Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Marsupial diversification on the Americas
Topic Started: Aug 3 2009, 06:08 AM (557 Views)
JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
Basically I had this ideaa of having american marsupials diversifying in the future, as the older megafauna was replaced by the descendents of smaller and more adaptable animals. Among my ideas are:

-Carnivorous marten like forms
-Omnivorous badger like forms
-Otter like piscivores (descended from the yapok)
-Gliders
-Wolverine like carnivores

I wonder if some will crosss into Eurasia, but they will certainly make it into Antartica as it seems South America will collide with the Antartic Peninsula in the future
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Sounds like a cool idea though I think it deserves its own topic instead of this dead project.

What about omnivore small ape analoges?

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
I don't know, aren't there monkeys in the Americas?

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
In south america yes but I don't think in north america.

JohnFaa
Member Avatar
Adveho in mihi Lucifer
Oh, but nothing would prevent them from moving northwards...

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Except the mexican desert which might stall them long enough for marsupials to establish them selves in the north and with a new ice age the desrt might expand north to further stall them.

Venatosaurus
Member Avatar
HAUS OF SPEC
Well why can't monkeys develop forms well adapted to the desert, I mean there are several examples from Africa. Plus the Babookari (or something like it) from TFIW could arise and manage to cross the desert !

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Well if they become desert adapted it serves the same purpose because they will no longer fill the arboreal niches that the marsupials take over which means the deserts still allowed the marsupials to keep their niche.

Either way the desert stops the apes from taking the niches of the marsupials.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Evolutionary Continuum · Next Topic »
Add Reply