Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Flying animals and gravity?
Topic Started: Jul 5 2017, 08:40 AM (916 Views)
PortentosaMan
Member Avatar
Adolescent
What changes in wing size will happen when a planet have lower or higher gravity?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My first xenobiology project named Hodea
My deviantart
My Twitter account
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flisch
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Gravity is not really all that important for wing size (and body size in general). The bigger factor is atmospheric density. Remember, in a vacuum, a feather and a coin fall at the same speed.

Gravity is more important about lifting off and even more so for landing. Subsequently, gravity quite possibly influences how easy it is for large flying organisms to evolve flight. On a low grav world, animals of all sizes can take to the air quite comfortably (if atmospheric density is conductive for flight that is) while on high grav worlds, flight will likely be evolved by smaller insect-sized organisms which then radiate into larger niches. Technically, gravity affects how many groups of unrelated fliers exist, the spread of flight so to say, while atmospheric density moves the body size limit for flying organisms.

As an aside, passive drifting, like airborne seed dispersal and 'parachuting baby spiders' is not informed by gravity at all but solely by atmospheric density.
We have a discord. If you want to join, simply message me, Icthyander or Sphenodon.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LittleLazyLass
Member Avatar
Mod-Chan

I imagine it'd be wing anatomy rather than wing size that'd be different on alien planets. All groups of flying organisms have pretty radically different wings, and all evolved flight in different ways, so it'd be surprising if there wasn't even more diversity among alien wings.
totally not British, b-baka!
Posted Image You like me (Unlike)
I don't even really like this song that much but the title is pretty relatable sometimes, I guess.
Me
Important Stuff

Jörmungandr
Member Avatar
Adolescent
How can once take a guess at the right amount of wing needed to lift an animal up into the air?
Xipetotec | Mbio Bila Mshindi | Diarios California
Quotes
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
"There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars..."
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."
"My opinions are formed from a perfect blend of science and morality and as such I am an unassailable bastion of absolute truth. All opinions are subjective but mine are objectively the least subjective."

LittleLazyLass
Member Avatar
Mod-Chan

Math?
totally not British, b-baka!
Posted Image You like me (Unlike)
I don't even really like this song that much but the title is pretty relatable sometimes, I guess.
Me
Important Stuff

Jörmungandr
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Little
Jul 5 2017, 03:41 PM
Math?
Oh no... I was hoping there were and easier way. Welp, guess I'll have to do math
Xipetotec | Mbio Bila Mshindi | Diarios California
Quotes
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
"There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars..."
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."
"My opinions are formed from a perfect blend of science and morality and as such I am an unassailable bastion of absolute truth. All opinions are subjective but mine are objectively the least subjective."

Sigmund Nastrazzurro
Member Avatar
Curator, Institute of Furahan Biology
Perhaps I can help a bit. I once wrote a post on scaling animals and the effects on bone diameter. The effects of scaling on wing area are very similar and were worked out in the messages below the post.

http://planetfuraha.blogspot.nl/2010/06/scaling-or-size-matters-but-so-does.html

Essentially, if you increase the length, width and height of the body of your flying animal by a factor x, you should increase the wing by a larger factor: x to the power of 1.5. If you do that, the lift to weight ratio will be the same (not exactly because the wing increases in mass as wel, but never mind).

But your question was about changing gravity. Weight increases linearly with the gravity constant. So if you double gravity, you will double weight, and you will also have to double lift. There are various ways to do so:
- double atmospheric density
- make the animal fly faster
- change wing area: its has to double, so the length, width and height of the wing have to increase by the square root of 2, about 1.4

I hope this helps. I could write a proper post on the subject of flight, taking scaling, gravity and atmospheric density into consideration. should I?
"Never again, we vowed, would we let Natural History become a mere part of Human History" (Souren Nyoroge)
Visit the planet Furaha website and the corresponding blog

PortentosaMan
Member Avatar
Adolescent
[
Spoiler: click to toggle
]I think you should do it!
Edited by PortentosaMan, Aug 14 2017, 01:07 PM.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
My first xenobiology project named Hodea
My deviantart
My Twitter account
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Akurian452
Adult
@ Sigmund Nastrazzurro: Do the same rules apply to gliding animals as well?

Sigmund Nastrazzurro
Member Avatar
I had a day off, for once did not feel like painting, it was raining a lot and so I sat down and wrote a post on 'flying animals or the art of weight lifting'. It needs some editing, so I will post it in a day or two; there may be other posts on the subject in the future.
And yes, the rules apply to gliding animals too.
"Never again, we vowed, would we let Natural History become a mere part of Human History" (Souren Nyoroge)

Sigmund Nastrazzurro
Member Avatar
Done: http://planetfuraha.blogspot.nl/2017/08/flying-animals-or-true-weight-lifting.html

Empyreon
Member Avatar
Are you plausible?

A masterwork, as usual. :)
Take a look at my exobiology subforum of the planet Nereus!

COM Contributions

food for thought

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply