Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Saturday Night Live; Season 42
Topic Started: Sep 12 2016, 12:37 PM (1,106 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Premiere is 10/1. Host not yet named.

Vanessa Bayer -- 7th and final season
Beck Bennett -- 4th season
Aidy Bryant -- 5th season
Michael Che - 3rd season
Pete Davidson - 3rd season
Leslie Jones - 3rd season
Colin Jost -- 4th season
Kate McKinnon -- 6th season
Kyle Mooney -- 4th season
Bobby Moynihan -- 9th and final season
Cecily Strong -- 5th season
Kenan Thompson -- 14th season (ties longest-run with Darrell Hammond)
Sasheer Zamata -- 4th and final season
Featuring
Mikey Day - New (but was a writer for Seasons 39-41, joined in 2013)
Alex Moffat - New
Melissa Villaseñor - New

Out - Taran Killam, Jay Pharoah, Jon Rudnitsky.
Promoted up - Che, Davidson, Jones.
New - Day, Moffat, Villaseñor.

13 main, 3 featured players. 7 men, 6 women in main; 2 men, 1 woman featured; 9 men and 7 women in cast (but two of the men are pretty much 'Update only').
Hammond, in his third season as announcer, will continue to portray (Bill) Clinton.
Alec Baldwin starting the season as Trump.

Head writers this year are Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider. They've been with the show since 2011.

--

From the Variety article on the newcomers >>

Mikey Day joined “SNL” as a writer in Season 39, with Season 42 marking his first year as a featured player. He served as a co-head writer and cast member on NBC’s sketch show “Maya & Marty” this summer, with previous credits including writing and performing for “Robot Chicken,” “Mad” and “Kath and Kim.”

Alex Moffat was a regular performer at iO Chicago and The Annoyance Theatre before joining “SNL.”

Melissa Villaseñor is an impressionist and stand-up comedian who has lent her voice to “Adventure Time,” “Family Guy” and “TripTank,” in addition to working on Más Mejor, a premium comedy studio from Lorne Michaels’ Broadway Video banner that showcases Latino talent.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snl-cast-additions-season-42-927040

--

Funny - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/taran-killam-hard-knocks-parody-926621
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/kate-mckinnons-emmy-win-marks-a-notable-first-for-saturday-night-live

--

Margot Robbie and The Weeknd are the first show..

EDIT - Lin-Manuel Miranda and Twenty One Pilots are on 10/8.

Hm. A 9/28 promo video with Alec Baldwin getting suited up as Trump was on SNL's twitter today. Should be fun, but I'm sure they're going to need him in all of the first four or five shows... hope this doesn't mean Darrell won't still be doing him... Suppose it might just mean they need Darrell to be Bill...

Update - Tina's idea... http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/09/29/alec-baldwin-saturday-night-live-donald-trump-lorne-michaels/91294676/

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hillary on SNL - 7 appearances by Jan Hooks, 18 by Amy Poehler, 4 by Vanessa Bayer, 1 each by Janeane Garofalo, Drew Barrymore, Rachel Dratch, and Miley Cyrus.

15 so far by recent Emmy winner Kate McKinnon.

Trump on SNL - 5 appearances by Phil Hartman, 1 by Jason Sudeikis, 3 by Taran Killam, and 27 by Darrell Hammond.

Current record holder for hosting the most shows (16, besting Steve Martin by one) Alec Baldwin makes his Trump debut on tomorrow night's show.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very excited for tonight's 'debate' on SNL. Should be fun.

Not sure what the show is going to do if Trump wins election. They will have to hire a full-time Trump impersonator. :P

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Obviously the least of our worries should the Worst Thing That Could Happen happens, but... I expect we'd get Darrell doing Trump again more often than Alec, sure. No need for a new hire if an old pro is already in the building.

We're going into the season without an Obama, but think we may see Fred back for him a time or two. Armisen did it 36 times between 2/23/08 and 5/12/12. Jay Pharoah did it 26 times between 9/15/12 and 5/21/16.

http://parade.com/511410/lhochwald/politics-schmolitics-how-snl-makes-election-years-fun/

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/snl-lorne-michaels-why-jay-pharoah-taran-killam-cut-1201732539/

I had no idea these guys were axed.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd posted it, but still in the S41 thread since it was in-between news... And see Taram's 'Hard Knocks' video, it's funny...

I like both of them, but don't think it's any kind of tragedy that they did six years instead of seven. The average SNL cast tenure used to be five or fewer years, but it's crept up to 5-7 recently...

Alec was good.

Margot Robbie is really hot.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't watched regularly for some time but made a point to watch the season opener on demand. The debate was great. Baldwin as Trump was pure genius. Margot Robbie was really good. Great opening for the season.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
#2 - very strong show. Loved Crucible Cast Party and Wells Fargo/Music Man... Lin-Manuel's monologue song was great. The 'Kellyanne's Day' short had a lot of big laughs.

Emily Blunt next week.

Tom Hanks, the week after, hosting for the 9th time, but the first since 5/6/06..

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Am really enjoying SNL so far this season.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've been taping it and watched last week's but I fast-forwarded everything but the political stuff. That stuff was pretty good. Some of the new cast is pretty good as well

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Do hope Will Ferrell turns up tomorrow to play Harry Caray in Heaven.

11/12 show will be hosted by Dave Chappelle (his first time... 5 out of the first 6 hosts this year are first-timers; Tom Hanks the only one not...).

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
My friend attended the dress rehearsal for #5, the Cumberbatch show. Saw Alec, Dana, Bill Murray, the Cubs... fun night to be there. She said it was pretty substantially different from the air show (which is normal).

-

So now what?

I kinda hope Baldwin does one more week, but maybe the end of the last one (breaking character, going off into the streets, the happy music) was the perfect exit.

I'd rather Darrell resume Trump than anyone else in the cast.

It probably won't happen, but now that Kenan Thompson has tied Hammond's 14 year longest-running cast tenure (with the +3 announcer asterisk), it'd be fun to see Hammond re-JOIN the cast, something that never really happens (Harry Shearer was in two casts, Al Franken was a Featured in separate eras).

If Hammond and/or Lorne are disinterested in going that route, I'd guess Beck Bennett might get a shot at Trump (except he's playing Pence...).

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hillary Clinton (Kate McKinnon) performs Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec

Amazing.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow!!

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, that was perfect. Chills. So good.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Made Mark watch Dave Chappelle. :D

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fairly strong show overall, but that opening goes in the pantheon... didn't think Cohen's death would constitute 'perfect timing', for sure, but... just an awesome performance by McKinnon.

Lots of hilarious negativity about it on SNL's facebook comments threads, on twitter and at deadline, and elsewhere, I'm sure. These people are sore winners.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/alec-baldwin-responds-to-donald-trumps-snl-criticism-w451563

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
12/3 - Emma Stone, 3rd time.
12/10 - John Cena, 1st time.
12/17 - Casey Affleck, 1st time.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/arts/television/a-tangerine-wig-and-a-tightrope-walk-alec-baldwin-as-donald-j-trump.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Any thoughts about the Casey Affleck controversy/being on SNL?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't see much of a controversy. Ausiello questioning Lorne's favoritism over movie people to tv stars, but it's not a new thing, and yeah, sometimes there will be a 'huh, that seems like maybe an odd choice of host', but his article came off as 'hey, they should pick MY favorite people'...

I did (seeing that Affleck had the last-before-Christmas slot) think it was a little weird, since that's often an alumni show, a Jimmy-and-or-Justin cameo-filled night... but Kristen was just on a few weeks ago, so... John Goodman and Fred turned up... it was fine...

Ten shows in, and Alec has been there for eight of them...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I meant the controversy over accusations against Affleck re: violence towards women.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh. (Google)

Yeah, sounds like there's some messy shit in his past... he has been fortunate so far that the allegations are not totally widespread...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.nme.com/news/tv/watch-alec-baldwin-impersonate-donald-trump-at-anti-trump-rally-1952635

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer was gold. And to know that it bothered President Pussygrabber enough to demote Spicer... lovely.

So Rosie O'Donnell wants to take Steve Bannon (from Mikey Day-in-the-Reaper-mask), and that would be great fun.

Christine Baranski wants to be Betty DeVos, but I expect SNL would probably go in-house (Kate McKinnon) for her...

--

On Saturday, Alec Baldwin hosts for the 17th time.

List of Alec's hosting record
-
1 - 4.21.90 - Season 15, episode 18
2 - 2.23.91 - 16.14
3 - 2.13.93 - 18.13 - Paul McCartney on 'The Chris Farley Show' that night .. 'Remember when you were in the Beatles? That was awesome...'
4 - 2.12.94 - 19.13 - Co-host with then-wife Kim Basinger. Goodfellas parody; Billy and Stephen Baldwin join on Family Feud; the Adam Sandler Canteen Boy sketch.
5 - 12.10.94 - 20.8
6 - 1.20.96 - 21.11 - First Bill Brasky sketch.
7 - 2.22.97 - 22.14
8 - 12.12.98 - 24.9 - First Pete Schwetty. Alec's final Brasky sketch (John Goodman in it, too)
9 - 4.7.01 - 26.16 - Second Pete Schwetty.
10 - 4.20.02 - 27.18 - First Tony Bennett.
11 - 11.15.03 - 29.6
12 - 12.10.05 -31.8 - Glengarry Christmas elves, 'Always Be Cobbling'...
13 - 11.11.06 - 32.5 - Cameos galore - Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Steve Martin, Martin Short, Paul McCartney, the real Tony Bennett..
14 - 2.14.09 - 34.16 - Jack McBrayer and Dan Aykroyd cameos.
15 - 5.5.10 - 35.22 - Steve Martin in filmed cameo on the occasion that Alec has tied his record. Only season finale Alec has hosted.
16 - 9.24.11 - 37.1 - Steve Martin cameo on the occasion that Alec has PASSED his record. Only season premiere Alec has hosted.
17 - 2.11.17 - 42.14.

