Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Skya'nAki; Previously Новая Земля (making a couple changes)
Topic Started: Mar 20 2012, 06:11 PM (713 Views)
Dragon wasp
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Skya'nAki

In the April of 2057, a Russian/American collaborative Probe Landed. When The Probe entered the atmosphere of the Planet (originally named Новая Земля, by Russian Борислав Егоров (Borislav Yegorov)) It Recorded Every minute on a Video camera attached to the probe. After several scans and tests the Russian/American researchers got this information:

Size: 13072 km in Diameter
Temperature upon landing: 25° Celsius; Highest temperature measured: 34° Celsius; Lowest temperature measured: 11° Celsius
Time in one rotation: 26.8 Earth hours
Days in one full circle around the systems sun: 367.5 (Новая Земля days)
Moons: 8

4 planets in the system, Skya'nAki is the 3 from the sun.
System name: 9979 Solarii
Type f star

The probe landed on the southwestern hemisphere of the planet. An American cartographer made this picture of the continent that the probe landed on.
the first life that was spotted appeared to be trees, but with closer inspection it turned out to be giant succulent plants towering up to 15 meters in height.
Large picture... sorry

Multiple updates are on its way, but this is what i have so far. Please feel free to comment.

Edited by Dragon wasp, Jul 6 2012, 06:13 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
I couldn't help but notice that the moons don't seem to be named after anything googleable. Are they nonsense words or inside jokes? I'm not condemning you if they are, in fact I've always hated the fact that celestial bodies are always named after a mythological being, the only reason I do it in my project is because I don't think people will change in that regard, but if they were to do so then it would certainly be a more interesting universe. The apostrophe disturbs me though, as apostrophes are waning in english, so to include them in a word on a whim seems a bit strange to me, especially seeing as apostrophes are typically used in transcriptions to indicate a glottal stop (not found in (standard) english), which is just as easily conveyed with the more common -dash-. Also, the map's square, is this meant to be a mercator projection or part of a more stretched-out map, the superfluous oceans of which have been removed for prettiness?

Fleeshster
Member Avatar
Not Flisch
He said that it was just a map of a continent, so I'd assume that there's much more to the planet than that.

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
ah, yes, I misread

Dragon wasp
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Thanks Mike and speculative fish for the reply's, I accidentally put the map in the wrong part of the paragraph... Oops :")

Also I did just name the moons with a random name generator. maybe I should change that to some Russian words... A little inconstant on my part. Now that I think of it, more Russian names for the moons would be pretty cool. I don't have to much time now, but I will change it next time I get!

Dragon wasp
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Fixed

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar
Not all dictators were horrible. Unfortunately for spambots, I am.

Interesting project. I'll definitely come back to check it out.

BTW, do you speak Russian or did you just look up words on Google Translate? Fine with me either way, though I personally would prefer the former as I am trying to learn Russian and would love to be able to converse with someone and learn more about the grammar.

Anyway, I look forward to updates!

Dragon wasp
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Thanks Canis!

Truth is I actually know Close to nothing about Russian. I too would love to learn the language, because it really interests me, but for now I only used Google translate. Maybe some day I might be able to write without a translator!

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
In Soviet Russia, Russian translate you.

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
A few problems with regards to grammar here and there.

Quote:

многие кратер: mnogie krater

This says "many crater", but with the "many" being plural and the "crater" being singular. It would be more properly "многие кратеры: mnogie kratery" or, as I would suggest, "многократеров" (alottacraters), because it would be more noun-like and sound like a better name due to a consonantal ending.

Quote:

Я не знаю, как назвать эту: YA ne znayu , kak nazvatʹ etu

"эту" is the accusative feminine form of the adjective "this". Russians refer to any moon that is not our own as a "sputnik" (satellite), and this is a masculine noun, so this wouldn't happen even if we were to assume the adjective would have its proper place there. It would be more proper to say "этo", because that's the noun form. But even then, this is a lengthy name. Russian has the benefit of a redundant inflective system, so you can shorten such sentences by removing pronouns. "Я не знаю, как назвать этo" could be "не знаю, как назвать этo", because "знаю" (know) has a first-person ending, so you don't need to say "I". In fact, even the object isn't required, as it's implied that the planet's what you're talking about, seeing as you're naming it, so you could simply call it "не знаю, как назвать". Hell, "незнаю" is probably enough.

Quote:

быстро: bystro

This means "quickly", which is an adverb. You named prior planets with adjectives (bolshoi and nebolshoi). Russians do occasionally refer to nouns simply by adjectives that accompany them, and they describe stuff through adverbs all the time, so either way is fine, but the inconsistency unnerves me. Perhaps it's more natural that way, inconsistent, нo не знаю, я просто американец.

Dragon wasp
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Thanks mike for the corrections, as I have said I am nothing close to speaking Russian ( I just used google translate (which can't be relied on all the time)) so I will make some corrections

Zerraspace
Member Avatar
UD Needs You!
Dragon wasp

And if anyone can help with sun types I would be very grateful, not to good with suns.

I might be able to be of some assistance there.

There are quite a variety of star types, particularly if you consider their various life stages, but chances are you'll be dealing with main sequence stars. Most of these can be classified under O, B, A, F, G, K and M types, each one dimmer, cooler and smaller than the last, but also taking longer to burn out and being much more common than the ones before (M stars make up at least 75% of all known stars). The larger three are blue and blue/white giants, F and G are yellow/white dwarves, K are orange dwarves, and M are red dwarves, but worldbuilders typically focus on F to K stars because larger stars burn out too quickly for habitable planetary conditions to develop and planets around smaller stars are almost guaranteed to be tidally locked to them (not that we haven't worked around the issue on this site, we've discussed this before in Asgard... ;) ). You might be able to get away with a smaller A star, but given the length of the planetary year and its similarity to Earth's, you'll probably end up with the boring trio - a small F star, a sun-like G star, or a large K star (when I say small F star and large K star, I mean relative to their star types - the small F is still larger than our G type sun and the large K is still smaller than it), but even here there are limits. Even a small difference in stellar mass has enormous implications - an F star just 10% more massive than our sun would shine almost 40% brighter, a K star 80% the sun's mass would shine with only 45% its light - but much of this can be offset with the proper atmosphere.

As such, it would help to better know the conditions you're planning for this planet. The highest recorded temperature seems fairly low, which would suggest a star somewhat smaller than the sun, but the lowest temperature is fairly high and global average is warmer than here. This could simply be the probe's limited scanning ability, but if not it would indicate relatively minor temperature variations across the planet's surface (at least, relative to Earth - the highest and lowest recorded temperatures are about 60 and -90 Celsius, respectively). This leads me to believe that the planet has a powerfully insulating atmosphere, quite a bit thicker or at least many times richer in greenhouse gases than our own, in which case its sun must deliver less heat to maintain the same average temperature (thermal variations will still be mitigated no matter the distance, which will also result in more homogenous climates). To that end, you're probably best off with a fairly small G star, like our sun, or a fairly large orange dwarf K star. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if the atmosphere is highly reflective (say, if it is mostly shrouded in water clouds), you could handle a range of F stars. With some variation of year length and atmosphere, nearly any type is possible. I'll give you more data when you need it.

In retrospect, that's probably not helpful...

Dragon wasp
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Thanks Zerraspace!

oh, it was Asgard. I thought it was Thyoph where we discussed stars. I think a small F star is the way I'm gonna go.

Thanks again!

Oceaniis
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Look out, the F stars live only for 5000 Myr, in the case of Earth it would have only 500 Myr last.

Dragon wasp
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the term Myr.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply