Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What would you like me to work on next?
Stalkers 1 (4.5%)
Draken 0 (0%)
Colonist lore 5 (22.7%)
Invertebrates 5 (22.7%)
Other vertebrates 4 (18.2%)
Plantlife 7 (31.8%)
Total Votes: 22
Ishtar, the golden gem of the skies; A tropical world of orange and yellow plants populated by animals without mouths.
Topic Started: Dec 7 2016, 08:18 AM (15,651 Views)
Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
Hello, wonderful people of the Speculative Evolution Forums!
I've been browsing this forum for years, and I finally decided to make an account, get my drawing tools out, and finally post some of my own content for you guys to rip to shreds!
So, without further ado, Ishtar.

map

The planet Ishtar orbits the F class star Anu at a distance of 2.4 AU. Ishtar is slightly more massive than earth, weighing in at 8.09e24 Kilograms in mass and 14131.50 Kilometers in Diameter, and as a result has a slightly higher gravity of 1.22 Gs. Ishtar is in good company as well: with two moons, Nabu and Nergal, and a ring (confirmed by colonizing scientists to be the results of a third moon).

CLICK for Nitty gritty details

Earth/Ishtar size comparison

Each day on Ishtar is approximately 37.8 hours, each year lasting 956.3 earth days (605.72 Ishtar days)

Ishtar's surface lies on a tectonically active core, providing enough shielding from it's parent star's immense radiation. Volcanoes and mountains pock-mark the surface, providing CO2 and methane greenhouse gasses, a result being the nearly tropical global climate (Average temperature is 23 degrees Celsius). Life on Ishtar evolved from echinoderm-like creatures, ranging from crab-like animals to thinly-skinned whale-analogs. All animals on Ishtar follow a few simple rules:
1- They lack a true mouth. Most animals posses exterior stomach sacks, a tongue like tendril, or an oral pore leading to a stomach.
2- Their eyesight is based on both visible and infra-red light, eyes containing cones capable for both. This allows them to spot prey and predators in low-light conditions, geysers and hot-spots in the cooler regions, and solar flares, a constant danger even with an immense magnetic sphere.

Plant life on Ishtar is earth-like at best and totally alien at... worst?
The plants of Ishtar can be categorized as orange, yellow, or "webroot" (essentially a fungus with a neural network).
Orange plants, or Avenavidae, are most common. ranging from trees with a keratin bark and tough, jerky-like flesh, to vegetable analogs hiding within the soil. All orange plants follow a similar body plan. Keratinous roots and bulbs/trunks/branches lead up to flaky but strong orange leaves (Think aluminium foil), each tip terminating in a heatsink. Offspring are grown from the intertwining of specialized root structures containing sperm and eggs. This results in orange-plant "family" clusters, growing in the hundreds but contained in a small amount of space.

Yellow plants, or Quaesitduoids, are also very populous, perhaps more so than orange plants. They evolved from Orange plants, but have inhibited genes from fungal parasites, now acting as bark. Yellow plants follow a similar body plan as orange plants. A fleshy root base with mycelia-like roots leads to a tough and durable trunk, covered in lichen-like bark, which not only serve to protect the individual, but help produce sugars from leaf litter and dead bodies. Again, offspring are born from intertwining root structures, which exchange DNA and then produce spore-pods (fruits!) on the tip of some branches. This is where yellow plants diverge. Some yellow plants produce a singular spore in a larger, fleshy and sugar filled fruit, edible and rich in protein (These are a native delicacy to colonists). Those that grow on carcasses and dead materials, however, shoot out hundreds of thousands of spores hoping to land on another host. Some of these plants have exhibited the creation of nitric acids in their fruits to prevent predators from eating them or their carcass. The widow’s tears or Moriens Lacrimae, produces it in such vicious amounts as it drips with the substance- looking like the tears of a grieving woman. Instead of being sprayed like most yellow plants do, the Widow’s lets it drip into pools around the carcass, preventing scavengers from stealing their food source.

Webroots, or Radidesuperids, are, for lack of a better term, mushrooms. The webroot is comprised of 3 central parts. The bulbous fat storage body, hidden underground; the plump fruit-like spore pod above ground, and the webs themselves. These webs spread for miles on end, scanning and probing the landscape in search of nutrients, food, and water. Upon reaching one or more of these, advanced chemical signals are sent to the rest of the fungi, which begin to congregate towards the location. The mycelia that reaches these points will begin to build fat storage and “mate”, producing more reproductive spore pods.
Webroots are extremely diverse, creating vast arrays of patterned and colored mycelial growths spanning for even vaster amounts of land. Almost 90% of Ishtar land area is saturated by webroots of some variety, however Quaesitduoids and Avenavis are able to coexist with them, provided ample shade and detritus from fallen leaves.
Their fat storage bulbs are a favorite meal of many dwellers of the forest floor.

