Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Venusians
Topic Started: Jan 24 2012, 03:10 AM (993 Views)
colddigger
Member Avatar
Joke's over! Love, Parasky
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/23/life-on-venus-russian-scientist-finds-living-objects-in-photographs-taken-by-1982-soviet-probe_n_1223020.html

Since when did the Russians send a probe down to the Venusian surface is what I wanna know. Is it odd that the biggest issue I have with this is the use of the word scorpion and not scorpion-like?

Personally I'm curious where this supposed video would be found :P
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lamna
Member Avatar
Elsa? Do you want to overthrow the Kaiser?

Since 1970, though they had been sending probes since 1961. Though they were part of the USSR at the time.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Has anyone else noticed that the two photos are of different places? The rocks and positions of the probes legs are different. There's no way of telling if the object (It looks like a sea slug! :P ) has moved or if there are two of them. Still, life on Venus would be pretty cool.

EDIT: And then this happened. Ah, well.
Edited by Russwallac, Jan 24 2012, 08:43 AM.

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
I just read another article on this photo. The thing's a lens cap.

Parasky
Member Avatar
ME SUAREZ HUNGRY NOW!

colddigger
Jan 24 2012, 03:10 AM
Never heard of Venera? Putting a man on the moon is a great accomplishment, but in my opinion making a robot that survived Venus this long, operational or not, is a somewhat greater example of humanity's potential.

The article is a joke. Morphological changes prove that it's a living thing? On the surface of a world covered in molten rock and sulfuric acid rain falling from an atmosphere as thick as pea soup? Great logic there, I'm sure nothing moves on Venus. I mean it's not Earth so that means it must be static and unchanging like the moon right? I'm not opposed to the idea of life on Venus, even on the surface of the planet (even though I think it's far more likely that it exists in the more temperate upper atmosphere). I do doubt the existence of a living multicellular blob wriggling around, especially one caught on grain film by a Soviet robot from the 1980's that operated for a whole hour before being fried.

I hope someday soon we send more probes to Venus. I'm of the opinion our technology is advanced enough to send a full on rover to the surface.

colddigger
Member Avatar
No, I never heard of these Venus probes, I never put a whole lot of research into whether or not we hadn't since I always figured that one simply couldn't function for very long on the surface..

It's no doubt in my mind that it's not true, that's why I want the video that they refer to.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Translunar injection: TLI
Come on! How could you not know about the Soviet Venus program? It's famous! :P

Acid rain never falls to the surface on Venus. It's too hot, it evaporates before it hits the ground. The ground in the pictures is clearly not molten, and while the density of the Venusian atmosphere is much higher than that of Earth, it isn't the density of pea soup.

It doesn't mean things couldn't move though, if there was enough wind it could displace objects.

If the guy really thinks the lens cap is an organism, he's nuts. It's blatantly obvious that it is part of the spacecraft.

Also I have never seen any scorpions or anything of that sort in these pictures. Where are the scorpions supposed to be?

Still, Venus surface life in an interesting proposition... but a biochemically dubious one.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Come on! How could you not know about the Soviet Venus program? It's famous! :P

Acid rain never falls to the surface on Venus. It's too hot, it evaporates before it hits the ground. The ground in the pictures is clearly not molten, and while the density of the Venusian atmosphere is much higher than that of Earth, it isn't the density of pea soup.

It doesn't mean things couldn't move though, if there was enough wind it could displace objects.

If the guy really thinks the lens cap is an organism, he's nuts. It's blatantly obvious that it is part of the spacecraft.

Also, where are these scorpions even supposed to be?

Still, Venus surface life in an interesting proposition... but a biochemically dubious one.
Edited by T.Neo, Jan 24 2012, 03:45 PM.

colddigger
Member Avatar
I dunno, I'm as surprised as you are at my ignorance of it! For him to claim that there's a scorpion, well, in my opinion the photos are not clear enough for the claim..

But considering that we had sent probes to Venus makes colonizing the place seem more realistic to me..

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Quote:

But considering that we had sent probes to Venus makes colonizing the place seem more realistic to me..

Posted Image

No reason to colonise Venus, and colonising the surface would be extremely difficult (just building a probe to withstand the conditions for a considerable amount of time is difficult). The cloud-tops are at least more hospitable (aside from the sulfuric acid).

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
we learned about the Russian venus probes in school in the 1970s... the probe survived less than a day... I can't remember how long exactly, just long enough to send some pictures back...

colddigger
Member Avatar
I meant the cloud tops, colonizing the cloud tops. Having something in orbit around the planet in my mind is not the same as colonizing the planet itself, though I was referring mostly to sending stuff to the planet than anything else...
Colonizing the ground would be cool, or maybe hot, but seems like too much of a hassle.

Anyway, would harvesting materials from the atmosphere of Venus be worth anything?

Parasky
Member Avatar
ME SUAREZ HUNGRY NOW!

T.Neo
Jan 24 2012, 03:42 PM
You always take my statements so seriously, I wasn't attempting to be accurate. I was merely making the point that Venus is about as close to hell as any place we know of in the universe. And that the chances of multicellular life existing on the surface of such a place would be nigh impossible.

Parasky
Member Avatar
ME SUAREZ HUNGRY NOW!

colddigger
Jan 24 2012, 05:46 PM
Colonizing the ground would be cool, or maybe hot,
Well which is it? Good god man, make up your mind!

lamna
Member Avatar
Elsa? Do you want to overthrow the Kaiser?

Oh damn it. I could have felt really smart and superior if I said that thing was the lens cap early. I just assumed everyone knew that, so he must have meant something else. It looks just like the one in Space Odyssey: Voyage To The Planets, where the cosmonaut kicks it away from the arm that was supposed to measure the compressibility of the soil, but instead measured the compressibility of the lens cap. The Venera 14 stuff starts about 13.30 but you should watch the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjeFxD75Tc8

I certainly think the Colonisation of Venus hot. Imagining creating a biosphere to cope with the extremely longs days make me feel all funny.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Add Reply