Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Westworld; Season 1
Topic Started: Oct 24 2016, 11:54 PM (471 Views)
bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
From what little Jonathan Nolan would say about it, sounds like we're in for Samurai World next season. Now that they know the safe is empty, I can see where the Western World might be less relevant.

And speaking of the safe being empty, I wonder if that realization was part of Ford testing them for their readiness for the new narrative. I do agree with those who think it would have been more fun to know that Ford was on the side of the robots earlier in the season. Some of those scenes that felt redundant might have felt more important.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really became attached to the main characters. In the beginning I thought Dolores would be my favorite but as it turned out Mays became my favorite. And I usually don't even like Thaddie Newton, but she was a great choice for this role. I don't understand why Ford had himself killed in the end.

And why didn't he have Bernard shoot himself the week before? I was really glad to see Bernard come back. Yes the suffering thing is interesting because forgave them all bad memories or sad memories in order to make them more human but then they were meant to 4 get some of their previous lives, or was that just something Ford told the owners.

Another confusing thing was how ed harris Harris became the man in Black. I sort of saw that coming but it only confuse my husband even further. Plus the fact that when you look at the young man who was the early Paris character and then Harris they were at least 40 years apart so that would mean that Dolores had been around for at least that long. Have to say that's a big plus about being a robot :-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wildcat post was a mess but I think you guys know what I meant :-)

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Another confusing thing was how ed harris Harris became the man in Black. I sort of saw that coming but it only confuse my husband even further. Plus the fact that when you look at the young man who was the early Paris character and then Harris they were at least 40 years apart so that would mean that Dolores had been around for at least that long. Have to say that's a big plus about being a robot :-)
The funny thing is that Ed Harris is only 25 years older than the actor who played William. In the first episode, Man in Black says that he's been coming to the park for over 30 years, so it's only been that long since he first met Dolores.

In one of the middle episodes, Felix explains to Maeve that they (the robots) experience their memories as if they're actually happening, not in the same way that we recall a hazy past experience. So, what we were watching was Dolores experiencing her past memories and her present moments, which is part of the reason I think it felt so confusing at times.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well Delores certainly was aging well :-)

I am a secular person so I don't believe in heaven or hell so to me if these robots had feelings and memories intelligence and self-awareness they would be as human as any human being. And we would all end up in the same place. Except they would actually have the advantage being able to be brought back to life and remaining young girl looking the same throughout their lifetime. As we get older one of the consoling factors about it is
We have learned so much and experience so much that we are much smarter and complete human beings than we were when we were very young. Of course some people get old and they don't ever grow up :-) but just think if you could be say 30 years old but have the knowledge and experience of someone 70 or 80 or even possibly older wouldn't that be amazing? There is an old Pennsylvania Dutch saying that says we get to Quick old and too late smart. That's usually the truth.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maybe I should have posted this under classic movies but we did watch the original Westworld last night. I haven't seen it in many many years I'm sure I had seen it since its original release but certainly not for at least 20 years. It was not nearly as good as I used to think it was fun then when you consider it had minimal special effects and things that we take for granted today it still held up pretty well. The current TV show really has stuck by the basic principles of the old movie although everything is much more sophisticated in the current series. It was really funny looking at Yul Brynner I was never a really big fan of his and I was struck at how he was actually rather short pudgy and unattractive. Still he was pretty good in the role and he was supposed to be rather robotic and he pulled it off I don't think he had more than ten words to say in the show. So I think it was a good movie for its time and a good basis for the current series which I really love and hope they continue to develop it.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Back when they first started talking about doing the show for HBO, I watched the film. It was ok. I liked the concept more than the execution. I do remember getting a bit bored towards the end when it was just Yul Brynner trying to kill the one guy, and thinking that it might have been better if the guy's friend had been the one to live.

Did the film even talk about the development of sentience within the robots? Or was Brynner just a malfunctioning robot?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The film really just talked about malfunctions it did not go into
Robotic intelligence or anything like that. First there was a artificial snake that bit son and there were a few other weird behaviors but really it was mostly about Yul Brynner. The acting wasn't wonderful but then the writing was pretty simplistic. There were also those other world like a Roman world and one other one that were not mentioned in the series. I think they had spent so much money on the set in so much character development they didn't need those other worlds for sure but they existed in the movie and a few people were killed in those other world.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sequel three years later was called Futureworld - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futureworld
TV show, very briefly, in 1980 (made five, aired three) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Westworld

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: