay is seen as more chaotic and powerful, such as the sky, space, and weather, neither are complete without the other. While Skay is seen as the stronger of the two, Lant has historically been more well liked, and worshiped the most, and for good reason, They brought the harvest, they provided ores and they kept the corites healthy. But in the last decades, as space colonization became more and more important, worship for Skay has skyrocketed. Offerings, sacrifices, and festivals to show appreciation and ask for help are common, the larger and more extravagant of these being done on various holidays, after victories, or for government based choices and decisions. Lant is both given attention and offerings in both the smaller and larger matters of life, like asking for help with sickness, or for assistance and blessing during war. Skay is offered and payed attention to during space travel, in space based matters, and in matters relating to weather and natural disasters and during the change of seasons.

So far, nothing has disproved the existence of The Sibling Gods, even the most skeptic of skeptics accept that they could exist.
Military Doctrine: Corites were (and still are) far from hunters throughout their history, preferring to prey on smaller animals, scavenge on carrion, or eat plants, as such, the main incentive to develop weapons had been for protecting from predators, reverse-engineering them from tools, and for warfare, and even then, the tough exoskeletons of their planet's life has made killing quite hard, only during the advent of stronger weapons has warfare became so intense.

Explosions are the easiest way to take out a corite, with guns, projectiles, and even laser weaponry having been less than fatal, thus, corites have developed 'gurreta', the explosive bullet. Gurreta are capable of detonating in a thumbtack sized ball of fire, which can blow apart a small section of a corite's head, to a much larger explosion which can take out many, and are among the most common of weapons, with advancements which allow for detonation only when wanted, without the risk of blowing apart the corite holding the gun.

In terms of battle tactics, Nirn is extremely flexible, but does have many set strategies at the ready. Nirn prefers to stay small and fast, to avoid entire squadrons being blown apart in an instant, leading to a variety of squads operating together, who communicate effectively with each other and others using cybernetics. Aerial attacks involving planes and ships are common too, though the advents of cybernetics, robotics, and neural networks allows for smaller, flying ship-less squads, which are highly effective and destructive stealth units, though this does often lead to aerial dogfights. Large and bulky ground vehicles are rarely used, as they are easily targets for destructive weaponry, though small and speedy bikes and cars are used by ground troops. Navy battles too involve a variety of destructive and capable individuals and aerial interference, large and bulky ships and submarines not being used in excess, and thanks to a great degree of scientific and ancient knowledge on the water and sea, Nirn has a notable edge with their navy. Still, in all of these wars are one destructive force, the Nirn mile guns, powerful weapons which are usually far off from the true fighting, but pack enough firepower and range to provide assistance, and troops are prepared and capable of hijacking any enemy forces they can, and will either destroy them, or use them against their enemies.

In space, Nirn continues to use similar strategies that are used in terrestrial battles, involving a great amount of small and speedy ships, and cybernetic, robotic, or extremely well armored individuals in squads, which can still be destructive. Far off 'lightyear' ships are the space equivalent to the terrestrial mile guns, usually farther off and well protected, while causing destruction and chaos among enemies. The ship-less corites and robots are also capable of infiltrating enemy ships, causing destruction from inside, or even hijacking enemy ships to use them for themselves.

Nirn soldiers and troops are usually very well equipped, given highly protective armor, destructive and stealthy weapons, the latest in cybernetics and robotic body parts, not to mention the war droids and domestic animals of war which are used alongside actual corites. Corites in ships, either aerial, aquatic, or space based, are given equipment which would allow them to survive and maneuver in their respective conditions, should their ship be destroyed, or if it must be abandoned.
[1] Link for better resolution.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fazaner
Member Avatar
Шашава птичурина
I have added picture of my races in my post, and expanded little on combat doctrines.

Dr Nitwhite
Member Avatar
Luddite
Name- Blinker (The actual name of this species is impossible to transcribe on paper with conventional symbology)

"Nation"- Antiboreas

Home world- Twinkworld (Again, this isn't the name the Blinkers have given their world, we cannot transcribe the actual name here)

Archetype- Organic Individuals

Modifiers-

• Small Planet (+1)
  • Strictly Carnivorous (+1)
  • Lush World (-1)
  • Preserved Biodiversity (-1)

Traits-

• Genetic Modification (tier III, widespread ecological design, as well as the capability of homebreeding organisms for any manner of practical and artistic use)
  • Federated Nations (tier I, international coalition in charge of "worldwide garden" (artificial ecosystem), plays roll in political and military regulation as well)

Resources-

• Hydrogen
  • Biological

Biology- A blinker is quite an imposing sight. Growing to a maximum of around 4 meters, they dwarf most things on earth. However, on their planet, they're relatively the same size as earthlings. And while they may stand tall, they are also noticeably thin. They lack arms and sport a long, graceful neck, with long legs to boot. One would be forgiven for mistaking a Blinker for a heron at a distance, as they take a noticeably similar posture while walking and standing and have a similar silhouette. However, when you approach the thing you'll notice the face full of tentacles and featherless, amphibian like skin, ending the illusion. Blinkers have four "main" tentacles that serve as pseudo-arms, along with hundreds of threadlike ones, which all surround the face. The larger tentacles are used primarily for manipulation of the environment, while the smaller are used to communicate and manipulate food. Blinkers evolved in the intertidal and riparian zones of their planet, sifting through the water with their myriad tentacles for small shrimp like organisms that resembles very much our fairy shrimp. These threadlike tentacles are also used to communicate- using biolumenecent photophores. Watching a blinker talk is like watching television static- the hundreds of photophores flashing at once can convey several sentences in a few seconds. This method of communication seems to have evolved for two reasons- the first being that Blinkers have no auditory inputs (they can sense vibrations in the earth below them quite well, but this is hardly the same), the second being the incredibly long day-night cycle their planet undertakes- Blinkers operate in pitch night for almost a week. Blinkers have two sets of eyes, one grossly enlarged used for night vision, the other smaller and used for daytime vision.

Homeworld- Twinkworld is a very warm and wet place, resembling very much earth during the cretaceous. All life on its surface is carbon based and uses water as a solvent. Twinkworld is mutually tidally locked to its moon, Dim-moon, which lacks an atmosphere. It's approximately half the size of twinkworld, and they both orbit a point slightly outside of Twinkworlds atmosphere. The relationship Twinkworld has with its moon has created its prolonged day night cycle as well as incredibly exaggerated tides. This has created a unique biome, the "floodforest", not unlike our mangroves- simply much more extensive and with incredible tidal variation. It is in this life zone Blinkers evolved and the majority of the population still lives. The rest of the planet is covered in thick rainforests and lush interior plains, with only a few tiny deserts.

History- Blinker history took quite an odd path compared to ours. Two major challenges faced them from the get-go "farming" the schools of blink-shrimp they depended on, and devising a writing system. It was these two demands that appear to have led them to the point they've reached today. These problems were both solved the same way- with domesticated species. Blink-shrimp are a lot like tiny sheep, they flock together and range far. Over time, Blinkers developed "Water Dogs", fishlike animals that herded their flocks of blink-shrimp. And as blink-shrimp became more easily controlled, they became domesticated in their own right, becoming more sedentary and trusting of Blinker feet in their waters. Writing was invented by breeding specialized "Sign Stumps" sedentary, fungus-like organisms with bioluminecent patches designed to attract pollinators. These patches also respond to touch (a method of startling predators). Blinkers originally bred them as food, but eventually selected a variety that continued to light its patches after they'd been excited, indefinitely, or until they were touched again. This then allowed for LED like displays that conveyed a permanent record.

The natural pasture blink-shrimp needed to feed in (and Blinkers to live in) and necessity of growing public (and well guarded) biological signposts ensured Blinkers were always rooted deeply in a naturalistic setting and artificial selection was cemented as a "go to" solution in Blinker minds. Biology as a field progressed far faster than anything else, unfettered by religious taboos and accelerated by past successes (Blinkers are far from areligious, but tended toward loose animistic interpretations without much in the way of concrete mythology or a consolidated church past the local shaman). Many discoveries in other fields, such as the nature of electricity, (and later the concept of the atom), were make as a consequence of intensive breeding of the alien equivalent of electric eels. By the time wormholes were discovered, genetic manipulation had passed purely practical use into art- almost anyone can breed or design creatures of their own devising- rearing them in their own homes or contacting a local "breeder" to do the job for them. The worlds ecology is almost entirely artificial, almost everything that lives and can be seen with the naked eye (and even many microbes) has been tampered with in some way and serves some function or another, even if it is a purely aesthetic one.

Location- Antiboreas is located on the southern continent of... antiboria, which is quite similar to our Antarctica.

Government- The IEC was originally conceived by the people of Twinkworld as a regulatory body managing the "worldwide garden", the name they'd given to the new artificial ecosystem that had emerged after the advent of widely efficient Genetic Engineering technology. It served an important role in consolidating the several "state" ecosystems many nations had independently derived, which often had incompatible species that would bleed into the borders of surrounding nations and destroy important organisms, such as the native variation on the "house tree". In some cases, wars were fought over these disputes, and eventually all nations agreed to create an international commission to mediate them. Since its founding, the IEC has expanded its role into politics and warfare more directly, operating in a capacity similar to our UN, only with actual power behind its words (given its control over so much of ecological regulation). However, its constituent nations still remain independent and regulate their own trade, collect their own taxes, set their own laws, and fight their own wars (for the most part). Antiborea is one of the larger nations in this compact and has been instrumental in leading its actions.

One of the IEC's main directives at this time is the discovery and implementation of alien genomes into the current Worldwide Garden- who knows what alien biologies will teach us?

Culture- Blinker culture is variable, but due to the IEC homogenizing the environment considerably, there are common patterns that permeate much of the globe. The reliance on the immediate environment for basic needs is shared by all. People often live in modified trees, including massive, redwood like condominiums that would be impossible with earth gravity. Some of the more progressive and wealthy have taken to living in "Octo-houses", modified, eight legged, radial crab-like animals which have been bred to contain massive air bubbles in their exoskeleton. As many as ten people can live in these massive, mobile octo houses, which stride through the drowned plains and forests of Twinkworld with majesty. Most are content to live in a small, local community, and cities have decreased in importance. Many enjoy taking part in sports involving modified organisms, where contestants breed their own livestock to race, fight, or even find (Find the Shroom-frog is a popular pastime among young children). Many also keep their own livestock with them, feeding on their personal flocks of highly modified blink-shrimp.

Military Doctrine- Warfare among Blinkers is a very curious thing. Most combat is fought in the tangled environment they've created for themselves, and war between states involve creating whole mobile "combat ecosystems" that ravages the structure of their opponents with all manner of manufactured diseases, pests, and even megafaunal terrors, along with the ground troops. Defenders take a similar stance, creating impregnable hellholes impossible to invade, full of disease, mud, thorns, and gnashing teeth. Plagues are just as easily cured as they are produced, and so aren't the total game ender one might think.

The atom has not yet been split and no states have really employed military space ships yet- though this is likely to change as the technology develops. Space ships are a relatively new concept to Blinkers, and they are grown from living tissue, same as most of their technology. However, these ships hardly resemble any other living organisms, being grown to live specifically in the depths of space.

Hopefully I covered all the bases here... Will add home planet map and drawing of a Blinker later.
Edited by Dr Nitwhite, Jan 12 2018, 07:06 PM.
Speculative Evolution Projects-

Other Relevant Work-

SE Lifelist standings as of 7/25/17

BREAKING NEWS
We interrupt your regular programming to bring you this cutting edge report.
ATTENDANCE DROPS DRASTICALLY ON SE SERVER
This past Monday on Discord, famous server Speculative Evolution took a hit in the attendance office when it's offline member list suddenly reappeared. Mods scrambled to rectify the situation, but unfortunately there was little anyone could do. Server member Ivan was asked what he thought of the situation. "So long as Flisch, lord of machines and scion of Urborg lives, all will be well". SE, (in)famous for it's eccentric userbase, has recently been spiraling downward, and now we have hard conformation of the decline. Moderator "High Lord" Icthyander states "There is nothing to be concerned about, Discord is merely changing its UI again", but members are beginning to suspect the honesty of their staff.
Stay tuned, we'll be back with more at 11.

Sphenodon
Member Avatar
Calcareous

Species: Mlumno-Pwat (plural: mlumno-pwath, adjective: mlumnun)
Nation: Orrlough (adjective: Orrloughmi)
Homeworld: Vlaank (adjective: Vlaanker)
Home Star: Bmaalu

Modifiers:
  • Strict Carnivores [+1]
  • Preserved Biodiversity [-1]

Traits:
  • Genetic Engineering, Tier II (Gene Modding)
  • International Unification, Tier I (Federated Nations)
  • Robotics, Tier I (Simple Robotics)

Resources:
  • Fuel: Helium
  • Construction: Aluminium

Biology: Vlaanker life is carbon-based, and in terms of internal mechanisms bears much similarity to Earthly biota; the faunal guild to which the mlumno-pwat belong is the closest analogue to Tetrapoda on Vlaank. Ancestral traits include: a core body shape reminiscent of a horseshoe or catamaran (the central part of the body housing most vital viscera, and the two bifurcated protusions acting as primary supports for limbs); five primary limbs (three pairs of jointed limbs based in the "leg struts", a robust pair of frontally-oriented limbs ending in heavy claws, and a pair of long, gracile limbs acting as the species' primary dextrous manipulators); two pairs of retractable eye stalks; and a "mouth" structure comprised of a radial jaw similar to an Aristotle's lantern, surrounded by roughly twelve short, soft manipulatory appendages and enclosed beneath a large "hatch".

Mlumno-pwath are fairly large beings, with most adults standing about eight feet long (~2.5 m.) and five feet high (~1.5 m.), and weighing approximately three hundred pounds (~130 kg.). The species is secondarily terrestrial, having originated in a group of primarily arboreal back-hunting predators before adapting to a cursorial existence; with their long limbs and profound endurance, mlunmo-pwath are thus excellent runners, with many individuals being able to hold a 20 kilometer-per-hour pace for hours on end. This is further facilitated by a remarkably complex respiratory system, extending through much of the body and based in the leg-supporting regions protruding from the central "torso". Through this ancestrally cursorial lifestyle, mlumno-pwath have developed an affinity for open environments; small spaces differ in that while they can be confortable, they tend to elicit drowsiness or (in reproducing individuals) brooding instincts. The average mlumnun lifespan is roughly ninety Vlaanker years, though this has been on an slow and steady increase for the past few decades.

Mlumnun communication is typically verbal, achieved by rushing air out the beak and out of creases between the oral hatch and torso, with modifications originating in movements of the hatch's "lip", the hatch itself, and the fleshy oral appendages within. Certain linguistic forms also make use of whistles emitted from the species' respiratory spiracles, found between the second and third pairs of ambulatory limbs. Touch is also typically prevalent to some degree in mlumno-pwat communication and sociality, with touching of dextrous limbs being a common sign of trust and friendliness; this reflects the dextrous arms' distant origins as sensory appendages, and remains their primary purpose besides fine manipulation and movement of small items (as compared to the compact, robust claw-bearing arms held between the forelegs, whose ancient purpose stood mainly to tightly grasp objects and to tear apart food items too large to be handed by the dextrous arms to the mouth. While not often required nowadays as brute tearing implements, these limbs remain the primary outlets of directed manual strength for mlumno-pwath).

Homeworld: Vlaank is quite similar to Earth in its composition, overall size, and density; it orbits its star at a period of approximately 382 Earth days, with an axial tilt of 18.7 degrees. Roughly 73% of Vlaank is covered in oceans, with landmass divided between five continents and a variety of archipelagos; three of these continents comprise a supercontinent, upon which the mlumno-pwath originated. Deserts are rather rare on Vlaank, a result of the planet's arrangement of coastlines and continental interiors and a significantly larger presence of freshwater in continental interiors. Large rivers, riparian forests, and floodplains are common across continental interiors, and a variety of rich deltas at their estuaries form hotbeds for mlumno-pwat societies.

History: Spreading rather quickly across their home planet, civilization appeared slowly among the mlumno-pwath, with sedentary society eventually consolidated from nomadic herding of prey animals over several hundred thousand years in the defense of particularly lush grazing regions and rich mines. While early mlumno-pwat history was thus mired in near-endless (and often highly destructive) conflict over grazing land, over time a new concept began to permeate across their society: cooperation. Nation-states that were able to coexist, share their lands and resources, and enforce peace within their lands were able to avoid the devastating effects of warfare on stockherds and pastureland, allowing them added individual strength and safety in addition to that provided through alliance.

While warfare thus came to decrease in overall volume (though never truly cease - territorial and tribal spats for long plagued mlumno-pwat civilizations as they had in the past, now simply made more infrequent and of larger scale than before), the species' reliance on stockland remained a chiefmost limiter to societal growth. A vast number of sciences and ethoses developed around the cultivation of land to both allow for optimal food production, and to prevent the catastrophic boom-and-bust cycles that historically plagued overly successful mlumno-pwat cultures. In the end, the prevailing schools of thought revolved around oneness with the ecology - healthy ecosystems were fruitful not only for cultivated stock, but for game and other organisms that benefited what could be directly eaten. Through these studies came intense learning of the principles of scientific ecology; as abiotic technology crept forward there came to be continually greater harnessing over the species' biological resources, whether the intense selection of livestock for efficiency or the steadfast maintenance and repair of ecosystems to repair damages caused in previous eras, damages unseen now that sometimes vastly increased the areas' productivity.

Technology also progressed in fields beyond ecology, and eventually, a profound breakthrough came to be made in the age of electrical technology. The arts of direct genetic manipulation were discovered, and quickly mastered with fervor, eventually culminating in successive victories over the mlumno-pwath' ancient agricultural struggle. Immensely efficient cell-mat creatures, long-derived from their base ancestral domestic stock, were created and grown with ease in industrialized settings. Even more prevalent were the creation of some of the first truly effective crops, with nutritious compositions nearly mirroring those of meat while able to grow in soil with only a fraction of the resources an animal needed. The old ways of the mlumno-pwath' stockherding methods remained pillars of their culture, but this new agricultural revolution built the foundation upon which civilization could thrive as never before seen.

A civilization which has now found itself, some several decades later, with the means to travel to the stars.

Location: Orrlough is located in the western-to-equatorial portion of Vlaank's supercontinent. Most of the nation's territory is concentrated in the westernmost continent comprising the landmass; beyond this, it controls some small contiguous portions of the eastern continent and a variety of islands and territorial exclaves elsewhere across Vlaank. Over the span of its history, Orrlough's core territory has come to cover several rather lush regions (including multiple lush river valleys and a sizable portion of the Vromilomn, a lush, titanic temperate savannah region that has been a historical lode region for livestock grazing). This has allowed Orrlough both to support the infrastructure needed to become a world power, and to remain an integral component to the production and trade of foodstuffs across Vlaank.

Government / Organization: The government of Orrlough is best likened to a federal parliamentary republic, being the long-consolidated result to what was once an ancient cooperative network of statelets (whose existences are still hinted at by the divisional patterns of its regions, their borders corresponding to the long-unified states). Given the size of Orrlough, regions maintain a fair degree of autonomy within the system of their self-regulation to allow for optimal performance in differing conditions, and an intermediary system between the nation's "states" and its federated system exists in an array of "commonwealth" regions of states. These regions act as regionalized legislative blocs tackling issues and regulating in ordinance with the nuances of their specific areas, with population density and geography being the primary two routes through which they are formulated. Governmental representatives are elected (at a rate of approximately once per six Vlaanker years), with work ethic, intellect, and other such meritocratic principles being the primary method of deciding worthiness for positions. Five primary tiers of legislation exist (rough equivalents of municipalities, counties, states/provinces, "commonwealths", and federal); while this level of bureaucratic differentiation would seem to indicate intense corruption and internal inefficiency, the ancient mlumnun tendency towards cooperative coordination of efforts coupled with Orrlough's age and development have shaped the system into a remarkably efficient entity.

Mlumno-pwat governments throughout Vlaank take many forms altogether, but the IPEV - In Permvollot un Eirna un Vlaank (meaning roughly The Federated Nations of Vlaank) - exists as a cooperative union of all these states, a logical conclusion of the old pattern of alliance-based diplomacy for mutual benefit. Participant nations are awarded a voice in the IPEV body and its functions, and while sometimes negotiating peace or planning involvement in cases of conflict more commonly act to manage collective ventures, such as trade, ecological mangement, and research. Prominent "unstated" institutions are also often given places of interaction at IPEV, such as land managers, research organizations, and even certain trade unions. Leadership is thus as varied as the states/entities themselves, ranging from board members and elected officials to the rare delegations of nobility and clan representatives.

Culture: Large cities in the human sense have never been a particularly common phenomena on Vlaank, with proper megacities only beginning to appear in the last several decades; while a significant factor in this is the fairly recent existence of means to sustainably supply such populations with food, the tendency is to an extent a cultural phenomenon originating from a widespread aversion to crowding (with overpopulation in previous eras correlating to subsequent crashes and damage to both stockland and local ecosystems). Cities that do exist are thus far more open, less dense, and populated with local biota as best possible.

The mlumnun view of nature is complex. Nature is seen as an aspect of the world to be carefully managed and preserved as best possible, a view which reflects the species' ancient reliance on healthy, well-maintained regions of the world for stable survival. Land management is thus deeply ingrained in the mlumno-pwat psyche, and seen as a highly desirable pursuit - those individuals not fortunate to be large-scale landholders or stockherders often keep to the tending of backyard "garden" plots (historically serving solely for land management and conservation, though in recent times beginning to be utilized for private food production with the advent of meat-like crops and miniaturized stock) or aquariums. In the same vein, agriculture is not seen so much as an independent sphere from nature, but an included segment within natural management.

Mlumno-pwat life is highly valued, due both to the species' relatively slow rates of reproduction (with roughly annual production of single or double offspring being the general maximum) and to the historic difficulty in maintaining large numbers of mlumno-pwats in a given area. Family units are usually tightly-knit, and the sharing of resources between contiguous communities is traditional.

Military Doctrine: Mlumno-pwat conflict historically revolved around making use of the species' innate speed, and the vital importance (both strategic and defensive) of pastureland; with the advent of industrialization, warfare has since shifted to ensuring minimal losses of life among soldiers, with armored offensive units and massive networks of defense being the norm. In more recent decades, the increase in population from the recent agricultural boom has led to the adoption of more diverse forms of tactics, including more lightly-armored, faster units enacting tactics of rapid destruction and retreat in the vein of older mlumnun wars.

While still in some degree of flux, the modern system revolves around a mix of these tactics - a heavily-fortified "frontal core" serving as a slow-advancing frontline center of defense, with rapid-moving hit-and-run sections conducting the majority of offensive attacks on enemy terrain. Naval-style combat retains further focus on fortified large vessels, though this is beginning to change as well; aircraft tactics, on the contrary, are generally in the camp of rapid strikes en masse. With regards to common mlumnun military targeting doctrine, collateral damage with minimal casualties is typically the preferred course of action; bombardment of grazer herds and rations stockpiles more often than not can enforce surrender as effectively or even moreso than direct involvement, due to the rather terse state of mlumnun dietary management until recent times. Despite this, crippling offensives still exist, and when present are in blitzkrieg-esque form, designed to be rapid and utterly devastating with the goal of sufficiently demoralizing the opponent so that the conflict may end.
Edited by Sphenodon, Jan 5 2018, 11:50 PM.

We have a Discord server! If you would like to join, simply message myself, Flisch, or Icthyander.
Some of my ideas (nothing real yet, but soon):
Refugium: A last chance for collapsing ecosystems and their inhabitants.
Pansauria: A terraforming project featuring the evolution of exactly one animal - the marine iguana.
Mars Renewed: An insight into the life of Mars thirty million years after its terraforming by humankind.
Microcosm: An exceedingly small environment.
Alcyon: A planet colonized by species remodeled into new niches by genetic engineering.
Oddballs: Aberrant representatives of various biological groups compete and coexist.

..and probably some other stuff at some point (perhaps a no K-T project). Stay tuned!

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Alright everyone, I forgot something in the signup-sheet template. Please name your home star as well. Note that you'll be able to name the planets in your home system as you wish, but I need placeholder names and a name for the system at any rate.

Actually, speaking of naming, here's the naming scheme of stellar bodies:

<name of system> <latin letter> <arabian numbers> <greek alphabet> <roman numerals> <major/minor (only if applicable)>

This naming happens regardless of what the body is classified as. A name ending in a latin letter can be a planet or a star, if it's a star that orbits another star. Greek letters are very rare and only apply to bodies that are moons to planets that orbit stars that in themselves orbit a star. (Like a hypothetical planet with moon orbiting Proxima Centauri.) Even more so for roman numerals, though it is possible, if the "solar" system's center is a black hole.

'Minor' and 'Major' only applies to constellations in which two bodies orbit a shared byrecenter external to either body. The body with the larger mass is considered major while the other is minor.

Then there are asteroid belts and accretion disks, whose naming is a tad difficult. All rings between two planets are named by combining the preceding and following positions and then counting them like one would count moons. If there is no preceding planetary object, they gain the prefix 'pre-'. If there is no following planetary object, they gain the suffix '-fin'. If there is neither, the belt is called 'pre-fin', accompanied by a counting designator if there are more than one belts/disks in a row.

Examples:
  • Sol (Our sun)
  • Sol C (Earth)
  • Sol C 1 (Luna)
  • Sol 9 Major (Pluto, though Pluto is not actually in the game, because it's too small.)
  • Sol 9 Minor (Charon)
  • Centaurus Major (Alpha Centauri A, I ditched the Alpha as it is too confusing given the naming system I'm using)
  • Centaurus Minor (Alpha Centauri B)
  • Centaurus B (Hypothetical planet orbiting the centaurus binary.)
  • Centaurus F (Alpha Centauri C, or Proxima Centauri)
  • Centaurus F 2 (Proxima Centauri b)
  • Centaurus F 2 Alpha (Hypothetical moon orbiting Proxima Centauri b.)
  • Cygnus (Hypothetical Black Hole)
  • Cygnus A (Hypothetical giant star orbiting said black hole.)
  • Cygnus A 2 (Hypothetical main sequence star orbiting said giant star.)
  • Cygnus A 2 Gamma (Hypothetical planet orbiting said main sequence star.)
  • Cygnus A 2 Gamma I (Hypothetical moon orbiting said planet.)
  • Sol D-E (Our asteroid belt)
  • Gemini F-G 2 (Second asteroid belt of the belts between the 6th and 7th planets.)
  • Centaurus F 2-3 Beta (Second asteroid belt of the two hypothetical belts between Proxima Centauri b and the planet behind it.)
  • Pisces pre-A (Asteroid belt between the system's center and the first planet.)
  • Sagittarius H-fin (Asteroid belt at the very edge of its system.)
  • Aries pre-fin (The only asteroid belt in a system with no planetary objects.)
  • Cancer pre-fin 1 (The first of two separated accretion disks around the star Cancer.)
  • Libra A pre-fin Gamma (The third of multiple asteroid belts in a system that has no planetary bodies and whose center star orbits a larger star or black hole.)

