Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dream Creatures; Speculation of the subconcious!
Topic Started: Dec 10 2011, 01:34 PM (10,030 Views)
Mr Mysterio
Member Avatar
Waiting...
Why do you have such detailed, complex dream-worlds?
Dumb Quotes

Coming Soon/To be Rebooted:

How To Hunt Gods - Everything you need to know about Gods and the art of God-killing.

Intrazoology - The world of semi-corporeal lifeforms. A world you walk through every day, without even knowing it.

The Dungeonverse - Magical creatures forced to adapt in huge, underground caverns, while surface-dwelling humans go dungeoneering for treasure.

Crossover - A mish-mash of worlds, with Earth smack in the middle of the chaos. What could go wrong?

no worries

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mr Mysterio
Member Avatar
Waiting...
Arachnus
Jul 24 2012, 06:39 PM
Last night I had a dream about a high-gravity world with 1.5 G. In the dream, I could see some kind of oasis in an expansive desert. In the distance there were two vast, sparkling lakes. As you would expect from a high-G world, the air was thick and dense. The life here looked like giant arthropods, but in my mind I knew they had to be at least partly endoskeletal to support their bodies. I saw no plants, and I don't remember the land life well, but I remember seeing a group of black insectoid flyers, with four fly-like wings. They were relatively small for flyers (about pigeon sized), yet they flew quite gracefully due to the thick air.

Out on the horizon I saw a massive city/colony built of metals to withstand the higher gravity. I didn't see any colonists though.
See? That's what I meant! How do you get the "1.5 G" thing into a dream? Whether they're meaningful or the dreams of a person who's on SE, a dream is a dream is a dream. It's almost a rule that they don't make sense! I had a dream where a girl was slowly sinking into the tile kitchen floor. I think she was a celebrity or something....
Dumb Quotes

How To Hunt Gods - Everything you need to know about Gods and the art of God-killing.

Intrazoology - The world of semi-corporeal lifeforms. A world you walk through every day, without even knowing it.

The Dungeonverse - Magical creatures forced to adapt in huge, underground caverns, while surface-dwelling humans go dungeoneering for treasure.

Crossover - A mish-mash of worlds, with Earth smack in the middle of the chaos. What could go wrong?

no worries

Posted Image

Mr Mysterio
Member Avatar
Waiting...
I've said this before, but I don't understand y'all who consistently dream about biologically plausible creatures, because the creatures that show up in my dreams are usually way more surreal. Here's a few:

- Gliding leeches that had infested our home. Their bodies were dark, but they had white, silky-looking "fins" that they used to glide from host to host. I should note that I only recently learned that gliding leeches actually are a thing, and that I didn't know they existed before I had this dream.

- A creature that looked like a small gazelle, only with humanoid hands in place of hooves (which it still walked on). It walked silently through the halls of an empty school. It moved slowly, and didn't seem aggressive in any way. It didn't seem dangerous, but it gave me a sense of being... powerful? Like it was something to be respected? If that makes any sense at all.

- A giant Siamese fighting fish inside an equally giant fish bowl. It had very large, almost bulbous eyes, and swam in slow hypnotic circles inside its bowl. Looking deep into its eyes would transport you to a small door in a wall, behind which was a person that would truthfully answer any one question about anything, so long as you slid five cents underneath the door.

- A creature called the Goatfly that could make sentient cocoons that looked and acted like human beings so convincingly that the cocoon itself thought it was a real person. I never actually got to see what a Goatfly actually looked like or what it did once it hatched, but I was given the impression that it was a very deadly and cunning creature.
Dumb Quotes

no worries

Posted Image

Mr Mysterio
Member Avatar
Waiting...
I dreamed last night that I was in this huge library (one could say that this is me reading posts from the Library project too much but this library wasn't infinite at all), only there was no roof. It was like the roof of the library had been ripped off or something, because at some point the walls, distant and far away, just ended, and the sky was visible.

There were a bunch of very tall people wearing robes walking around. Occasionally, they would reach out a hand to touch one of the books but I never saw them read any. Their skin was a sort of decomposed-ish yellowy-brown, they were all bald, and their necks were unnaturally elongated. They were completely silent, not even making footsteps, and had what looked like pennies or coins over their eyes. They were kind of creepy, but overall they weren’t menacing or threatening in any way. A few of them nodded politely at me, but that’s the only acknowledgement i got from any of them.

The reason everyone was silent was because the library had “predators” in it. I never actually saw one, but it was the kind of thing where Dream-Me already knew about them somehow, so I still knew what they looked like, which was like paper-mache spiders. They sometimes would crawl around like insects, and sometimes they floated in the breeze, because they were as light as paper and could do that. But most importantly is they hunted primarily by sound and touch, because they were blind, having no eyes. One would come along and rip a chunk out of you, and your cries of pain would inevitably attract a swarm of them. Because of this the robed people were big on training themselves to deal with great amounts of pain with complete silence.

Scattered around the library were these little “oases”, which were basically small, fancy little indoor gardens, complete with a lily pond, benches, flowering shrubs, and a single tree, growing over the pond, that grew fruit that looked vaguely like pomegranates, but I couldn't be sure. Every single oasis in this library was exactly the same, down to the number of lily pads in the pond.

I successfully made it to an oasis without any paper predators hearing me, and found a single robed man standing in there, eating a pomegranate. His neck wasn't quite as long as the others, and his robe a little more form-fitting, but he had the same pigmentation and coins over his eyes as the others. Without saying a single word (which was normal for them), he handed me a book which looked like it’d been made out of newspaper clippings somehow. On the front cover was the title, “an explanation”, all in lowercase.

Unfortunately, I woke up before I could open it up and read it.
Dumb Quotes

no worries

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Spec · Next Topic »
Add Reply