The hosting record
-
Steve Martin had a 15 year and 11 show head start on Baldwin, but... Steve's 14th was between Alec's 12 & 13... Steve's 15th (and most recent) was just prior to Alec's 14th... Alec tied Steve's 15 record on May 15, 2010 and passed him (#16) on September 24, 2011.

Steve hasn't hosted since January 31, 2009. He really needs to step it up a bit.

-

Alec has played Tony Bennett on SNL seven times, four as the host of 'The Tony Bennett Show'.

Alec was in the first three (of six) of the Will Ferrell 'drunk salesmen' sketches, where the guys toast to absent Bill Brasky.

Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon's 'Delicious Dish' NPR radio show aired 15 times between November 1996 and May 2010, but the most memorable of these were Alec's appearances on their 9th and 13th installments. Everybody loves his Schwetty Balls.

Alec co-starred with Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock for seven seasons, 2006-13. They made 138 episodes.

-

Cameos by Alec on SNL
-
1 - 10.2.04 - 30.1 - Ben Affleck hosting.
2 - 2.4.06 - 31.12 - Steve Martin hosting (14th time).
3 - 12.9.06 -32.8 - Annette Bening.
4 - 4.14.07 - 32.17 - Shia LaBeouf (Alec appears in a short film).
5 - 10.18.08 - 34.5 - Josh Brolin. That super-awkward encounter with the real Sarah Palin...
6 - 12.10.11 - 37.9 - Katy Perry. Alec on Update.
7 - 12.15.12 - 38.10 - Martin Short; a huge all-star show. Alec is Tony Bennett.
8 - 3.9.13 - 38.16 - Justin Timberlake joins the Five Timers Club.
9 - 10.26.13 - 39.4 - Edward Norton.
Big 40th anniversary show - 2.15.15. Alec does Tony Bennett on Celebrity Jeopardy.
10 - 10.17.15 - 41.3 - Tracy Morgan. Alec and 30 Rock's Tina, Jane Krakowski, and Jack McBrayer support Tracy's return; Alec is Jim Webb in the Democrats' debate.

... and beginning with the first episode of Season 42, Alec has been Trump.

There have been 13 shows so far, and he has only skipped three of them (#s 6, 9, and 12).

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night's show.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
SNL has been getting 'best in twenty years' ratings lately, because Trump. So starting 8/10, they're gonna have Che and Jost (and more) do four editions of Weekend Update on Thursdays. Cool. Makes sense, coming back early rather than taking the whole summer off. When rumors of a primetime run surfaced a month or so back, I wondered 'well... it's tough to do TWO shows a week...'. This way, they're not doubling up...

During Season 34 (October '08), there were three primetime Thursday editions.
In 35 (Sept/Oct '09), they did three more.
In 38 (Sept '12), they did two.
Last summer (pre-42), MSNBC aired (and then they were on-line) two special editions from the conventions.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Next show is Louis CK on 4/8.

For the last four shows, they'll be going live in all time zones (this doesn't mean they're doing multiple shows - they're just live-feeding everywhere instead of offering up primetime repeats...). This is cool. A lot of the cameos and 'surprises' are often spoiled just by being on facebook after 8:30 (but I don't mind... I'm not trying to avoid them or anything... but for these four, we'll all be experiencing the 'live' at the same time...)

Since all the remaining hosts have been announced (last four are Jimmy Fallon, Chris Pine, Melissa McCarthy, and Dwayne Johnson), I can do this part of the year-end wrap-up early --

21 shows in Season 42.
-
12 first time hosts - Margot Robbie, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emily Blunt, Benedict Cumberbatch, Dave Chappelle, John Cena, Casey Affleck, Felicty Jones, Aziz Ansari, Kristen Stewart, Octavia Spencer, and Chris Pine.
1 second time alumni host - Kristen Wiig.
1 third time alumni host - Jimmy Fallon.
1 third time host - Emma Stone.
1 fourth time host - Louis CK.
3 joining the Five Timers Club - Scarlet Johansson, Melissa McCarthy, and Dwayne Johnson.
1 ninth time host - Tom Hanks.
1 seventeenth time host (stretching his lead over Steve Martin to two) - Alec Baldwin.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Musical guests this season -
The Weeknd, Twenty One Pilots, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Solange, A Tribe Called Quest, The XX, Shawn Mendes, Marren Morris, Chance the Rapper, Sturgill Simpson, Big Sean, Alessia Cara, Ed Sheeran, Father John Misty, Lorde, The Chainsmokers, Harry Styles, LCD Soundsystem, Haim, and Katy Perry.

-

Melissa McCarthy tomorrow is going to be fun.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: