Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[Member Project] Skatha: Sapients and other fauna; XENOBIOLOGY
Topic Started: Dec 20 2011, 12:12 AM (24,150 Views)
Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
welcome - great stuff - love your artwork - and I gotta say I am more than a bit jealous.... cool stuff - can't wait for the next update - might check out the site at work tomorrow.
The Speccer Formerly Known As Magoo...
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
the major "vertebrates" on Cyrus have a distributed processing setup...

but all distributed neural nets would need some sort of "bus master"...

The Cyrans have an optical processing structure in their head, and a "bus master" (that's what I call it) central processing "brain" beneath and protected by the shoulder attachment shield their front pair of legs hang onto - and another processing centre beneath their middle leg attachment, which controls cardio-vascular processes, there is a rear vestigial nerve cluster at the attachment point of their rear legs.

In theory a Cyrus vertebrate could survive decapitation if it was prevented from dying of blood loss.
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
viruses are just copying machines that use our genetic material to make copies of themselves... I don't think Earth viruses would know how to do the same with alien genetic material, as even if the material is identical to DNA, I don't think the Gapuri codes and DNA sequences would match ANYTHING from Earth.

And I don't know if there would have to be viruses in Alien biomes. Sure there might be something like viruses, but they wouldn't be the same, and I don't think they're a certainty in astrobiology anyway.
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
If I was an enterprising Gapuri or human, I'd capture a few Koluup worms and try to get them to breed in artificial caves across the other side of the world away from the caves, and make an absolute killing by undercutting the merchants who've transported Koluup snot for thousands of leagues to sell in remote markets!
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
If I was one of those human colonists, and Parasky was another one, I'd destroy his enterprise by mass manufacturing light globes or LEDs - WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!
and sorry for hi-jacking your thread Amoeboid! :")
Edited by Zoroaster, Jan 5 2012, 08:46 PM.
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
Amoeboid
Jan 6 2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah, hovercraft are just not practical for land use. I just love the way they look haha. But I will keep them out of the Gapuri story for the sake of being accurate with modern physics.
Nothing worse than being accurate but using old physics... :")
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
do they have the verb "to be" ? (i.e. am, are, is, was, were, be, being [the act of existing] etc)

it is possible to write without using that verb - I've read exercises in training oneself not to speak in the "passive voice" which involves omitting use of "to be", however it half did my head in and I gave up...
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
I'm a little confused - so all the trees are actually fungi?

What "makes" them fungi? Because you say they have seed pods and they grow to huge sizes, they sound more like plain old plants? Fungi reproduce via spores.

Generally, what we see of fungi, are their reproductive organs - generally they live as filaments and networks of fibres under the soil, or within their hosts.

How and why do they grow so large? Are they in a symbiotic relationship with photosynthetic "algae" or something? Like giant lichens?
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
I tend to agree with Coldy's last post... I reckon some form of symbiotic relationship with a photosynthesizer would make more sense for the large size... giant lichen...
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
the only real example we have is an Elephant's trunk - and on paper it looks like an impressive example of a massively strong tentacle/boneless arm... but remember - take a look at an elephant, ant take a good look at the massive counterweight on the other end of that trunk...
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
oh shit - it's my 50th birthday today - and I am gonna play devil's advocate - I love your pictures Amoeboid - but - are you and Arachnus the same aspects of the same personality?

I dunno - but Arachnus only only ever queries your project and doesn't even seem to look at any others or post on any other sub-forums... I could be wrong... Or just jealous...

If I am barking up the wrong fucking tree, bark back at me - but I am smelling a fishy kinda prutrescent dead rat smell...

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to visit your world... but I need to know more... continents - star system - life origins - chemistry - primitive ancestors...

And where an IP address is coming from - and where it's going, what email address means fuckall - I used to manage the whole WA government internet infrastructure (and might be again soon - I hope not because it is a dog's breakfast waiting for a tyrannosaur's after-sex smoke), I could spoof my source from about 20 different and "alien" source class B subnets and appear to be someone I am not from anywhere.

Edited by Zoroaster, Apr 3 2012, 10:11 AM.
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
thanks.... sorry to sound so suspicous - but the feds really are tapping my phone, because I am a "biker/bikie"... and just because I don't have any obvious enemies and sound paranoid, it doesn't mean I don't actually have real enemies - I do actually live in a real world of live and die and burn and rot in gaol ( that's how it's supposed to be spelt!).
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

Zoroaster
Member Avatar
Fecund Fundiment
paranoia + voices in my head.... never mind the ghostly fingers on my keyboard typing this shit....
Edited by Zoroaster, Apr 3 2012, 12:01 PM.
My exobio project(s) :
Hormizd / Zarathustra

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Museum of Speculative Biology · Next Topic »
Add Reply