Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
<div style="background-color: none transparent;"><a href="http://www.rsspump.com/?web_widget/rss_ticker/news_widget" title="News Widget">News Widget</a></div>
Hello, we here at Speculative Evolution have noticed a recent increase in the number of guests visiting our community. While being a guest does allow you to browse the forum at a basic level, it does not give you access to everything. There are many things that guests cannot see, and therefore we urge you to join our us so that you may contribute to our community and the projects we are undertaking. If you would like to register, please click the link below. If you are already a member, please ignore this message and log in. Thank you for your cooperation.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Valhallah; An alien planet-that-isnt-a-planet
Topic Started: May 9 2009, 11:01 AM (7,102 Views)
El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
I'm a Sneaky Little Bee--Buzz Buzz
Boy, it seems almost everybody here in the Habitable Zone is making there own alien planets. But for you, I have something new. I designed Valhalla to be as unlike Earth as possible and still have the potential for complex intelligent life to evolve. It's a moon, orbiting a gas giant planet called Odin that in turn orbits a star similar to but older than our sun. And its much colder and drier than Earth-only barely posessing liquid water. The other two planets in its solar system, Thor and Loki (They're all named after Norse mythology characters, sort of like our planets and Greek mythology) are even more uninhabitable. There is still life on Valhalla, though. . .and it has the potential to become intelligent. Anybody up for the challenge?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Temporary
Transhuman
By 'challenge' do you mean we're all going to take part in this or what?

Terrence of Chance
Member Avatar
Infant
Y' kinda need to state how you WANT people to contribute to this topic, I'm afraid. Do you want art? Debate? Spore system like Kay and I are doing? Designs? Pie?

Btw, how does one draw an El-Sqibbonator? Should I doodle a Squibbon wearing a bullfighter's outfit and hat, with a menacing robotic eye and half of a metallic face?

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
Terrance of Chance, were you asking about my avatar? I dont really have one yet. And when I said, "are you up for the challenge" I just meant that you're welcome to use your own ideas and life-form designs for this. Now for the organisms.
Valhalla's dominant land life forms (akin in diversity to our mammals) are the radially symmetric Quintapods, while the main autotrophs are a group called the Parasol-trees. Parasol-trees are actually more like animals than plants (remember the stinger fans in Extraterrestrial) and are distantly related to Quintapods. There are only a few flying creatures, most no bigger than sparrows. They mostly form a group called the Quadripterans. There are also swimmers, caller Icthyomorphs, but unlike are bony fish they are not the ancestors of land creatures. Instead, Quintapods evolved from an extinct group of starfish-like "invertebrates."

Terrence of Chance
Member Avatar
Infant
Well, base creatures are a good way of getting something started. So, are the Quintapods exo-skeletal? And how about the flying creatures, are they radially symmetrical as well?

BTW, I KNOW you don't have an av, it's just that the NAME put that image in my mind. XD

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
The quintapods are actually endoskeletal, and those starfish creatures I mentioned are about as distantly related to them as Pikia is to us. And no the flyers are not radially symmetrical. They have modified four of their limbs into wings, with the fifth as a hook they can use to hang while resting the way bats do.
Oh , and about the squibbonator thing, I like your second idea!

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
I know this is a double post, but it seems there's a lack of activity here. Just to get things going, I'll start by covering the anatomy of the "Vertebrates." Quintapods and Quadripterans do have a skeletal structure, but it is silicate-based rather than calcium-based like our own (although they themselves are carbon based creatures). They are radially symmetrical, with a mouth located at the center of their legs on a proboscis. They are, with a few exceptions, hermaphroditic, with both male and female sex organs, and most give birth to live young. The largest quintapods are over 20 feet in legspan, the largest quadripterans ten feet in wingspan.
With this in mind, I'll be posting regular entries and details on the life form groups in the future. But as long as you stick to the guidelines I give, you're welcome to submit critters for this or for the Neozoic.
Edited by El Squibbonator, May 16 2009, 06:12 PM.

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
Sorry about the lack of updates. Soon I'll start posting about the life form groups in detail. Stay tuned!

alienboy
Member Avatar
Adolescent
I've noticed the recent lack of activity and I thought I could help. I have been having trouble directing attention to my own exobiology project until I posted a picture of one of the species. Pictures really help! Great job so far, it looks like a very good project :) .

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
Pictures have really been an obstacle for me, because I don't have an account on DeviantArt or any website like that. I'll try to put some illustration here and in the Neozoic over the summer.

alienboy
Member Avatar
Adolescent
That's fine, I just directly upload pictures to this site.

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
I've got a Corel Painter application for my computer that I use to draw pictures. It's not easy-- it takes about three days to draw each picture--but once I'm done with them I can easily save them to the computer and put them here if you'd like to see them.

ashwinder
Member Avatar
Adolescent
It would be great so see some pictures, they really help give a feel for your life-forms. Out of interest why do most of your species maintain radial symmetry and are there any sentient/semi-sentient lifeforms?

El Squibbonator
Member Avatar
All right, pictures coming right up! Here's a basic study of one of the Quintapods, an "herbivorous" species called the Greater Clubfoot. The Greater Clubfoot is a typical representative of one of the main families of "herbivorous" Quintapods. Quintapods also include predatory species, omnivorous species, aquatic types and even spider-like climbing species. As far as sentient aliens go, there aren't any now, but several species have the potential to evolve sentience. You can help me decide which one finally does.

ashwinder
Member Avatar
Adolescent
Can't see a picture in your post...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Habitable Zone · Next Topic »
Add Reply