Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Theatre of Orion's Arm; the stage is set.....
Topic Started: Apr 29 2012, 05:42 AM (593 Views)
Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
In honour of my 1000 post, I have finally plucked up the courage to start writing about my project, Orion's Arm. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.

According to my calculations it is roughly the year 3380 in the old human’s calendar. 1430 years since the conquering of Earth and the enslavement of the old humanity by the Yumeko Empire. What a universe we were introduced to, filled with star spanning empires and god like beings. We were but newcomers in this interstellar setting, in which scenes of violence, war and peace played on. The new humanity would have nothing more than background importance in this epic piece, but what a part. Welcome, to the theatre of Orion’s Arm.

Factions, Empires and Alliances.
In this bustling part of the galaxy, numerous races have, over time, collected, or been subjected into, various star-spanning states. Here are the current known ones:

-Yumeko Empire
Founded by the Yumeko, plausible the most powerful and technologically advanced race in the known galaxy, they have grown a gigantic empire through the conquering of technologically primitive races. They achieve locating them in the vastness of space by searching for the signals left behind by bases built by the forefathers (which we will be seeing in further detail later) who visited these planets deep in the past. If the race puts up a valiant enough fight, they are enlisted in the Empire’s vast military ranks and their planet's raw materials used for the production of gigantic interstellar battleships. These subdued races are also forced to war on other more primitive races, and so forth. Thus, a sort of modern feudalism has formed between the conquering and conquered. But a conquered race does not suffer a completely one way use. The Yumeko grant them some of their impressive technology, raising the once primitive race to the standards of any other star going species. But, when another advanced race is met, the battle tends to be more costly, for both sides. The tactics used by the Yumeko are most effective when used against those who are considerable technologically backwards compared to them. But when both sides draw the big guns, the other side has something of a chance. This has kept the Yumeko at bay, for now. Currently, the races that have been integrated into the Empire are these: Snefuss, Siln, Humans, Okahon, Usoi and the Kinshoius. In recent history, the Minrikians where wrestled from their grasp.

-InterSteller Alliance for Spacefaring Races
The mighty but generally peaceful Orinians founded this alliance, first as a general alliance between them and the Thalians. As more and more races came into contact, the alliance become something similar to the UN back on the old Earth. Soon, inside borders disappeared, and the alliance become something more. The capital for the place is a gigantic space habitat situated above Orinius, the home planet of the Orinians. Most of the races here are space faring ones but some fleeing the more oppressive factions, whether space faring or enlightened, have found their place here. Obviously though, there have been scams and secrets, but these are few. The Orinans, Ophilius, Yureo, Thalians and the Shanglaur make up the original that joined. Various Humans, Okahon and Kinshoius fled from the Yumeko Empire to found their own community. The Minrikians where wrestled from the Empire in a brutal war. Why the ISASR decided to interfere with this case but not save other races is unknown. The Bandako were uncontent with the ISASR and left to the AFR, probably due to the fact that they aren’t as willing in leasing more advanced technology to the primitive peoples. In fact, some people say they try to keep them under their boot for as long as possible.

-Nu-Kan Empire
These people weren’t as content with intergrating other sophonts into their domains as other, and are viewed as an xenophobic and warmongering people, which isn’t really that far from the truth. They have slowly built up a decent sized empire for themselves, which they jealously guard. When the Yumeko Empire tried to seize them, they put up an impressive fight. Though, it was the actions of the ISASR that kept them safe, for is the Yumeko Empire had defeated the Nu-Kans, they would have acquired a pincer border around the ISASR, putting them at risk. After the war, the Nu-Kans were presented a chance to join them, but they declined. They did though acquire a new found respect between them, which meant the ISASR could now lease the forces placed on their borders and move them to the Yumeko borders.

-Snith Federation
Little is known about this secretive group. They hold onto a medium sized piece of space on the far side of the ISASR and they do not allow intruders of any kind. Their capital planet is also their home planet but its coordinated are classified. A while ago though, they leased information that they had discovered a water planet with a two sophont species living on it, the Foskosmians and the Oplanerou, both very primitive. It is not known what they are doing with them.

-Alliance of Free Races
This coalition was formed originally when the Snefu started a short, bloody civil war on the Yumeko Empire. As the Snefu kept snuffing out Yumeko colonies with their vicious tactics, they finally decided to give them independence. Obviously, only a small proportion opted for independence, the bonuses of being part of the Empire where actually many and becoming independent would mean the Yumeko would once again become their enimies. Or at least, if not them, someone else. Shortly after independence, the Malastaharians queered for an alliance. This new race had recently had first contact and had been thrown into quite a bloodthirsty and dangerous galaxy. Plus the fact that they had gained quite a reputation due to their nasty customs. The Malastaharians needed a friend. And so did the Snefu. After this, it went a similar way as the ISASR, except holding the basics of independence, freedom and comradeship high. Nearly of the Yumeko Empire's members has a decent bit of their population living in the AFR: The humans, Okahon, Kinshoius and the Usoi. The Bandako have also officially joined after the oppressive reign of the ISASR over their people.

Species.
In the are of Orion's Spur, there are 20 or so known species that have been discovered by the Galactic Community.

-Yumeko
This secretive race with a history that stretches millions of years into the past, into the time of the forefathers. Few people know what they look like exactly, and even fewer people have met them in person. They have engineered themselves for zero-gravity conditions. They resemble massive bulbous worms from which extend various tentacle like organs. It is believed they communicate through telepathy, though this is not confirmed. Despite living almost entirely in space habitats, they have built a huge empire of planet systems. The reasons of this empire-building is obscure but it seems related to the need for raw materials, a land based military and their religious perceptions of the forefathers, who visited them some time in their history. The way they find the planets (which are mostly inhabited planets some time during their industrial period) is by seeking the signals left by forefather bases. Which is horrible ironic. It is thought that the Yumeko where the first race visited by the Forefathers. Seeing them as a suitable heir, they left bases on the moons of inhabited planets made to activate when they where able to communicate with. But, when the forefathers left the Yumeko, their civilisations that had been raised by the god like visitors collapsed. Some studies say the dark ages continued for almost 100 000 years. When they returned to power, the Forefathers technological gifts and lessons where twisted by fanatical religious misconceptions. And so, they set out to conquer the galaxy....
Luckily, with the rising on the ISASR, there once seemingly unlimitless power was leashed, securing the liberty of billions of people. But, I must admit, it is a thin leesh, and the dog is chewing threw it...

-Orinians
Called by that name by humans since their appearance as a superpower in Orion, these insectoids stand out from the crowd and deserve to be called the representatives of Orion. They rose to power some time in 2800 with the alliance between them and the already powerful Thalians. Piggybacking on the Thalians massive factory worlds, thy built up powerful fleets and beautiful habitats. They have had a interest in the sciences since before they launched the first rocket and so their technological abilities are admirable. They have proved the string theory and were working with experimental FTL before it was introduced to them directly by an anti-empire Snefu faction. They have a segmented exoskeleton with segment division similar to centipedes. They have a "centaur" body plan, that is, two arms, each with three fingers and four legs which end in hoof like feet. Their box-like head, which has two pairs of large eyes, a pair of antennae and four protruding, claw-like mandibles. They have a complex usocial society, somewhat similar to ants and wasps on Earth. They are lead by a small elite which currently resides on the homeworld.
They are the ones that finally built up the ISASR, by slowly building up positive relations and alliances before finally coming to terms to the other members to create a single community. The hive minded Orinians where quite pleased.

Edited by Just Watcher, May 8 2012, 02:46 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Is this based off Orion's Arm?

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
No, it isnt. In fact I was aware of its existence only when I was searching for information on the Orion Spur and I still haven't read it. It does look pretty good actually. Anyway, two more factions to write up and then I'll be onto a little resume of each species, of which there are so far 20.

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

OA isn't a very good project in terms of plausibility.

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Okay then, I havnt actually read any of it though....
Any comments though? (I know theres a lack of information still but you might want to know something, no?)

Zerraspace
Member Avatar
UD Needs You!
I would need some more insight into race biology or motives and the direction you're specifying for them before I can really comment. It is a nice change of pace to have human beings be but a footnote in the galactic story, but of course, there's a reason we're always the main characters...

Holbenilord

What is so implausible about Orion's Arm? I can see why you take issue with the sophonts, given the multitude of alternate biochemistries, but the physics and astronomy seem top notch from what little I've skimmed through (given the magnitude of the project, I doubt I'll ever delve into it in any great depth...)

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Mainly the xenobiology, which you mentioned and the liberties they have taken with much of the technology.

Just taking a random article, say http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/4c87bf18e89ff "Ultimate Muscles".

They mention that these muscles would have to be disproportionately thicker and then do not explain how they get around this problem. The image shows hypertrophied muscles, but far enough to compensate? Definitely not.

They say "Running at high speeds is essentially a series of low jumps", when it quite clearly is not- watching any Olympic sprinter would show this. When running, your legs swing underneath you, whereas in a jump you coil and then jump upwards.

And then there is this. "since the U-muscle user can do 10,000 times as much work, it can jump 10,000 times as high". The importance of mass has been completely and utterly thrown aside.

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
err, can we not go down the off topic road again, heh ;)
Okay, Im going to finish of the last two factions and then you can expect some species details on Tuesday.

Edit: I did one more, the last one doesn't count as a faction and it needs more work anyway.
Edited by Just Watcher, Apr 29 2012, 11:21 AM.

Dragonthunders
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
all try to biology in OA, will always be a little sleepy and distracted. It seems more focused on cosmology, astronomy and intergalactic maps.

Space Gorilla
Member Avatar
Primate Thinker
Quote:

In terms of the sentient AI thing, I would say why not?

I just didn't like that they made different mutated forms of humans as inhabitants of such large portions of space, and there were very few alien species.

Space Gorilla
Member Avatar
Primate Thinker
ON TOPIC:

Watcher in the Puddle, everything seems fine with me about what you have done so far. Although, I have to point out, that sapient space-faring species under scientific models and simulations, if carry a xenophobic, isolationist approach, they won't survive long. So the Nu-kan Empire would face some serious problems on the long run. At least some kind of interaction, even an unwanted one, with some other species, might maintain stability of existence on the long run.

I'm not sure why this is, or if even applies to the cosmos around us (since we really haven't met various alien species to know if they live longer in associations/alliances, or not), but this was done with the aid of behavioral scientists. So probably there is something to this type of behavior, that is very auto-destructive for a sophont.

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Thanks for the on topic reply Orionite :)
Okay, the Nu-Kans were highly isolationist and militaristic before the Yumeko invasion fleets came knocking at their door. Kinda like North Korea. Luckily, they managed to fight them off until the ISASR came and sorted things out. This brought out the Nu-Kans out into the galactic community a bit, after all, you cant just ignore a superpower after the saved your butt right? XD anyway, although they still have xenophobic doctrines and are still highly militarised, they have a friendship with the ISASR that currently keeps them connected. The Snith are just jerks but their too out of the way to annoy anybody, so far.

Anyway, I've been working on some pictures of some of the species, Ill upload the first page tomorrow I guess.

Space Gorilla
Member Avatar
Primate Thinker
Quote:

Thanks for the on topic reply Orionite :)
Okay, the Nu-Kans were highly isolationist and militaristic before the Yumeko invasion fleets came knocking at their door. Kinda like North Korea. Luckily, they managed to fight them off until the ISASR came and sorted things out. This brought out the Nu-Kans out into the galactic community a bit, after all, you cant just ignore a superpower after the saved your butt right? XD anyway, although they still have xenophobic doctrines and are still highly militarised, they have a friendship with the ISASR that currently keeps them connected. The Snith are just jerks but their too out of the way to annoy anybody, so far.

Anyway, I've been working on some pictures of some of the species, Ill upload the first page tomorrow I guess.

Oh, I thought they were totally isolated. Well, minute interaction at least. The role of Yumeko here seems crucial in my opinion.

Try seeing this as ..... I dunno, see it as even just attempts at establishing relations, like an annoying person giving you friend requests and pokes that you keep ignoring, but they remind you that they exist and that you are not alone, and its still some form of interaction.

Walker
VARANIDS RULE
Wow man, loving your work here. Would love to hear a bit about human and other races technology - thing such as firearms, space ships, vehicles and soldier technology. After all it seems to be the main thing I focus on in my Xenobiology Projects and I'd love to see another persons take on it.

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Well if nobody has figured it out yet, human were defeated around the year 1950 so there isnt much in human tech. Anyway, Yumeko technology is much better. Anyway, drawing 20 or so alien species is harder than I though it would be, so it's still gonna be a few days until I post some of the species.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply