Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dream Creatures; Speculation of the subconcious!
Topic Started: Dec 10 2011, 01:34 PM (10,045 Views)
T.Neo
Member Avatar
Translunar injection: TLI
Last night, I had a dream. It was pretty muddled up and confusing, but one part of it that I do remember, was a peculiar organism swimming in an aquarium tank.

As I recall it, the creature was flat; almost two dimensional. Perhaps like a rubber or plastic sheet 5 millimeters or so thick. Its front end was roughly oval shaped, and its rear was asymmetric, with two fins; a larger main fin, and a smaller secondary fin on one side. It appeared to propel itself forward by curling up and then rapidly extending these fins, rocking slightly as it swam.

The creature posessed two eyes, one on either side of the front end. Each eye had a black 'pupil' and featureless white sclera or iris around the pupil. These features appeared to be almost painted or printed on to the organism. The rest of the creature was black or deeply dark purple, with lighter purple spots over the body. On one side, the fins were featureless. On the other, it appeared that a pattern, similar to that on the underside of a shoe, was embossed into the organism.

The organism was perhaps 20 cm long from the tip of the front end to the tip of the back fin. There were no other obvious features. The tank it was swimming in had black rear walls, was presumably lit from above by incandescant lights. The bottom of the tank seemed to be covered in a sort of hay or other dead plant matter.

This is where it gets weird though: the tank seemed to be located inside a library, and seemed to contain an octopus and a kind of a squid as well (it wasn't really a squid, but more like an octopus with outstretched tentacles in one direction), though they were sitting at the bottom of the tank while this... thing was swimming around. There didn't seem to be any connection between the two and the... thing felt like it was definitely very alien.

It also felt quite familiar, as if I had seen it earlier and made a note of it. Perhaps it featured earlier in the dream and I simply don't remember, or this was one of those wacky psychological gimmicks.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DreamCritter01.png (22.2 KB)
Edited by T.Neo, Dec 10 2011, 01:39 PM.
A hard mathematical figure provides a sort of enlightenment to one's understanding of an idea that is never matched by mere guesswork.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Quote:

Would you mind if we posted descriptions of our own creatures.

Not at all, in fact I posted this in the hope that people would post about their own dream organisms. :)
A hard mathematical figure provides a sort of enlightenment to one's understanding of an idea that is never matched by mere guesswork.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Have you ever actually had a dream, Fakey? Most of the stuff that comes up is relevant in some way.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Aww, that's got to be the cutest seriously-alien-and-weird-looking-but-awesome dream organism ever. I'd love to play a game of catch with them...

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Eagle-bats? Brilliant stuff! :D

I had a dream a couple of days back, about a habitable moon of a gas giant (funnily enough). It was the second of two habitable moons (the other being similar to this, but dry, I remember what I saw of the surface being desert-like).

This moon had continents strewn out across its surface, as if the tectonic plates they were positioned on were mangled molten cheese (it's difficult to describe, but I guess you could imagine the sort of patterns in oceania, only on a continental scale). The vegetation covered most of the land, and appeared varying shades of greenish yellow or brownish/maroon. The oddest thing however, is that most of the continents appeared to exhibit specular reflections, like an ocean, or a river.

Perhaps these were continent-wide swamplands of some sort? I don't think it makes any sense, but it is interesting nontheless.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
I guess frugivores can still be awesome...

T.Neo
Member Avatar
I think I dreamt up some pretty interesting organisms recently, but I don't remember what they were. Perhaps it'll come back to me...

T.Neo
Member Avatar
I just had a dream about the larval form of some weird Australian megafauna. It was either some kind of weird marsupial or some kind of weird ornithodire, I'm not sure. Perhaps both, or neither. But it was weird and endemic in some way. It looked rather like a nodosaurid.

The most interesting thing about it is that it had some sort of larval form, almost like a gigantic grub. This creature was apparently pretty endangered, and no western scientists had ever seen the larval form (at least not alive), though it was known from aboriginal accounts.

When I finally saw one of these larvae, it was quite interesting- it was in captivity, contained in a relatively small cage. I could definitely see that it was a 'vertebrate' and not a 'grub'; it may have had some kind of bone structure inside.

It was very muscular and had a thick, wrinkled hide that was considerably folded. Its method of locomotion- similar to the 'rib walking' of a snake- was fairly evident simply by observing it.

It had two long tentacle or feeler-like projections emerging from its 'shoulder' area and a thick, almost tortoise-like beak. If it had eyes, they were fairly small and I didn't really pay much attention to them. It was definitely reminiscent of a Snaiadi emmiform.

The rarity of these creatures, and the even greater rarity of their larval form, clearly meant they were endangered and under threat of extinction. This is why researching the larvae was extremely important to scientists. However, this specimen, in its strength, somehow escaped from this cage, and also somehow let loose a lion in the same zoo/complex.

Needless to say, faced with the threat of being run down by a gigantic vertebrate grub, me (and the aformentioned lion) ran into the veldt away from the 'zoo'. The larva presumably followed for quite a way, and I in turn was followed by the lion (not because it wanted to eat me... but apparently because I was a sophont and thus likely to choose the right routes and decisions... I'm not making this stuff up). Obviously it was pretty helpful to be accompanied by an animal that could physically defend against a megalarva quite well, though the fact that the escape of this larva sent one of Earth's most famous land predators running is clearly a testament to how fearsome it apparently was...

Anyway, eventually, after running away from this creature, and a cross-country trek across Australia/Wisconsin/South Africa (I'm not really sure which, it kept changing. And apparently kangaroos existed in France and Iberia but they went extinct in the pleistocene), I made it back home, where I apparently had some kind of PTSD from being chased by this animal.

Then the dream changed. Before the "Australian marsupial ankylosaur larva" part of the dream, I was complaining about someone creating a reconstruction of pine trees on Mars in a department store using a shoddily constructed crane. I'm not making this stuff up...
Edited by T.Neo, May 1 2012, 08:24 AM.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
I had a dream last night about Venus. Apparently, everyone was wrong about Venus, and the clouds conceal a habitable surface. If I remember correctly, part of the surface was covered in weird 'fern-y' rainforests, other parts were desolate gravel beds. But the most interesting part of the dream involved the oceans of the planet.

The seafloor was also quite rocky and gravelly, and was covered in a weird translucent 'seaweed' of some kind. Most of the organisms seen were cephalopod-esque, but inhabited niches more similar to fish on Earth. There were indications that there were other creatures in the sea, 'fish'- eventually I sighted one, a 'shark'- eel-like, slowly swimming by undulating its entire body. It had very odd gills, wavy or s-shaped on the side of its 'neck'.

The really odd part was afterwards, there was some kind of conference between various SE members (represented by holograms, like in Star Wars) discussing these Venusian organisms. One of the questions was why an alien animal would look so similar to something from Earth. Parasky stated that external resemblance does not necessarily imply a similar overall morphology.

Later on, back on Earth, I asked someone how everyone had been wrong about Venus, after decades of spectral observation, orbital and even surface probes, why people would postulate that it is habitable. They replied "er... they just don't know". Confusing. :confused:

Earth felt a bit weird in the dream, too.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Interesting.

Last night I had a dream about a rabbit-like creature, small enough to hold in the hand, that was tolerant of being handled and highly averse to loud noises (i.e. thunder, etc).

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Last night I had a dream about a computer program, much like Space Engine. You could fly around the universe and look at all sorts of planets, unique, with various attributes (it was either a computer program or some sort of weird astral travelling exercise that one could partake in). Unlike Space Engine, where the procedurally generated landscapes are fairly boring in-situ, this had some kind of voxel-type terrain (in the sense that it was generated with voxels, not in the sense that it looked like Minecraft, though a couple of instances at least might have been actual Minecraft terrain).

Most of the planets were barren; many had life, but nothing macroscopic. Some had complex life, but it wasn't very visually impressive or diverse- maybe a couple of cnidarian things in the water, a few small grass or Cooksonia type things.

A couple of the planets were likely to have more interesting biospheres. I had landed on/teleported to one, and the part of the surface that I was at was a very weird looking jungle. Looking around, I saw a very heavy-set, fat/bulky creature perched in a tree/sitting on a bush.

It ranged between reddish-brown and beige in colour, and was vaguely-rhino like (complete with some kind of head crest/cephalic bosses a bit like Pachyrhinosaurus, and rhino-like skin folds/armor plates, except this armor plating was quite exaggerated and overlapped to a degree).

It was awesome. I need to figure out a way to draw up/sculpt this creature sometime.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Spec · Next Topic »
Add Reply