Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[Member Project] Yasbp
Topic Started: Jun 10 2010, 04:33 PM (11,346 Views)
Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
http://sites.google.com/site/yasbp3/

yaSBP takes place in a hypothetical future in which humans make contact with aliens. There are a few intelligent forms in the neighborhood (I'm thinking four or five), though only two are fully thought through, another is somewhat thought through, and i haven't started on any of the others. The two that are somewhat ready are the wapaama (name will most likely change n the near future) and the vegrandii. Thousands of years ago the vegrandii came to our galaxy by way of a natural wormhole. They stayed in our galaxy for quite a while and colonized several planets, though they only came across one planet with intelligent life, the wapaama home planet. The vegrandii attempted to interact with the wapaama and learn about their culture, and they were immediately hailed as demi-gods by the wapaama.

I'm thinking that the vegrandii come from a weakless universe, meaning that overall their universe has less heavy elements such as oxygen. because of this, most animals breath hydrogen like that lociferan recently discovered. hydrogen as you all know is highly reactive, so doesn't stay in the planets atmosphere for long without combusting. thus, these hydrogen breathers all live underwater, where their air cannot catch fire. the vegrandii are the only intelligent being in their known universe that is not an aquatic hydrogen-breather, and thus are the only ones known to have advanced far enough to spaceflight. they thus were very excited to meet the wapaama, another oxygen-breathing land animal. however i am unsure if the current model for the universe supports the idea of a stable weakless universe, as i believe they have found that weak force is intricately connected with em force, which sucks because i was also thinking of the vegrandii communicating through radio waves. but all of this, including the idea of hydrogen-breathing forms, is still very speculative, and until i am fully confident that these things work the way i think they do, then these ideas will remain non-canon

Anyways, the wormhole connecting our two universes started to collapse, and the vegrandii had to leave before the thing closed and they would be stuck there forever. Some vegrandii stayed behind, but they were hobos so society in a sense restarted for them and they lost all technological advancement. the wapaama eventually develop into a spacefaring race of their own, and they soon discover that there are several inhabitable planets that share similar fauna to their own. fauna that only appeared in their own fossil record around three thousand years ago. they discover data banks, abandoned cities, all that stuff. every planet, every system seemed to be touched by the vegrandii.

with time they meet other intelligent life, and lacking the prime directive, they introduce them to spaceflight. the wapaama communicate through strobing four colors on their faces, and the other beings are taught to communicate with these four colors in other ways (for example - humans are given gloves with one color on one palm, another on the back of the hand, then different colors on the other hand). with time, humans come into the scene. humans come from a planet of relatvely high gravity for an intelligent being, and a relatively cold one. the humans are unusual because of their "sardine like structure" (they can fit into tight spaces conviniently and be packed tightly) and because of their "psychic capabilities" (communication through sound is nonexistant and unheard of from other races, so they consider humans psychic, psychic sardines). because of this, humans are mainly hired by other races as assasins, and are considered shifty or somewhat scary because of this.

i dont think the vegrandii ever come back. it also might be worthwhile to mention that our galaxy is referred to as what would be best translated as "the chicken's desert". this is due to the ancient myths and legends of the wapaama, which i would state in great detail if my computer were not on 9% battery.

so, any thoughts?
Edited by Mike, Jun 11 2010, 01:55 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Empyreon
Member Avatar
Are you plausible?

Do the wapaama and the creatures of yaSBP share evolutionary ancestry, or is are their similar leg configurations a matter of convergence?

Also, the post is kind of difficult to read as one long paragraph. You might want to try dividing it up into smaller segments.

alienboy
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Hey, Amazing art! How do you create it? I'm sorry, but it is finals week so I will have to read the post to go with the creatures later. I can't wait to see where this project goes! Oh, Welcome to the site!

Rhob
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Just looked at your site. The artwork is awesome! I think you're off to a great start. :)

One small request -- could you break your OP up into some paragraphs? Right now it's kind of a tl;dr eyechart.

Hope to see more from you in the future!

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Yeah, sorry about the run-on paragraph, I always hate it when people do that, but I do it all the time. It's fixed now. Also, yes, most of the creatures shown come from the wapaama's planet and share common ancestry.

As for how I created the art... it depends on the picture. For the vegrandii bust and wapaama drawing I simply scanned a drawing into gimp, made a new layer set on multiply, and colored it in. For the not-sos I just took a blank white page in gimp and burned an outline, then filled in the outline with shadows. For the predatory not-so, I made a new layer on multiply and colored it in, and then flattened the image and put it through an oilify filter. For the flashworm I did the same thing as the not-sos, but i started on a grey background so that i could add highlights along with shadows. When the shading was done i then made a new layer to color in, but this time i set it on soft light, which is what gave the shiny look to it. For the cosmic tiger there was one layer of basic color and shading set on multiply over an outline. I then made another layer for the texture, set on soft light. The rest of the drawings are just drawings.

Parasky
Member Avatar
King Wizard

Did you use a tablet or the mouse?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Parasky
Jun 11 2010, 02:31 PM
Did you use a tablet or the mouse?
mousepad

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
http://sites.google.com/site/yasbp3/wapaama/Picture%201.png?attredirects=0

I finally made a picture of the wapaama that is accurate to their current anatomy. I might color it in later, but i dont want to deal with that now. All you have to know is they have red fur.

On the left stands a woman, in the center is a man, and to the right, a child. Wapaama stereotypes differ greatly from human's, as the woman is seen as the dominant one, the smart and spiritual one of the household. The man is emotional, and cowers behind the woman for protection. Men are also associated with the physical world, being the eye candy for the dominant sex, they are deeply concerned for their appearance. They however are also associated with hard work and physical labor. For a woman it is seen as lowly to be concerned about appearance, so the woman is not physically fit and her hair is uncombed. Facial "nodes" (the bumps on the neck) are considered appealing and thus men will often cover their necks with oil to make the nodes seem more pronounced.

Also, i didn't mention this on the website, but their necks already produce a mucous that covers the nodes to prevent infection. The mucous has a smell that arouses wapaama (the men have their own mixture of pheremones to attract females, and the females have their own to attract males). A wapaama's smell receptors are located within its mouth, so the wapaama "kiss" by gently biting each other on the nodes. wapaama lack lips or tongues, so to a human observer the act really does look like biting.

Empyreon
Member Avatar
Are you plausible?

Excellent artwork as usual, and fascinating writeup as well! The behavior of the males and females reminds me of some ducks that live in a pond by my house. :)

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Thank you, as you might be able to tell from the body design, they were heavily inspired by birds.

I have been working on the wapaama's language and culture, but unlike the common speculative biologist, I am working on them from the beginning to end. I have started by making a simple dictionary for the first people, people with a level of technology comparable to the native americans. I then made a simple religion for them, and then went ahead a couple hundred years to when they developed a more complex society comparable to the romans or sumerians. I then changed their language to simplify words and get rid of repetitions or redundancies which would undoutedly be thrown out over time. I then made a simple inflexion system so that more complex sentences could be made and understood more easily. Finally, i introduced the vegrandii, and wrote about how the different individual vegrandii interacted with culture. I wrote ten pages on that, which i will put in another post because i believe forums have size limitations for posts. Later, i will go forward in time again and work on another stage in their cultural and social development. This way i will get a realistic alien race.

First of all, this is why i will be mostly referring to the wapaama as the chicken's people from now on; here is their creation myth:

there was a giant cosmic chicken living in a giant cosmic desert. The chicken laid an egg and the egg hatched, producing the world. Travellers from a distant town, in a distant desert, came across a cosmic bridge to to find themselves in the chicken’s desert. They soon came across the world and took it upon themselves to care for the world. The travellers were serpentine beings who brought with them the knowledge of technology and magic. They helped build up the great city and served as its guardians for the time they could, but with time they had to leave, for the bridge that connected their deserts was collapsing. They had to leave then, or be stuck in the chicken’s desert forever.

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
And here it is; a very long and detailed account of the vegrandii's interaction with the chicken's people:

The vegrandii decided to make formal first contact cautiously. A shuttle was sent to hover above the city and tell the people to send a few people to the fields of the west. The shuttle sent the message through a colored strobe light attached to the bottom of it. The fields of the west were chosen as the meeting point because it was the only place that would be open enough for the shuttle to make a safe landing. The town spiritual leader was sent, accompanied by two guards (in case it was a trick set up by a demon).

First to speak with the chicken’s people was “bg ybgyr”, literally meaning “no name”. No name was a linguist who was fluent in the people’s language. When approached by the people, they asked him “what are you?” which in their language is worded in the same way as “who are you?” Assuming that they were asking for a name, no name hit a sudden conundrum, as his species communicated through much different ways than these people, so his name could not be accurately described to them. He said to them “gr bygbgy bg ybgyb yr bygbgy yrgryb gbgrg” (I have no name you have the means to understand). He quickly gained popularity with the people and achieved a god-like status.

Many animals are used to represent no-name. He is primarily symbolised by a large rainbow serpent-bird similar to Quetzalcoatl of nahuatl legend. This is due to the serpentine appearance of the vegrandii. He is also associated with jumping worms, falcons, and grazing bipedal dinosaurs. Because of this, these animals are considered very holy.

Another important vegrandii was no-name’s mate, “rbrbg ybgyr”, meaning many name(s). The term “mate” is used because the vegrandii are hermaphroditic. The “s” is in parentheses because plurals are not used at this point in language. Many-name was seen as no-name’s husband, and is often represented as being subservient to no-name. This was difficult for many-name, who was a demanding person and saw himself as the dominant one in the couple. For the first year of interaction between the vegrandii and the chicken’s people, no-name and many-name shared a house (more like a palace) in the town. With time many-name grew tired of his portrayal as a lowly servant and violently divorced no-name. The two had a fight in the palace while many guests were present, which was a major event in the chicken’s history that is still referenced today. Blood was shed during the fight, but it was not recognized as blood by the people for it was purple. After the fight many-name left the palace in shame. During his marriage the people called him “husband”, but after the fight he was only referenced through profanity. For example, if somebody were to say “It reminds me of that no-good, dirty, awful son of a fish-demon” then you would know that somebody was referring to many-name. No-name disliked the use of profanity, so called her “many-name”, both referencing the fact that people called him by many names, and the fact that many-name was the opposite of no-name. If something bad ever happened, it was always blamed on many-name. Many-name rarely interacted with the locals after the fight, and at first planned on leaving the planet. However she became enamoured with another vegrandii staying on the planet, and they got married soon afterwards. He is mainly represented by kangaroo shrews, which are known as untrustworthy and promiscuous animals. However, before the fight he was symbolised by giraffe-like dinosaurs, which are known for their beauty and masculinity (not in the human sense of masculinity).

Many-name’s second mate was a pilot who ferried vegrandii back and forth between their ship in orbit and the planet’s surface. He was represented by a songbird, and went by the name “gbyrgyr”, which means songbird. He is a neutral figure in the chicken’s mythology, being seen as neither good nor evil. He is somewhat equivalent to hermes.

A vegrandii biologist/medic stayed on the planet. His job was to get familiar with local toxins and dangers, along with local remedies and herbal medicines that can be harvested while more potent medicines are being produced on the ship in orbit. Because of this, he had to spend a lot of his time with the locals and in the surrounding forest. He was thus seen as a god of the forest, and was named “ybgr rbrbgrbrbrg”, meaning “person of (the) forest”. He was symbolised by worms, trees, and forest spirits. Forest guy had a good amount of followers who worshipped him for his healing abilities, but he felt guilty of these abilities, as they relied on laboratories and unnatural chemicals. As he became more familiar with the planet and with nature, he developed the belief that he and his race were sinners, for they deviated from their natural roots. He killed himself after several years on the planet, believing that no man should live as long as he had (due to their advanced understanding of medicine, individuals of his race could live up to two hundred healthy earth years, nine times as much as the chicken’s people).

Before his death he was in a relationship with another vegrandii on the planet. The mate was a botanist, and was known as “ybgr gryg”, meaning “person of flower(s)”. Flower guy was seen as the subservient one, just like many-name. Flower guy on the other hand was fine with this, as he did have a more masculine (feminine) personality. Flower guy would wear mounds of makeup, which towards the end of forest guy’s life was seen as a sin by forest guy. They had a fight the day of his suicide over the fact he wore makeup, forcing flower guy out of their house. Flower guy returned later that day to find his mate dead, having carved up himself with a scalpel. Flower guy never wore makeup again, and years later killed himself through intentional overdose of bgrgbr.

Meanwhile, No-name found a new mate, but this time it was one of the chicken’s people. With time he acquired several new husbands, all chicken’s people. One of his new husbands already had a wife, who was not happy with her husband finding a new mate, and blamed no-name. She entered the palace asking for a blessing from no-name, and as he approached to do so she bit his upper-lefthand arm, pulled out a knife, and cut off his hand. No-name communicated with the people using colored gloves on each of his four hands, and his upper-left hand bore the color green, the holiest color. No-name had to return to the ship in orbit for so that he could be treated with stem cells and grow a new hand. Songbird however refused to ferry him, claiming he didn’t need 4 hands. No-name got a golden hand made for him by the chicken’s people, with a piece of green copper set in the palm. The golden hand soon became another one of his symbols.

A new biologist/medic was put on the planet, this one being chosen as the opposite of the previous medic to prevent the same emotional problems from getting in the way. He was opposed to natural medicine and had very little respect for the natives. If one asked for healing, he would ask for something in return, and if there was nothing to give then he would not heal. He accumulated great wealth because of this and gained a palace almost as big and fanciful as no-name’s. The inhabitants called him “gbyrgygbr”, meaning “vulture”. He was represented by vultures and wolves.

There were many vegrandii who visited the chicken’s planet, but many of them only stayed temporarily. It was a popular vacation resort, so most were tourists. Those mentioned above are all those who stayed for a significant amount of time and/or had a significant impact on culture in the town. The town mentioned was the first to have contact made, and was the largest at the time. It grew into an empire due to its attention, and is an important ancestor of the southern people. Towns across the globe had contact, but few went anywhere in the big scheme of things, and many forgot of the vegrandii after they left.

Some time later, no-name was found to be pregnant. It is thought that he was impregnated by one of the many passing tourists. The offspring was named “ybgybybr ybygrg”, meaning “sky child”. During the birth of sky child, no-name had to go to the ship in orbit, and songbird reluctantly allowed. While in the ship, no-name was given the choice to regain his hand. He decided to keep it the way it was, seeing the golden hand as a reminder, a reminder to himself that he was not loved by everyone, and a reminder to those who did not love him that he was loved by others.

Many-name still hated no-name, and thus hated sky child. No-name feared an attack from many-name, or any of his haters, and so had sky child under high security 24-7. He was kept in a special room, protected by three guards with spears. No-name was overprotective of sky child, but rarely interacted with him. Sky child never had a proper childhood, and grew up to be an unintelligent and awkward individual. He was still praised as a god by the chicken’s people, but seen as a fool and a disgrace by other vegrandii.

Around twenty earth years after sky child’s birth, many-name fell ill with cancer. On her deathbed she asked songbird to kill no-name and sky child. Songbird bought some guano from the locals and loaded the ferry with it. He then flew the ferry into the palace in the middle of the night, causing it to explode. The explosion was much smaller than planned, but caused the collapse of the ceiling, killing no-name and two servants. Songbird died in the explosion, while sky child survived the entire incident unharmed.

Songbird left behind two children that belonged to him and many-name. A native found these children in their abandoned home after the attack. The native was an old ugly man belonging to a rich family. The man wanted children, but never got married due to his terrible looks. He had asked no-name for blessings several times during his lifetime, and visited vulture with several gifts in hopes of healing. Vulture refused to lower himself to such issues, but accepted the gifts nonetheless. The man had grown to hate the gods for their lack of help, and decided to turn to their enemies. He paid several visits to songbird and many-name in the weeks before many-name’s death. They had no way to cure his ugliness, but still enjoyed his company. He did not know the attack was coming, and visited their house directly after the attack. He did not know that many-name had died, nor that songbird was involved with the attack. When he arrived he found many-name dead, and songbird and the ferry missing. He deduced immediately what happened, and took it upon himself to take care of their children. He knew that followers of no-name would come to the house soon to burn it down and kill the children. He brought the children to his house in secrecy and let no one know they were there. With time they faded from history, but many-name’s lineage was not to disappear forever…

Sky child replaced the position previously held by no-name. He was not only a god, but a king. The people looked to him for guidance and leadership. This ruined the reputation of the planet, as the most important and popular city was under control of a fool and a disgrace. Sky child was to lose even more popularity amongst vegrandii, as he was soon found to be pregnant, and rumors spread that he self-impregnated. When the child was born, a vegrandii tourist claimed to be the father, and got the government to force sky child to take part in a DNA test. The test clearly showed that the tourist was not the father, and seemed to show that sky child had self-impregnated.

Meanwhile, vulture was killed by an angry mob, and ever since then there were no permanent medics. The planet was losing attention, ambassadors in nearby towns lost interest and left, and tourists were becoming less and less common. The only ones who truly cared for the planet and its people were sky child and his descendants.

sky child’s child (who was named sky child the second) grew up to be quite similar to his father; rich and stupid, undeserving of his inherited kingdom. Meanwhile, the old man had run away to an adjacent village, leaving behind all of his wealth to care for many-name’s children in safety. They grew up as poor farmers, surrounded by other poor farmers. They acted in much the same way as the locals, their only difference being the way they looked. They weren’t told why they were different, but everyone else in the village knew. The other villagers saw them as somewhat of a curse, as they could attract followers of no-name, who would destroy the village and its people. As the man began to die, he told them the story of their true mother and father, and of the tyrant living in the city who took their lives and their honor. They were told of how their lowly lifestyle was due to a curse put upon them by the tyrant, and how they deserved more than what their life had to offer.

The two decided that they could not both go at once to try and kill sky child, for if one tried and failed, then the other would be able to try again using a different tactic. They flipped a coin, and the first to go was ybrgyr, which was a common name at the time derived from an even more ancient tongue, meaning “made”. Made went to the city and tried the direct approach. He brought four swords and stormed into the palace. He killed two guards before getting an arrow thrown at his head, but he continued to fight and killed three more guards. He then got to the throne and killed sky child the second, but with two spears in his side and one in his head. He died soon afterwards.

The other brother was “ygrgr”, another common archaic name, this time meaning “warrior”. Warrior was told by his brother that if he did not return within eighteen days, then he should assume his brother to be dead and the quest to have been failed. Warrior left for the city on the eighteenth day, and arrived at the city to find that his brother had succeeded and that the king was dead. Warrior went back to his village to live the rest of his life.

Sky child the third took to the throne. Sky child the third had many children during his reign, the first one being of course, sky child the fourth. The others were named more common things, such as warrior and made. Sky child the fourth was a spoiled child and a greedy one. He would often steal things and get in trouble. One day he stole food from a baby, who then cried. He silenced the baby by ripping its throat out. The father of the baby then beat sky child the fourth in a fury. This crippled sky child, but did not kill him. The father was put to death.

Some time later the third died of natural causes and the fourth took the throne. The fourth killed himself soon afterwards through poisoning and his oldest brother took the throne. This brother was named “brbr”, another name meaning “warrior”. Warrior then had child named warrior the second, who had a child named warrior the third, and so on until there was a warrior the twelfth. The kings were born and raised with the education of one of the chicken’s people. Over time they forgot of their extraterrestrial origins and came to believe that they were physical incarnations of metaphysical beings. They had no way of communicating with the tourists, as they never learned their ancestor’s language. By the reign of warrior the twelfth, 500 years had passed since the arrival of no-name. 500 years after warrior the twelfth, the vegrandii left for their home planet, leaving behind the chicken’s planet. But by this time it did not matter; there were no tourists and there were no scientists. The only vegrandii present were the descendants of no-name, and in a neighboring village, the descendants of many-name.

Speaking of many name’s descendants, most of them had forgotten of their hatred for the monarch, but some passed on the stories of their ancestors, and thus the need for a long-overdue revenge. This group of descendants, known as the followers of many-name, formed a religion based upon worship of many-name and songbird. They spread their stories to all the surrounding villages, gaining several followers amongst the chicken’s people. The empire that was once large and proud now had many haters, and was under constant threat. The empire was in a constant state of war with all who surrounded them.

By the time the vegrandii had left, the king of the empire had fled to a distant village in hopes of a safe, peaceful life. The king married another vegrandii staying in the village, he trusted the other vegrandii, and told him of his past as the king of an empire. The other vegrandii killed him in his sleep, for the other vegrandii was a follower of many-name. The follower found himself to be pregnant with the king’s child, as they conceived before he killed him. The follower planned on killing the child, as it was of bad blood, but he could not bring himself to kill a child. The child was named “ybgrgr”, meaning “curse”. He went south with the child, to a town untouched by the followers of many-name. The town had previous encounters with the vegrandii in ancient times, so they welcomed Curse, hoping he would bring them gifts of benevolent magic.

Curse was worshipped by the locals, who treated him like a king. Word of the vegrandii’s return spread quickly to neighboring towns, and eventually to the followers of many-name. Curse truly turned out to be a curse, as the followers destroyed the village. The followers mistook Curse’s father for Curse, and killed him instead. Curse returned to his village after a fishing trip to find ruins. He found his fathe’rs remains were hung from a pole as a warning to the followers of the empire. He went east to the peninsulas, and lived with the people there for the rest of his life. Curse bore no biological children, but told all the stories of his ancestors to the people of the peninsula, and they saw themselves as his children.

Meanwhile, the followers of many-name destroyed the empire, but they did not stop there. They continued to spread their influence, gaining more and more followers across the northern continent. There were few actual descendants of many name left, as many of them died in the war against the empire. These few started to be treated as kings, but as history has shown, kings do not last long. The followers were split into two sub-religions; those who believed the vegrandii should be treated as kings, and those who believed that the teachings of many-name clearly showed that kings were vile things to have. The last of the vegrandii on the chicken’s planet died another 500 years after their space-bound fathers left.

Parasky
Member Avatar
King Wizard

Mike
Jun 20 2010, 05:13 PM
I have been working on the wapaama's language and culture, but unlike the common speculative biologist, I am working on them from the beginning to end. I have started by making a simple dictionary for the first people, people with a level of technology comparable to the native americans. I then made a simple religion for them, and then went ahead a couple hundred years to when they developed a more complex society comparable to the romans or sumerians. I then changed their language to simplify words and get rid of repetitions or redundancies which would undoutedly be thrown out over time. I then made a simple inflexion system so that more complex sentences could be made and understood more easily. Finally, i introduced the vegrandii, and wrote about how the different individual vegrandii interacted with culture. I wrote ten pages on that, which i will put in another post because i believe forums have size limitations for posts. Later, i will go forward in time again and work on another stage in their cultural and social development. This way i will get a realistic alien race.
I've been doing this lately with the intelligent species from my Priapus Prime project. I've got a basic idea for the common culture, and I'm trying to build an overall global history for them, going into specifics only when I need too. It's a daunting task, especially since I need to remember that their mentality, and therefore reactions to events, is different from humans'.

Mike
Member Avatar
Adult
Good luck with Priapus Prime, it seems to be coming along quite well. As for my work though, i try to make the intelligent beings act human. This however isn't due to scientific preference, Its only for aesthetics. I try to make the aliens terribly flawed just like humans, because it seems all too common when pondering about higher lifeforms that we see them as higher. We don't imagine roswell grays having marital troubles or drug problems or racism, they seem above that. I want to make stories about these alien beings in which they do stupid, illogical things, simply because they are intelligent.

Otherwise, I think I may have come up with some basic ideas for another intelligent being to be added to this project. Ever since the beginning I have wanted to work with a world of higher gravity, because I had the plants for a high-gravity world figured out. The problem was I could not come up with an animal skeletal plan that would be both alien and efficient. The other day however, I came up with this:

Posted Image

This is what the organism's endo/exoskeleton would look like, and how it would be able to move relatively freely. The animal would not be upright like this, it would be horizontal, this is just to best show the movement and whatnot. The skeletal plan would derive from gill arches present in early fish, however unlike earth vertebrates who connected all of the gill arches through a spinal chord, there is no spinal chord (for now) The skeleton shown in the animation is simplified and would probably change quite a bit when the organism moves onto land.

Im also thinking the animals would have sideways jaws with a somewhat-protrudable pharyngeal jaw set like in moray eels. This setup would be good because the land animals would crawl on their bellies like a lizard or a snake, and eat away at vertically positioned flora, so their mouths can easily crop away at the plants like scissors.

Probably the biggest problem with this skeletal system is that it isn't very flexible, but its on a high-gravity planet, it doesnt need flexibility, it needs strength. But the problem is it wouldn't be able to move its head much. Thus, its eyes would probably need to be pivotable or on stalks so it can look around without having to go through all the trouble of turning its head.

Empyreon
Member Avatar
Are you plausible?

If it's an exoskeleton I assume there are broader plates than just those wire-like segments.

I really like the justification for the horizontally hinging jaws. Given the high gravity, would these critters climb up the plants or chew through their bases to let the whole plant fall?

Parasky
Member Avatar
King Wizard

Probably the latter. Falling in higher gravity is more of a risk, so animals will likely adapt in ways that avoid incorporating climbing or jumping.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply