Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Questions that don't need their own topics; order to save topics
Topic Started: Jul 28 2014, 03:13 PM (122,556 Views)
Dragonthunders
Member Avatar
The ethereal archosaur in blue

well, new and old members, I put this so it does not arising filler issues that can be addressed of a single answer. this is to avoid topics that do not lead to any discussion.
some things should not write:

-Comments which are neither question nor answer.
-sarcastic answers
-repeat questions already answered
Edited by Dragonthunders, Jul 29 2014, 11:56 AM.
Projects

"Active" projects

The Future is Far
Welcome to the next chapters of the evolution of life on earth, travel the across the earth on a journey that goes beyond the limits, a billion years of future history in the making.

The SE giants project
Wonder what is the big of the big on speculative evolution? no problem, here is the answer

Coming one day
Age of Mankind
Humanity fate and its possible finals.

The Long Cosmic Journey
The history outside our world.

The alternative paths
The multiverse, the final frontier...

Holocene park: Welcome to the biggest adventure of the last 215 million years, where the age of mammals comes to life again!
Cambrian mars: An interesting experiment on an unprecedented scale, the life of a particular and important period in the history of our planet, the cambric life, has been transported to a terraformed and habitable mars in an alternative past.
Two different paths, two different worlds, but same life and same weirdness.

My deviantart

Offline Profile Goto Top

malicious-monkey
Member Avatar
Spec Ops
Good idea. I wonder how many will actually use it though.
"My recommendation would be to just draw things now and draw good things later." - Nanotyranus

Ilion: an illustrated tour of a tidally locked planet
Spoiler: click to toggle

malicious-monkey.deviantart.com
sunriseonilion.wordpress.com
supermalmoworld.tumblr.com
Redbubble - Ilion art prints and more
Commissions are OPEN
Offline Profile Goto Top

Holben
Member Avatar
Rumbo a la Victoria

Topic pinned. Would "Questions that don't need their own topics" be a better title?
Time flows like a river. Which is to say, downhill. We can tell this because everything is going downhill rapidly. It would seem prudent to be somewhere else when we reach the sea.

"It is the old wound my king. It has never healed."
Online Profile Goto Top

Dragonthunders
Member Avatar

edited, now, who wants to ask a question related to speculative evolution, do it here
Projects

"Active" projects

The Future is Far
Welcome to the next chapters of the evolution of life on earth, travel the across the earth on a journey that goes beyond the limits, a billion years of future history in the making.

The SE giants project
Wonder what is the big of the big on speculative evolution? no problem, here is the answer

Coming one day
Age of Mankind

The Long Cosmic Journey

The alternative paths

Holocene park: Welcome to the biggest adventure of the last 215 million years, where the age of mammals comes to life again!
Cambrian mars: An interesting experiment on an unprecedented scale, the life of a particular and important period in the history of our planet, the cambric life, has been transported to a terraformed and habitable mars in an alternative past.

My deviantart

Offline Profile Goto Top

Zorcuspine
Member Avatar
Go fast, but always remember to stop and smell the flowers

How long will the Hawaiian islands last?
Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Dragonthunders
Member Avatar

Zorcuspine
Jul 28 2014, 07:19 PM
How long will the Hawaiian islands last?
Around a few million years before being eroded. The hotspot will last tens of millions of years.

Well, who wants to answer the question that is written must only press the "quote" button, then type your answer and go.
Projects

"Active" projects

The Future is Far

The SE giants project

Coming one day
Age of Mankind

The Long Cosmic Journey

The alternative paths

My deviantart

Offline Profile Goto Top

Caimännir
Member Avatar
Lobe-finned fish
Are tunicates considered chordates? I heard that their larvae have a notochord.
I can't think of any halloween caiman puns
Offline Profile Goto Top

Holben
Member Avatar
Rumbo a la Victoria

SuperCaiman
Jul 29 2014, 06:07 AM
Currently, they are usually considered chordates.

This may not be the whole story. They may be of hybrid origin.
Time flows like a river. Which is to say, downhill. We can tell this because everything is going downhill rapidly. It would seem prudent to be somewhere else when we reach the sea.

Online Profile Goto Top

LittleLazyLass
Member Avatar
Mod-Chan

Tunicates just got significantly more interesting.
totally not British, b-baka!
Posted Image You like me (Unlike)
I don't even really like this song that much but the title is pretty relatable sometimes, I guess.
Me
Important Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

Heteromorph
Member Avatar
King of Borea
Holben
Jul 29 2014, 06:32 AM
SuperCaiman
Jul 29 2014, 06:07 AM
Currently, they are usually considered chordates.

Wow.

Kind of a philosophical question here. I tend to use an "if it has only evolved once, don't count on it evolving again. If it has evolved twice, why not a third time?" rule. Is this reasonable? After all, before varanids developed a circulatory lung, it would have seemed like the sort of thing that was so unlikely as to only evolve once.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LittleLazyLass
Member Avatar
Mod-Chan

Might depend on how recent said feature evolved.
totally not British, b-baka!
Posted Image You like me (Unlike)
I don't even really like this song that much but the title is pretty relatable sometimes, I guess.
Me
Important Stuff
Offline Profile Goto Top

Holben
Member Avatar
Rumbo a la Victoria

Heteromorph
Jul 29 2014, 12:01 PM
Kind of a philosophical question here. I tend to use an "if it has only evolved once, don't count on it evolving again. If it has evolved twice, why not a third time?" rule. Is this reasonable? After all, before varanids developed a circulatory lung, it would have seemed like the sort of thing that was so unlikely as to only evolve once.
In terms of making it sound believable, there are certainly benefits in choosing (relatively) repeatedly arisen features. Personally I would expect at least some "freak" features to have arisen, but it is probably a matter of balance and the intended audience.

The optimal solution, in my opinion, is just to create an evolutionary history which would logically produce the phenomenon.

Online Profile Goto Top

malicious-monkey
Member Avatar
Spec Ops
Holben
Jul 29 2014, 01:02 PM
Heteromorph
Jul 29 2014, 12:01 PM
In terms of making it sound believable, there are certainly benefits in choosing (relatively) repeatedly arisen features. Personally I would expect at least some "freak" features to have arisen, but it is probably a matter of balance and the intended audience.

The optimal solution, in my opinion, is just to create an evolutionary history which would logically produce the phenomenon.

I use that as a rule of thumb too. And to keep things interesting I sometimes introduce "freak" features that haven't arisen on Earth. In other words, if it evolved only once, too bad. If it evolved zero times, go for it. Stuff that evolves multiple times is sort of the staple of the meal, while novel features are the spice.

Holben
Jul 29 2014, 06:32 AM

You did what with a protostome?!

"My recommendation would be to just draw things now and draw good things later." - Nanotyranus

Ilion: an illustrated tour of a tidally locked planet
Spoiler: click to toggle

malicious-monkey.deviantart.com
sunriseonilion.wordpress.com
supermalmoworld.tumblr.com
Redbubble - Ilion art prints and more
Commissions are OPEN
Offline Profile Goto Top

Caimännir
Member Avatar
Lobe-finned fish
Admantus
Jul 28 2014, 04:13 PM
Life uh, finds a way..
Offline Profile Goto Top

Caimännir
Member Avatar
Lobe-finned fish
Mmkay. So... er...
Why are cats generally considered a separate species, while dogs generally aren't?
I know it's partially because dogs... um... occasionally procreate with wolves, but do cats do the same thing with wild cats? Besides, dogs differ much more in phenotype.
Edited by Caimännir, Jul 29 2014, 08:49 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Museum of Speculative Biology · Next Topic »
Locked Topic