Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
accept
yes 8 (100%)
no 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 8
ursimeles; badgers have future
Topic Started: Aug 15 2010, 05:48 PM (568 Views)
Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
Ursimeles holoarctica

Generally genus ursimeles resembles Spectacled Bear with longer,slightly badger like head.
This species is most succesfull from genus Ursimeles,lives from coast of atlantic ocean to siberian forests.
U.Holoarctica have very rich fur,especially in northern populations.Basic colouring of wool ranging from dark grey to black,with lighter head and black spot in eye area.Some northern populations are able to change its colour in winter to white(except eye spots).Siberian population is even brown instead of grey/black.
Basicaly around 60% of its diet consist plant products and fungi,Northern populations are more carnivorous.
They are not active hunters,but if they find carcass or young of other animals,they eat it.Also they intimidate other carnivores from their kills.
Males are typicaly solitar animals,with big teritories.Every other male in they teritory means teritorial fights,but they tolerate females.Females are more social,they are generally smaller than males and live in small groups,about 2-4 animals.They still dig burrows,where they sleep,but if they find cave or other natural penthousemthey use it instead of burrow.Winter sleeping of Ursimeles is generaly not deep,some specimens even sleep only during deep winter.They mate in summer and give birth in early spring months.Females are adult in 4-5 years,males in 6-7.

some subspecies:

Ursimeles holoarctica englandie
Black bear sized,present only in britania

Ursimeles holoarctica holoarctica

Basic subspecies from mainland europe,slightly bigger than black bear,but its not big as brown bear.

Ursimeles holoarctica orientalis

This is most widespread asian subspecies,big as brown bear and live in asian boreal forests.Around 40% specimens of this subspecies are brown instead of black.

Genus Ursimeles also have other species

Ursimeles Letalis
Only species which live in new world.Its generally big as Kodiak bear and its most carnivorous Ursimeles.

Ursimeles Minimus
Smallest species,only 1,2 m long and 70 cm tall with reddish colouring of fur and two black stripes in eye area.More herbivorous than other ursimeles.Common in temperate areas of east asia.

Ursimeles Monticola

Slightly smaller than american black bear,this silvery species live in many bigger eurasian mountains.

P.S could somebody correct my latin.
P.P.S picture or lineart coming soon.
Edited by Bexi, Aug 15 2010, 06:32 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pando
Member Avatar
Obey or I'll send you to the moon
What's its ancestor?

Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
badgers from genus meles,mos likely meles meles

Pando
Member Avatar
Posted Image
That seems like a good species.

I'm not sure about the British species though.

Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
its subspecies of U.holoarctica,not a species

i am thinking about related genus,with coulpe species living in africa and west asia

picture coming soon,i am going to croatia,so next week ;)
Edited by Bexi, Aug 17 2010, 03:49 PM.

Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
pool added

Pando
Member Avatar
ACCEPTED
Your species has been accepted in the Evolutionary Continuum.

SIngemeister
Member Avatar
Hive Tyrant of the Essee Swarm

I'd probably suggest you differentiate some of these into separate species. Especially the American and British ones.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Accepted Species · Next Topic »
Add Reply