Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Streaming TV catch-all; Netflix / Amazon / Hulu news & discussion
Topic Started: Jun 18 2015, 07:17 PM (3,414 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir I might watch Friends from College - might need something light and fun.

I assume Krystal and Bilki are talking about Fortitude... :P
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes I agree the show was kind of schizophrenic that way. The characters were interesting enough without the supernatural plot butt I'll have to see what season two brings. The show is really different though and I liked it.

We watch the first one of the Ozarks series and it looked pretty good.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
3 into the second season of fortitude and so far it's my favorite show this year. 3 into Ozarks as well and I like it alot it's pretty witty and there's a bit of black humor.

Tree left with House of Cards and not enjoying it so much because it reminds me of the mess that were in in reality

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is Season 2 of Fortitude more of a horror show or are they still trying to keep it more of a realistic drama?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well now that's a good question. We've only seen one wasp since they blew up the cavern but now decapitated people are showing up. I don't want to get into too many details but the woman who played Needra I think her name was on ER also is playing a physician on this show but she's kind of doing things experimentally which may not be to anybody's welfare. And the governor just went over to the Russian side of the lake and the Russians are definitely hiding something also.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
By the way Dennis Quaid is in season 2. I am hoping for a season 3 also. I actually like the show having non-american actors or at least people that I don't recognize because they are all very good and I hope to see them sometime in the future. But Stanley Tucci was a interesting addition to season 1 and Dennis Quaid is quite fine in season 2 so far.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
This may not be for everybody but right now I am loving fortitude better than I have loved anything in years.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I want to make a pitch again for Queen Sugar, although I believe it has one more re-showing of the mid-season finale before it's gone for a bit. Set in Louisiana, it tells the story of 3 adult siblings, each very different from one another who inherit some land/farm from their father. Almost the entire cast is black and my only real quibble with the show is that almost no one on the show sounds as though they spent any time at all south of the Mason Dixon, much less in rural Louisiana. The show is smart, visually lush and stunning, saturated with color. The family relationships seem true but not at all soap opera-y. Although I grew up as the granddaughter and niece of white farmers in Indiana, I recognize some of the issues, if not any of the specifics about growing any particular crop, etc. No one on the show is perfect but all are decent people trying hard to be good, decent people. Ok, maybe one of the semi-main characters is not particularly a good person and certainly was not a good husband or good man, frankly. Short seasons, I think each of the two has been about 8 episodes. I really like it.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What channel?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry: OWN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Sugar

Just saw that the first season is available on Hulu which magically, my 'devise' (tv? dvd box??) no longer allows. Presumably, the second season will appear there as well.

FWIW, I like the second season even more than the first.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
thanks for the rec. I'll check if I have it OnDemand. I don't have hulu...

Two plugs -

Home Fires (2 seasons, 16 episodes, cancelled by ITV to fan outrage, natch) A particular fave setting of mine, WWII village homefront - very Mrs. Miniverish. Outstanding cast and writing. Centers on the women of the village and their women's club. Controversy that a women centered show is cancelled when comparable numbers in a male dominated show would have been continued.

Promos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPFKOnfTwnU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHwn_Ewaaq4

Episode One online in some weird format to avoid trouble? if anyone wants to check it out. LOVE the theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V0uYFVnu70

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
(BBC, S1) Laugh out loud hilarious, weird and wacky, since it's Douglas Adams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNXaCBAjpo
Edited by KMInfinity, Aug 7 2017, 09:04 AM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is home fires on demand ornetflix?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think it's an Amazon add-on PBS channel. You can also purchase the episodes by season.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We finished fortitude and I just loved it. Several of the actors have been on Game of Thrones but we don't watch that so they were new to me. They were terrific. The quirks of the characters really made the show stand out and there was this Supernatural thing but I don't want to give a lot of way of course there was some government intervention as well.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looks like Season 2 of Fortitude will eventually be available at my local library, so I may get a chance to watch it in the Fall.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really loved the cast esp Richard Dormer who showed an amazing range of acting. I dont watch Thrones so I had not seen him. He is a new favorite.

We are liking Ozark a lot, 2 to go. Stephen King had a thumbs up for this on FB.

Nothing as good as Fortitude though...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We have been watching the keepers on Netflix and it is a documentary about abuse by priests in the late 60s in Baltimore and how it was covered up by the Archdiocese and the local police... it is really heart-wrenching and really well done. It's also sickening because unlike some of the fabricated TV shows this stuff really happened and multiple teenage girls were abused for years and of course these priests got away with it. One none that was suspicious that their behavior was murdered.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
We have watched 2 episodes of stranger things and I have to say not getting into this season as much as the last one but going to watch it because there is not much on regular TV which I complained about in another post. I like mindhunters a lot. There is something called the 5 which is Ok. We're watching glow and grace and Frankie during dinner which means it doesn't get our full attention. Any suggestions I am running out of shows and can't even rent a decent movie for months now.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
You're the third person this week who I've heard that S2 of Stranger Things isn't as good as the first, which is disappointing because while I enjoyed S1, I can't say that I loved it. It's slowly sliding down my list of things I feel like I need to watch.

Mindhunters is something that interests me but TCM has been keeping me busy with so many movies to watch. I'm assuming that will slow down now that Halloween is over.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't started Stranger Things Season 2 yet. I will plug--HARD--for Amazing Grace. I'm only half way through and it's really good. I read the novel years ago so it's familiar/fresh for me. Very good. May finish over the next couple of days. Strong recommendation.

I need to go back and see about Fortitude.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Did you mean Alias Grace? I keep getting a pop-up for it while I'm watching Mindhunter.

For some reason I thought Mindhunter was a documentary-style show, so I had to do a major mind adjustment as I started watching it. I'm enjoying it, though I think the interviews with the serial killers is the main reason I'm sticking with it. Wiki claims that dialogue is taken from real interviews with the killers.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I *did* mean Alias not amazing.

Finished it today and need to see if I still have the book.

Really good.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Maybe I'll watch that next. It will give me a reason to postpone S2 of Stranger Things for a little while longer.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Fortitude!!!

Mindhunters is very good. I also really like the Interrogations of the serial killers. But the way these 2 guys play off of one another is really good. So many times these partner things are so forced and phony.
But these guys are completely complementary to one another and both very interesting In their own ways

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The serial killers were the main attraction for me on Mindhunters but the main characters did start to grow on me as I got further into the season. I liked how the younger guy got more arrogant as it went along, and how their research wasn't used as intended when put in the hands of those with other agendas.

Going to sample Alias Grace next.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sarah Gadon was captivating as Grace Marks in Alias Grace. I loved how she seduced the doctor with her tale, then chuckled at the end when I realized she'd done the same to me. But I think Anna Paquin left more of a lasting impression with the infuriating Nancy Montgomery.

While browsing around at the library I noticed S2 of Fortitude and grabbed it. I'm four episodes in and while I'm curious about where it's going, I think I liked the story about the mammoth/wasps better than whatever is going on with this faceless man.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay, binged Victoria on Amazon via Masterpiece Theater, binged Orville OnDemand via Fox, binged Travelers Season 2 on Netflix. I highly recommend Travelers if I hadn't before. It's a good, thoughtful time-travel apocalypse-pending SF thriller. Cast is terrific. Lots of Canadian Stargate alum, and Eric McCormick from Will and Grace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LZwZmSoNo

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Second season of Fortitude It's not as good as the 1st but it gets better as the season goes on and you will be glad you saw it.

Also I were away don't like time travel I thought the show travelers was pretty good.

There is a German show call the darkThat is dubbed in English which is sort of annoying and the show is a bit confusing but I like it. My husband doesn't though watching it when I can.

Godless finale was great, Though some of the episode's for kind of slow and I didn't quite buy Michelle Dockerty in the role. Most of the cast
Was excellent.

We are going to start the 2nd season of the Crown soon.

We really liked mindhunters

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mom and I binged the two seasons of Stranger Things over four days (starting on Christmas). We enjoyed it a lot.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
If you have PBS the second series of Victoria is finally airing stateside in 2018, and will be on their player.

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: bilki
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV News & Misc. · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: