Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Watching and Sampling; Plans to view, pilot samplings 2016-17 season
Topic Started: Aug 30 2016, 04:03 PM (4,203 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree about Pullman but I have to say she is better in this world than I thought she would be and the show is pretty good especially since there's not much to watch other than the streaming stuff.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Two left of the sinner I am enjoying it quite a bit.

We sampled the deuce and Top of the Lake China Girl. Interesting the way women are demeaned in both of the shows. Both shows kind of depressing. Is Australia really this retarded? To all the men there sit around looking at Asian whores instead of having relationships?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Sep 13 2017, 11:19 AM
To all the men there sit around looking at Asian whores instead of having relationships?
Are you referring to the computer nerdy guys? I think most of them are probably intimidated by the experience of being rejected by a woman, so the interaction with the Asian prostitutes seems safer for them.

I enjoyed parts 1 and 2 (Sunday night) of TOTL:China Girl. I have a bunch of episodes of Preacher saved up, so I'm going to finish that before I watch more of China Girl.

The previews for The Deuce didn't appeal to me but Alan Sepinwall gave it a pretty good review, so I thought I"d give it a try...but turned it off after about 5 minutes.

Jessica Biel is probably the main reason I'm still enjoying The Sinner. She's giving a fine performance. I think I liked the mood of the early episodes more than I like these later episodes dealing with the reveal of the mystery. I still think it could have been better if the detective had been cast with someone other than Bill Pullman.
Edited by bilki, Sep 14 2017, 05:33 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Keep forgetting that I wanted to check out The Sinner...

Anxious to see The Deuce. Expect to like it a lot.

Will watch TOTL:China Girl, but haven't started yet..

New season. New thread coming..

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched a little of TOTL and have been watching Sinner (am committed to that despite my many quibbles and groans) but the truth is that I am just all tapped out about watching shows where the main focus is somehow about raping women or little girls or the rape of women or little girls or women or little girls who have been raped or rape.

Women have a lot more to them than simply being rape victims, rapists (I'm sure we'll get this soon), prostitutes or somehow victims or monsters. Seriously. I am just done with this. Which is one reason I will again plug: Queen Sugar when it comes back and also Greenleaf (which did open with the suicide of a rape victim and had a major storyline about someone who had a thing for young teenage girls and is now exploring more about dating violence in young teens. It's a bit preachy but it's about a black megachurch in the south and the whole clan of the church familie(s) and their struggles. Less rapey than a lot of shows with a lot of female characters, as is Queen Sugar which is just so visually lush that it makes me sigh to see it.

I also am not interested in shows with zombies (and yes, I am in for the end of GOT although it has been more than a little rapey in the past and now its army of the dead...), prostitutes, rapes, rape victims, criminal families or drug crime families. I just am not into it.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What are your quibbles and groans about The Sinner?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I feel very much as though Sinners is doing its level best to hit upon an awful lot of stereotypes of sex, sexual repression, sexual abuse, etc. It's trying too hard and hitting an awful lot of stuff.

Also if it were so darn likely that a person who had been raped would just go bonkers and shot one of her rapists years later, having lived an outwardly normal life during the intervening years, there would be an awful lot more dead guys around.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir
Sep 17 2017, 02:08 PM
there would be an awful lot more dead guys around.
Good point.

Perhaps there's some connection to the Detective's sexual proclivities and the rest of the story but it's going right over my head if there is one.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have the last two sinners to watch and hope it wraps up with some semblance of realism.

We are watching the deuce and Get Shorty and I'm not really sold on either one of them. I really do not like Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role in the deuce I think she is totally wrong for it. I can't figure out what the characters have to do with one another either half the time I am looking at my phone when it's on but my husband seems to like it.

I really like Top of the Lake I have an hour to go but it is depressing in that it seems like everybody in Australia can only have a relationship with a computer or hore and I am rather disappointed in that the main character seems ineffective in so many ways.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There was one moment in the finale of The Sinner that made the episode worth it for me. I was disappointed that I didn't figure one major thing out, because it felt rather obvious when I looked back at all that happened. Some of the resolving plot points were par-for-the-course for these types of shows.

The daughter's fiance in China Girl is such an asshole that I found myself mostly frustrated through the middle two hours. I'll probably finish the final two hours tomorrow night.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was satisfied with the ending of The Sinner although I too feel like I should have figured that relationship out that was brought forward at the very end of the show. Don't want to spoil it for someone who may watch but anyhow I think the series was worthwhile.

I was disappointed with the ending of China girl and I could have choked the daughter numerous times. There was no excuse for her behavior and she had a nice family that had adopted her and a good upbringing. Frankly I would have thrown her out of the house change the locks and let her go with her slimebag boyfriend. But you know me I always take the Hardline :-)

Lots of new shows but I don't know what to even sample. We watch the brave and I thought it was very formula attic and I probably won't watch another one. Besides the lead actor is just too good looking for the role he is the guy from The Dome. Designated Survivor is coming back and I will only watch it if I can't find a couple of other shows I call it designated boring. I have the series about the Menendez brothers started to record but my husband doesn't think he wants to watch it.

We are going to record this series called liar. We watch the Star Trek show not knowing that it was going to be going to the pay Channel. I won't pay to see it it wasn't that great.

Would be glad to hear what other people are sampling and watching.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched the first of Star Trek: Discovery. It was okay. I am not going to pay for CBS: All Access either (but I will see The Good Fight eventually...).

If a show is starting now or soon, go to the 17-18 season thread (the new one).

I know I usually have a 'summer' thread, and skipped it this year...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Sep 28 2017, 01:55 PM
We watch the Star Trek show not knowing that it was going to be going to the pay Channel. I won't pay to see it it wasn't that great.

Would be glad to hear what other people are sampling and watching.
ST: D (Makes me laugh every time...) reviews seem to suggest the first two episodes were very uncharacteristic of the series overall. I agree I wasn't impressed, and really didn't like the new Klingon "look" at all. I am hopeful they back down and allow the series to stream in other places or OnDemand at some point.

I tried SEALS, just because I like David Boreanaz. It was a pretty typical NCIS style series, to the point I expect they are grooming Boreanaz as the next CBS patriarch to replace Harmon. It was watchable, and is exactly the ind of show I half-watch while grading papers or watch while falling asleep since I can't read in bed any more.

I don't intend to sample much new this season, though I did binge Wynona Earp, which was great fun in an OTT ridiculous-premise way. Let's start with the idea that Doc Holliday is immortal and a witch has had him stuck in a well for the last 150 yrs. LOL

Been slowly watching Ken Burns' Vietnam series. Nothing new to me since I've been teaching a unit on Vietnam forever, but well done and moving.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Stream elsewhere or OnDemand, doubt it (unless the business model TOTALLY fails..), but I expect there will be dvd releases eventually...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The daughter on China Girl was a challenging character. I think she was so devastated by Robin not responding to her letter all those years ago that all she could do was lash out at her parents. The creepy, older boyfriend probably lavished her with compliments in the beginning, and he also served as a good way to stick it to her parents once again. I had to read the creepy, older boyfriend as being so angry at his own mother that he couldn't help but cause pain and suffering to other mothers. He was such a rotten human being. I did appreciate that the show got me to try to figure out unlikable characters, rather than just hate them and hope for their demise.

Nicole Kidman was great at playing a woman strongly driven by her insecurities but still just on that edge of being sympathetic. I enjoyed the exploration of motherhood between her character and Robin (Elizabeth Moss). It sucked that the surrogates were able to leave with the babies but I felt mostly satisfied with the ending.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: