Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Evolutionary Continuum: Species Concepts
Topic Started: Jul 17 2008, 02:16 PM (5,697 Views)
Livyatan

We have finally entered the stage of the project in which we create the actual species for this project. As an overview: this world takes place 15 million years hence. At this point in time, man is extinct and has been for a while so the Earth has been given time to heal. Sea levels are slightly higher and several changes in geography have occurred. North America and South America have separated. Baja California has slid slightly north, becoming a small island off the coast of western North America. The Mediterranean Sea has closed up and dried, replaced by a massive mountain range. East Africa has split off from Africa, becoming an independent landmass as did Madagascar.

Here are the biomes that we will be producing species for:

Biome List

North America / Caribbean
Caribbean Islands (tropical forest and savanna)
Atlantic Isles/Iceland (tropical forest, savanna, steppe, volcanic slopes, and tundra)
California (temperate forest, scrubland, and desert)
Arctic Tundra (tundra and boreal forest)

South America
Amazon basin (grasslands and tropical forest)
Galapagos (rainforest, mangrove forest, and desert)
Patagonia (scrub, temperate grassland, and savanna)
Andes (temperate and tropical mountains)

Eurasia
Mediterranean basin (salt fields, marshes, and temperate mountains)
Sri Lanka/Nearby Islands (monsoon forest)
British Isles (temperate forest and open woodland)
Southeast Asia (tropical rainforest and bamboo forest)

Africa
Madagascar (tropical rainforest, monsoon forest, scrub, and savanna)
Congo basin (tropical rainforest)
Sahara (savanna and mixed scrub)
East Africa (tropical rainforest, savanna, and desert)

Australasia / Pacific Islands
Outback (savanna, scrub, and desert)
Hawaii (tropical forest, volcanic slopes, and savanna)
New Zealand (temperate rainforest and mountains)
Temperate Australia (temperate forest, grassland, and mountains)

Antarctic
Antarctic Mainland (tundra and limited boreal forest)

Oceans
Sargasso Sea (open ocean and kelp forests)
Great Barrier Reef (open ocean and coral reefs)
Weddell Sea (open ocean and kelp forests)
Ethiopian Sea (open ocean)

How many species per biome? We will probably have around 6 to 9 species per individual biome (which you can find above). Since there are 25 biomes, we will have between 150 and 225 species total. Please be aware that not all species will be accepted. Although we should have an illustration for every species, you can still submit concepts. Professional and clean illustrations are preferred, and you will find that I have high standards. Have fun!

Note: When submitting a species concept you should start a new topic within this forum.
Edited by Livyatan, Jul 17 2008, 03:28 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pantheraleo3
Member Avatar
I'm illegal in 17 states!
I think this is a stupid question but, Do we have to post our ideas in this topic or we need to create another one?

Livyatan

I think to keep it more organized, each concept should have a topic.

pantheraleo3
Member Avatar
I also think that we should have a map, because I don't know which part of California is the desert and which part is the temperate forest
Edited by pantheraleo3, Jul 17 2008, 03:57 PM.

Livyatan

pantheraleo3
Jul 17 2008, 03:30 PM
I also think that we should have a map, because I don't know witch part of California is the desert and witch part is the temperate forest
(That would be "which" not "witch".)

I am going to be making the map so no worries. And by California that is Baja not mainland.

pantheraleo3
Member Avatar
lol. Sorry.

Cynovolans
Member Avatar
Servant to Empress Min
Is this for everyone? If so then maybe I will think of something.

Livyatan

Yes, of course everyone may participate. Of course some individuals may cause trouble, so I may have to keep them out of it.

PousazPower
Member Avatar
Cladistic Kid
Notodraco variegata the giant monitor is in the works for the Australian Outback! Also, should we include a little bit about its evolutionary history?
Edited by PousazPower, Jul 17 2008, 06:53 PM.

Livyatan

PousazPower
Jul 17 2008, 06:53 PM
Notodraco variegata the giant monitor is in the works for the Australian Outback! Also, should we include a little bit about its evolutionary history?
Sure. I'm not asking that you follow a specific set of guidelines for the descriptions, just that you be descriptive as possible. Also, will you be making the illustration yourself?

Sliver Slave
Member Avatar
I'm going back to basics.

Paleognath
Jul 17 2008, 06:27 PM
Yes, of course everyone may participate. Of course some individuals may cause trouble, so I may have to keep them out of it.
Who could possibly cause trouble?

Also, I just checked in this topic for the first time, and bam, full blown project going.
Edited by Sliver Slave, Jul 17 2008, 09:49 PM.

PousazPower
Member Avatar
Cladistic Kid
Paleognath
Jul 17 2008, 06:54 PM
PousazPower
Jul 17 2008, 06:53 PM
Sure. I'm not asking that you follow a specific set of guidelines for the descriptions, just that you be descriptive as possible. Also, will you be making the illustration yourself?
Yes, to the best of my ability to draw giant lacies!

Sliver Slave
Member Avatar

Darn. I can't draw. really, I can't I also don't own a scanner. Is a picture absolutely necessary? Because the best I can do is a picture in ms paint.

Livyatan

Sliver Slave
Jul 22 2008, 09:12 PM
Darn. I can't draw. really, I can't I also don't own a scanner. Is a picture absolutely necessary? Because the best I can do is a picture in ms paint.
I have said previously that picture are not required to submit an idea, but that every idea will need one eventually.

Sliver Slave
Member Avatar

Would I have to make said picture?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Evolutionary Continuum · Next Topic »
Add Reply