Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daily Drawings
Topic Started: Sep 5 2017, 10:17 AM (23,631 Views)
Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
I've been trying to practise drawing more, but laziness keep convincing me that I don't have the time for that. So I decided to do Daily Drawings, which means I do at least one drawing every day, no matter what it is. It doesn't need to be a masterpiece, it doesn't even need to be anything fancy. As long as I pick up the pencil and draw something for at least 5 minutes (though it usually ends up to be much longer), I have successfully practised some more.

So this thread is dedicated to everyone who wants to join in on the fun. There's only a few rules really:
1. Draw something every day. It doesn't matter what it is and it doesn't need to be good.
2. Don't cheat. Don't just draw a stickman on a day you don't feel like drawing. The purpose of the Daily Drawing is to practise. You don't gain much from putting two lines on paper. (Unless you're practising composition, in which case your practise will end up more elaborate.) Remember that you're doing this for you. Cheating in this is just screwing yourself over really.
3. This is not a challenge. You don't get anything from winning, aside from skill, which you only get by drawing and not bragging.
4. You don't need to post every day. When you're on a trip, just take a sketchbook with you and post the images when you're home again. Same when you don't have access to a computer or scanner every day.

I'll keep a list with all participants and their record of continuous drawing. Even though I have been drawing the last three days without missing a day, I'll start the count today, so everyone's on equal footing.

List of participants and their chains[1]:
  • CaledonianWarrior69
    Sept-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23
  • CryperVilla
    Sept-06-07-08--Oct-01
  • ÐK
    Sept-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-CHAINBREAK(12)-19--22--25--28--Oct-01-02--04
  • Dragonthunders
    Sept-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15--
  • DroidSyber
    Sept-11-12--
  • Ebervalius
    Sept-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-26
  • Flisch
    Sept-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-Oct-01-02-03-04-05-06-07
  • Gondwanian
    Sept-19-20-21-22
  • HangingThief
    Sept-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13--
  • Hybrid
    Sept-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18
  • OctoSharkTasaurus
    Sept-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-Oct-01-02-03-???(Need to sort this out later)-06-07
  • Parasky
    Sept-10-11--
  • Pewtromyzon
    Sept-11--
  • PortentosaMan
    Oct-02-03-04-05
  • Sheather
    Sept-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19
  • Skwidbox
    Sept-12-13-14
  • Steampunk Firefinch
    Sept-17--20
  • Talenkauen
    Sept-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-CHAINBREAK(11)-21-22--27--Oct-07
  • Troll Man
    Sept-10-11-12-13-14--
  • Troy Troodon
    Sept-07--09-10-11--13-14-15-16-17--22--24-25--28
  • Uncanny Gemstar
    Sept-11-12-13-14--
  • Vorsa
    Sept-08--

Hopefully, we'll get lots of people to participate. Criticism and advice is of course welcome. The point of this thread is to learn and get better.

But enough talking! Have fun drawing!
[1] Legend: The beginning of a month is indicated by the month's name. The following numbers indicate the day of the month. A chainbreak has the last chain's length in brackets, if the chain was noteworthy. Chains with only 5 days or so will not be marked, so as to not discourage people who participate only occasionally.)
Edited by Flisch, Oct 7 2017, 01:38 PM.
We have a discord. If you want to join, simply message me, Icthyander or Sphenodon.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Decided to keep my first batch of drawings separate from the first post, mostly so that they don't show up at the top of every page.

August 30th - Early Alien Organism

This is an animal I doodled while listening to a podcast. It reminds me of cambrian fauna and I thought it would be a great way to start my Daily Drawing chain. Additionally I practised colouring with pencils. Not happy with the results, but I'll try again in the future.

August 31th - Outdated T. rex with Fluff

With this one I started asking people in Discord what I should draw. Someone suggested a T-rex, but I decided to add a twist to it: While it has feathers on it, its pose and anatomy is outdated (horizontal spine, dragging tail). I'm not happy with the headfeathers, but oh well.

September 1st - Thylacosmilus

This one was a surprise to me. I didn't really like drawing mammals, but after this one I've found to enjoy it actually. I really like putting patterns on animals and I especially like the facial markings in this one. Wish I would have done the transition from dots to stripes better though.

September 4th - Sleeping Pakicetus

While the Thylacosmilus was more or less copied from a reference picture (sans fang sheaths and pattern) I only used reference pictures for Pakicetus to get the proportions right, but the pose was referenced using pictures of sleeping dogs. I kinda like this one, the pattern is subtle but makes it look interesting.

September 5th - Feeding Burgessia

Stellar made me draw a Burgessia. Initially I didn't want to draw multiple, but the Burgessia was a bit too simple, so I added more. I decided to turn it into a scene of Burgessia feeding on an Opabinia carcass. You can also see multiple growth stages of Burgessia. I figure the larval stage of Burgessia would be planktonic and as such I have them longer legs and tails.
We have a discord. If you want to join, simply message me, Icthyander or Sphenodon.

Sheather
Member Avatar

Day 1 ~ The Goodest Boy

Posted Image

Digital, Microsoft Paint + GIMP, 15 minutes, references used.
Posted Image
The Gaiaverse

| Eden | Terra Metropolis | Life of the Sylvan Islands |

Other Spec Evo

|Life on Oxymor| Sheatheria | Serina | The Last Dinosaur

A Wholesome and Good Thing

| Sam |

Troy Troodon
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
I like your Pakicetus.
I was benevolent and good, but misery made me a fiend!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

HangingThief
Member Avatar
ghoulish
Day 1: mating stick insects, drawn from life.

Posted Image
Hey.

Sheather
Member Avatar

That's a beautiful composition.
Posted Image
The Gaiaverse

Other Spec Evo

| Sam |

peashyjah
Member Avatar
Bydo
Can I participate in this, please?
Discontinued projects:
The New Ostracoderms (i might continue with this project again someday)
The Americas (where in 58 million years from now in the future North and South America has both become isolated island continents)

All Expansions (my attempt at expanding the universe of All Tomorrows by Nemo Ramjet aka C.M. Kosemen, started June 6, 2018)
Anthropozoic (my attempt at expanding the universe of Man After Man and also a re-imagining of it, coming 2019 or 2020)
New Cenozoica (my attempt at expanding the universe of The New Dinosaurs and also a re-imagining of it, also coming 2019 or 2020)
All Alternatives or All Changes (a re-telling of All Tomorrows but with some minor and major "changes", coming June 10, 2018)

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
peashyjah
Sep 5 2017, 06:55 PM
There is no signup process or limited slots for participants or anything. If you want to join, just draw something and post. It's that simple!

HangingThief
Member Avatar
ghoulish
Sheather
Sep 5 2017, 06:49 PM
That's a beautiful composition.
Thank you!

I find herbivorous insects sitting on sprigs of their hostplant to be a very pleasing aesthetic.
Hey.

IIGSY
Member Avatar
A huntsman spider that wastes time on the internet because it has nothing better to do
May join later.
Projects
Punga: A terraformed world with no vertebrates
Last one crawling: The last arthropod

ARTH-6810: A world without vertebrates (It's ded, but you can still read I guess)

Potential ideas-
Swamp world: A world covered in lakes, with the largest being caspian sized.
Nematozoic: After a mass extinction of ultimate proportions, a single species of nematode is the only surviving animal.
Tri-devonian: A devonian like ecosystem with holocene species on three different continents.

Quotes

Phylogeny of the arthropods and some related groups

In honor of the greatest clade of all time

More pictures

Other cool things

All African countries can fit into Brazil

peashyjah
Member Avatar
Bydo
Flisch
Sep 5 2017, 07:19 PM
peashyjah
Sep 5 2017, 06:55 PM
There is no signup process or limited slots for participants or anything. If you want to join, just draw something and post. It's that simple!
Alright!
Discontinued projects:
The New Ostracoderms (i might continue with this project again someday)
The Americas (where in 58 million years from now in the future North and South America has both become isolated island continents)

All Expansions (my attempt at expanding the universe of All Tomorrows by Nemo Ramjet aka C.M. Kosemen, started June 6, 2018)
Anthropozoic (my attempt at expanding the universe of Man After Man and also a re-imagining of it, coming 2019 or 2020)
New Cenozoica (my attempt at expanding the universe of The New Dinosaurs and also a re-imagining of it, also coming 2019 or 2020)
All Alternatives or All Changes (a re-telling of All Tomorrows but with some minor and major "changes", coming June 10, 2018)

opeFool
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Posted Image

Herbivore of Chal. I was going to do the pattern on its face for all the body, but then I realized how much it was. And I need to finish my homework so....

If needed I'll put it in a spoiler, I can't really get an accurate depiction from the editing screen.
Xipetotec | Mbio Bila Mshindi | Diarios California
Quotes
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
"There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars..."
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."
"My opinions are formed from a perfect blend of science and morality and as such I am an unassailable bastion of absolute truth. All opinions are subjective but mine are objectively the least subjective."

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Day 2

September 6th - Creepy Dudes

So today I wanted to practise some human anatomy, so I used this really nifty website here that gives me random poses for me to draw in a certain time frame. I picked 10 minutes, so it was a total of 20 minutes drawing practise today.

ÐK
Member Avatar
Adult
September 6th

I drewded a Lotosaurus, it's real neato.
~Projects~

Earth Without Earth; Like nothing on Earth...

Quote:

In the absence of proper data, speculate wildy.

~Mark Witton, Pterosaurs (Chapter 3, page 18)

Quote:

pfft, DK making a project

~Troll Man, Skype (15/2/15)

Quote:

I'm sorry but in what alternative universe would thousands of zebras be sent back in time by some sort of illegal time travel group to change history and preparing them by making gigantic working animatronic allosaurs?

~Komodo, Zebra's sent back in time (4/1/13)

Sheather
Member Avatar

Day 2 ~ Ringneck Dove

Posted Image

Microsoft Paint, 30 minutes, references used.
Posted Image
The Gaiaverse

Other Spec Evo

| Sam |

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Café Cosmique · Next Topic »
Add Reply