Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Phyla (and division) for New Earth; jsut a more straightforward guideline
Topic Started: Dec 27 2009, 02:22 PM (1,398 Views)
Canis Lupis
Member Avatar
Not all dictators were horrible. Unfortunately for spambots, I am.

You'll have to ask Temporary for the fleshed out description on Sigmatatora. That's his creation.

As for Cephalostia and Arthrochaeta (two of my creations):

Cephalostia: this is an offshoot of Echinodermata. As you know, echinoderms possess a hard outer skin (thus their name) and a water vascular system (where they use water to move chemicals throughout their body. Cephalostia has taken these adaptations further: the iconic hard outer skin has hardened into a bony exoskeleton and the water vascular system has evolved a blood substitute.

To imagine the bony exoskeleton, imagine if your bones were on the outside of your body. Sort of like a form-fitting tortoise shell.

For the water vascular system with a blood substitute (called symbiovascular system), cephalostians have evolved a symbiosis with a protist (similar to how termites have a symbiosis with a protist that helps them to digest cellulose). This particular protist began to symbiocize (that's not a word. I just wanted a shorter way to say "evolve symbiosis") with the cephalostians in the late Precambrian. At that time, the cephalostians had yet to develop their bony exoskeleton. The protists originally evolved as parasites, stealing nutrients and oxygen from the water vascular system. But this parasitism proved horribly inefficient and by the mid-Cambrian, the protists had evolved to carry oxygen through the cephalostian. Consequently, the protists have become considerably smaller to fit through the water vascular tubules (now called symbiovascular tubules) and have deevolved some of their organelles to make room for hemoglobin (which is what allowed them to carry oxygen).

The cephalostians have five limbs, and they are more or less radial symmetrical. All of their limbs have become flatter to be used for swimming. However, it does not swim in a squid-like or helicopter-like fashion. Rather, one limb always is held behind it and is used for power thrusts while the other four are held out to the side and push the cephalostian forward. When the cephalostian wants to change direction, it just uses a different limb for the power thrusts.

Cephalostians have five eyes, each between a pair of limbs so that it has three eyes facing forward at all times (the two eyes closest to the power thrusting limb (which changes constantly) are inactive).

Arhtrochaeta: I think it is best to imagine them as a cross between an earthworm and a centipede. I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with those pictures you posted in the "Rewriting Earth" introductory thread. That's the basic look of the phylum (those pictures are here if anyone wants to look at them: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/single/?p=369308&t=2556840). That's what they basically look like. Like someone took the parts of a trilobite and an annelid and tossed them around some factory. Then some janitor trying to clean up the mess puts the parts together and BOOM! You get an arthrochaete.

Midway evolutions would be okay. Just don't put them in the Deliberation section. Instead, just start a seperate topic in the "Biomes and Classification" section.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KayKay
Adult
Thanks, those descriptions help. :)

Vultur-10

So are the Neocharophyta in or out?

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar
Not all dictators were horrible. Unfortunately for spambots, I am.

They're in. Did I forget to add that description?

Vultur-10

They're not in the first post.

I guess I need to come up with some species for them.

Also the spikeworms are spelled both Lucifervermes and Lucivermia; which one is right? I originally put Lucifervermes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Rewriting Earth · Next Topic »
Add Reply