Note that the numerical and alphabetical order is going from the main body (star, parent planet) outwards.

When you "tunnel" through to a new system, you name the system immediately as you give the order. (Technically your civilization should already have given the star a name, but we don't care about stars we haven't visited yet, so the name is created when a connection is established.)

Please note that these are only the "technical" or default designations. You can name your planets as you want, just how Sol II is called 'Venus'. Both the technical and the "common name" will be used in the documents I'll set up, so don't worry about memorizing stuff.

Now that we got this out of the way, some feedback:

@Fazaner:

You accidentally reversed the points you get from your modifiers. They give +1 points not -1.

Furthermore, please also mention the trait categories. I renamed the individual traits so often, having only the tier name can be confusing for me. :)

Please clarify how new council members are appointed. Are they elected? Is there an application process? Is it 'random' based on merit or do people get in based on personal connections?

@Nano:

While I'm still not 100% sold on the "these gyus are less gullible because evolution" shtick, I'm aware that this is an RP first and foremost and not a spec project. Still, I won't treat your entire species as uniformly as you presented it here, apart from the fact that you start out as one unified nation of course. Just a thing to keep in mind for the future. ;)

That greenhouse planet you described isn't part of your homeworld constellation, so describing it in your sheet is technically not allowed, but as you mentioned it more in passing than in detail, I'll let it slide. Odds are good there's going to be at least one greenhouse planet. Still, if it sets a precedent for other people, I'll disallow it. We'll see.

By the way I like how you incorporated and explained your trait choices and combos into your description.

@Corecin:

Please put the "+1" next to the "small planet" modifier. Also you forgot to mention whether your species or individual-based or a gestalt.

Also, I want to make you aware that your nation is not guaranteed colonies on all the moons. It's likely, but odds are that a moon might spawn as an independent colony.

@Nitwhite:

Twinkworld :^)

Also, do I get it right, you're playing as the supranational organization rather than an actual nation?

@Sphenodon:

Same as Nitwhite for you Sphen. Originally the federated trait was supposed to allow you to play a nation that is part of a union, so you start with allies in the game. I'm not sure if I want to disallow playing as the organization itself, but I think it's fairly tricky, seeing as you're fully dependent on your member nations, which are NPCs and thus not directly controlled. I mean, you don't even have citizens or an actual resource production. It also feels like it could lead to odd dynamics. Either I manipulate the RNG which seems a tad unfair to the others, or I don't, which can lead to you 'losing' the game to a technicality. Maybe we can clear this up in Discord.

At any rate I liked your entries, apart from these minor things. :D

One last thing: There's been an update to the trait document. 'Arc Emitters' now combos with 'Particles' to allow for Arc Emitters that can be used in space. :D
Edited by Flisch, Dec 27 2017, 03:01 PM.

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Small update: I changed the nomenclature of planetary objects (which doesn't really affect you at this point.) and also added a needlessly complicated way to name asteroid belts and accretion disks. :V

Dakka!
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
@Flisch can I make a sheet and wait for the game to progress one turn?
"I was a Psychiatrist in Florida! For 3 weeks! Have you ever been to Florida?"

Some project ideas
The Future is Right
Ediacaran Explosion
Great Old Ones
Skinkworld

Unrelated:The Final Spec:What Could Have Been, And Still Can

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The RPG Sector · Next Topic »
Add Reply