Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Featherinator; It goes ding when there's feathers!
Topic Started: Apr 5 2012, 09:21 AM (310 Views)
T.Neo
Member Avatar
Translunar injection: TLI
So, in light of the debate over dinosaur featheredness...

Imagine a simulator of some sort. It accepts values regarding environmental issues (temperature, humidity), values regarding physiological attributes (degrees of endothermy, body temperature, blood flow, skin dynamics, etc), and perhaps even behavioural factors (how aquatic something was, whether it liked to wallow in mud or dust, whether it would seek sheltered environments or exposed ones).

This simulator then generates a result showing what kind of integument the animal would have, where the integument would be located, which areas would lack or posess insulative integument and to what degree, etc.

For added visual results, the results of the calculation could be performed with and applied on a 3D model, with relevant values 'painted' onto the model with the help of a greyscale raster image file UV-mapped onto it.

First the simulator would be calibrated with living animals (or those of which the integumentary nature is somewhat understood). Then it would be extrapolated to extinct animals with the nature of their integumentary structures in question, using theorised values.

Whadya think, everyone?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lamna
Member Avatar
Elsa? Do you want to overthrow the Kaiser?

Nice idea, but I don't know how to do that. It sounds like it's mostly computer modelling, and computers are a kind of magic I don't understand.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
WHy don't we just go for the whole shebang and get a computer simulation for evolution? Just give it environmental conditions, a time period, and some species, and watch it work its magic!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Holbenilord
Member Avatar
Will of the People

It does sound useful, but also incredibly complex. Particularly the behavioral factors- how could we incorporate those well?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Quote:

Nice idea, but I don't know how to do that. It sounds like it's mostly computer modelling, and computers are a kind of magic I don't understand.

It'd mostly be computer programming. Quite different from 3D computer modelling and other graphics work, but equally impossible for those who aren't literate in the matter.

Quote:

WHy don't we just go for the whole shebang and get a computer simulation for evolution? Just give it environmental conditions, a time period, and some species, and watch it work its magic!

That'd be far more complex and far more prone to implausibility than what I'm describing here, though.

Quote:

It does sound useful, but also incredibly complex. Particularly the behavioral factors- how could we incorporate those well?

It would be based on living animals. By behaviour I mean things like how athletic an animal might have been, how aquatic it was, and how that would affect the nature of their integument.
Edited by T.Neo, Apr 5 2012, 11:38 AM.

Nanotyranus
Member Avatar
I'm going back to basics.
Different animals have different solutions, and integument is no different. Also, it would only work with structures that already exist. Primitive feathers and pycnofibers wouldn't be included.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
It could be extrapolated from existing integumentary structures and existing solutions. I never tried to say that it's perfect, just that it could be used to gain an extra insight on issues that till now have basically been guesswork, without explicit evidence.

Tartarus
Member Avatar
Adult
Russwallac
Apr 5 2012, 10:17 AM
That wouldn't work. The computer simulation would not be able to take into account the unpredictability of real life, nor would it be able to account for all the countless factors involved.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
You could if the simulation were detailed enough, but it would have to be astronomically advanced.

Plus, it's very difficult to simulate something when you're not exactly sure how it works. There are plenty of unanswered questions about biology.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Add Reply