Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Americans; Season 4
Topic Started: Mar 14 2016, 11:48 AM (1,352 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I am a little wary of watching "The Paige Show."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I actually like how his character has been developing over time, mostly. He has always been conflicted moreso that Elizabeth, and between thinking Paige might be recruited, and Gene, I think he's got PTSD type trauma finally surfacing. It can be dormant for decades.

I see this all the time with middle school kids, who were borderline this-n-that (like ADD) but then cross over the line when the hormones and stress hit. Lots of time people can cope with a lot - like the camel and the straws - and then.....one more thing happens.

I was actually pleased Paige went to the pastor. I was really hoping she didn't become some mini-mom super spy all of the sudden. It makes sense to me that she will be conflicted by her parents' lives, but in fact lean HEAVILY towards acceptance of the culture she has been raised in. Research consistently shows that parents and teachers are much further down on the list when it comes to teen influence. It's all about the peers and the culture from 12-20. In fact, Phillip and Elizabeth did their jobs too well assimilating. Paige would be riper for recruitment if she felt alienated and lonely and angry. :P

I also really liked the stuff with Martha, and the stuff with the residentura.

The plots with the scientist and Nina bores me, but everything else is working and I enjoyed the premiere.

I forget...they are NOT working her real life pregnancy into the show, right? (So weird to me for some reason that she and Matthew Rhys are a couple IRL.)

Good 'new season' article: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-cruel-irony-of-the-americans

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I sort of missed the conversation between Stan and JohnBoy ( :P ). Was the audience deliberately kept in the dark with ambiguousness, or did I miss some key info that made the conversation make sense? They seemed to imply they had a way to 'turn' Oleg but that didn't happen. Because I did wonder if Nina is coming back and Stan was lying to Oleg. I guess it could have been about something else, or Oleg is a slow moving plan?

EST sounds nearly as bad as Scientology. Are there still EST-ers around? Wonder what their POV would be.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So there's an endgame for EST. Money back guarantee? :P

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree Nina needed to die, and I agree however the pacing and the storyline seems weird. I expect the event will propel Oleg Igorevich Burov to some important action/change. I predict Stan turns him, he seeks asylum? Betrays the Rezidentura? (I can never remember his name. Does he have a nickname i can use? And I can never remember the name of the KGB center within the Rezidentura that are the hub of the power directing Gabriel, Claudia, and our 'heroes' Elizabeth and Phillip.)

If true, then I think there should have been a tighter connection. Oleg could have lost his brother and returned to Russia earlier, visited with Nina, gotten his hopes up, yada yada.

Good article from January about the real illegals spying here... http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/01/29/former-cia-spies-call-the-americans-more-exciting-than-reality

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes. the Directorate S....

I meant does Oleg have a nickname. For some reason I never remember Oleg.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought the beginning of the season was strong, but now it's sagging. Too much time on Pastor Tim and Paige, and as much as I like Langella and Baker, the stuff with William seems pointless. I appreciate long term payoffs but I think there's too many balls in the air to keep my patience. I want more about Henry and Stan, and Oleg and Stan, and the actual work of the FBI and the 'illegals.'

And whatever happened to the teen girl (Kimberly?) who was the daughter of a high level govt poobah? Did I miss or forget a conclusion to that arc?

I dunno, this one seemed super weak. The only thing that really held my interest was Oleg.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Martha's cluelessness about the reality of her life horrifies me. Makes me wonder what huge misconceptions I'm walking around thinking. :P

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Apr 22 2016, 09:38 PM
"And everyone will know that you're KGB," gave me goosebumps.
Yes. Because Clark has carefully not said much.

I think the show is consistently taking Philip's side in matters (Like, not wanting to leave Martha to deal with William). What it means in the long run, not sure. He turns, and leaves Elizabeth in the end?

I forget the original intro. Is William a turned American, or a long term illegal like Phillip and Elizabeth? The comment about his wife seemed confusing.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes Krystal, I think that was his original cover story - that he worked for some secret defense dept that kept tabs on the agencies (a la the NSA today). I think it was when the FBI office found the pen, he had to let out the truth as she realized too much didn't add up...BUT he never told Elizabeth or Gabriel that he had pretty much dropped the subterfuge with Martha.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I originally read (after S3?) they only intended to do five seasons and had their plans developed accordingly. I'll check PTV and see if that's a plan...

This one was slow for me, for some reason I didn't think Martha would be killed at all. How did the FBI eavesdrop on her call to her parents, but not hear the call to Phillip/the call drop center?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ah, that does make sense. Thanks!

Paranoia strikes deep.... :D

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree the pacing seems to be 'off' but this show does have a history of slow build so I'll cut it some slack. I do think we have not heard the last of Martha. She's actually still 'en route' so maybe she tries to dodge in Prague?

I think Nina's death was intended to propel this whole 'turn' Oleg (Borov) plot that keeps being hinted with Stan. Maybe they are gonna play with the "MAD balance" and show how one side wins something (Martha's info/escape) and then the other side (Stan turns Oleg).

That was an awesome scene with Elizabeth and Paige - I also wonder if it's going to be Paige who ends up approving of the execution of the minister and family and who she decides. I can easily see Elizabeth laying out the options for Paige if things get dicey, and rubbing her nose in the decision. Paige's ultimate loyalty could be an end game... Is she an "American?" Does she put her family ahead of politics (leading to support for the Soviets if P/E stay loyal) or does she ever see the Soviet side of the political/military/spy game POV? I have to admit I wasn't a big Paige fan but they've twisted the story into a place I'm interested in seeing develop.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wasn't impressed with the finale. I don't think I cared enough about William, and the situation seems too contrived, because I just don't believe they will go "home" to Russia.

It seemed a weird time to introduce Misha-the-son....

There were some good scenes, like Stan inviting Phillip in and talking about Paige and his son getting married. :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply