Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Flightless chickens
Topic Started: Apr 16 2010, 02:42 PM (1,135 Views)
ItHasTeeth
Member Avatar
Megaposter
Anyone else think it would be possible for feral chickens to become large flightless animals (probably of the savanna, much like an ostrich)?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Yes! In fact, I have several flightless ratite-like descendants of domestic chickens in the Neozoic!

Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
flightless chickens are possible at isolated islands,there was giant megapode(sylviornis) tall as adult man,but they went extinct after humans arrive to new caledonia

Pando
Member Avatar
Obey or I'll send you to the moon
Chickens are almost flightless though. Not a big switch.

Bexi
Member Avatar
not a Transhuman
yeah,but they are defenseless,so they survive only at isolated islands.I dont think that chidkens survive for example in europe..stoats,martens,cats and foxes,they kill chicken very easy

Pando
Member Avatar
I guess. Losing flight will stop its best defense of predators.

Margaret Pye
Member Avatar
Adult
Some breeds of domestic chicken are fairly capable of self-defence - bantams, for example. Although those do tend to be the breeds that are best at flight.

On the other hand, it sounds entirely plausible to take a bantam, subject it to pressures for larger size, have it compensate for worse flight with faster running, and eventually wind up with an ostrich.

Pando
Member Avatar
Well, isn't that how ratites evolved?

But Bantams are small chickens.

MitchBeard
Member Avatar
proud gondwanan
Bantams are about as close as domestic chickens get to the ancestral jungle fowl.

Quote:

I dont think that chidkens survive for example in europe

You're right, they probably wouldn't survive in europe. But neither would a lot of other tropical species.
They'd probably do well enough in Central or South America, and I know there are wild populations in Northern Australia

SIngemeister
Member Avatar
Hive Tyrant of the Essee Swarm

Gamecocks (that is, chickens used for cockfights) would have a pretty good chance. They are vicious, and incredibly territorial. I saw one drive a sheepdog off

Nimor
Member Avatar
Pteranodon
What would be the point of flightless chickens? They don't fly really well, so it won't be a big jump in technology.
As for the subject how to do it, I bet they can invent some sort of serum that they can inject into the chickens, which will destroy their wings, making them unable to fly, as much as they can.

Dark-Matter
Member Avatar
Adult
Here is an idea of flightless chicken evolution: http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=speculative%20biology&order=9&offset=48#/d2eunzu

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Evolutionary Continuum · Next Topic »
Add Reply