Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[Member Project] Skatha: Sapients and other fauna; XENOBIOLOGY
Topic Started: Dec 20 2011, 12:12 AM (24,132 Views)
Bagger 33
Zygote
Amoeboid
Feb 14 2012, 01:25 AM
Spoiler: click to toggle

Here we have a large herbivore who lives in the swamps of the eastern hemisphere of Skatha. Like many herbivores of Skatha, the Suutaow (Sue-tau) supports its torso with four boneless, stocky "tentacles." The Suutaow also have the characteristic mandibles which is a widespread jaw plan for nearly all Skathan vertebrates.

The large sack on the snout is not the nostrils of the Suutaow, it is in fact an air bladder that can be filled with air, causing a brightly colored membrane to flare out in a bubble like fashion. This, combined with a loud guttural below, makes up the mating display.

And please ignore any blatant spelling or grammar errors, I am very tired but really wanted to get something posted.

Amoeboid
Feb 26 2012, 12:19 AM
Had a chance to get some painting in tonight, so I did a quick speed paint of a Gapuri. A Northern one to be specific, they are darker in complexion than their Eastern relatives.

The flora is interesting up north as well, dark trunks of plants are offset by their bright orange seed pods. This guy is about 50, and adult in their prime (in Human years jeh'd be about 30).

Also a bit of explanation on "jeh'd"...Since the Gapuri do not have two separate genders they do not have "he" and "she" when referring to individuals, and when we speak about them we do not use gender specific titles like that. They have a word that sounds to the human ear like "Jeh." Jeh is what they use the way we use "he" or "she." "She went to the store" is "Jeh went to the store." I used "jeh" in conjunction with "would" above, "jeh'd" isn't used in the Gapuri's language, as "would" is not a word. I simply combined it with an english word.
He/she = Jeh
Him/her = Jyeher (sounds like jayer with a soft "j" sound)

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Museum of Speculative Biology · Next Topic »
Add Reply