Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculative biology is simultaneously a science and form of art in which one speculates on the possibilities of life and evolution. What could the world look like if dinosaurs had never gone extinct? What could alien lifeforms look like? What kinds of plants and animals might exist in the far future? These questions and more are tackled by speculative biologists, and the Speculative Evolution welcomes all relevant ideas, inquiries, and world-building projects alike. With a member base comprising users from across the world, our community is the largest and longest-running place of gathering for speculative biologists on the web.

While unregistered users are able to browse the forum on a basic level, registering an account provides additional forum access not visible to guests as well as the ability to join in discussions and contribute yourself! Registration is fast, free, and instantaneous.

Join our community today!

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Off-Topic Material
Topic Started: Nov 6 2009, 05:31 PM (702 Views)
Member Avatar
Let go of your worldly attachments, become Snorlax

Recently there has been a lot of off-topic discussion in threads where it doesn't belong. I've been getting complaints about it and quite honestly I myself am getting fed up with it. I understand that yes, sometimes topics do get off into a wild tangent but lately it's been nothing more than random posts in places they don't belong. We have places like General Discussion and the Forum Games area for random and amusing stuff, so it doesn't need to be in places where it will distract posters from the thread's intended purpose.

It may seem harmless but the off topic discussion goes unchecked by moderators, myself included. Eventually it builds up to two or three pages of unnecessary off topic material that ends up killing threads as people lose interest in the new material and forget the original purpose of the thread. So from this moment on we will be a bit stricter on off-topic material; threads will get one warning and if off-topic discussion persists it will be deleted.

I didn't want to have to crack down on this, but it's getting out of control. Our terms of service state that useless posts will be deleted, and neither the posters nor moderators have been abiding by this rule, and it's about time we did.

EDIT: I have created a section in General Discussion specifically for randomness, since some people have found it mildly entertaining (and personally I use "entertaining" lightly, but that's just me).
Edited by Parasky, Nov 6 2009, 05:51 PM.
Priapus Prime Reboot has officially begun! Check out updates and help me out by clicking here!
Latest Update: 28 October 2015 Priapan coloration revealed!
Offline Profile Goto Top
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Announcements & News · Next Topic »
Locked Topic