Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to Upload to Sagan 4 Wiki
Topic Started: Feb 21 2017, 03:32 AM (6,896 Views)
Hydromancerx
Member Avatar

Do you have no art skills? Do you know nothing about biology? Fear not, you can still help Sagan 4! You see we have a Wikipedia for Sagan 4 and it needs to be constantly updated with approved species. This is where you come in to help.

Step 1: PM me telling me you want to help so I know your not a spammer on Sagan 4 wiki.

Step 2: Register for an account on Sagan 4 wiki.

Step 3: Login to Sagan 4 Wiki

Step 4: Bring up another window with the Organism Submission section opened.

Step 5: Figure out what species need to be filled in by going to the Weeks section of Sagan 4 wiki.

Step 6: Look through the bottom list of weeks until you see no more thumbails of creatures with hyperlink names under them.

Step 7: Once you get to the week/generation that needs updating go back to the other window with the submissions section open. You should see locked threads saying "Week ## - Gen ##" sometimes even saying "--COMPLETE" at the end. If they are within those threads that means they have been approved.

Step 8: Go through them until you see a species that has not been uploaded to wiki yet.

Step 9: Right click on its picture and save it to your computer. The name doesn't matter but keep it its original format such as JPG or PNG. Remember what it was.

Step 10: Click on the hyperlink name of that generation that needs species. This should bring up a page with only that generation shown.

Step 11: Click the EDIT tab in the upper left. It should bring up a page full of code.

Step 12: Under the --> line put <gallery> </gallery> in the code if its not already there.

Step 13: If it is there or you put it in next you will need to put Image: between them. If it already has Image: lines the put it after the last one but before the </gallery>

Step 14: After Image: you will want to put the name of the species exactly how it is typed. If it has 2 names then leave a space. This is the common name and not the scientific name.

Step 15: Put a .png or .jpg after the name depending upon what file you saved to your computer in step 9.

Step 16: Put a | after .png or .jpg

Step 17: Put [[ after the |

Step 18: Type the name again after the [[ just like before but without the .png or .jpg at the end.

Step 19: After the name put ]]

Step 20: Press SAVE PAGE at the bottom left.

Step 21: You should now see a new white thumbnail box and text text saying the name of the species in the gallery for that week. If not you did something wrong and should inform me.

Step 22: Click on the white box.

Step 23: This should bring up a page saying "No file by this name exists, you can upload it." Click on the upload it hyperlink.

Step 24: This should bring up a page called "Upload file".

Step 25: Click on the browse button and find the file you saved.

Step 26: Don't chnage the Destination filename: and no need for a description.

Step 27: Press the upload file in the lower left. This may take awhile depending upon how big the image is. If it gives a warning about the file size being too big then say upload anyways.

Step 28: You should now have the picture uploaded and its thumbnail should show up in the week gallery. If not please let me know before going on.

Step 29: Go to Temperate Wizards.

Step 30: Click the top one that says "Auto create a new organism page here, type in the organism name and then fill in the fields."

Step 31: Type in the name exactly how it is written. Make sure its the common name and not the scientific name. If it has a ash name make sure the letter after the dash is uppercase. Such as "Big-Butt Baboon".

Step 32: Press the "Create Species" button next to the text field. This should bring up a page with alot of wiki code.

Step 33: Where it says "|name = {{subst:PAGENAME}}" Leave it alone. It will automaticlly name te species based on what you typed in the text box before making the page.

Step 34: Where it says "|week =" put in the week. This should be whatever week it says in the thread your species is found in.

Step 35: Where it says "|generation =" put in the generation . This should be whatever generation it says in the thread your species is found in.

Step 36: Where it says "|creator = " put in who made the species. Make sure its written exactly how they write it in the post.

Step 37: Where it says "|image = " type in the name exactly how you typed it before. And put .jpg or .png based upon what you saved it as in step 9.

Step 38: Where it says "|extant = " leave this blank unless the species is extinct already. If it is exinct put a 1 if not leave it blank.

Step 39: Where it says "|ancestor = " put the ancestor listed in the thread. Make sure it is spelled exactly so it can hyperlink correctly to that thread.

Step 40: Where it says "|size = "put the size listed in the thread. This should be 3 parts; a number, cm or m in lowercase (not typed out meters or centimeters) and in uppercase 1st letter Long, Tall, Wide, or Wingspan. Also it might just say "Microscopic" instead of the 3.

Step 41: Where it says "|habitat = " put in the name of the Biomes it lives in. Each biome needs a seperate field. Thus the 1st biome will be "|habitat =" while the 2nd is "|habitat2 =", the 3rd "|habitat3 =" and so on for as many biomes as is listed for that species. Make sure they are spelled right as well.

Step 42: Where it says "|diet = " put he diet listed in the thread. You will need to hyperlink any names of species it has such as if it says "Frugivore (Apple Tree fruits)" you would put [[ ]] around only the proper name such as "Frugivore ([[Apple Tree]] fruits)".

Step 43: Where it says "|reproduction=" put he reproduction listed in the thread.

Step 44: Now you will see fields like domain, kingdom, phylum, etc. In the genus and species part put the scientific names there. Make sure the1st letter in the genus is uppercase while the 1st letter of the species is lowercase.

Step 45: Leave a space under the }} but above the <!-- Don't edit below this line -->

Step 46: Paste all of the description between them leaving a buffer space at the top and bottom.

Step 47: Where the name of the species is 1st mentioned put 3 ' around them such as '''Big-Butt Baboon'''

Step 48: If it lists the name of a species or biome in the description put a [[ ]] around the name. This works for singe word names but might need some help if they are lowercase. if it is then put it in this form [[Big-Butt Baboon|big-butt baboon]]. The left side of the | is the page location while on the right side of the | is how the text will appear. If the same name is written again again only do it once per paragraph.

Step 49: Press the "Save Page button" in the lower left.

Step 50: You are done! You page should be made! If there are any red text or the image did not show up then you might have done something wrong. However sometime red text means the hyperlink has no page to go to yet. I will make sure to look them over. If it is you 1st time let me know you finished so i can check it over.

If you have any questions let me know! Either post them here or PM me about them.

[quote author=Kenotai link=topic=3144.msg38642#msg38642 date=1248477357]
[quote author=dacmat22 link=topic=3144.msg38641#msg38641 date=1248476312]
what do you do if a species has two ancestors?
[/quote]

|ancestorX = [[Ancestor 1]] <br> [[Ancestor 2]] [[category:Descendant of Ancestor 1]][[category:Descendant of Ancestor 2]]

and leave the normal ancestor part alone. And you put this after the normal ancestor row.
[/quote]

For easier uploading you can also use ...

Wiki Convertor by AnguaNatalia
Posted Image
"Sagan 4 is a wonderful experiment, not because it has the best art or the soundest biology, but because it is an actual working project where a team of speculative zoologists has derived an entire biosphere from a single hypothetical cell." - C.M. Kosemen
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nyarlathotep
Member Avatar
The Creeping Chaos
What is going on?

Hydromancerx
Member Avatar

Sagan 4 wiki is currently in transition trying to find a new place as well. We are trying to move it to Shout Wiki, but things are slow moving. Please be patient until the wiki has returned.
Posted Image
"Sagan 4 is a wonderful experiment, not because it has the best art or the soundest biology, but because it is an actual working project where a team of speculative zoologists has derived an entire biosphere from a single hypothetical cell." - C.M. Kosemen

Vaxirenan
Zygote
Hmm. And when, approximately, will have a working version of Sagan 4 wiki?
Edited by Vaxirenan, Feb 22 2017, 04:34 PM.

Hydromancerx
Member Avatar

Don't know yet. The wiki went down on Feb 9th. Found the Shout Wiki and set up a wiki location on the 10th. Contacted the admins there right after and then they replied back on the 12th. Then we sent them the requested stuff on the 13th and they have not responded since. I send another email asking what happened on the 18th, but still no reply.

If anyone has an idea for an alternative free wiki which allows for invite only editing then let me know.
Edited by Hydromancerx, Feb 22 2017, 05:07 PM.
Posted Image

mnidjm
Member Avatar
King of Mars
Any updates?

Vailnoff
Member Avatar
Adolescent
What version of mediawiki is the sagan 4 wiki? If there isn't any other option, I might be able to host it once I get a new computer.
Posted Image

Somarinoa
Member Avatar
Infant
I don't recall... what was our reason for not just setting up a regular Wikia site for it again?
Posted Image

Vailnoff
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Not Hydro bit from my experience of using wikia, it's hard to navigate, harder to format and anyone can edit it. Whenever. I try going on it, it slows my computer down, fills the screen with ads and generally crashes my browser. On the whole, I just thing that using it might give the project a worse name TBH.
Posted Image

Zorcuspine
Member Avatar
Go fast, but always remember to stop and smell the flowers

Whatever the reason we need to get the new wiki up soon; we can't really go forward without it.
Posted Image

Dragonthunders
Member Avatar
The ethereal archosaur in blue

Quote:

Not Hydro bit from my experience of using wikia, it's hard to navigate, harder to format and anyone can edit it.

As wikia user and admin, I can say that these things are easy to modify, you can go to administration (if people have the role of admin), go to features and there is the option "Require all contributors to log in", so it would make only the people that have account able to edit, even you can disable "Message Wall" to avoid spam in articles.

And if you guys doesn't like the wikia layout you can go to Preferences, below there is the option of Appearance, you can change the layout of wikia to MonoBook, the same layout that Sagan 4 wiki was using.

Projects

"Active" projects

The Future is Far
Welcome to the next chapters of the evolution of life on earth, travel the across the earth on a journey that goes beyond the limits, a billion years of future history in the making.

The SE giants project
Wonder what is the big of the big on speculative evolution? no problem, here is the answer

Coming one day
Age of Mankind
Humanity fate and its possible finals.

The Long Cosmic Journey
The history outside our world.

The alternative paths
The multiverse, the final frontier...

Holocene park: Welcome to the biggest adventure of the last 215 million years, where the age of mammals comes to life again!
Cambrian mars: An interesting experiment on an unprecedented scale, the life of a particular and important period in the history of our planet, the cambric life, has been transported to a terraformed and habitable mars in an alternative past.
Two different paths, two different worlds, but same life and same weirdness.

My deviantart

Vailnoff
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Thanks, I didn't actually know about that. However, is it possible to transport mediawiki pages and templates to it?
Posted Image

Hydromancerx
Member Avatar

For those that have not seen on the other forum, Vailnoff said ...

"At the moment, my computer isn't able to actually run mediawiki, so it'll be several months until I'm able to get a new one that will. In the meantime, are you sure the wiki can't be briefly brought back online to be updated? If that happened, then we might be able to have some luck with miraheze. But if that can't be done, I suppose we'll just have to cryogenically freeze sagan 4 for the next 2 months or so."

So that's the only plan we have for now. The wiki is in limbo.
Posted Image

mnidjm
Member Avatar
King of Mars
I could probably run it, but I have no experience with mediawiki

Zorcuspine
Member Avatar
Go fast, but always remember to stop and smell the flowers

Well I'll be ready to contribute when it returns, however long that takes.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Sagan 4 · Next Topic »
Add Reply