Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Phyla (and division) for New Earth; jsut a more straightforward guideline
Topic Started: Dec 27 2009, 02:22 PM (1,323 Views)
Canis Lupis
Member Avatar
Not all dictators were horrible. Unfortunately for spambots, I am.

KINGDOM ALTERPLANTAE:
Gelascaphia - A photosynthesizing producer, it's actually a form of protero-sponge (a midway step seen between colony of cells and multicellular organism, developing cell differentiation but not much more), with a membrane on top developing to use photosynthesis (I'm actually thinking melanin, not as efficient of chlorophyll but we can work on that in the next few years, after all, plants may have used it too), and other cells on the bottom developing to use spores. Around the exterior are cells that cling together forming a surprisingly strong exterior considering the kind of organism it is (but still not that strong, you could break it with your thumb). It looks a bit like grape jelly in a bowl more then soup.

It's life-cycle is pretty simple, it waits for an organism to eat it, devouring the spores at the bottom. Later, when the organism dumps it's waste, the spores survive to create a new bowl.

KINGDOM ALTEBESTIA:
Neospoggia - It was supposed to be a sessile animal with a central stem secured into the soil by a weighty foot, and many side-stems containing food catchers that appear out of holes along the side stem. The food catchers are so brushy and there are so many that the side stems are rarely ever visible. Stems have hard plating for protection, but the food catchers are soft and vulnerable so when they are touched or when the sea currents get too strong they withdraw back into the stems. Withdrawing food catchers into the stem is also how food gets to the digestive chamber (which is pretty much what the inside of the central stem is).

Growth occurs both outwardly and upward. The plates are shed like exoskeleton. The top of the central stem is always budding new side stems.

They are sexually reproducing, producing gametes from gonads on the ends of each stem, particularly the top of the central stem. Gonads are either male or female, there is no apparent pattern to which gonads are which sex. The gametes of both sexes swim. Fertilized offspring begin dividing on the sea current.

Young quickly have to find a food source. First to form is a stomach chamber, then the first food catcher. At this stage the organism is microscopic and swims to the source of warm water using cilia-like hairs. Along the way they collect more food and grow a little bigger.

Hopefully they have managed to remain in the warmer waters. Soon they become too big to swim, the cilia just push water over its surface rather than propel it. A weight forms at their bottom, which becomes their foot, which slowly drifts to the sea bottom.

This is how they get from adult, to newly-planted offspring.

Cnidaria - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnidaria

Sigmatatora - Most of them are tiny, roughly the size of a pinky nail, though others can be a few inches long. Their body is elongated with a wider bottom then a top, being made for nearly swimming (really they merely glide along the floor of shallow seas). Internally they have a simple nervous system, controlling six major muscles controlling their swim pattern (following a classic horizontal S). They have five eyes, three in the front and two on top (the two on top are to watch for predators).

They have a tiny, toothless mouth-like opening in the front. They reproduce asexually. They have a single bone like shell made of chitin (they have not mineralized yet) at the top of their body for protection. For short bursts they can swim higher in the water, but stay mostly on the floor.

Lucivermia - These strange creatures are derived from a relatively undistinguished wormlike ancestor. However, they began to develop hard plates in their skin as predators evolved. As this armor grew larger and began to nearly enclose the body in a segmented shell, and developed large spikes to deter carnivores, the Lucifervermes exacted it for another use. Some of the spikes became jointed at their connection to the body, allowing their use as legs. Walking was sufficiently more efficient than crawling to more than make up for the heavy armor. Over the next several dozen million years, the spines developed into limbs with two joints, one at the 'hip' and one at the 'ankle'; these relatively stiff legs give the Lucifervermes a strange gait. They are named for their fearsome, horned appearance, reminiscent to some of the head of a medieval Morningstar.

The Lucifervermes are a significant component of the Cambrian benthic fauna. They are either detritivores, herbivores, or true omnivores depending on the species; all are too slow to pursue prey.
Lodihelminthes - Lodihelminthians are descendents of the ediacarans, evolved to use their pressurized chambers for locomotion. In this way, they have evolved a hydraulic muscular system, using it to move and to launch poisons at predators. They have evolved a primitive mouth near their anterior.

Arthrochaeta - Arthrochaetes evolved around the late Cambrian. They have hardened skin which has formed plates, allowing the arthrochaetes to support a larger body mass and thus eat more. Amount of limbs varies in this phylum, but the average number is about eight pairs. Their hard skeleton, effective limbs, and efficient respiratory system (evolved from two vestigial pressurization chambers) are major players when it comes to these creatures taking over the land, starting in the late Carboniferous (though they make their way onto land in the early Devonian, chasing their cephalate prey that got onto land in the late Silurian).

Trilobita - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilobita

Echinodermata - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinodermata

Cephalostia - Cephalates are the only phylum to have a hard bone-like skeleton, other than Arthrochaeta. It is the evolution of a hard bony skeleton that pushes them onto the land. Other factors included the migration of lichens and neocharophytes onto land, so chasing their food items is a major factor. The cephalates make get onto land in the late Silurian but, because of their inefficient lungs (evolved from a portion of the water vascular system (which has now evolved a blood substitute)), the cephalates will never dominate the land. Except when oxygen levels are quite high.

Those are the exact descriptions posted by the positer of the idea. The only things I changed in any of the descriptions were spelling errors. In the case of real phyla, I linked to a wikipedia article about them.

Have fun speculating!

Remember: post your creature in the Deliberation section.
Edited by Canis Lupis, Dec 27 2009, 04:39 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
I like the fact you made this topic, but it would be easier to read if you put more spaces inbetween each group so that it isn't all one thing.

Holbenilord
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Maybe, and you spelt jsut instead of just. Typos, eh?

Maybe alterplantae could have a few more kingdoms? It does seem a little sparse. Can we submit kingdoms?

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
It's about as sparse as in real life.

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar

I'll put more spaces in Atek.

As for fleshing out Alterplantae, I'm not much of a botanist, so I just didn't flesh it out.

How about this: would you guys like me to add a second division? Neocharophyta, the main contender of Gelascaphia?

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
If people want more Plants then the Neocharophyta would be great. But if not I think we're fine with Plants.

The Dodo
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Just a question, how are you going to decide what survives through extinction events?

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar

Hmmm.

Interesting question. I know extinction events are going to be the same as on HE (I mean occur at the same time and be caused by the same things). We won't have to deal with this until the Ordovician.

I guess when the extinction event rolls around, I'll set up a topic describing the extinction event and we'll deliberate on what survives and what doesn't.

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Sounds like a descent system for extinctions, I aprove.

Parasky
Member Avatar
Professional Hikikomori

It shouldn't be too hard to act on behalf of natural selection. So long as we keep in mind how long something has to adapt to the environment after the event, and the environment as it recovers from the event.

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
True. I also think we should keep in mind the type of things that survived in the real extinctions. That way we can make educated guesses on the types of niches most effected in our equivilents.

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar

Exactly.

KayKay
Adult
I am struggling to picture some of the above creatures in my head. The only ideas I have so far are for Neospoggia and that's only because I created it so I know what it looks like.

Could anyone help with further developing the description for Cephalostia, Arthrochaeta and Sigmatatora? I just can't picture them in my mind.

Holbenilord
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Should we submit midway evolutions? Just so you know where we're coming from?

KayKay
Adult
Maybe that would help, if you're willing to. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Rewriting Earth · Next Topic »
Add Reply