Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Watching and Sampling; Plans to view, pilot samplings 2016-17 season
Topic Started: Aug 30 2016, 04:03 PM (2,784 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/20-new-fall-tv-shows-to-get-excited-about

New stuff I'll be checking out that's in Sepinwall's piece
-
Atlanta on FX (9/6)
Better Things on FX (9/8)
The Good Place on NBC (9/19)
This Is Us on NBC (9/20)
Luke Cage on Netflix (9/30)
Westworld on HBO (10/2)

Maybe
-
Designated Survivor on ABC (9/21)
Timeless on NBC (10/3)
Frequency on CW (10/5)
Divorce on HBO (10/9)

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-could-owns-queen-sugar-be-tvs-next-great-family-drama Sounds good (love Turman; Rutina Wesley is a friend-of-friends-that-went-to-high-school-with-her), but... I'm not going to make time for it NOW... maybe... later...

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't care that I have an easy/low-stress workday... I wanna go home and watch tv and love my kitties...

Still haven't seen the debuts of Atlanta, Better Things, or the stealth-preview of Son of Zorn, but I will be doing that soon.

And NBC's The Good Place premieres tonight, though it's normally going to be on Thursdays. I love Kristen Bell, Ted Danson, and the work of creator Michael Schur (The Office, Parks & Recreation, Brooklyn Nine-Nine), so I will be watching that. http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-schur-knows-where-good-place-going-thanks--242700

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Getting excited about Westworld, but it's been bothering me that I haven't seen the 1973 Michael Crichton movie... gonna try to do that soon ($5.49 for a dvd on Amazon) ...

(there was a 1976 sequel, Futureworld, and a 5-episode-but-only-3-made-it-to-air 1980 tv series, Beyond Westworld, fun trivia...)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There is not much I want to watch so far but a few things up coming like the new series with Kiefer Sutherland. The original movie Westworld was quite good but then I haven't seen it for so long I wonder what I would think of it if I saw it now. I am looking forward to the series.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Designated Survivor is the Kiefer... Wednesday on ABC.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched Westworld back when they started talking about doing the series on HBO. I liked the concept of it but I remember that my attention started to wander before the end of it. The previews for the series look good but my gut is telling me that I'm not going to love it.

While I have a strong dislike of SJP as that Sex in the City character, I'm amused by the previews for Divorce.

I'll watch Luke Cage, though I'm not nearly as excited after that lackluster season of Daredevil.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did write down a couple new shows to tape. The Sarah Jessica Parker thing is not one of them. I did watch sex in the city for a while in the beginning but got tired of that pretty quick. We always start out by taking 5 or 6 shows and then end up with one or two that we like.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
grrrr - missed the KB TD show. I'll wanna catch that.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Good Place was funny. I didn't know what to expect, so it came as a pleasant surprise. Kristin Bell and William Jackson Harper played well off of each other. Danson did his thing, though I enjoyed him more on Curb.

I'll check out This is Us on Sepinwall's recommendation.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really liked This Is Us. I think it has alot of potential. The ending was really good, didn't see it coming.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked it too, the end was great!!

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm not sure what I think about The Good Place. It might be one of those shows where I can't suspend disbelief since I've read way to much SF and spec fiction about the afterlife. Right now it seems pretty illogical and nonsensical, which is okay when we're learning about KB's character and Chidi, and Tahini. Eventually, for me, there needs to be some meat on the premise. (I'm voting that it's an alien experiment a la The Truman Show.) But I'll give it a chance.
Edited by KMInfinity, Sep 21 2016, 05:01 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That's not on my list I don't consider Heaven science fiction. And I really don't like Danson.

We tried Bull last night. Watch that live because we were having a late dinner. I'm on the fence. It was a tad silly but also scary and depressing in some ways. Scary in that this probably can be done because they know so much about you from what you post on the Internet etc. Certainly for me is less than many young people because I don't post every thing like they do still they would have enough to know my political leanings and things like that. Also it's depressing because obviously he works for very wealthy people who can afford this kind of thing. I guess every week he will solve a murder because the person he is defending will be innocent and that is pretty hokey. But of course after watching a show like the night of, and knowing what kind of pathetic defense poor people get this really is pretty depressing

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We usually watch NCIS live well we're having dinner and will continue to do so just because it's on and I like Mark Harmon. I don't know whose idea it was to give Michael Weatherby his own show but I would predict it won't laugh even having NCIS as a lead-in

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I enjoyed This Is Us. It got close to that line of being a little too sentimental for my taste but the emotions felt like they were earned. Justin Hartley's character's rant about the people who are at fault for mindless television was funny.

SPOILER ALERT!

I'm tempted to go back and watch the scenes from 1980 to see if it wasn't noticeable before the ending. Tricky, tricky!
Edited by bilki, Sep 21 2016, 11:01 AM.

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ya, I was lost when the fireman lit a cigarette, till i realized what was up...interesting!

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
2buddy4u
Sep 21 2016, 08:56 PM
Ya, I was lost when the fireman lit a cigarette, till i realized what was up...interesting!
Me, too! I thought maybe I had just watched a show about time travel, lol.

I did go back and watch some of those scenes and it's noticeable in the technology at the hospital. But the camera is really focused on the actors, so it's almost as if it's disguised in the background. I'm sure there are plenty of people who noticed it before the reveal at the end, though.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
This Is Us (NBC)
-
Milo Ventimiglia -- Jack
Mandy Moore -- Rebecca
Sterling K. Brown -- Randall
Chrissy Metz -- Kate
Justin Hartley -- Kevin
Susan Kelechi Watson -- Beth
Chris Sullivan -- Toby
and Ron Cephas Jones -- William Hill

I liked it. Not sure if I'm entirely sold on sticking with it, but I'll see #2.

I was spoiled, but think I would have gotten it before the reveal... Rebecca's hospital room looked pretty low-tech..

Thought a lot of the same things Sepinwall said in his review..

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Anybody watch Designated Survivor? I'm crushed for time (and not really interested in the premise - don't trust that I'm gonna like it), so I think I'm gonna skip it, but I was curious as to what any of you thought of it...

My college-and-has-the-party-every-NYE-for-the-last-bunch-of-years friend (Michael Bunin) that had the TBS show My Boys for four seasons awhile back starts a recurring gig on NBC's Superstore tonight. I'm gonna watch - have heard/read decent-enough things about the show... kinda meant to sample it when it premiered last November, but didn't have the chance... America Ferrara, Mark McKinney from Kids in the Hall, Ben Feldman (Ginsberg on Mad Men)... Has anybody sampled this? They aired 11 Nov-Feb, and then a 12th during the Olympics...

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I recorded Designated Survivor but haven't gotten to it yet. I plan on watching it tonight or tomorrow.

I enjoy Superstore. Its not brilliant or anything but it has enough laughs that I stuck with it for the whole season and left it to record for the new season. McKinney is really funny here. Feldman really reminds me of young Scott Baio and that distracts me sometimes. Though I like Ferrara, she plays the straightman and I dont love her doing that. The rest of the cast is the real draw even though she is by far the biggest name. Its definitely worth checking out for a few mindless laughs and to see someone you know.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll definitely watch the 3 or 4 he's going to be in..

Mom and Dad liked Designated Survivor a lot, and they also enjoyed Fox's Lethal Weapon ("Really?!" I was surprised).

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am irritated cuz I forgot to record Designated Survivor. I hope I can catch it on demand.

And actually liking American Horror Story. It is somewhat like a prolonged b-rated horror show but so far I think it's holding my interest

2buddy4u
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked Designated Survivor, I think there is a lot more to the story and it will be interesting seeing it all come together.

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
I liked it too. I am in for at least 1 or 2 more before I decide on the full season.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finally watched This Is Us - and nearly 100% of our faculty are watching it so I might stick with it just to have chit chat. :P

JIC
Spoiler: click to toggle

Overall, it could be a strong family drama, if it doesn't become too "current event issues driven" with the PC stuff that can slide down into what Joss Whedon mocked as "Afterschool Special" plots.

I'm thinking this one needs its own thread.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I watched the pilot. One thing was the ages of the characters as it was written earlier than it aired, and a 36 year old now wouldn't have been that age when the Challenger disaster happened. I liked it, but I wasn't weepy, though considering everyone was like this is weepy makes me less likely to do the same.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We watched Designated Survivor on demand and I liked it well enough to start recording it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We tried The Exorcist and I don't know if we will keep watching it. I think it's a five-part miniseries or something like that. It's filmed in Chicago and and that's one of the reasons I decided to watch it. It is fairly accurate in that a lot of the old churches that were losing parishioners have been taken over by the Hispanics because they are mostly Catholic and they actually go to church. Also some of the neighborhoods are very mixed. So this church looked kind of accurate for several of the neighborhoods in Chicago.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Exorcist has an initial order of 13. Not a mini-series.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: