Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution community is the biggest presence for speculative biologists on the web.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ammonites made pearls
Topic Started: Feb 28 2012, 07:41 AM (468 Views)
JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/ammonoids-trapped-parasites-in-pearls-2/
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lamna
Member Avatar
All roads lead to Trantor, and that is where all stars end.

Interesting, do we have any proof that Ammonites were little squid things? I remember when I was much younger a book saying we've never found any fossils of their soft parts.
T.Neo

Are nipples or genitals necessary, lamna?
[flash=500,450] Video Magic! [/flash]
Posted Image

Spoiler: click to toggle

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
From what I can gather there are soft tissue impressions that show that they were not only squid things, but more closely related to modern day squids and octopuses/pi/R'hylleh than to the other shelled cephalopods.
Posted Image

Kamineigh
Member Avatar
Lobotomize your problems.
JohnFaa
Feb 28 2012, 03:18 PM
From what I can gather there are soft tissue impressions that show that they were not only squid things, but more closely related to modern day squids and octopuses/pi/R'hylleh than to the other shelled cephalopods.
PODES.
Steve Irwin

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.

Spoiler: click to toggle

The Writing on the Wall

You should not have come here.
This is not a place of honor. No great deed is commemorated here. Nothing of value is here.
What is here is dangerous and repulsive.

Parasky | 2015

You can't be 100% certain Barack Obama is currently the US president, or that the nation of Canada even exists.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zorcuspine
Member Avatar
HOENN CONFIRMED

Now THIS is weird! I have trouble imagining a cephalopod making perals. I wonder if all ammonites do this or only a couple?
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Add Reply