Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Guessing the number of M&M's in a jar
Topic Started: Jul 28 2009, 09:17 AM (771 Views)
SnoringFrog
Member Avatar
Administrator
How to Guess the Number of M&M's in a Jar

I thought this was actually a pretty interesting video, as well as a small solid-state physics lesson. What it works down to is a simple equation for determining the number of any given item in any given container. That equation comes out as follows:
M&M's in a jar equation

(massOfContainer)(packingFraction)
(individualVolumeOfItems)
And since in the vid he gives you two of those numbers for M&M's (Ind.Volume is .715mg and packing fraction is 66.5%), you simply plug in the volume of the container and there you go! When you run this equation with the container he used (1150mg), you get an answer of 1069.5804, which rounds up to 1070, as he said, so if you try and get something too much different than that you did something wrong. Now, I need to go find one of these contests to enter...
Edited by SnoringFrog, Jul 28 2009, 09:20 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Synch
Member Avatar

Although the video was interesting, I have to ask myself how much of a freak you really are to be searching for scientific crap like this. But on a side note, I liked it. I just don't think anyone would actually take the time, or even have the knowledge, to be able to do this for an actual contest

SnoringFrog
Member Avatar
Administrator
I didn't search for this, I follow the makemagazine rss, so this just popped up in my rss reader.

Well, I'd take the time to do this for a contest, all I need to know is the volume of the container. Although, adding mini or peanut m&m's too the mix would screw things up a bit.

Anthrax
Member Avatar
Super evil tyrannnical admin of doom
I knew there was a formula for this, but I never found it. Thanks.

I'd really like to try this at a contest, just so I can feel satisfied at knowing the formula :p

SnoringFrog
Member Avatar
Administrator
I know, but with my luck I'll never happen upon another one of those contests in my life...lol. Or more likely, I'll get stuck in ones with mini m&m's and/or peanut m&m's instead of plain ones.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Black Water created by tiptopolive of the Zetaboards Theme Zone