Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Creature ideas and brainstorming
Topic Started: Jun 25 2008, 12:07 PM (2,409 Views)
Huckbuck
Fetus
Ok, I think we need thread like this so we a) don't spam the main threads for each kingod, b) don't get a new thread for every idea about a creature. This thread deals with anything from posting ideas, to discussing the existing kingdoms aswell as new ones, discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere, questions, etc.

Heres a few ideas I posted before:

Posted Image

This is my first idea I posted, after some discussion Flisch convinced me that the legconfiguration wasn't favourable, though it gave him the idea to create amphibian legs for thoose insect guys.

Posted Image

The basic idea for this was some srot of flexible legs that could be used in caves for example, or jungles, where there might be hard to geth through sometimes, and benefitable to be long to reach food etc. I don't think we came to a conclusion about this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was my idea for a sort of flora that converted kinetic energy into chemical energy, though Ovis idea was better, I let him post that later.

Posted Image

My idea with this one was an organism that barely used any energy on movement, because it would be carried by the flow from the vents that it lived in, "hovering" with its mouth downwards filterfeeding for dead organisms (my idea was to have thermophilic algealike creatures live on the inside of the vent). The winglike parts can are used for keeping the organism in the midddle of the vent, and at the right depth.

Posted Image

My idea with this one was a creature that works kind of like a worm, except that it "drills" its way through the soil with its doubble helix shape. Flisch did not liek this one <.<

Posted Image

This was an idea for an early split off from the tripods, a whale like creature that filterfeeds in the channels under the skinplates.

Post your ideas :P

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Livyatan

The tripods are interesting. Flisch, were the creatures you showed me tripods?
The grand Livyatan on deviantArt: link

Posted Image

Flisch
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Will
Jun 25 2008, 04:10 PM
The tripods are interesting. Flisch, were the creatures you showed me tripods?
Which ones?

Saxophlutist
Member Avatar
Adult
Hmm, the double joint would be tricky to deal with from a biological standpoint. (The evolution of it would be difficult too.)
An upright gait might be a bit costly energy-wise.
Maybe it could work out well with a sprawling stance possibly.
The swimming one looks good though. The joint set up may allow some interesting new possibilities for aquatic travel.

Ooh! Vent fauna! Vent fauna will be fun to think of! (Of course, it's also the kind I deal with the most.)
Posted Image Posted Image

Huckbuck
Fetus
OK, heres 2 new ideas I had for the tripods:

Posted Image

The first thing is the anatomy of the legs. As you see the hind leg is big and strong and it almost jumps it ways forward when running fast. The two other legs are smaller and even though used to walk on as much as the back leg when walking slowly they are mostly for balance at higher speed. (EDIT: And to keep it from faceplanting) This also alows them to be used as weapons easily (if that would be needed) This legconfiguration would probably apply best to tripods living on savannahs or other open places, I'm thinking of niches such as kangaroo, lion, gaselle, etc.

My other idea is the head, which can be retracted. When the head is retracted the front part can be used to butt enemies. I'm not sure how the plates that protect the head when it is retracted would look like, but I posted an idea in the pic. I do think senses would be placed somewhere else then on the head on this one, since that would allow it to retract the head without getting any penalties such as not beeing able to see.

What do you think?
Edited by Huckbuck, Jun 27 2008, 05:37 PM.

Flisch
Member Avatar
Transhuman
I really like the idea with the retractable head!

Oviraptor
Member Avatar
Newborn
Most of our organisms do not appear to have eyes. I think this is the opposite of the way things would really work, since sight is efficient. So I think we give most of our base creatures at least a basic form sight. As you can see, sight developed very early one, and pretty much across the board: Evolution of the Eye.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Saxophlutist
Member Avatar
Adult
I have an idea for a filter feeding sessile bichordate. I'll see if I can sketch it up.

EDIT: Here it is!
Posted Image
Edited by Saxophlutist, Jul 12 2008, 08:32 PM.

Flisch
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Oviraptor
Jul 12 2008, 03:50 PM
Most of our organisms do not appear to have eyes. I think this is the opposite of the way things would really work, since sight is efficient. So I think we give most of our base creatures at least a basic form sight. As you can see, sight developed very early one, and pretty much across the board: Evolution of the Eye.
I know, I know, but I didn't show senses in my sketches, because I was building the general body concept and senses will be added later. Of course all the kingdoms will have eyes (except for the plants :P), though the tripods will have fewer species with eyes, as their continent is dark most of the time.

@Saxophlutist: That's a cool idea, though I'm not entirely sure, where the filtering appendages evolved from. Also this niche would be filled already by filtering radials, as it can be seen in this sketch. However, your concept gave me an idea for a different bichordata concept. Oh, and I have a question, where is the anchoring fin, I don't think I can see it in your sketch.

Saxophlutist
Member Avatar
Adult
The anchoring fin is hard to see because of the angle I used. :)

The filtering appendages were just little concepts with no actual structure planned for them, but they were derived from the bristles that were on the picture that was draw.

This was just a fun little exercise you don't have to use it. :)
I needed and excuse to finally get up and draw something.

Huckbuck
Fetus
I think instead of using thoose as filtering apendages it would be cool is you used them as some sort of tentacle like organs that it uses to capture prey :D

Huckbuck
Fetus
Ok, here are some random sketches I made a few days ago:

Posted Image

1. A detrivore flora that lives on the "dark side" of Spes (where the sun never shine. It isn't very complicated, the seeds are placed on the tip and are built to stick to the fur or the skin of fauna. Different types of this plant have sligthly different functions or looks, but this is how the main organism would work. I imagine this flora to be very common, almost like grass. It would probably be colored white since there is no sunlight where it grows.

2. A type of bubbleleaf. Nothing much to say about this then that I had this idea for how it spreads the seeds; Under the small leaves who that shape christmas tree like segments. Under theese segment, where they are connected to the trunk, there is some sort of nectar that attracts fauna. When crawling in under theese segments to get the nectar their back is covered in seeds that sits beneeth the small leaves.

3. Bubbleleaf trees. A big type of Bubbleleaf flora that have devoloped many very small bubbles. This is so that when one or two bubbles are destroyed that doesn't affect the flora. Theese big organisms grow so theres a layer almost like a floor built up of their leaves. This divides the forests into two parts, under and over the leaves, two ecosystems that are very different. Their stamen like organ is placed so that the seeds will attatch creatures living on the top of the bubbleleaves.

4. Related to 3. the biggest difference is that the trunk is branched.

Flisch
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Wow, I really like that idea with the two-layer-forest, however there is no side of Spes, which is 'always' dark. Twylight is only >mostly< covered in darkness, but even that side is exposed to light some time. :)

Huckbuck
Fetus
New idea:

Posted Image

Heres a new idea I had; A type of flora that gets its energy from a process similar to electromagnetic induction. The herb itself consists of 2 main parts, one which is in some way moved in and out of the other one to make the electromagnetic field to vary and thereby produce energy. The moveable part have areas with high concentration of magnetic iron and are attatched to the stationary part with stretchy protein strings. The stationary part has got quite advanced organs which can be compared to electromagnets, consisting of iron and copper. They produce energy when the magnetic iron in the moveable part is moving, which it then stores.

So that is the main idea, if you think it ain't to crazy there's a lot to work on, if it is to crazy then it stays a wierd idea :P

As you see the moveable part have developed different ways to be caught by the wind, but theres many other ways for this, I have loads of ideas for how theese could get their movement energy. Hope you like it :)

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar
You did WHAT in my abscence?!

Flisch
Aug 26 2008, 02:05 PM
Wow, I really like that idea with the two-layer-forest, however there is no side of Spes, which is 'always' dark. Twylight is only >mostly< covered in darkness, but even that side is exposed to light some time. :)
Wouldn't the side of Spes that always faces its orbiting planet always be dark?

You spelled "twilight" wrong. The way I typed it is how it is spelled.

Or did you mean to spell "twilight" as "Twylight"?
Edited by Canis Lupis, Oct 26 2008, 05:21 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Spes · Next Topic »
Add Reply