Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[Member Project] Skatha: Sapients and other fauna; XENOBIOLOGY
Topic Started: Dec 20 2011, 12:12 AM (24,105 Views)
TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
I'm going back to basics.
All these little beluga/bug-faced aliens are awesome. Mainly because they're more awesome than us at being awesome.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
Amoeboid, please can I do a short story and picture involving a Gapuri or two? It's for my Terra Copepoda, as I want to have a single city on the planet for documenting the copepods.

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
Not as part of the main project; just as one of the species that live permanently on the planet. Anything based around them will be as parts of stories.

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
It'll be further in the future. For simplicity's sake, I'm going to keep the species the same for however long they live. Right now, that's ten million years in the future.

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
So, please can I use the Gapuri?

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
Okay, thanks!

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
I've had an idea. For the arm-spines, what about if they developed from a very large sloth-thing at some point in their evolution? There would probably be less segments if they developed from a different ancestor, as (from what I can tell) many segments are less energy-efficient, but the pseudosloth might need its arms to weave between other branches to get it in the best position with the best feeding and the best grapple-branch.

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
I've just been wondering. What sort of slang do Gapuri use? It'd be interesting to know that sort of stuff.

And also, what about the stuff they'd use for horror movies? Their equivalents of vampires and zombies?

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
@Slang: XD So, dirt related to Kollup is pretty insulting, I guess.

@Movies: What about a Gapuri's were-whatever? Gapuri were-kollups, maybe. Or whatever large, fast-moving predator there is, at least.

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
Isn't it swimming?

And SHRIMPY THING SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
The human race has had multiple bottlenecks. There was the volcanic eruption early in their evolution, there was leaving Africa, and then subsequent other bottlenecks shrank diversity even further.

TAXESbutNano
Member Avatar
Check the properties for an adress.

@Amoeboid: Up to a point, size of the place a giant animal is living in doesn't matter. In plenty of small half-mile-long british islands, introduced sheep and deer survive quite well. A giga-organism (if we say that the organism is half a ton for my guess) the size of Puertasaurus (120 tons) might be able to have a population like that on an island 120 miles long (like the Bahamas), and something like Madagascar could give much larger organisms. This might be wrong due to the original guess, and probably is, but might help.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Museum of Speculative Biology · Next Topic »
Add Reply