Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Which phyla?
Neocharophyta (post 60 on page 4) 3 (5.2%)
Porifera (post 70 on page 5) 3 (5.2%)
Cnidaria (post 70 on page 5) 5 (8.6%)
Lodihelminthes (post 70 on page 5) 5 (8.6%)
Capapoda (post 70 on page 5) 1 (1.7%)
Macrolida (post 70 on page 5) 0 (0%)
Arthrochaeta (post 70 on page 5) 7 (12.1%)
Echinodermata (post 70 on page 5) 4 (6.9%)
Cephalostia (post 70 on page 5) 4 (6.9%)
Polypoda (post 77 on page 6) 2 (3.4%)
Gelascaphia (post 92 on page 7 (called bowls of soup in the orignal post, then changed to jelly bowls)) 5 (8.6%)
Lucivermia (post 114 on page 8) 2 (3.4%)
Neospoggia (post 115 on page 8 (unnamed in the original post)) 5 (8.6%)
Sigmatatora (post 117 on page 8 (called waders in the original post) 3 (5.2%)
Mucarcera (post 121 on page 9 (unnamed in the original post) 2 (3.4%)
Trilobita (on here by popular demand) 7 (12.1%)
Total Votes: 58
TIEBREAKER
Porifera 1 (9.1%)
Echinodermata 6 (54.5%)
Lucivermia 4 (36.4%)
Mucarcera 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 11
Rewriting Earth; a new wave of spec evo projects
Topic Started: Nov 21 2009, 11:38 PM (5,454 Views)
Canis Lupis
Member Avatar
You did WHAT in my abscence?!

Recently, I've thought more about speculative evolution. Basically, speculative evolution is meant to speculate on different paths evolution could take. Whether these paths are in the future, on other planets, or at some point in Earth's history.

Just today, I started taking a whole new approach. I thought, "You know, life didn't have to take the exact path it took in our timeline. Chordates didn't have to evolve, or take over the world. Heck, Earth didn't even have to evolve life."

So here's what I came up with: a completely alternate Earth. In other words, reshaping the Earth how I see it.

Starting at the Cambrian explosion, I'm going to attempt to suggest and speculate a completely new evoltuionary path. Now, even though my world is wildly divergent, I still want to give it a veil of realism.

So, instead of making this a project with one leader, I'm going to make this an open project. It's not going to replace the current SE project that the entire forum participates in. It can if Parasky wishes, but I'm not going to make it that way. I'm just going to make this an alternate Earth where everyone can contribute. I'd still like this to be quite plausible.

All climatological, geological, and extinction events are the same. The only thing that is not the same is that the biology is not the same. Biology begins to differ at the Cambrian explosion.

So, I'm going to make installments of this project. Right now, we've got the Cambrian installment. In this installment, we will attempt to work out what life will arise as a result of this "explosion". Pictures would be nice and being a part of THIS project, not your own version of this project, is a must.

That said, I'm not against the idea of you starting another topic for your own version of a completely alternate Earth. I'd just like to keep this topic about THIS version of an alternate Earth.

That said, have fun! And speculate your hearts out.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ddraig Goch
Member Avatar
Ar hyd y nos

When you ask "how life may differ at the cambrian explosian", are you suggesting that we create completely new clades? Or do we simply evolve different invertebrates? And if evolution only begins to diverge after the explosian, then is all Vendian Life the same?

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar

Yes, all Vendian life is the same.

And, to make this easier, let's work with what the Cambrian explosion from HE gives us. We may alter some of the clades, but let's keep the basic framework for the clades the same. Just for simplicity's sake.

sam999
Member Avatar
Adult
Different life takeing control of the Cambrian? Earth will practicly be an alien planet!

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Most of the cambrian explosion forms died out straight away anyway.

Ddraig Goch
Member Avatar
Ar hyd y nos

Does this mean that trilobites don't evolve?! I love those guys!

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Well, they could if CL says so.

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar

sam: That was actually my inspiration behind this. Making Earth an alien world to a creature that evolved on Earth (humans).

Ddraig: Trilobites were extremely successful after the Cambrian explosion. While they may not evolve, I find it highly likely that they would evolve.

Holben: That is true. In our universe that is. What are some of those Cambrian explosion lifeforms that went extinct right away? They may have a chance of radiating.

Everyone: I was thinking last night. Chordate evolution was just a random mutation. A neotonous mutation in the tunicates. It is highly likely that this would not have occured. So I predict that, in this universe (NE for "New Earth"), chordates die off almost immediately.

I was also thinking about a mollusk and anomalocarid radiation in which one or both groups would rule the seas of the Cambrian and possibly onward. Thoughts?

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Well, yeah./ Anomalocaris preyed on early chordates as well though, so you're gonna have to have another fleshy clade.

Parasky
Member Avatar
The King Wizard

I like this idea, a whole new project we can work on. The old one is, well, old and has become relatively uninteresting. It shall be done!

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Well, that's support from 'his majesty'. Guess we'd better get going.

We could have a cuttlefish like species, yeah?

Parasky
Member Avatar
The King Wizard

So then, let's get this thing organized. How are we going to do it? In a style similar to Evolutionary Continuum? I think what we should do is have three sections; Accepted Species, Rejected Species, and Deliberation. Somebody posts an idea and it automatically gets put into Deliberation status. It is reviewed by everyone and adjusted as needed, and then a poll is added when everyone agrees that it's ready to be voted on. From there everyone decided whether or not it is accepted or rejected.

We should also probably have a moderator group to help move topics to their correct place. You know so that lamna and I don't have to do it.

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar

Well, maybe not anomolocarids persay. Maybe just a greater trilobite diversification.

Heck, maybe echinoderms could diversify in a non-chordate environment. Maybe they could evolve something like blood in their water vascular system.

Holben
Member Avatar
Will of the People

Well, i have experience with invisionfree administration. Not meaning to brag or anything.

Canis Lupis
Member Avatar

My personal opinion, I think we ought to have deadlines for period submissions. Like, for example, submissions for the Cambrian should be submitted within two or three weeks. When that deadline is reached, we shall vote on which creatures are accepted. Then someone will write up an essay about what has happened in this version of the Cambrian, mentioning a few species.
Edited by Canis Lupis, Nov 22 2009, 03:54 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Rewriting Earth · Next Topic »
Add Reply