Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Javan Rhinoceros declared extinct in mainland Asia
Topic Started: Nov 4 2011, 12:03 AM (1,341 Views)
Exogenesis
Member Avatar
Newborn
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/10/111028-vietnam-javan-rhinos-extinct-species-science-animals/?plckOnPage=1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/survey-of-endangered-javan-rhinos-finds-far-fewer-females-than-males-in-indonesian-park/2011/10/28/gIQA2QYzOM_story.html

Whats even more disturbing is that they were "rediscovered" in Vietnam after previously thought to be extinct, yet they were poached anyway.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Spugpow
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
I read that and was sad :( .

I wonder if we who spend so much time thinking about nature ought to pool some cash and donate to a conservation group...
Offline Profile Goto Top

lamna
Member Avatar
Elsa? Do you want to overthrow the Kaiser?

This was inevitable. The Vietnamese population has been tiny for so long, it was a dead subspecies walking.

And we should do somthing, and more than just putting "RIP Vietnamese Rhinoceros" in out signatures.

The Sumatran Tiger Trust is a good charity where very little of your money goes on administration, and is they do help the other animals of Sumatra, tigers are just the flagship species.
http://www.tigertrust.info/sumatran_tiger_home.asp
Offline Profile Goto Top

T.Neo
Member Avatar
Translunar injection: TLI
I hate poachers. If I had to name a single group of people I'd want to purge from all reality, it'd be poachers.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lamna
Member Avatar

I used to, but I can't bring myself to hate them. I hate the people who create a market for it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
This is why I don't like humans... <_<
Offline Profile Goto Top

lamna
Member Avatar

Other animals don't give a damn when they wipe another species out.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Flisch
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Damn right, why should we?
Online Profile Goto Top

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
"Other animals" don't cause mass extinctions on a ridiculous scale due to their laziness and complete lack of foresight. <_<
Offline Profile Goto Top

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Besides, other animals are just doing what they do. We have a choice on the impact we make on this planet.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
Other animals are even less responsible. Wolves need to be regularly hunted to ensure the elks that they share their habitats with don't disappear.

Hating humans is laughable when, all things considered, we're still the only species with a system dedicated to protect the weaker members of our communities, while most other species let the weak die.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Flisch
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Yeah, it's not like animals choose to live in tune with nature. If they could they'd be after us. (Case in point: Crazy rampaging elephants in africa.)

Also, it is all kinds of stupid to apply human moralily to animals... after all we don't apply chicken morality to ourselves. (Bubawk!)

Russwallac
Nov 4 2011, 11:30 AM
"Other animals" don't cause mass extinctions on a ridiculous scale due to their laziness and complete lack of foresight. <_<

I'd wager to say that a poacher has more foresight, knowing that he'll make a good fortune with whatever he killed/chopped off the living animal than those treehuggers who don't even think about how to feed how-many-millions and millions of people on earth without somehow damaging/altering the ecosystem.

Oh, and I'd wager that 99% of all extinctions are caused directly or indirectly by other species.
Online Profile Goto Top

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
So, trashing the entire ecology of the planet is okay with you, then? Why don't we just nuke the whole damn thing and be done with it. It'll get us where we're going faster.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
Strawmanning: every misanthrope millitant environmentalist does it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Flisch
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
The Java rhinoceros = Suddenly the entire ecology of this planet.
Online Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Central · Next Topic »
Locked Topic