Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is fast, free, and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Ceretopsian "discovered" in Museum Collection
Topic Started: Dec 6 2011, 01:10 PM (424 Views)
Exogenesis
Member Avatar
Newborn
Pretty remarkable that specimens of this dinosaur were laying in NHM's collection for nearly a century and were almost completely forgotten about.
New Horned Dinosaur
My deviantart account
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
EPIC FAIL :(:
"We've started a cult about a guy's liver, of course we're going to demand that you give us an incredibly scientific zombie apocalypse." -Nanotyranus

Posted Image

Spugpow
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
This is actually a fairly regular occurrence. In fact, you could argue that the main function of museums is to stockpile specimens for later examination.
My deviantart page: http://amnioticoef.deviantart.com/

FallingWhale
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Russwallac
Dec 6 2011, 04:19 PM
EPIC FAIL :(:
It's an epic fail to write down 'triceratops' on a new skull fragment and put down enough about it that it is later reclassified under a subfamily that didn't exist at the time yet is effectively identical to what you thought it was?
Spoiler: click to toggle

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
That thing looks nothing like a triceratops. Look at the picture, man.
"We've started a cult about a guy's liver, of course we're going to demand that you give us an incredibly scientific zombie apocalypse." -Nanotyranus

Posted Image

Rick Raptor
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Just imagine if those fossils were researched just a few years after getting brought there... Then today every dinosaur fan would know about "those retro Ceratopsians like Triceratops, Styracosaurus and Spinops".

That animal could have become way more well-known than Pachyrhinosaurus.
[My DeviantArt account]

FallingWhale
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Russwallac
Dec 7 2011, 08:41 AM
That thing looks nothing like a triceratops. Look at the picture, man.
They had an uncleaned brow fragment. Maddening as it sounds, 86 million years damages most things.

lamna
Member Avatar
καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει

They thought a fragment of a similar species to triceratops, then put the unimportant fragment to one side and did other things?

That is a truly epic fail, I'm sure they will sing songs of this for a thousand years. Frankly I'm surprised the staff has not all committed seppuku.
T.Neo

Are nipples or genitals necessary, lamna?
[flash=500,450] Video Magic! [/flash]
Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FallingWhale
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
lamna
Dec 7 2011, 03:53 PM
Frankly I'm surprised the staff has not all committed seppuku.
They're too busy being dead in the first place.

jasonguppy
Member Avatar
Überdino
M friend parodied i song about something like this...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Add Reply