Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Diaries of a Speculative Biologist
Topic Started: Jul 28 2009, 11:47 PM (2,656 Views)
Canis Lupis
Member Avatar
Not all dictators were horrible. Unfortunately for spambots, I am.

I'm just wondering: what is everyone's view on desert hopper-like snails? By that, I mean:
  • water-tight skin
  • a pseudo-skeleton (for support)
  • a beak derived from the radula
  • efficient limb(s) (for locomotion). By that, I mean, they could either: evolve the molluscan foot to be more efficient at slithering along the ground (like snakes), evolve the molluscan foot into a single hopping structure (like the desert-hopper), or evolve extensions of the pseudo-skeleton's "ribs" to form two or more legs (like the saltokochlids (from TFIB) who only have two)
  • a more advanced brain to coordinate their more advanced movement
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Livyatan

Man's best friend - http://speculative-biology-diaries.blogspot.com/2009/08/mans-best-friend.html

The dog article I had promised.

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
The tiny terror idea was one that I had also thought up lol.

I can also see the whale Dogs and bone crusher Dogs.

Another neat idea is combinations of these ideas I like the idea of huge packs of tiny bone crushing terrors lole.

As for north america having dog packs, I think the dogs and wolves that occupie the pack hunting niche will eventually breed and mix into their own type of animals.

The Dodo
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
I don't think that toy dogs will make it into the future without people around.

Livyatan

The Dodo
Aug 10 2009, 02:41 AM
I don't think that toy dogs will make it into the future without people around.
Its not that they are descended specifically from toy dogs, they are just of miniature size.

ATEK Azul
Member Avatar
Transhuman
Yeah they may not be our toy dogs but they would be small and ferocius I think they would make good scavengers.

Giant Blue Anteater
Member Avatar
Ich bin ein Großer Blau Ameisenbär!
I'm going to pin this thread if you don't mind, Will and Parasky.

Livyatan

I don't. And sorry about no recent articles. School has become my slave master.

Terrence of Chance
Member Avatar
Infant
I've had a concept for a future canine for a while. Imagine an Irish Wolfhound, bred with Siberian Husky, resulting in gigantisim in the offspring. Now imagine a few of these individuals escaping into the Alaskan wilderness, and breeding with feral wolfpacks. The result? Horse-sized canines with enormous snowshoe feet, adapted to chasing down high-speed prey for extended periods over snowy terrain, completely replacing the local wolf population.

truteal
Member Avatar
forum bigfoot
Terrence of Chance
Feb 28 2010, 05:14 PM
I've had a concept for a future canine for a while. Imagine an Irish Wolfhound, bred with Siberian Husky, resulting in gigantisim in the offspring. Now imagine a few of these individuals escaping into the Alaskan wilderness, and breeding with feral wolfpacks. The result? Horse-sized canines with enormous snowshoe feet, adapted to chasing down high-speed prey for extended periods over snowy terrain, completely replacing the local wolf population.
cool idea, but what would sustain it? big mammals need a lot of food and also living in a pack would mean that they would have to share, which means they would have to make a lot of kills in order to keep everybody feed.

Orionite
Member Avatar
Primate Thinker
Terrence of Chance
Feb 28 2010, 05:14 PM
What would create such a large size? Can you explain it to me?

Orionite
Member Avatar
Primate Thinker
Canis Lupis
Aug 9 2009, 05:43 PM
I'm just wondering: what is everyone's view on desert hopper-like snails? By that, I mean:
  • water-tight skin
  • a pseudo-skeleton (for support)
  • a beak derived from the radula
  • efficient limb(s) (for locomotion). By that, I mean, they could either: evolve the molluscan foot to be more efficient at slithering along the ground (like snakes), evolve the molluscan foot into a single hopping structure (like the desert-hopper), or evolve extensions of the pseudo-skeleton's "ribs" to form two or more legs (like the saltokochlids (from TFIB) who only have two)
  • a more advanced brain to coordinate their more advanced movement
This sounds like a great idea. What I'm curious about is - what would trigger such a direction in their evolution?

Arachnus
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Water-tight skin - maybe from adapting to arid environments.
Pseudo-skeleton- the snail could internalize parts of it's shell for support
The hopping structure - might evolve from the hind end of the foot used to leap off branches or something for a quick escape from predators

Orionite
Member Avatar
Primate Thinker
Arachnus
Dec 13 2012, 10:07 PM
Pseudo-skeleton- the snail could internalize parts of it's shell for support
The hopping structure - might evolve from the hind end of the foot used to leap off branches or something for a quick escape from predators

I can see the 'how'. I was curious about the 'why' part :D.
Edited by Orionite, Dec 14 2012, 07:20 PM.

Arachnus
Member Avatar
Prime Specimen
Hmm. Parts of the shell could internalize in large species of snail that need that extra support.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Spec · Next Topic »
Add Reply