Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Timeless; Season 1
Topic Started: Oct 12 2016, 08:44 PM (629 Views)
bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

So you caught her reference to General Hospital then??
I'd be ashamed of myself if I missed it, lol.

Quote:

I know, that was really disturbing about the sister! It was definitely a "wait a minute" moment, gotta she how they pull this off...
And now she has a fiance she doesn't even know! That was good for a laugh.

So far, my favorite scenes have been when Lucy and Garcia Flynn cross each other's path.

I liked the brief argument about (not) going back in time to "fix" Wyatt's dead wife situation but Lucy being motivated by whatever has happened to her sister. I hope we get more of those kinds of discussions. I can already feel myself being more interested in the larger mythology of the show than the quick trips to the past. If only we had some idea why each point in history is significant.
Edited by bilki, Oct 12 2016, 08:45 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked the show too. I wonder the same thing, and hope the show last long enough bilki that we'll see why certain points were.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah there's a ton of potential for character development and mythic development.

But the time travel moments are priceless. A lot of my students are now big fans and they MESSAGED me (we have a closed system Google Chrome world) when Rufus said he was Denzel. (We just watched Glory in class a few weeks ago and kids enacted "deleted scenes.")

Though cranky critics abound. :P

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/other-timeless-mrs-lincoln-how-was-play-244006

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll try to check this out. Have been hearing good things. Time travel always intrigues me and makes my head hurt (figuratively) but this seems worth the effort.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Time travel travel just gives me a headache. So I think I'll pass on this one.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Oct 12 2016, 08:44 PM

So far, my favorite scenes have been when Lucy and Garcia Flynn cross each other's path.

Is that her father?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
2buddy4u
Oct 16 2016, 09:51 PM
Is that her father?
That's my theory at this point. And that he's trying to fix something that's important to both of them while she continues to try to thwart his efforts.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was odd to me that they played the I'm-moving-in-with-my-mother scene with such a serious tone. It seemed like a good time to inject a little humor, especially because Lucy doesn't even know her fiance.

And why are they just now trying to find Flynn in the present? I wondered why they weren't even mentioning it after the last two missions.

I liked that Wyatt tried to use the time travel to his advantage by trying to save his wife. I hope there's more to the story than it just didn't work.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay, so they have dropped plenty of hints now... Lucy is Flynn's daughter, now let her find out.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
His name on a piece of paper that we couldn't see or wasn't read aloud was groan-worthy.

I've seen some speculation that he's Lucy's husband from a future timeline, so I guess they could have some trick up their sleeve. I can't figure out how that would work, though.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well that almost makes sense now...but I'm just not sure that the Dad she met is for real. There is definitely a connection with her and
Flynn...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was wondering if they are gonna muck up the timelines to the point were there are mutually exclusive events. Like, saving Lucy's sister means Wyatt's wife stays dead. And also, what if Flynn is from one timeline (where, say, originally he WAS married to Lucy's mom and she IS his daughter) and now with her sister gone, "she" is also gone in this new timeline, only preserved because she was in the big sphere thingy. So her DNA isn't matching Rittenhouse dude, even though he and her mom did have a daughter they think is still Lucy. Did that make sense?

I'm hearing a lot of buzz from folks I wouldn't think would watch this, like my very not-geeky sister, and my mom. If so, they are gonna have to dance a very razor sharp line between nonsense history/dumbed down, or wrongheaded history, and boring realistic history while they keep the stories exciting. My non-college educated non-geeky sister said, "I don't wanna watch something that's gonna make me dumber than I already am." :D (She's not dumb, was a business-tech associate degree person focused on the workaday world, and now wishes she had a more broad, liberal-in-the-old-sense education. If the show is appealing to those kinds of people, they need to respect them, and yet also hold onto actual history buffs for cred. imo

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
E-vol Rittenhouse guy being her father leaves room for the theory that Flynn is Lucy's future husband. He could also be a half-sibling, I suppose.

Good scene Flynn with explaining to Wyatt why he's time-traveling and establishing that they have some kind of common bond.

I'm still not very invested in their missions but at least now we know why Flynn is going to those points in history. If they disrupt the past too much, it may make their present and future unrecognizable. If they always save the day with little collateral damage, it all feels too convenient.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fort Duquesne!

