Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dream Creatures; Speculation of the subconcious!
Topic Started: Dec 10 2011, 01:34 PM (4,655 Views)
T.Neo
Member Avatar
Translunar injection: TLI
Last night, I had a dream. It was pretty muddled up and confusing, but one part of it that I do remember, was a peculiar organism swimming in an aquarium tank.

As I recall it, the creature was flat; almost two dimensional. Perhaps like a rubber or plastic sheet 5 millimeters or so thick. Its front end was roughly oval shaped, and its rear was asymmetric, with two fins; a larger main fin, and a smaller secondary fin on one side. It appeared to propel itself forward by curling up and then rapidly extending these fins, rocking slightly as it swam.

The creature posessed two eyes, one on either side of the front end. Each eye had a black 'pupil' and featureless white sclera or iris around the pupil. These features appeared to be almost painted or printed on to the organism. The rest of the creature was black or deeply dark purple, with lighter purple spots over the body. On one side, the fins were featureless. On the other, it appeared that a pattern, similar to that on the underside of a shoe, was embossed into the organism.

The organism was perhaps 20 cm long from the tip of the front end to the tip of the back fin. There were no other obvious features. The tank it was swimming in had black rear walls, was presumably lit from above by incandescant lights. The bottom of the tank seemed to be covered in a sort of hay or other dead plant matter.

This is where it gets weird though: the tank seemed to be located inside a library, and seemed to contain an octopus and a kind of a squid as well (it wasn't really a squid, but more like an octopus with outstretched tentacles in one direction), though they were sitting at the bottom of the tank while this... thing was swimming around. There didn't seem to be any connection between the two and the... thing felt like it was definitely very alien.

It also felt quite familiar, as if I had seen it earlier and made a note of it. Perhaps it featured earlier in the dream and I simply don't remember, or this was one of those wacky psychological gimmicks.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Attached to this post:
Attachments: DreamCritter01.png (22.2 KB)
Edited by T.Neo, Dec 10 2011, 01:39 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jheuloh
Member Avatar
Newborn
Fascinating creature ye have there, T. Neo. Something about it says "soft-bodied invertebrate" to me, but I don't know what group would be an appropriate candidate for modifying their limbs into a single large fin.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Zorcuspine
Member Avatar
You never cease to suprise me blue hedgehog

Reminds me of a time I dreampt I went to a zoo where there was an basal four flippered whale (looked a lot like dorudon if I remember correctly) with two sets of eyes XD

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
Very interesting. Would you mind if we posted descriptions of our own creatures.

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Translunar injection: TLI
Quote:

Would you mind if we posted descriptions of our own creatures.

Not at all, in fact I posted this in the hope that people would post about their own dream organisms. :)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
I had an interesting dream organism like a year ago (s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/3837295/), but not many recently. Mostly my subconscious has been preoccupied with what seems to be a fear of the pizza place not getting my order right. When I was young I incorporated a lot of dream things into my projects, but they were mostly of the terracentric variety. The only one I can distinctly remember at the moment was a race of hornless rhinos with bat-like noses that lived in a land in which the sun was in an eternal setting position. If I were to justify it I'd say it was a tidally locked planet.
Edited by Mike, Dec 10 2011, 04:50 PM.

Fakey
Member Avatar
FALCON CONFIRMED
I'd say it might be some sort of worm.

Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
two days ago, I had a dream in which I wandered trough post-apocaliptic world (but nothing like a Fallout -> barren deserts and such,but something more like Pripjat town) and there was a herd of strange boars,they were rather tall and had still familiar boar faces (though with very slightly longer snout) I suppose they were browsers, I might use them for a holiday competetion :D

Fakey
Member Avatar
FALCON CONFIRMED
Reinboars. SUWHEET.

jasonguppy
Member Avatar
Überdino
I can't draw my dream critters, or i get freked out. Once i had a dream of a guy covered in curved thorns and his skin poofed out lie roses on his arms and legs and torso.

Also, tiny little mammals with tentacles that were eaten by a hexapedal T. Rex

Nanotyranus
Member Avatar
I'm going back to basics.
The only dream organisms I've had are real things, or the digimon known as Numemon. Maybe metal or weirdified.
The weirdest creature I've had is a whale sitting at the bottom of a slide. Which eats children.

jasonguppy
Member Avatar
Überdino
heheheheheeheh

Just Watcher
Member Avatar
Superhuman
My creatures were quite interesting indeed.
I was in somekind of yellow craft. I was either under water or inside a blue cloud gas-giant. There were two kinds of creatures. One was a tubular creature. It was transparent and had grooves running down it, spiral-like. They traveled by "rolling" through the water/air. The other creature was an opaque manta-like creature with a tubular head yet no mouth or any other features. The expanse of the area was absolutely massive, yet featureless.

This was one of those dreams that I will always remember, even though I had it almost 2 years ago now.
Edited by Just Watcher, Dec 11 2011, 02:45 PM.

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Was it perhaps a yellow submarine? ngaaa (I need to find better transliterations of my lame-laugh-onamatopoeias)

Exclamation of joy! I just remembered an even better bunch of dream creatures I had.

It was either a postapocalyptic future or a trip to the american midwest, can't remember. I find a sole building in the midst of an otherwise blank sun-setting horizon, and start driving towards it in my jeep. Upon entering the building, I find it's incredibly large, empty and dark on the inside. There are a few spotlights illuminating a guy at an elevated counter and some tables with baklava on them. Next to the counter is a stand with a bunch of varieties of gum. I was looking for bacon-flavored. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw this fish floating in the air.

The fish was white and had a wide mouth. It had no dorsal fin or anything fancy, just a smooth chassis with two dolphin-like pectoral fins and a dolphin-like tailfin. Its face was really flattened and whatnot. I drew these once, along with theorized internal organ placement, but I can't find the document anymore. It was really friendly-looking, and also very rigid. Like, it didn't look like it had any blubber on it, it looked like it was made of something delicate, like paper, stretched over a rigid skeleton. Every once in a while it would extend its respiratory structures, which were otherwise concealed in a pouch.

Then I saw another one, though this one looked like a barracuda. It then situated itself upright, so it was facing the sky, and it too extended its respiratory structures. However, this one's gills were much larger and intricate, and unfolded into a beautiful spiraling fractal pattern that surrounded the organism, looking much like a christmas tree. I need to draw these guys out again, maybe even incorporate them into one of my worlds.

Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
floating fishes reminds me "sparrow-ancistrus" which I had in one dream where I traveled trough some hilly area with some rocks. They were very ancistrus-like yet they had much larger pectoral fins and had much more developed armor.I suppose they grazed on lichens and mosses,which forms a great colonies on rocks

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Spec · Next Topic »
Add Reply