Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dream Creatures; Speculation of the subconcious!
Topic Started: Dec 10 2011, 01:34 PM (9,991 Views)
Nembrotha
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Back in 2015, I had a dream where I met this strange humanoid woman who had gray skin, darker stripes all across her body, and a long lizard-like tail. She wore very simple attire, limited to a black cloth lined with gold trims. Her hair was a lighter shade of black, and she had purple eyes. As it turns out, this woman was my sister. We clearly were different species, so I assume she was adopted. We stood there in a pure white fog that covered everything except us. I remember talking to her, but I forgot the words she said. However, I do remember her being a very comforting figure to be by. I'm not sure if she was a creature as much of a sort of guardian angel.

Even earlier in 2014, I was walking through a strange forest at sunset. The bark of the trees was all black with a few gray and white spots, and the leaves were varying shades of red, ranging from deep crimson to almost orange. I assume I was on an alien planet, but right next to the forest was a park that is located right by my house. In the forest, I was approached by a strange, blue, six-legged creature with the head of a tapejarid pterosaur. It looked at me with its eyeless face without uttering a sound. Above us flew a strange beast that I can only describe as a living carpet, with a body coloured red with orange splotches. Bizarrely, it lacked any discernible head. It was also a hexapod, with its six limbs splayed across a membrane that allowed it to glide silently above our heads like an abhorrent flying squirrel. The tips of its hands terminated in pads and lacked digits at all - instead, small fur-like projections allowed it to climb into the trees. And that's where it ends - I forgot the rest.
Journey to the Makrinocene, a world in the twilight hours of the Cenozoic! (Slightly Inactive, will eventually pick up)
Come to Terra Fantasia, a bizarre world where nothing is as it seems! (Ongoing)

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nembrotha
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Apologies for double posting, but last night I saw yet another strange creature in my dreams. The creature in question was a four-winged bird, the first thing coming to mind being Changyuraptor, but this creature was actually capable of flight. It was the size of a Bald Eagle, and its body was covered in orange feathers with a yellow speckled pattern, and a beige underbelly. The eyes were yellow with slit, cat-like pupils, and it had a very long tail. It flew by only flapping its forewings, the hindwings were used as rudders and for perching. Although it was called a bird, it was clearly a microraptorian.

When I first saw it, I was walking across the playground of my old elementary school on a cloudy day. The bird flew over my head and over to a pole near the parking lot, where it perched. I went inside my school and met my old friend from Grade 8 (I suspect this dream took place in Grade 8, even though I have graduated high school by now). When we went outside, we once again saw the bird, this time on a wire. It hissed at us while striking a defensive posture similar to an owl's, but after a while began to warm up to us. In fact, it later turns out that the bird was actually sapient, and capable of speech. It guided us across the field, but then my friend got hurt and I had to run back to the school to get medical supplies. IIRC, it stood beside me as I helped my friend.
Journey to the Makrinocene, a world in the twilight hours of the Cenozoic! (Slightly Inactive, will eventually pick up)

Nembrotha
Member Avatar
Adolescent
I hope I'm not necroposting by typing this... And this one doesn't seem plausible at all. Maybe.

In a dream I had last night, I saw animals that can only be described as absolutely massive cockroaches. They lived on a farm in New Zealand, where they lived underground until they needed to eat again. They came out from beneath a dry, desolate field where radishes the size of basketballs once grew. These roaches towered above us, even when they weren't fully above ground. They were probably the size of a two-story house, if not larger, and I actually managed to walk across the leg of one of them that had not fully resurfaced.

They were a dry yellow, almost sandy colour, with a thick exoskeleton that was rigid enough for me to walk across. If I remember correctly, they also had mantis-like forelimbs, while the remaining four limbs were very thick and upright, uncannily similar to a mammal's, if a bit more splayed, and of course, insectoid. Despite their massive size, their antennae were extremely, almost laughably small. The eyes were massive and coal-black, lacking any sense of awareness, and were rather lifeless looking. They lacked any vestige of wings, and their abdomen was extremely well armoured. I'm pretty sure that these monstrous bugs were to blame for the desertification of the pasture and the lack of radishes. Amazingly, I don't remember being too scared by the roaches. I'm 1000% sure that if they were to appear in real life, I'd be scared beyond death.

I like to believe that these massive roaches were recyclers of the ecosystem. They were essentially the "Plant Reapers" of this dream world, which would wipe out all vegetation in their area before they went back to sleep, allowing the vegetation to regrow from their shed exoskeletons. They were actually friendly to humans and didn't show any sort of animosity towards me, but I imagine that they'd easily overpower anyone whom tries to mess with them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Spec · Next Topic »
Add Reply