<3

ETA

My undergrad degree is from Duquesne University. :P

http://www.duq.edu/assets/images/Homepage_Map/Photo-A---City-Campus.jpg

Tall buildings in top of frame blocking the site of Fort Pitt/Fort Duquesne.
Edited by KMInfinity, Nov 23 2016, 11:39 AM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Did I miss anything of significance? I forgot to record it and I probably don't want to sit through the commercials that will come with NBC OD. They didn't put a review up on AV Club, which I thought was odd.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well I loved liked the Pgh setting (in 1754).

Some forward character development as the team stumbles along learning to trust and bond. Rufus offered to die by Shawnee execution with the white folks, which bought him team cred from Wyatt (when the female chief then released them all thanks to Rufus' honorableness). Wyatt discussed fate vs free will with Lucy, who is worried about her diary, and seems to think being spiritual means being fatalistic.

Rufus was kissed by the tech girl he likes.

The woman scientist program director is becoming suspicious.

http://nerdist.com/timeless-recap-stranded-left-the-shows-normal-formula-behind/
This recap follows my personal line of thinking.
Edited by KMInfinity, Nov 23 2016, 10:32 PM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Would a "real life" version of pretty boy Wyatt ever have a thoughtful discussion about fate and free will? Probably only on television. Sounds interesting, though. Maybe I'll put the show on in the background and listen for that conversation.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I TRY to be openminded about certain stereotypes, because I do know some pretty, military style conservatives who have thoughtful conversations. I do. :P

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maybe I'm just grumbling because it seems like I find thoughtful conversations in fiction more than in real life. And while I'm sure there are some pretty people out there who are capable, Matt Lanter hasn't brought much substance to Wyatt. Perhaps Lucy's presence bumps up his intelligence level?

After all of the bickering, I thought it was funny how nice they were being to each other when they believed the Native Americans were going to kill them. But wouldn't being killed make it difficult for Flynn to be using a journal from Lucy's future?

Lucy must have watched a lot of television when she was young, lol.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, at some point they will have to explore the "fixed points" of Dr. Who, or the Multiverse theory with multiple timelines, or the much more limited single fated final timeline, which they seem to have already implied doesn't exist.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations are in order for General Hospital’s Brandon Barash (Johnny Zacchara). He recently announced on Instagram that he’s landed a new gig. Soon, the actor is set to appear on NBC’s drama Timeless. On the time-hopping primetime show, Barash will portray a young Ernest Hemingway.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good show tonight, can anyone tell me who the guy was in the hotel, not the murderer but the other one. He looks so familiar...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
2buddy4u
Jan 16 2017, 11:45 PM
can anyone tell me who the guy was in the hotel, not the murderer but the other one.
John Hensley? He was on Nip/Tuck.

That was a good one. I liked the one before the break, too. But I was really hoping Lucy would be stuck with Flynn for awhile longer. They have good on-screen chemistry, and I wanted to see how Lucy would learn to work with a man she has philosophical differences with.

It still annoys me that there are rarely any present day consequences from them killing people. Like with Wyatt killing the Serial Killer guy.

My hopes are probably too high for what the show will do with Wyatt knowing the identity of his wife's killer, so I better tone it down to cautiously optimistic, lol.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read a book about the serial killer in Chicago during the world's fair so this was kind of odd. I also read a book, which had a lot about Benedict Arnold it is like they are taking my book interests and putting on tv ? :)

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
blosslover
Jan 18 2017, 10:21 PM
it is like they are taking my book interests and putting on tv ? :)
Do you ever feel like Lucy when she realizes she's in the presence of a famous person from history?

They mentioned the book about the serial killer in the review at AV Club. Sounds like it was a popular book.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Love the Houdini moments.

Yeah, the lack of "Butterfly Effect" is a big plothole - they need to come up with a hand wavey explanation. But i do love the nerdy geeky parts.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Jan 18 2017, 06:15 PM
2buddy4u
Jan 16 2017, 11:45 PM
can anyone tell me who the guy was in the hotel, not the murderer but the other one.
John Hensley? He was on Nip/Tuck.

Oh thank you that was really bothering me. I remember him now, he was Christians son passed off as Sean's.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Haven't seen him in awhile. Yeah, he might be one of those I'd know-I-know-him, but could have trouble placing... since they tended to change Matt's appearance (and character traits, usually) from season to season...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jan 20 2017, 12:20 PM
Yeah, he might be one of those I'd know-I-know-him, but could have trouble placing... since they tended to change Matt's appearance (and character traits, usually) from season to season...
The funny thing is that I was going to say something like, "If Dax watched this show he'd know..." but then I figured it out while I was watching the episode.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wyatt??? What happened to Wyatt??

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: