Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
UEC Alien Desgin; Submit your ideas today!
Topic Started: Apr 24 2012, 02:00 PM (3,905 Views)
Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
The UEC is a big project- I'm not just trying to create a single planet, I'm creating an entire galactic society. As such, I need sophonts. LOTS of sophonts. I also want to get as many people involved as possible, so here's the deal: You can submit your ideas for a sapient race here, and if I feel it fits with the UEC, then it'll be added to the official topic. There are a few rules, but the project is fairly wide-open.

RULES:
- you MUST have a picture or detailed physical description of your species

- you don't need to go too in-depth (you can just submit a random doodle with no other info if you want!)

- no humanesques, and try to avoid humanoids if possible

- no telepathy or other "pseudoscience"

- try to avoid looking too Earth-like

- feel free to add information on your species' culture and technology

- you can even submit races from preexisting projects, as long as they meet the above requirements

That's just about it! If you have questions, post here or PM me.
(Also, if anyone wants to design the Chix'acul, please go ahead! I just can't get the little buggers (no pun intended), to look right. Just ignore the physical descriptions I've given of them on other topics.)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Amoeboid
Member Avatar

Hmmm, sounds sort of cool! I'm interested to see where this goes. My friend and I tried to make a RPG type game based on a galactic society, it was tough haha.

dialforthedevil
Member Avatar
Frumentarii Administrator

Im interested!

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Great! I've always had trouble designing sapient races (as opposed to Yellowdrakex and Mike, who seem to specialize in it), so your participation is greatly appreciated. :)

whachamacallit2
Member Avatar
Guy who yells at squirrels
Hmm, could you define exactly what a "humanoid" alien? For example, I got a "four-limbed" alien that occasionally walks on two legs for short distances. Does that could as too humanoid?
Edited by whachamacallit2, Apr 24 2012, 02:58 PM.

Amoeboid
Member Avatar

whachamacallit2
Apr 24 2012, 02:57 PM
Hmm, could you define exactly what a "humanoid" alien? For example, I got a "four-limbed" alien that occasionally walks on two legs for short distances. Does that could as too humanoid?
I'm guessing he means things that have a human stance, such as the Na'vi, Asari, Turians, "greys" etc. Things can be bipedal and not be humanoid, like raptor like creatures.

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Asari are humanoids. There.

Oh... and I squealed with joy when I saw this. Too bad my Oka or Snefu cant join in...
..But what about the Minrikians....hmmm

whachamacallit2
Member Avatar
Guy who yells at squirrels
By his Russwalac's speech, it seems that humanesques are what the Asari are. And reading the topic where the term humanesque was coined, it appears that I'm right, Puddle.

Also, I'll see if I can scrounge up an alien from my files when I get back.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Humanoids aren't against the rules or anything (my Brachions are fairly humanoid), but I want to have as many different bodyplans as possible.

urufumarukai
Member Avatar
A F*cking Unicorn with an Afro and a Moustache
Hrmm I'll toss in a few of my 21 species when I get the chance.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Watcher In The Puddle
Apr 24 2012, 03:41 PM
Asari are humanoids. There.

Oh... and I squealed with joy when I saw this. Too bad my Oka or Snefu cant join in...
..But what about the Minrikians....hmmm
Humanoid is being a upright biped with at least two arms, humanesque is being that while also possessing distinctly human facial features. There's a very simple test you can do, but I might go into that... :P

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
It has the word human in it '^' thats how my mind works. Humanesque, humanoid..meh

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Well, it's actually even simpler than that:
Spoiler: click to toggle

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Translunar injection: TLI
Russwallac, fails when you consider xenophiles and the open-minded.

Then again, there are plenty of humanesque things that pretty much everyone, including xenophiles and the open-minded, would not touch.

However. There is a test for humanesqueosity.

It is the infamous T.Neo Humanesque Test.

It is the only attempt an objective, quantifiable determination of whether an alien organism is 'humanesque' or not. I will most definitely admit that it is flawed; there is too much potential for subjectiveness in determining whether a specific trait is a pass or fail. To resolve that I think there'd need to be considerable guidelines to explain what would and would not be considered a pass in certain cases.
Edited by T.Neo, Apr 25 2012, 01:35 PM.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
T.Neo
Apr 25 2012, 01:33 PM
Russwallac, fails when you consider xenophiles and the open-minded.

Then again, there are plenty of humanesque things that pretty much everyone, including xenophiles and the open-minded, would not touch.

However. There is a test for humanesqueosity.

It is the infamous T.Neo Humanesque Test.

It is the only attempt an objective, quantifiable determination of whether an alien organism is 'humanesque' or not. I will most definitely admit that it is flawed; there is too much potential for subjectiveness in determining whether a specific trait is a pass or fail. To resolve that I think there'd need to be considerable guidelines to explain what would and would not be considered a pass in certain cases.
Such as..? It's not that I don't believe you; I just can't think of any examples.

Anyway, from my point of view, this is humanoid (if a little on the humanesque side):
Posted Image

And this is humanesque:
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply