Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Leviathan Wakes (WARNING: Spoilers); aka The Expanse book series discussion
Topic Started: Jan 12 2016, 11:34 PM (914 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can add, based on discussions of the book elsewhere, that the people still do not actually KNOW what the protomolecule is. The are assuming it is BAD, a form of invasion, but hoping it can be harnessed by humans to allow for easy genetic modifications of extreme kinds. Want a dragon, want wings on kittens, want disease free human bodies, immortality even? They believe that correctly understanding and using the protomolecule will allow complete biologic creativity and control over life.

One of the characters in the book does suggest the protmolecule isn't an aggression anti-human plan, because it was sent WAY before human evolution began - sure, with the intent to terraform our solar system... But even on Star Trek...INTELLIGENT life is the criteria for the federation to establish or not establish colonies. The protomolecule's failure to activate on time allowed us to evolve, but wasn't designed specifically to STOP us since we weren't even "a mote in God's Eye" yet. :P
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well then I guess who thinks the protein molecule is a good idea to kill off humankind because obviously it would kill everybody.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wouldn't say the Protomolecule is killing everybody on Eros. It's more like it changes their form and uses them for its own agenda, although human consciousness has some impact on it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finally finished the book. I have only been reading at night so it took me forever. I thought the book got a little slow toward the middle but I have to say the last 20% or so really picked up and I enjoyed the ending. I really did like Miller a lot more in the book than I did in the show. I have to say in his place I would have done the nuke and destroyed the proto molecules even if it meant killing Julie and what remained of the people of Eros. But I guess then it would have been a single book and I think that this allows for future plots in the books I haven't read yet. I am behind in my reading and will read a couple of books that I have on the Kindle and then I think I'll probably read the next one of this series after that.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Have to stay there really was enough left in the book for another year of the series. And I would like to see some of the special effects on television from the descriptions of the things in the book.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was a little disappointed in how the show depicted Julie in the bathtub but I do remember being curious about how some of the events at the end of Book 1 would look on screen. Particularly, the big chase after the moving Eros.

I finished Book 2 last week. I can see why the show decided to include Avasarala before she shows up in the books. She's a real character!

Book 3 is doing something I thought was lacking in Book 2, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm hoping to start Book 2 this weekend. Praying my eyes feel better.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll say a prayer for you, KMI. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about Caliban's War.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I hope so as well. Its funny we talked about a book club and never settled on a book. Now a number of us is reading this series. I am enjoying the book

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What are you reading now, Krystal?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dean Koontz, Ashley Bell. I used to read quite a few of his books but sort of got away from them. My husband bought this one for the Kindle and I'm about halfway through it and like it a lot

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: