Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dinosaur boners... I mean bones!; No seriously, it's about the pe... pelvis.
Topic Started: Nov 8 2011, 07:46 PM (671 Views)
Flisch
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
So, everyone knows these dinosaur reconstructions with that huge pelvis sticking out from the base of their tail. (Mainly, because all reconstructions are like that.)

Now, usually I'm not one to question reconstructions that have been used for decades and never changed, but this is really bugging me... What the hell is its purpose? It doesn't seem that there are any muscles attached to it, and it also seems to get in the way when the animal would try to sit/lay down. So, why is it there in the first place, and why is it never covered in tissue in any reconstructions?

Image attached, if you don't know what I am talking about. >_>
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 800px_Mantellisaurus_atherfieldensis_Steveoc.jpg (26.27 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mish
Member Avatar
Hating my ISP
Robert Bakker theorized that raptors used that pubic bone as a seat. While it was interesting, if you are in possession of a bony backside like myself, sitting on it is not a picnic.

Good question. I always figured that if they rested, they settled more on their sides, because of that bone. *goes hunting for Raptor Red illustrations*

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
It seems to play a role in leg muscle attachment, but I don't know why exactly.

Venatosaurus
Member Avatar
HAUS OF SPEC
Well it's possible that bone was much more well padded in real-life, either with fat or thick muscle. It could've also served an an anchor point for fat reserves. In reality it could've served a function beyond our imagination...

Flisch
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Could it be that the leg muscles attached to the bone and basically obscures the upper leg, similarly to how the upper leg usually doesn't stick out of the body in most mammals? This would of course mean, that dinosaurs were slightly more bulky than recent reconstructions make them out to be. >_>

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
They also seem to play a role in housing the guts; ornithischians and therizinosaurs famously have the backward's pointing pubis, but sauropods, oviraptors, troodontids and ornithomimosaurs have the pubis pointing forewards.

Empyreon
Member Avatar
Are you plausible?

Am I way off in theorizing that it could play a role in copulation? Sort of a strut on which reproductive organs can sit so they aren't tucked away too deep to access?

I'm looking around for bird anatomy pictures to see why bird hips have a reverse pointing pelvic bone and I found this website. It points out that the bird pelvis actually plays a role in the tail musculature. Now, since ornithischians aren't descendant of modern birds the structure is convergent and doesn't necessarily serve the same purpose, but I think the comparison is informative.

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
While I think it would explain why maniraptors had such a hip arrangement, I doubt it is the answer for the ornithischian arrangement, which don't seem to have had an unique leg musculature arrangement.

Kamineigh
Member Avatar
HOENN CONFIRMED
Flisch
Nov 8 2011, 07:46 PM
So, everyone knows these dinosaur reconstructions with that huge pelvis sticking out from the base of their tail. (Mainly, because all reconstructions are like that.)

Now, usually I'm not one to question reconstructions that have been used for decades and never changed, but this is really bugging me... What the hell is its purpose? It doesn't seem that there are any muscles attached to it, and it also seems to get in the way when the animal would try to sit/lay down. So, why is it there in the first place, and why is it never covered in tissue in any reconstructions?

Image attached, if you don't know what I am talking about. >_>

That reconstruction is inaccurate. Has been ever since that dinosaur mummy was found. To paraphrase how Bob Bakker put it "This dinosaur had a fatter ass than we previously thought." I know this because I remember when one of my idols says dinosaur and fatass in the same sentence. But yeah, it's been proven that dinosaurs had much thicker tails than what your picture shows.

Flisch
Nov 9 2011, 04:45 AM
This would of course mean, that dinosaurs were slightly more bulky than recent reconstructions make them out to be. >_>

WOW! YOU FIGURED IT OUT ALL BY YOURSELF! HERE, HAVE BISCUT LASSIE!

jasonguppy
Member Avatar
Überdino
JohnFaa
Nov 8 2011, 08:09 PM
It seems to play a role in leg muscle attachment, but I don't know why exactly.
HE DOESN'T KNOW WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JOHNFAA DOESN'T KNOW!!!!!!!!
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
If you know then explain, Mr All Caps.

lamna
Member Avatar

No you see the joke is, you have an answer for everything paleontological, so if you don't know something must be wrong.

jasonguppy
Member Avatar
Überdino
^exactamundo

Dragon
Member Avatar
Choose your words wisely, or be roasted.
It would have most definitely been an anchor for the inner leg muscles like our vestigial tailbones. Without it, these dinosaurs probably wouldn't have been able to walk or run, or do anything really. There would definitely nave been some sort of fat or thick muscle on or near that hip bone, since it's pretty awkward for them to sit on that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Add Reply