Table of contents

Thanks for the help, guys

Edited by Skwidbox, Mar 18 2018, 07:42 PM.
If you like the colors yellow and orange, check out my xenobiology project, Ishtar!
Try not to get stung by the frogs.

Do not open!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dakka!
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Welcome! I myself have only recently joined. You are a bit aggressive on first impression. Perhaps it's the "crush you guys" phrase. Just kidding, hope to see more here.
"I was a Psychiatrist in Florida! For 3 weeks! Have you ever been to Florida?"

Some project ideas
The Future is Right
Ediacaran Explosion
Great Old Ones
Skinkworld

Unrelated:The Final Spec:What Could Have Been, And Still Can

Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
W.C.K.D
Dec 7 2016, 08:26 AM
Welcome! I myself have only recently joined. You are a bit aggressive on first impression. Perhaps it's the "crush you guys" phrase. Just kidding, hope to see more here.
Thanks for the warm welcome! I, too, can't wait to post some more work here soon!
If you like the colors yellow and orange, check out my xenobiology project, Ishtar!

Do not open!

Sceynyos-yos
Member Avatar
dheubewes wedor
Quote:

The planet Ishtar orbits the F class star Anu at a distance comparable to Jupiter. Ishtar is slightly more massive, weighing in at 1.62 * 1024 Kilograms in mass and 4131.50 Kilometers in Diameter, and as a result has a slightly higher gravity of 1.102 Gs. Ishtar is in good company as well: with two moons, Nabu and Nergal, and a ring (confirmed by colonizing scientists to be the results of a third moon).

Ishtar's surface lies on a tectonically active core, providing enough shielding from it's parent star's immense radiation. Volcanoes and mountains pock-mark the surface, providing CO2 and methane greenhouse gasses, a result being the nearly tropical global climate (Average temperature is 21 degrees Celsius).

Honestly I'm confused by all of this:
-Your second sentence implies that Ishtar is slightly more massive than Jupiter, but is both less massive and smaller than Earth - 6×10²⁴ kg and 6,360 km radius respectively.
-While it's possible for such a small planet to have a ring, mind that rings likely don't last long around smaller planets, due to lesser gravity and solar wind. We're not even sure how long they last around gas giants. So it's perhaps just for the specific timeframe of the description of the project. Still to revise the one on my project.
-At distance comparable to Jupiter stellar radiation is not much of an issue (are F class stars really that much more radiant?). Radiation balance, however, is. Average temperature on Jupiter is around some -110 ᵒC, so Ishar would have to have a lot of greenhouse gases to maintain that average temperature, likely more than Venus.
-Just a nitpick - if they aren't autotrophs, plants probably isn't the best term for the webroots. Like you said, they are, for lack of a better term, mushrooms.
-Some of the concepts are interesting. For one, though I'd image that not before long the thinly-covered stomach-unit would invaginate and become mouths - how hasn't this happened yet? Anyway, can't comment more before seeing more.

edit: and keep in mind that F class stars are shorter lived, giving you less time for the natural history of Ishar.
Edited by Sceynyos-yos, Dec 7 2016, 08:52 AM.

Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
Sceynyos-yis
Dec 7 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote:

The planet Ishtar orbits the F class star Anu at a distance comparable to Jupiter. Ishtar is slightly more massive, weighing in at 1.62 * 1024 Kilograms in mass and 4131.50 Kilometers in Diameter, and as a result has a slightly higher gravity of 1.102 Gs. Ishtar is in good company as well: with two moons, Nabu and Nergal, and a ring (confirmed by colonizing scientists to be the results of a third moon).

Ishtar's surface lies on a tectonically active core, providing enough shielding from it's parent star's immense radiation. Volcanoes and mountains pock-mark the surface, providing CO2 and methane greenhouse gasses, a result being the nearly tropical global climate (Average temperature is 21 degrees Celsius).

Honestly I'm confused by all of this:
-Your second sentence implies that Ishtar is slightly more massive than Jupiter, but is both less massive and smaller than Earth - 6×10²⁴ kg and 6,360 km radius respectively.
-While it's possible for such a small planet to have a ring, mind that rings likely don't last long around smaller planets, due to lesser gravity and solar wind. We're not even sure how long they last around gas giants. So it's perhaps just for the specific timeframe of the description of the project. Still to revise the one on my project.
-At distance comparable to Jupiter stellar radiation is not much of an issue (are F class stars really that much more radiant?). Radiation balance, however, is. Average temperature on Jupiter is around some -110 ᵒC, so Ishar would have to have a lot of greenhouse gases to maintain that average temperature, likely more than Venus.
-Just a nitpick - if they aren't autotrophs, plants probably isn't the best term for the webroots. Like you said, they are, for lack of a better term, mushrooms.
-Some of the concepts are interesting. For one, though I'd image that not before long the thinly-covered stomach-unit would invaginate and become mouths - how hasn't this happened yet? Anyway, can't comment more before seeing more.

edit: and keep in mind that F class stars are shorter lived, giving you less time for the natural history of Ishar.
My mistake, I wanted to say more massive than Earth, and even then I realize I must have screwed up the measurements, as earth's mass is 5.972 × 10^24 kg. I'll make some edits, quickly!

The ring was supposed to be young, as it's third unnamed moon has only recently disintegrated due to tidal forces.

Ishtar was supposed to have an earth like atmosphere as the models I used to find habitable-zone ranges dictated that an orbit at similar distance to Jupiter would be necessary for habitability. If I'm mistaken, please let me know! after all, I'm not a planetary scientist... yet :p

I'd like to say the reason I labelled them plants was because Ishtaran colonists commonly mistake their flower like structure as plants, but in reality I just screwed that one up.

While proper mouths have not evolved, many species, especially terrestrial ones, have formed jaws and ossified beaks to cover the stomach.

I'm aware that an F-Class star is shortly lived, i'll try to factor that into the equation when I start going into depth with it's natural history as well as the history of our brave colonists.

Thanks for the feedback, I truly do appreciate it!

Do not open!

SemiCylinder
Member Avatar
Mildly successful
Welcome to the forums! Your project is very interesting! I hope to see more.

A word of advice; don't take criticism personally. People on this site can be VERY blunt, but they really do only criticize to be helpful. It's pretty much never because they're trying to shoot your project down. Nobody is going to point out flaws in something they don't care about here.

Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
SemiCylinder
Dec 7 2016, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the forums! Your project is very interesting! I hope to see more.

A word of advice; don't take criticism personally. People on this site can be VERY blunt, but they really do only criticize to be helpful. It's pretty much never because they're trying to shoot your project down. Nobody is going to point out flaws in something they don't care about here.
Oh, trust me, I'm aware XD
I'm just happy people are willing to help me build a better project. Thanks for the kind words!

Do not open!

Empyreon
Member Avatar
Are you plausible?

Edit: I started this response earlier this morning and only just now got back to it. If you've already addressed some of the things I comment on, I apologize.

Welcome to the forum, skwidbox! I hope this place will be as helpful to you as it was to me so many moons ago.

You asked for us to rip it to shreds, so here goes my constructive criticism:

I had the same question that Sceynyos-yis did about Ishtar's planetary nature. I'm assuming it's slightly more massive than Earth, but that detail certainly wasn't clear.

Also, the point about rings around smaller planets being geologically shortlived should be a point of consideration and research for you in order to maintain plausibility. Note that this doesn't mean you should just remove the moon, but that you should determine its plausibility and let that inform your decision to include it.

It's speculatively dangerous to say "All animals on..." in any project. You can end up pigeon-holing yourself, or forcing evolutionary development into a predetermined shape, at the expense of truly novel ideas. You have a very interesting starting point, and you should let your imagination take it in several directions. Clades may develop without needing mouths at all, but others may, because of unique evolutionary pressures, develop "mouths" quite different from our own, or some other development unlike what we see in large scales on Earth (like Darwin IV's liquivores.

What is causing the inclusion of infrared vision to be so universal?

I look forward to seeing in more detail how you subvert/straddle the whole plant/animal dichotomy. Looks exciting!
Edited by Empyreon, Dec 7 2016, 03:29 PM.
Take a look at my exobiology subforum of the planet Nereus!

COM Contributions

food for thought

SemiCylinder
Member Avatar
Mildly successful
May I recommend getting creative with your day/night cycle? I find most people stick within 20-30 hour periods for days, but when I made my project have incredibly long days, it opened up unique windows for creature design. You could choose an unconventional day length, maybe extra short or extra long, if you so chose.

If I may go out on a limb and suggest something of that nature.

Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
SemiCylinder
Dec 7 2016, 04:48 PM
May I recommend getting creative with your day/night cycle? I find most people stick within 20-30 hour periods for days, but when I made my project have incredibly long days, it opened up unique windows for creature design. You could choose an unconventional day length, maybe extra short or extra long, if you so chose.

If I may go out on a limb and suggest something of that nature.
Well, seeing as Ishtar is about a Mars distance away from a high-mass star, i don't see why not! obviously day/night cycles would be altered by the vastly different forces enacting upon it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll find time to factor it in.

Do not open!

Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
The Biomes of Ishtar are wonderfully varied for a warm, tropical world. Jungle and forest takes up much of the land area of Ishtar, however deserts, tundra, and glaciers do exist towards the far northern and southern hemispheres. In this post I will list and describe each biome in order to:
1- Help you get a general feel of Ishtar's climate ecosystems
2- Help me better understand how and where life should evolve to meet the challenges set by each ecosystem
3- Hopefully allow for me to design and draw some panoramas in later posts.
Without further ado, The biomes of Ishtar.

Jungle:
Ishtar’s most prominent biome as well as its most diverse. Characterized by high temperatures and yearly monsoons,the jungles spend much of the year flooded at ground level. The soggy soils allow Quaesitduoids (Yellow plants) to thrive on dead leaves and particulate matter from corpses. Most animal life is arboreal, living in the upper canopies to avoid drowning, however some life makes their way down to the forest floor during the dry winters to graze and lay eggs, buried to avoid getting eaten.

Savannah:
Found on the outskirts of jungles and desert alike, the Savannah is characterized by dry weather and vast plains. Yellow plants are rare as their fungal bodies cannot supply enough sugars to maintain the body, however some species of motile varieties can migrate through without issue. Orange plants reign supreme here, growing in long stalks and occasional short trees. Animal life here must tough hot summers without rain, gaining fluids from rare streams. In extreme droughts, some life may need to double their feeding habits to ingest blood or sugary webroots.

Desert:
The deserts of Ishtar are small but deadly. Although they are cool by desert standards (22.81 degrees celsius), they are still very arid. The only plant life here are comprised of small bushes of orange plants with plump, water storing bulbs or cave-dwelling yellow plants. Animal life has retorted to subterranean and nocturnal life, coming out during the night to scavenge food and mate. many Predatory animals here contain yellow plant spores in an act of commensalism. when prey is killed, it leaves a corpse for the yellow plants to grow on, reaching full size in the night and releasing airborne spores to be accidentally peppered onto other predators.

Temperate forest:
The temperate forests of Ishtar are actually quite tropical. Due to solid amounts of rainfall and adequate sunlight, summers are warm and wet. Yellow algae bogs make sugary pools for orange plants to thrive on, and their corpses feed the algae, creating a feedback loop. In dryer areas, orange plants reach up to the sky to get as much sun as possible, leaving smaller yellow plants and black lichen to pick up debris from the earth. During winter, however, rain increases and temperature drops, leaving foggy and chilly forests behind. Animal life either migrates or hibernates to outlast the winter.

Tropics:
The primary biome of the Tempest Isles and most small islands on Ishtar. On earth, tropics are easy to identify by the tall palm trees and dense under story. However, due to hurricanes from the sea of storms, most plant life grows as ground cover. Yellow plants survive the salty waters of the beach, relying on specialized fungal bodies that desalinate ocean water and beached corpses to thrive. Yellow algae tints the seas a washed out gold. Orange plants usually grow as tall grasses and bushes, but some thick-stemmed trees are able to survive the storms.

Yellow Algae Shallows:
Shallow waters around all landmasses are populated by thick “reefs” of yellow algae mats. The algae has developed calcified shells to protect from over salinity, allowing them to grow to large sizes and in elaborate shapes. Orange plants like the sea fan and ocean feather populate the brighter zones, while the yellow algae takes residence in the deeper waters and along the shores as much as possible. Many aquatic animals take residence inside the empty shells of dead algae, providing safety from larger predators as well as sea draken.

Open sea:
The open seas are still shallower than on earth, ranging from 2-3 kilometers on average. Only near trenches and meridian waters does the ocean exceed 20 kilometers.. Yellow plants make up the plant life of the sea floor, feeding off detritus and the like that happen to float from the surface. Orange “buoys” occasionally dot the water surface using specialized roots to steer and absorb nutrients. These are eaten by small ocean animals who also hide within its roots as a parasitic relationship. Large aquatic predators shoot from the depths to snag any prey unlucky enough to be in their sight, while Aerial animals rest on buoys to feed -- if they can catch them.

Trench:
Trenches in the sea of storms lay near almost every island chain within it. Life in these trenches rely on geothermal energy less than on Earth, as the frequent hurricanes wash in plenty of detritus and corpses from shallower water. Trenches can reach up to 54 kilometers in depth. Yellow algae plant life almost wholly populate this region, with animal life adapted to extreme pressures and hot temperatures.

Tundra:
The southern reaches of Ishtar are where it starts to cool down. On the edges of temperate forests lay ravines and flats of soggy mud, full of enriching yellow and orange alga, leading to a crisp orange coloration. Short stalks of orange plants occasionally peek out during the spring and summer, but these stalks retreat when snowfall arrives. Yellow plants seem devoid at first, but it doesn’t take much to find a bulb colony beneath the ground as they produce a bubble of CO2 and heat to thrive in. Life here must be aerial or very careful or else they will drown in the mud.

Permafrost plains:
Eventually the mud of the tundra becomes hardened with ice and permafrost, leading to large white plains that span hundreds of miles. The plants that exist here are strikingly red, as to absorb the most sunlight from the dim environment, but are technically classified as orange plants. Yellow plants take the form of lichen-like growths on dead plants and animals. Life here has grown to be stocky and fat-filled in order to survive the cold. Migration isn’t an option for terrestrial life due to the dangers of the tundra for heavy animals, and as such they have boomed in variety as they are reproductively isolated.

Glaciers:
The glaciers of Ishtar are a melancholy sight at best. Almost total darkness year round, lack of surface level plant life, and dangerously powerful ice storms during monsoon season. Life here takes two extremes: either very small or very large. Smaller life moves at a near snail’s pace in order to conserve energy, and usually burrows into the glaciers to preserve heat, whereas larger lifeforms huddle for warmth around hot spots or geysers.

Apologies for the wall of text!
I hope this helps you as much as it's going to help me design this strange world.

P.S.: I'm currently working on the aquatic denizens of Ishtar's global ocean, the Mare Tempestatum, or sea of storms. I got the scanner working, so expect diagrams soon!

Do not open!

Rodlox
Superhuman
skwidbox
Dec 8 2016, 08:41 AM
Glaciers:
The glaciers of Ishtar are a melancholy sight at best. Almost total darkness year round, lack of surface level plant life, and dangerously powerful ice storms during monsoon season. Life here takes two extremes: either very small or very large. Smaller life moves at a near snail’s pace in order to conserve energy, and usually burrows into the glaciers to preserve heat, whereas larger lifeforms huddle for warmth around hot spots or geysers.
tiny critters tend to fall into hibernation quickly and as often as need be, yes?

Quote:

no need to apologize; for one thing, that's not a wall of text...if your post had been the same size, and was a single paragraph without paragraph breaks or anything like that, that's a wall.

you're doing quite nicely thus far; looking forward to more from you.

Quote:

I hope this helps you as much as it's going to help me design this strange world.

always good and helpful to have a starting point and reference.
.---------------------------------------------.
Parts of the Cluster Worlds:
"Marsupialless Australia" (what-if) & "Out on a Branch" (future evolution) & "The Earth under a still sun" (WIP)

Sceynyos-yos
Member Avatar
dheubewes wedor
Is it Ishar or Ishtar?

Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
Sceynyos-yis
Dec 8 2016, 11:27 AM
Is it Ishar or Ishtar?
It's Ishtar, I just made a typo in the title... pretty embarrassing
Edited by Skwidbox, Dec 8 2016, 12:02 PM.

Do not open!

Skwidbox
Member Avatar
Cozy in cardboard
Rodlox
Dec 8 2016, 10:54 AM
skwidbox
Dec 8 2016, 08:41 AM
Glaciers:
tiny critters tend to fall into hibernation quickly and as often as need be, yes?

Quote:

no need to apologize; for one thing, that's not a wall of text...if your post had been the same size, and was a single paragraph without paragraph breaks or anything like that, that's a wall.

you're doing quite nicely thus far; looking forward to more from you.

Quote:

always good and helpful to have a starting point and reference.
Yeah, smaller animals are only active during the brief polar summer. Otherwise they protect themselves with a coating of specialized saliva and dirt while they hibernate.

Do not open!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply