Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is fast, free, and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ammonites made pearls
Topic Started: Feb 28 2012, 07:41 AM (473 Views)
JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/ammonoids-trapped-parasites-in-pearls-2/
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lamna
Member Avatar

Interesting, do we have any proof that Ammonites were little squid things? I remember when I was much younger a book saying we've never found any fossils of their soft parts.
T.Neo

Are nipples or genitals necessary, lamna?
[flash=500,450] Video Magic! [/flash]
Posted Image

Spoiler: click to toggle

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
From what I can gather there are soft tissue impressions that show that they were not only squid things, but more closely related to modern day squids and octopuses/pi/R'hylleh than to the other shelled cephalopods.
Posted Image

Kamineigh
Member Avatar
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak gems stronger!
JohnFaa
Feb 28 2012, 03:18 PM
From what I can gather there are soft tissue impressions that show that they were not only squid things, but more closely related to modern day squids and octopuses/pi/R'hylleh than to the other shelled cephalopods.
PODES.
Quotes
Spoiler: click to toggle

Zorcuspine
Member Avatar
HOENN CONFIRMED

Now THIS is weird! I have trouble imagining a cephalopod making perals. I wonder if all ammonites do this or only a couple?
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Add Reply