Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Alligators are better pack hunters than wolves
Topic Started: Dec 23 2011, 06:50 PM (706 Views)
JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354.700-wolf-packs-dont-need-to-cooperate-to-make-a-kill.html

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/herpbiology/bartram.htm
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nanotyranus
Member Avatar
I'm going back to basics.
Spectacled caiman 1, wolves 0!
I love Mr. Caiman. My favorite animal. I'll go spread this to another forum.

jasonguppy
Member Avatar
Überdino
Nanotyranus
Dec 31 2011, 05:18 AM
Spectacled caiman 1, wolves 0!
I love Mr. Caiman. My favorite animal. I'll go spread this to another forum.
MINE TOO!!!!!!!!!

colddigger
Member Avatar
Joke's over! Love, Parasky
I dunno, it seems to me that you could program simulated gators to act the same way with two rules as well...

I think ants trump both of them.

lamna
Member Avatar
Elsa? Do you want to overthrow the Kaiser?

I know right, crocodilians are just so much more spiritual than other animals. They have such bad press when they are totally harmless animals, their special creatures that need to be helped. Sometimes, I wish I was a alligator.

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
I do gladly admit that they are every bit as agressive as wolves, if not more. In fact, of all reptiles they are the ones least decent as pets. Squamates and turtles are better options.

Still, they're vastly superior to canines.

lamna
Member Avatar

I love the fact that you've become what you hate.

And the John was a Gatorboo.

Zorcuspine
Member Avatar
You never cease to suprise me blue hedgehog

Even if this is true you can at least admit dogs are more intelligent right?

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
lamna
Dec 31 2011, 06:55 PM
I love the fact that you've become what you hate.

And the John was a Gatorboo.
Not really, if anything I'm "everything-but-wolves-boo".

This is why haters gonna hate in vain. In the end, I'm always the morally superior one.

^ Maybe. I haven't seen studies comparing wolf and crocodile intelligence directly.
Edited by JohnFaa, Dec 31 2011, 08:08 PM.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
I take issue with this because the first article was based on a computer simulation; I play video games where wolves do the same thing. As for the second article, it has too many grammatical and spelling errors for me to take it seriously.

Fakey
Member Avatar
FALCON CONFIRMED
Russwallac
Dec 31 2011, 10:24 PM
I take issue with this because the first article was based on a computer simulation; I play video games where wolves do the same thing. As for the second article, it has too many grammatical and spelling errors for me to take it seriously.
Then again, that's a video game made by people who could give less a damn about biology than a two year old.

Nanotyranus
Member Avatar
I'm going back to basics.
Trying to get people to see the point on another forum. From what I've seen, they've only read the title and not the articles. They only seem to be thinking 'Only killing BIG THINGYS is a pack hunt, durr'.

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Russwallac
Dec 31 2011, 10:24 PM
I take issue with this because the first article was based on a computer simulation
the whole point of it is that the simulation demonstrated that the "complex" pack hunting behaviors of wolves can be brought about through very simple rules, demonstrating that the wolves don't actually need to think about what they're doing, they're probably just trying to stay away from the other wolves while still inching towards the prey.

Quote:

This apparent ambush may require neither planning nor communication between wolves. According to a new computer model, a virtual wolf pack can replicate a real pack's behaviour by obeying just two rules, suggesting that the wolf's hunting strategy does not need much brain power.

Whether or not this makes them worse pack hunters is debatable, but it does seem like good verbal ammo for the next time a wolfaboo goes on a rant about how wolves are smarter and more compassionate than humans. In fact, I bet this cooperative behavior actually stems from selfishness and fear, the wolves separating from each other in hopes of taking the kill for themselves or to avoid seeming in direct competition with the others.

So the whole point is it is a simulation, to say you don't trust it because it's a simulation doesn't make sense. As for the other article, the only spelling "errors" are from articles written in the 1700s, prior to standardization of spelling.

lamna
Member Avatar

I still don't get it. I've never met these wolf nutters. I can't see how they could be so bad that you've effectively written off an entire species as being worthless.

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
Venture deeper into the bowels of dA and YouTube.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Add Reply