Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Snaiad
Topic Started: Jun 1 2008, 12:10 PM (53,331 Views)
Giant Blue Anteater
Member Avatar
Ich bin ein Großer Blau Ameisenbär!
Snaiad is a planet created by Nemo Ramjet.

Posted Image

It is home to a wide variety of odd and enjoyable animals.

For those unfamilar with Snaiad, let me explain the general biology of Snaiad 'vertebrates':

• The things sticking out of their chests are their mouths.
  • Their 'beaks' contain the genitalia, and have no role in feeding.

Visit Nemo's website and his DeviantART gallery.
Edited by Giant Blue Anteater, Sep 28 2008, 04:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Parasky
Member Avatar
The King Wizard

I love the Snaiad creatures. They're very creative and well designed. I spent hours reading about them and looking at them. They're one of the main influences in what made me get into exobiology.

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
I love them too, but my friends say that the f*ckers, the second heads and the worm like vertrebrates are result of a perverted mind

Parasky
Member Avatar
The King Wizard

I don't think they are, but the names could have been more (or less) creative.

pantheraleo3
Member Avatar
I'm illegal in 17 states!
They're really creative and various of my creations are inspired in this.

Giant Blue Anteater
Member Avatar
Ich bin ein Großer Blau Ameisenbär!
Here are one of my most favorite order of animals:

Posted Image

Livyatan

As far as Snaiad, I understand the just of it but I don't really follow it in depth. I prefer just to admire the art work.

Saxophlutist
Member Avatar
Adult
Sniad is an amazing project in my opinion. He has so much depth in it.
I've done my share of Sniadi fan art.

I have to admit, when I first saw it I thought it was just going to be one of those project with the Earth-like creature in it, but when you learn more about it, you'll find that they only appear to be like vertebrates because of anthropomorphism. When you learn more about them they're only superficially like vertebrates and have completely different homologies and evolutionary histories. (Aside from both coming from the ocean.

Parasky
Member Avatar
The King Wizard

What I like about them is that they look alien. Many times people (including myself) make aliens and instead of evolving something from scratch they base it off something they've seen on Earth. Why should aliens look like something from Earth?

I saw a show called Alien Worlds that explained some things about what alien life would be like. The "top men in their fields" came together and managed to create what was essentially a featherless ostrich. Some of it was creative, like these animals that were very plant-like. They had a big fan on top of their head and preformed photosynthesis through it. They had root-like structures connected to a heart that pumped water up from the swampy environment and pulled it throughout the body (it was used like blood). Overall, it could have been more creative. Everything had two eyes, lungs, two nostrils, and all the same organs that Earth-life has.

Livyatan

Parasky
Jun 1 2008, 04:57 PM
Why should aliens look like something from Earth?
Perhaps being Earth-like is the best design when evolving in an Earth-like world. Since Earth is the only inhabited planet we know and have experience with, its normal to be a bit gaiacentric/terracentric.

Parasky
Member Avatar
The King Wizard

True. And I suppose many Carbon-Water based lifeforms will resemble our structure in some way (skeletal system, muscular system, and so forth). They won't look exactly like us though. But what of creatures with other bases? Like Hydrogen-Ammonia lifeforms you may find on gas planets? Or Carbon-Liquid Methane based lifeforms you may find on places like Titan? It makes one wonder...

Livyatan

Or acid-based organisms you might find stowing away on your spacecraft? I just made myself l-o-l. But back on topic: we don't know if there are organisms of other chemical bases. Carbon is the base of life on earth because it can combine into so many compounds and comes in so many different forms (from soot to diamonds to organisms, oh my).

Saxophlutist
Member Avatar
Adult
Also, even if they seem the same, the homologies would be different from Earth life's. For example, our jaws are derived from the gill arcs, while arthropod's jaws are made up of very derived appendages (Which seem to be a driving force behind their evolution).

Parasky
Member Avatar
The King Wizard

Will
Jun 1 2008, 05:14 PM
Or acid-based organisms you might find stowing away on your spacecraft? I just made myself l-o-l. But back on topic: we don't know if there are organisms of other chemical bases. Carbon is the base of life on earth because it can combine into so many compounds and comes in so many different forms (from soot to diamonds to organisms, oh my).
Right now I am working on one of my greatest aliens ever. It's a Carbon-Liquid Oxygen based life form with a silicon based genetic system. It's almost done...

Livyatan

Ok, but its time to get back on topic. So the next few posts should deal with Snaiad or I will have to warn for going off topic.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Snaiad · Next Topic »
Add Reply