Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pangaea; An Earthlike planet with unearthly creatures...
Topic Started: Jul 30 2011, 08:15 AM (5,061 Views)
Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Pangaea is a very Earth-like planet approximately twenty light-years from Earth. Colonized in 2489 a.d., it was considered a prime example of a planet completely habitable to humans, primarily due to its size, climate, and atmospheric composition. However, despite the planet's similarities to Earth (aside from the fact that it has only one large landmass, hence its name), its lifeforms couldn't be more different...

Spoiler: click to toggle

PHYLUM BILATERATA

PHYLUM TRILATERATA

PHYLUM PHYTOZOATA

PHYLUM OMNIPHYTA

PHYLUM RADIOPHYTA
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Archozoan.jpg (39.71 KB)
Attachments: Pteromorph.jpg (34.96 KB)
Attachments: worldgen.cgi.gif (69.36 KB)
Attachments: Xenopiscine.jpg (50.68 KB)
Attachments: Discozoan.jpg (90.76 KB)
Attachments: Triopteran.jpg (68.99 KB)
Attachments: Gnathopod.png (135.69 KB)
Edited by Russwallac, Sep 6 2013, 08:03 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Always good to see a new project, but there are a few things wrong with this. First of all, this:

Quote:

PHYLUM:CHORDATA

Now, this might just be a pet peeve of mine, but I personally don't think chordates will be very common in the universe. That's not to say they're implausible, one of my main races is a chordate. But when you start with "its life-forms couldn't be more different" and the only information given thus far is a couple of latin words, the first of which is "chordata", it doesn't send the most xenocentric of vibes.

Now, I like to give people benefit of the doubt, so perhaps everything else about this project is revolutionary and amazing, but if I were you I would put a bit more information into the introduction. Also, remember, the point of cladistics is to classify relationships between species. But seeing as we have no information on any of the species other than that one of them has good eyesight, the classification is pointless. I would start out with a more specific physical description of the bauplan, (how many eyes, limbs, positioning of eyes, brain, and mouth, details on skeletal structure, et cetera), because that's the most important part. If you have any drawings, please show them.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
I wasn't finished, I had to leave in a hurry. I've updated it with more information now.

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Much better. The cutaneous reproduction is iffy, as is the two-spine system. The spines are iffy because they would allow for much less freedom of movement and would be much less efficient. Despite this I believe they are still plausible, but you must keep the mechanical limitations in mind while designing organisms. As for the reproduction, it too seems inefficient, however this is the kind of inefficiency that could be easily solved through more classical means of reproduction, and hence it seems implausible that it would not evolve these traits. However, the fact that the reproductive glands originated on the sides of the organisms means you could make it so there are several sexual organs on the sides of each individual, but I maintain that after a certain level of evolutionary development, internalized reproduction would come into action because it conserves biological mass better.

As for the plants, breathing only works if there's a circulatory system, meaning the plant needs quite a bit of energy if it's going to sustain all that movement. Perhaps the vast majority of plants on this planet are carnivorous?

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
The difference between "plant" and "animal" on Pangaea is a bit iffy; the plants are a bit more like corals in a sense. Many do eat meat, however... Poor triflies... (oops, spoiler!)

At any rate, the double spine is mainly to reinforce the body, and isn't all that flexible. Not that this matters much, as most Pangaean chordates have fairly short and inflexible bodies anyway.

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
As for reproduction, the two are right next to each other, so very few spores are wasted...

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
I think I'm gonna reconfigure this so that it's easier to understand and update...

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Added a new species!

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
By the way, I do plan to upload pics of these things (once I get home and get my scanner working, that is...)

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Added mastheads and lilyskimmers! Biodiversity FTW!

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Added the pteromorpha class and the windwraith species!

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Added sea ghouls!

Empyreon
Member Avatar
Are you plausible?

Quote:

Archozoans are the dominant lifeforms on Pangaea, essentially its equivalent of mammals.

Technically speaking, the dominant life form on Earth is the microbe. It's been around for pretty much the entire career of terrestrial life and outnumbers all other life forms based on just about every comparable criterion.

Quote:

Archozoans are, as a rule, warm-blooded, egg-laying, land-dwelling creatures. They all share the same basic body plan, which can be broken down into sections:

I would like to see a visual depiction of archozoan anatomy. The description helps paint the picture to a degree, but an actual picture showing the two-head configuration and how they sit on the neck.

Quote:

the ends of the toes are encased in protective sheathes of keratin, similar to a shell.

Or like hooves, maybe?

Quote:

Instead, they are a pair of long, cartilaginous rods, which hold bulbous fat deposits at the end.

What purpose do the fat deposits serve? Are they ubiquitous?

Quote:

the male will begin to release clouds of spores, which stick to the slimy glands that swell on a female's sides when she is ready to breed.

Could some species take advantage of this method by fertilizing several females at once?

Quote:

The eggs are small, and covered in hairlike roots that absorb nutrients from the soil, aiding the developing young.

This is an interesting and novel method of fetal nutrition. I imagine breeding grounds are chosen for their fertile soil and are tenaciously protected by parents.

Quote:

WINDWRAITH (Necropteryx nox)

I think this is my favorite so far. I want to see a picture! :)

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
Bizarrely, I was already thinking a lot of what you just said! And yes, pics are on the way. (If you can't wait, I have a SPORE version of a pampas raptor. My username is the same as here.)

Russwallac
Member Avatar
"Ta-da!"
First pic is up!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply