Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is free and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A Scientific Fantasy; Home of wyverns, elves and wolly dinotheres
Topic Started: Jun 8 2010, 04:05 PM (45,422 Views)
dialforthedevil
Member Avatar
Frumentarii Administrator

This is a little world i have been playing round with in my head
I have been thinking how you could create a world with all of the typical fantasy creatures but implement them in a believable way so i shall begin with a timeline please tell me if i should change anything:
65 MYA An asteroid impacts in where is now present day Afganistan due to it being slightly smaller than the one which impacted in our timeline the whole world was devastated apart from what will become Central America, dinosaurs continue to thrive and then during the tertiary begin to recolonise the new world, a group of dromaesaurs start to become sentient and develop a hunter gatherer society.
43 MYA In Oceania a species of monitor lizard starts to develop wings and grow much larger...
1 MYA Homo Erectus leaves Africa they will evolve into two species of men Homo sapiens silvus(elves) and Homo sapiens sapiens. Although the group which stays behind evolves into Homo vulgaris (goblins but not in the usual sense). Homo Vulgaris is slightly shorter than a human but has a far better sense of hearing and sight due to increased living in caves.
Also around this time gigantopithecus develops into a troll like being (i need help explaining this)
Another sentinet species evolves as well Canis Lupis Magna is a bipedal species of wolf which prevailed in areas of northern asia they live in massive tight knit packs of around 150 indivduals hunting the almighty mammoth herds which roam across the steppes.
100,000 years ago the split between elves and man occured when the ice sheets cut northern Europe off from the south resulting in the far more arboreal elves who scattered in what pine forests reamined developed small communities in the trees although taller than a man an elf would never beat a human in physical combat for its bones are to brittle and easily damaged while in southern Europe humans prospered in the warm and fertile valleys.
I hop[e you guys find this interesting :D
Please come visit A Scientfic Fantasy http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/3433014/1/

ALSO!!! JOIN THE NEW RPG SITE!!! FOR ALL MEMBERS!!! IM GOING TO RUN MA GLOBAL SIMULATORS THERE!!! http://s4.zetaboards.com/jasonguppy/index/

Join the Campaign to save minotaurs from extinction!!! (include this in your signature to show your support!)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pando
Member Avatar
Obey or I'll send you to the moon
Not really possible. If dinosaurs were to survive and spread there would be no way that apes or wolves can evolve. And then there's the problem with mammalian hip structure - carnivorans can NEVER be bipedal. And then you should have Troodontids as the sentient species, rather than dromaeosaurs.

And then there's the fact that monitor lizards can't fly. Their body shape won't allow it. Although it is easier for them to become wyverns than for humans to exist with dinosaurs around and/or for wolves to become bipedal.

Ook
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
err,dinosaurs can survive in south america and later go to north america and some species can go to europe...presence of dinosaurs only at south america allows in early tetriary mammals to evolve to that,which are in our earth,but there will be many different species,and some completely new....werewolfes can evolve from baboon like primate,which became more carnivorous(but didnt change into quadrapedal carnivore,they become bipedal)they can migrate to europe and became more hairy...trolls can evolve from other primates,like gorilas etc.Wyverns can evolve from some archosaurs,which survive alongside with dinosaurs in america and later spread to old world
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The Dodo
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Dromeosaurs could become sentient too, it doesn't only have to be Troodontids.
Something like wolves and humans could exist if dinosaur are isolated somewhere else, but aside dinosaurs probably not.
Why can't monitor lizards develop flight?

Pando
Member Avatar
Its posture. All 3 flying tetrapods known were gliding insectivores, not ground dwellers.

Scrublord
Member Avatar
Father Pellegrini
Are we actually sure what the ancestors of pterosaurs were like?
My Projects:
The Neozoic Redux
Valhalla--Take Three!
The Big One

Deviantart Account: http://elsqiubbonator.deviantart.com

In the end, the best advice I could give you would be to do your project in a way that feels natural to you, rather than trying to imitate some geek with a laptop in Colorado.
--Heteromorph

Pando
Member Avatar
They were like Scleromochlus.
Posted Image

The Dodo
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Pandorasaurus
Jun 8 2010, 04:52 PM
Its posture. All 3 flying tetrapods known were gliding insectivores, not ground dwellers.
They can readjust it's posture over time.
They can also easily become arboreal, they could start gliding to chasing birds.

SIngemeister
Member Avatar
Hive Tyrant of the Essee Swarm

Pandorasaurus
Jun 8 2010, 04:52 PM
May I introduce you to the Tree Monitor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_tree_monitor
My Deviantart

RRRAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

Ook
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
yeah,and there is some more arboreal monitors,like lace monitor,timor monitor,salvadoris monitor or clouded monitor

dialforthedevil
Member Avatar

of course i mean for them to become wyverns sorry i must have not made it clear enough.But for the purposes of this i am going to change the bipedal wolves to bears as the leg structure would probably work better.
Anyway i wanted to base the dinosauroid society on mayan society. I will upload some pictures of the species as soon as i can.
Now back to the timeline:
Around the end of the ice ages horses started developing other means of defending themselves apart from running this was a 30cm long horn on the snout.
In the oceans a surviving descendant of basilosaurus survived and flourished as the top marine predators. Greatly limiting oceanic expansion due to their widespread occurance and their tendancies of attacking boats.
Please come visit A Scientfic Fantasy http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/topic/3433014/1/

ALSO!!! JOIN THE NEW RPG SITE!!! FOR ALL MEMBERS!!! IM GOING TO RUN MA GLOBAL SIMULATORS THERE!!! http://s4.zetaboards.com/jasonguppy/index/

Join the Campaign to save minotaurs from extinction!!! (include this in your signature to show your support!)

Ook
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
remember that is highly unlikely for intelligent dinosaurs to have body like human,they propably stay at same body like structure.
Edited by Ook, Jun 9 2010, 11:13 AM.

dialforthedevil
Member Avatar

yes i planned for them to have the same raptor structure entirely
please tell me if you guys are interested?
Edited by dialforthedevil, Jun 9 2010, 11:26 AM.

Ook
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
i am interested ;)

Pando
Member Avatar
dialforthedevil
Jun 9 2010, 11:07 AM
of course i mean for them to become wyverns sorry i must have not made it clear enough.But for the purposes of this i am going to change the bipedal wolves to bears as the leg structure would probably work better.
Bears won't work either. While they can stand, they won't be able to walk. The only possible "werewolves" would be long-snouted, clawed, furred hominids.

Quote:

Around the end of the ice ages horses started developing other means of defending themselves apart from running this was a 30cm long horn on the snout.

What everyone does for unicorns. If it happened in narwhals it could definitely develop in horses.

And I'm interested.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · A Scientific Fantasy · Next Topic »
Add Reply