Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Americans; Season 4
Topic Started: Mar 14 2016, 11:48 AM (1,285 Views)
Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/76423/can-the-americans-sustain-the-secrets-and-lies-in-season-4/

Back on Wednesday..
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the reminder! I'm not excited for this new season but I am going to give the show a chance to win me back....not that it gives a damn whether I watch it or not.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I am a little wary of watching "The Paige Show."

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I like Dylan Baker... Glad he's in (and as a regular, too..).

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes supposed to be more about the daughter. We'll see how that goes.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought it was odd that we're just now seeing Philip struggle with killing that kid when he was young. It seems like something that would have been tormenting long before now.

The tension between Tatiana and Arkady was fun. Loved him knocking at the door and demanding she let him in.

It will be funny if somehow Martha ends up the 'hero' in all of this. She learns of a new horror about the man she believes to be her husband and goes right back to stealing secrets for him.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Might not have been tormenting him so much... But after child-like Gene, it's all come back to him...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I actually like how his character has been developing over time, mostly. He has always been conflicted moreso that Elizabeth, and between thinking Paige might be recruited, and Gene, I think he's got PTSD type trauma finally surfacing. It can be dormant for decades.

I see this all the time with middle school kids, who were borderline this-n-that (like ADD) but then cross over the line when the hormones and stress hit. Lots of time people can cope with a lot - like the camel and the straws - and then.....one more thing happens.

I was actually pleased Paige went to the pastor. I was really hoping she didn't become some mini-mom super spy all of the sudden. It makes sense to me that she will be conflicted by her parents' lives, but in fact lean HEAVILY towards acceptance of the culture she has been raised in. Research consistently shows that parents and teachers are much further down on the list when it comes to teen influence. It's all about the peers and the culture from 12-20. In fact, Phillip and Elizabeth did their jobs too well assimilating. Paige would be riper for recruitment if she felt alienated and lonely and angry. :P

I also really liked the stuff with Martha, and the stuff with the residentura.

The plots with the scientist and Nina bores me, but everything else is working and I enjoyed the premiere.

I forget...they are NOT working her real life pregnancy into the show, right? (So weird to me for some reason that she and Matthew Rhys are a couple IRL.)

Good 'new season' article: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-cruel-irony-of-the-americans

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought the show was off to a decent start. The longer I watch the more I feel bad for Stan and Martha. I can't recall why Philip is going to those est sessions. Pretty funny when Stan roughed him up in the meantime he has this bacterial weapon in his jacket. What they were saying about both sides continuing to work on bacterial weapons with absolutely true according to my microbiology professor.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Phillip initially went to a couple EST sessions with Stan, just tagging along with him... He continued because he was maybe sorta kinda getting something out of it (as silly as it all seems...).

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
And I think Stan went because his wife was going right? I am old enough to remember EST. I pretty much thought it was bullshit even then

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Right. He thought it'd show her that he was willing to do anything to save their marriage and blah blah blah... Didn't work.

A friend/boss in the late 90s was all involved with one of those bullshit money-thieving seminar things, that espouse common sense like it's Wisdom From Up Above... all that positive energy crap...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Was the man in the front of the bus hard-of-hearing? I could see the girl jamming to the music not being able to hear Philip killing the security guard but thought they were pushing it with the man in the front. It made me chuckle that the pilot left the bio-weapon on the seat.

I loved Elizabeth questioning Gabriel about whether her mother said she loved her.

For as much I've enjoyed Nina, this was episode that finally made me wish they'd put an end to her storyline. I'm not interested in watching her go back to prison, and it seems unrealistic that anything else would happen to her.

I wasn't expecting Paige to admit what she'd done. I love all of these issues piling up on Philip and Elizabeth.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I sort of missed the conversation between Stan and JohnBoy ( :P ). Was the audience deliberately kept in the dark with ambiguousness, or did I miss some key info that made the conversation make sense? They seemed to imply they had a way to 'turn' Oleg but that didn't happen. Because I did wonder if Nina is coming back and Stan was lying to Oleg. I guess it could have been about something else, or Oleg is a slow moving plan?

EST sounds nearly as bad as Scientology. Are there still EST-ers around? Wonder what their POV would be.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
With Gaad saying that he didn't thing Oleg would respond well to blackmail, I'm assuming they had gathered intel that Stan could use to manipulate him into a friendship....which is what Stan's condolences about Oleg's brother was all about.

In a way, est is still around--
Quote:

"est, Inc." evolved into "est, an Educational Corporation", and eventually into "Werner Erhard & Associates". In 1991 the business was sold to the employees who formed a new company called Landmark Education with Erhard's brother, Harry Rosenberg, becoming the CEO.[28] Landmark Education was structured as a for-profit, employee-owned company; it operates with a consulting division called Vanto Group.

It sounds more like enlightenment training than Scientology to me. est was only a 60 hour course and there's no Xenu involved, lol.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
So there's an endgame for EST. Money back guarantee? :P

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Why is Elizabeth selling Mary Kay?

Pretty messed up about the bacteria...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Mar 31 2016, 11:06 PM
Why is Elizabeth selling Mary Kay?
It would have been nice of them to give us a little more information about that mission, especially with all of the other stories they have playing out right now.

Always happy to see Claudia.

William trying to run off from Philip and Elizabeth after they told him about Gabriel was hilarious.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Apr 1 2016, 07:01 PM
It would have been nice of them to give us a little more information about that mission, especially with all of the other stories they have playing out right now.
Yup. My husband said "Why is she selling Mary-Kay" and I replied "Not a clue".

I am enjoying this show though. There finally seems like there is a lot going on and things are blowing up for Philip and Elizabeth right and left. It will be interesting how they get out of this mess.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The speculation seems to be that Young Hee's husband will be how Philip and Elizabeth with get Level 4 access for William.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Don't read this if you haven't seen the last show.

I can't believe that they killed Nina off. Why have the story about her if they weren't going to get her out of that prison. I was really pissed.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Apr 8 2016, 09:48 AM

I can't believe that they killed Nina off. Why have the story about her if they weren't going to get her out of that prison. I was really pissed.
Me too. All that story just to kill her made no sense.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well that's just it. If they were going to do that why did they just keep showing her and her relationship with the guy all that time they spent on that just became meaningless. Really pissed me off.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Any other ending for Nina would have been a made-for-TV fairy tale. She was a traitor to the USSR during some dark days. I love Nina but I would have been rolling my eyes all over the place if they had contrived a convenient way out for her. I do wish they'd done it last season, though. All that happened this season feels like they were just dragging out the inevitable.

I don't know if it's intentional (I'm leaning towards it is) but I feel like the show runners enjoy teasing us with some potential event, then snatch it away from us. As in all of this build up to having to kill Pastor Tim, then Elizabeth has a fever dream and decides to call the whole thing off. That's what pissed me off, lol.

Dylan Baker is good fun as William.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree Nina needed to die, and I agree however the pacing and the storyline seems weird. I expect the event will propel Oleg Igorevich Burov to some important action/change. I predict Stan turns him, he seeks asylum? Betrays the Rezidentura? (I can never remember his name. Does he have a nickname i can use? And I can never remember the name of the KGB center within the Rezidentura that are the hub of the power directing Gabriel, Claudia, and our 'heroes' Elizabeth and Phillip.)

If true, then I think there should have been a tighter connection. Oleg could have lost his brother and returned to Russia earlier, visited with Nina, gotten his hopes up, yada yada.

Good article from January about the real illegals spying here... http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/01/29/former-cia-spies-call-the-americans-more-exciting-than-reality

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I can never remember his name. Does he have a nickname i can use?
Arkady is the Rezident, the head of the Rezidentura.

Quote:

And I can never remember the name of the KGB center within the Rezidentura that are the hub of the power directing Gabriel, Claudia, and our 'heroes' Elizabeth and Phillip.
The Centre is what they call their headquarters back in Russia. Are you thinking of Directorate S? That's the name of the program that dealt with the Illegals in the US.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes. the Directorate S....

I meant does Oleg have a nickname. For some reason I never remember Oleg.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Poor Martha. The Valium should make her feel good, though. That episode made me wish she would use her gun on "Clark" and ride off into the sunset.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought the beginning of the season was strong, but now it's sagging. Too much time on Pastor Tim and Paige, and as much as I like Langella and Baker, the stuff with William seems pointless. I appreciate long term payoffs but I think there's too many balls in the air to keep my patience. I want more about Henry and Stan, and Oleg and Stan, and the actual work of the FBI and the 'illegals.'

And whatever happened to the teen girl (Kimberly?) who was the daughter of a high level govt poobah? Did I miss or forget a conclusion to that arc?

I dunno, this one seemed super weak. The only thing that really held my interest was Oleg.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Behind... Didn't read above... Made it almost a week without being spoiled on the big death... Saw THAT there was one, but not who, but then there was a bit of casting news referring to her as an alum... Oops.

Anyway. Doing 2-5 today. Airport shuttle scene in 2 is very intense...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: